Hello everyone and welcome to the sixteenth iteration of the CCC.
First, I wanted to thank everyone for continuing to support this format.
Then, I read and considered everyone’s feedback and quickly wanted to address some issues.
It seems the character choices for this round and maybe the previous ones I hosted aren’t unanimous. I’m sorry to learn this, I voluntarily forfeited the host’s right to choose the last character, so the community and winners are the ones who select the next characters, of course, they aren’t to blame.
It’s true I asked that the characters chosen follow a certain theme or have them linked with another character, which was the case for the older CCCs (Anna and Jake, Ephraim and Eirika, Nino and Jaffar, Elphin and Larum etc…) and have the format make a comeback to its roots of sorts, yet, if it limits creativity and removes any motivation for the artists, I’ll think of something else for the future. Thus I wanted to apologize if you have been disappointed in the recent rounds.
Furthermore, I already pointed it out last time, because they haven’t been any GBA characters in the last few rounds, if the winners don’t choose at least one of them, the third character options will be restricted to GBA characters. Hopefully, that way, even beginner artists can contribute more easily to the CCC.
I wish we can all, together, find ways to make this event more fun and memorable, thank you again for the feedback.
The goal of this contest is to take an existing character (posted at the bottom!) and reimagine, reinvent, or rework them into a new form! What sort of new form? Taking inspiration from FE Heroes and other similar media, you simply redesign the character in one of (but not limited to) the following ways:
- De-age or age up the character. Make them lively, or make them cranky.
- Turn them into another character! These ‘cosplay’ edits are not limited to mainline FE games or fangames, you can even do characters from other series, TV, etc.
- Give the character a new design! Make them jacked, give them cool armour, redesign them from scratch, or whatever your heart desires.
- Genderbend them! Turn Nino into a boy, or Jaffar into a girl! The possibilities here are endless!
- RADICALLY redesign them: Make them into crazy demons, the Joker, Kirby(???), but try to keep the ‘essence’ of the original character in some way.
- Why not just take a regular character’s design and make them into a halfbody? That could be fun too!
This contest is very free-form. You come up with the character’s redesign and try your best to get people to vote for you!
- All submissions to this contest will be F2E! This contest involves expanding the resources available for the Portrait Repository, so this is mandatory.
- Each round of the contest will feature three mugs.
- Artists may create an alternate outfit/design/etc for one or multiple characters, if they wish.
- You may submit multiple designs, if you wish. They will all count toward your one submission vote. (Voters will vote on all of the works you created for the three mugs at once)
- No pre-existing artwork! The point of this contest is to expand the repo, so we want new art. Also, it’s unfair to compete against artwork that may have had weeks or months of editing work put into it.
- Eye/mouth frames are preferable, but optional. They aren’t necessary, but it would be awesome if you included them!
- Characters must either be from Fire Emblem 1-17 (Or whatever the current new game ends up being) or one of the Fire Emblem spinoffs, such as Heroes.
All characters must be sprited in GBA format!
(Hackbox size is not necessary)
(Halfbodies/fullbodies are A-OK!)
(Do try to keep the colour count at or below 16 though, that would be great)
- Submissions must at least somewhat resemble the original character! Even with the Demon Anna example earlier, it’s still possible to see that she looks like Anna; use that as the extreme guideline.
First and Second Place each pick one character for the next round.
Then the community gets to vote on the third character they want to see as well!
However, the third character options will be based on the first place’s choice.
This competition is very casual. It’s not intended to be a hardcore demonstration of spriting prowess or anything, though that can be fun, too. The primary purpose is to create lots of cool mugs for the community to use.
PREVIOUS CONTEST WINNERS
Here are some designs currently listed for each character.
Character 1: Camilla, the Bewitching Beauty, the oldest princess of Nohr
Character 2: Elise, the Budding Flower, the youngest princess of Nohr
Credits to @Hugin
Character 3: Felicia, the Maid Mayhem, at the service of Nohr’s royalty
Credits once more to @JeyTheCount
For those of you who aren’t quite sure about what sorts of designs you could make, here are the characters’ wiki-pages, complete with alternate designs and artwork.
Remember… really wild designs are amazing too! Let’s get some wild, extravagant, and unique character designs going! Reach into your imagination, and the first place could be yours!
The deadline is the 15th of March 2023.