Hello everyone, I wanted to thank all of you once again for the success of the last round, I hope next rounds including this one will follow this trend moving forward!
You may have noticed we changed the way we phrase the title, it’s for simplicity’s sake, writing “Character Compounding Contest” and the number of each round in full letters made the titles redundantly long. I hope it appears nicer.
The goal of this contest is to take an existing character (posted at the bottom!) and reimagine, reinvent, or rework them into a new form! What sort of new form? Taking inspiration from FE Heroes and other similar media, you simply represent or redesign the character in one of (but not limited to) the following ways:
- De-age or age up the character. Make them lively, or make them cranky.
- Turn them into another character! These ‘cosplay’ edits are not limited to mainline FE games or fangames, you can even do characters from other series, TV, etc.
- Give the character a new design! Make them jacked, give them cool armour, redesign them from scratch, or whatever your heart desires.
- Genderbend them! Turn Nino into a boy, or Jaffar into a girl! The possibilities here are endless!
- RADICALLY redesign them: Make them into crazy demons, the Joker, Kirby(???), but try to keep the ‘essence’ of the original character in some way.
- Why not just take a regular character’s design and make them into a halfbody? That could be fun too!
This contest is very free-form. You come up with the character’s representation or redesign and try your best to get people to vote for you!
- All submissions to this contest will be F2E! This contest involves expanding the resources available for the Portrait Repository, so this is mandatory.
- Artists may create custom battle animations, music, map sprites, or any form of art related to the featured characters, however, only posts with a portrait will be eligible for the vote.
- Artists may create an alternate outfit/design/etc for one or multiple characters, if they wish.
- You may submit multiple designs, if you wish. They will all count toward your one submission vote. (Voters will vote on all of the works you created at once)
- No pre-existing artwork! The point of this contest is to expand the repo, so we want new art. Also, it’s unfair to compete against artwork that may have had weeks or months of editing work put into it.
- Eye/mouth frames are preferable, but optional. They aren’t necessary, but it would be awesome if you included them!
- Characters must either be from Fire Emblem 1-17 (Or whatever the current new game ends up being) or one of the Fire Emblem spinoffs, such as Heroes.
- All characters must be sprited in GBA format!
(Hackbox size is not necessary)
(Halfbodies/fullbodies are A-OK!)
(Do try to keep the colour count at or below 16 though, that would be great)
- Submissions must at least somewhat resemble the original character! Even with the Demon Anna example earlier, it’s still possible to see that she looks like Anna; use that as the extreme guideline.
- First and Second Place each pick at least one character for the next round,
then the community gets to vote on the last character(s) they also want to see!
This competition is very casual. It’s not intended to be a hardcore demonstration of spriting prowess or anything, though that can be fun, too. The primary purpose is to create lots of cool mugs for the community to use.
PREVIOUS CONTEST WINNERS
Here are some designs currently listed for each character.
Character 1: Cherche, Wyvern Friend
Cherche doesn’t have a portrait yet, let’s fix that and be the first to make one!
Character 2: Libra, Fetching Friar
Libra doesn’t have a single portrait either, it’s your time to shine!
Character 3: Olivia, Blushing Beauty
For those of you who aren’t quite sure about what sorts of designs you could make, here are the characters’ wiki-pages, complete with alternate designs and artwork.
Remember… really wild designs are amazing too! Let’s get some wild, extravagant, and unique character designs going! Reach into your imagination, and the first place could be yours!
The deadline is the 1st of September.
Have fun everyone!