CCC - Character Compounding Contest! (Round Fifteenth: Palla, Catria and Est)

Apologies if I’m a little late and bordering necroposting, but I wanted to give my two-cents about what was mentioned before.

The characters chosen are chosen because the winners chose those characters (besides the 3rd community voted character). If you want different characters, you simply have to win and choose them yourself. Obviously, that’s easier said than done, but it’s a reward for the winners. It’s there to motivate you to do your best and make quality mugs, which in turn, further helps the community with said quality mugs.

Side note, I don’t know who needs to hear this, but telling yourself “But I’ll never be able to win” is not a good mindset.

• You’re relegating yourself either to failure or avoidance. If you don’t try at all, then yes, you won’t be able to win. If you try, but with zero conviction and assume it won’t do well, you won’t bother much and be lax with your work; but if you try your best to make a good piece, there’s always a chance of success.
  • Even if you don’t get first or second place, the experience still makes for practice, especially if you’re giving it your all. It makes for a learning experience and gives the community something of effort to use, and yourself something to be proud of regardless.

If you don’t like the characters chosen, nobody is forcing you to participate. There’s been several rounds I’ve been interested in joining, but ultimately decided not to because I didn’t care for the characters. Not everyone is going to like the same characters, and that’s fine.

As for the want for at least one GBA character, I’m not sure what that would achieve. Sure, it’ll make splicing and editing a little easier, but that doesn’t mean you can’t splice and edit GBA mugs to look like non-GBA characters. I think people would appreciate more creative and unique splices than edits of the pre-existing mugs, but that may just be me.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. There’s more I could say, especially on the previous paragraph, but I’ll bite my tongue for now. Thanks for reading.

10 Likes

Also very sorry for not participating this round despite basically setting the theme. Art motivation has been kicking my ass, so I didn’t find the time to make anything.

4 Likes

I support your point,BuskHusker.
The purpose of my participation in this activity is to see more good works.Several times, to be honest, I am quite happy because of your artwork-for example, the theme of Minerva I picked,I was looking forward to your showtime!

3 Likes

You know what, imma insert myself in the fray as well and support busk’s overall point

Heck just look at round 13 of the CCC, all GBA characters but it was the least competitive round, being only 4 submitters +me included, which made me reach to a conclusion to not vote for me during that round in fear that I would pick uninteresting characters again. I don’t think making it atleast 1 GBA character would make any difference too. (and now I felt like picking felicia is making me reconsider my decision)

6 Likes

5 Likes

It seem the bipolar situation (all gba character and no gba character)will lead to the same result

we can’t blame people to make their character choice as well as we can’t blame people not participate the contest, fair enough

good luck for keeping ccc alive, but if ccc end up being inactive like frog ang gamer , just let it be.
we cannot stop the unavoidable fate

I think this’ll be my final response for this thread
imo, I think what the CCC is currently suffering similarly is burnout (like me \o.o/) if that makes sense. When you focus on something continuously, people will reasonably get tired of it and lose motivation (speaking from experience kek). Simply, the solution is perhaps give it some time to breath (maybe instead of 2 weeks, give it like a month or month and a half of breathing time) so that once it’s back, people are recharged and ready to sprite again (Or it could be the same as before and as if as nothing changed).
Also I think most people are also busy with their irl as well sooo-

3 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback, it really helps.
I might follow @Plant_Academy’s advice and spread out more each round of the CCC. I don’t know what the major part of the community wants and explicitly sharing your point of view contributes to making the CCC more enjoyable for everyone.
At the end of round sixteen, after deciding on the third character, I’ll also add different polls in another post to choose how the following rounds should be (frequency of each round, character options, etc…)
Hopefully, together, as a community can create and/or improve a format that appeals to everyone.

4 Likes

Personally, I think spacing out the contests and loosening the deadlines will allow for more entries and put less anxiety on the less inexperienced or busy spriters who still want to enter. I still have 9 days to finish my sprites, and with my schedule I still feel like it won’t be enough to finish all three entries. But that remains to be seen.

3 Likes