CCC - Character Compounding Contest! (Round Fifteenth: Palla, Catria and Est)

Hello and welcome to the 15th edition of the CCC.
Thank you all for the support.
Considering this round and the previous one were focused on Archanean characters, I’ll ask the winner to choose a character from another universe, probably from one of the GBA games that way even beginner artists can participate using the already existing portraits as a base. Thank you for your understanding.

The goal of this contest is to take an existing character (posted at the bottom!) and reimagine, reinvent, or rework them into a new form! What sort of new form? Taking inspiration from FE Heroes and other similar media, you simply redesign the character in one of (but not limited to) the following ways:

• De-age or age up the character. Make them lively, or make them cranky.
  • Turn them into another character! These ‘cosplay’ edits are not limited to mainline FE games or fangames, you can even do characters from other series, TV, etc.
  • Give the character a new design! Make them jacked, give them cool armour, redesign them from scratch, or whatever your heart desires.
  • Genderbend them! Turn Nino into a boy, or Jaffar into a girl! The possibilities here are endless!
  • RADICALLY redesign them: Make them into crazy demons, the Joker, Kirby(???), but try to keep the ‘essence’ of the original character in some way.
  • Why not just take a regular character’s design and make them into a halfbody? That could be fun too!

This contest is very free-form. You come up with the character’s redesign and try your best to get people to vote for you!

THE RULES
  1. All submissions to this contest will be F2E! This contest involves expanding the resources available for the Portrait Repository, so this is mandatory.
  2. Each round of the contest will feature three mugs.
  3. Artists may create an alternate outfit/design/etc for one or multiple characters, if they wish.
  4. You may submit multiple designs, if you wish. They will all count toward your one submission vote. (Voters will vote on all of the works you created for the three mugs at once)
  5. No pre-existing artwork! The point of this contest is to expand the repo, so we want new art. Also, it’s unfair to compete against artwork that may have had weeks or months of editing work put into it.
  6. Eye/mouth frames are preferable, but optional. They aren’t necessary, but it would be awesome if you included them!
  7. Characters must either be from Fire Emblem 1-17 (Or whatever the current new game ends up being) or one of the Fire Emblem spinoffs, such as Heroes.
  8. All characters must be sprited in GBA format!
    (Hackbox size is not necessary)
    (Halfbodies/fullbodies are A-OK!)
    (Do try to keep the colour count at or below 16 though, that would be great)
  9. Submissions must at least somewhat resemble the original character! Even with the Demon Anna example earlier, it’s still possible to see that she looks like Anna; use that as the extreme guideline.

First and Second Place each pick one character for the next round, however, first place chooses a theme that the other two characters have to follow.
Then the community gets to vote on the third character they want to see as well!

This competition is very casual. It’s not intended to be a hardcore demonstration of spriting prowess or anything, though that can be fun, too. The primary purpose is to create lots of cool mugs for the community to use.

PREVIOUS CONTEST WINNERS

Round One
Round Two
Round Three
Round Four
Round Five
Round Six
Round Seven
Round Eight
Round Nine
Round Ten
Round Eleven
Round Twelve
Round Thirteen
Round Fourteen

This month’s theme is the Whitewings.

Here are some designs currently listed for each character.

Character 1: Palla, the oldest

imageSomeDenseGuy - Palla

Credits to @Obsidian_Daddy and @SomeDenseGuy respectively

Character 2: Catria, the middle one

CatriaFramesBatria

Credits to @CavalryUnits and @MeatOfJustice respectively

Character 3: Est, the youngest

imagePortrait Editor backup11.backup.20210128174736.gba_8@08 Est_017A90B0EST_Fixed

Credits to @Obsidian_Daddy, @TAS20XX and Scottythebody14 respectively once again

For those of you who aren’t quite sure about what sorts of designs you could make, here are the characters’ wiki-pages, complete with alternate designs and artwork.

Palla’s Gallery: Palla/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom
Catria’s Gallery: Catria/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom
Est’s Gallery: Est/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

Remember… really wild designs are amazing too! Let’s get some wild, extravagant, and unique character designs going! Reach into your imagination, and the first place could be yours!

The original deadline was the 15th of February 2023, it is now expanded to the 20th of February 2023.

8 Likes

Awfully quiet here…
Est
Here have this Echoes Est then, used shanna as a base, F2E with credits
next one will probably be Palla using fiora as a base >:)
again, am is too tired to make the minimug :face_holding_back_tears:

21 Likes

Personally, I am of the opinion that the deadline should be extended by another week if not enough entries come in. The point of this contest is to increase the repo, is it not?

3 Likes

Sure, if you think it’s better to postpone the deadline I shall do so, I must admit seeing few submissions saddens me a bit. Thank you for your suggestion, if you or someone else have ideas on how to improve the concept, I’ll gladly consider them.

it can’t help if ppl are not interested to the trio

more choices is better
i simply have no mood for them

3 Likes

Here’s a Catria and an Est based on their regular Archanea designs
Catria{Wasdye}Est {Wasdye}

Might do a Palla later on if I have time

13 Likes

Originally I didn’t intend to participate, but I’ve been playing some FE3 recently and decided “why not”
So: I made the three sisters based on the in-game FE3 portraits:

I also did variants without the hand for Palla and Catria. All the portraits below:

24 Likes

ayoo @JeyTheCount can i use catria’s portrait?

Sure thing.

i got all of them when i save image why is that?

初代三姐妹
Complete before the deadline.

28 Likes

Taking into account @CanDy’s suggestion, I extended the deadline from the 15th to the 20th.
It was done directly after I read the message but wasn’t addressed publicly.
I’m sorry if that wasn’t made clear sooner. I’ll mention it once more, the deadline for this round is now the 20th of February 2023.

I wish you all a wonderful day.

4 Likes

Dracoknight Palla:
palla

Also a jank fullbody

pallafullbody

5 Likes

Welcome to the 15th round of CCC voting!

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Round 1: 44 entries submitted by 21 contestants.
Round 2: 21 entries submitted by 13 contestants.
Round 3: 34 entries submitted by 14 contestants.
Round 4: 49 entries submitted by 15 contestants. The biggest round yet!
Round 5: 39 entries submitted by 13 contestants.
Round 6: 20 entries submitted by 9 contestants.
Round 7: 12 entries submitted by 7 contestants.
Round 8: 24 entries submitted by 10 contestants.
Round 9: 26 entries submitted by 19 Contestants
Round 10: 24 entries submitted by 10 Contestants
Round 11: 20 entries submitted by 12 Contestants
Round 12: 25 entries submitted by 10 Contestants
Round 13: 11 entries submitted by 4 Contestants
Round 14: 11 entries submitted by 5 Contestants
Round 15: 16 entries submitted by 5 Contestants

Today’s vote is for your favourite Palla, Catria, or Est!

Pick your favourite contestants! Vote for everyone you like!
  • Est
  • Wasdye
  • 初代三姐妹
  • palla
    pallafullbody

0 voters

Who will win? This poll will conclude in about three days! Let’s get to voting! Pick as many as you like!

1 Like

@RedBean wins first place, followed by @Plant_Academy being second.
Considering we delayed the deadline and that February is a shorter month, I don’t think we’ll have time for voting the third character, I hope no one is disappointed by this decision, however, it will return next time unless I receive feedback to remove it and have a different format.
Anyway, here are the characters they have chosen for the next round:

Camilla, Elise and Felicia from Fire Emblem Fates!

Next round will begin on March 1st of 2023

7 Likes

Camilla for sure doesn;t have enough artwork yet

Elise, though.

2 Likes

mind you, this is by no means a complaint, just expressing my opinion.

while we can always see some cool stuff once in a while due to the contest variation rules (the amount of sprites people did before for Fates was ridiculous), we should also consider this: if you put a popular character on display, you’re bound to have more people willing to make mugs for them, otherwise with the less popular ones it’s no surprise that we get less interest and motivation to do stuff.

don’t get me wrong, doing FE portraits is always good for both spriting/editing practice and increasing repo assets at the same time, but it is also true that working on the “usual” characters that have already been done to death and beyond, over and over again, can eventually become quite boring in the long run.

some people also prefer doing non-FE stuff when they feel like doing so, since there’s an ocean of other videogame franchises out there.
maybe having different contests based on different videogames could open even more doors for spriters, not sure if something like that has already been tried and tested before.
now we even get AI generators for portraits, so that could be another resource to consider.

options are many, actually. all it takes is just to give them a try i guess.

5 Likes

I just don’t see why all the mugs have to share a “theme” for the recent CCCs. No offense meant to any of the recent winners but I enjoyed the CCC when there was a variety of different characters to choose from for these contests.

sorry but I’ll pass this one as well.

Personally I would like to have at least one gba character