Proud to announce a new hack I’ve created, titled Fire Emblem: Vision Quest . This is an FE8 hack built with FEBuilder.
We now have an official hack discord! Come join us here!
Want to include this section to provide more insight into my design choices. I’ve been an FE fan since FE7 hit the west. I knew of Fire Emblem through melee and immediately went to purchase the game after my friend showed me the game where “Marth uses an axe and Roy was mistranslated”. (For the record, the first chapter he showed me was New Resolve, and the first animation I remember is watching Guy crit-kill a monk. I was immediately intrigued).
Since then, I’ve played every mainline FE game. While I’ve enjoyed all of them to varying degrees, my favorites are FE3 (feels the most Fire Emblem-y of all the games, I’d say), FE5 (neat mechanics, Dalsin’s my favorite character in the series, and Leif is my favorite lord.), and FE9 (best cast, worldbuilding and writing). I got into emulation when I wanted to play FE6 in English, and then learned about rom-hacking through Tactics Universe (better known now as The Last Promise). I wanted to make my own hack since I learned you could do it, and used to mess around in Nightmare to change classes around. Once I learned of all the new things available to hackers in FE8 (which was untouched back in the day), I decided to dive in after writing up a script.
When it came to making a hack, I wanted to create a game that would be challenging and fun, while offering enough variance to (potentially) make each playthrough unique. I dislike the newer entries emphasis on skills, so I wanted to implement a more pared down skill system that added unit flavor without making anyone gamebreaking (ie there are no proc skills in this hack, while all foot units get shove). I also wanted to make effective weapons useful and enemies threatening, so I think (From my initial testing) that this game is more player phase focused on the whole, but I’ll leave that judgment up to you. I made common throwing weapons weaker and heavier so they’re less desirable to use, and gave swords more of a niche by creating a diverse array of effective swords.
From a story perspective, I wanted to make a story that deviated from the norm and focused on small scale events, similar to Thracia. I also wanted the central character to not be of noble birth (and not find out he’s a noble later on in the story, I promise). Additionally, while the story does touch on more serious topics, I tried to pepper in some humor and lighten things up. I hope that the story isn’t cringey and that you find it serviceable. (I promise the endgame boss is not controlled by a dragon)
The continent of Yaska is home to six nations, but the largest and most powerful is Nevan, an Empire composed of states that swear allegiance to the Emperor. In the rural state of Belaro, Lord Gradin, head of state, imposes cruel taxes on the people and jails those that cannot pay.
A young farmer, Storch, along with his hometown friends, fear the worst. Seeking to protect themselves and their families, they look to procure funds through less than savory means. Conflicted, the group begins their plunge into banditry in hopes for a better tomorrow.
- Story set on a new continent.
- 18 playable chapters today, with 30 total planned.
- Concept I’m calling ‘inverse branched promotions’ (ie There’s an unpromoted Axe Fighter and Bow Fighter class, then they promote into Warrior and gain the weapon they couldn’t use unpromoted.)
- Custom weapons (and rehashes of Kaga-era weapons)
- Early game Warp & Rescue.
- Generic female enemies.
- Armor knights with 5 move. (because I want you to use them)
- Pared down skills to give units a niche without making anything wonky
- Each class gets a skill at level 15 unpromoted, mono-type infantry get a crit bonus at level 5 promoted.
- Universal promotion items
- Stronger bows (and no 1 range BS).
- Fog of War (but not Thracia FOW, I promise.)
- FE5 style trading (SNES is SNEBEST)
- New (and old) tracks
- Escape maps with spooky bosses.
- Support points are gained if units are within 3 spaces of each other, same as the range for the support bonuses themselves.
Patch Download and Instructions:
- You’ll need to use a UPS patching tool, such as NUPS.
- You can download the file here on Dropbox.
Screenshots: (note some of the mugs are not in the current build, but are to be used in the next release)
- Triggering talk convo with Dewi/Onisim causes the chapter to end
- 1-3’s end event can cause the game to freeze, skipping the event avoids this problem.
- Project Lead - Pandan
- Writing - Pandan
- Eventing: Pandan (w/ support from Pikmin1211 and Snakey1)
- Maps: Pandan
- Palettes: Spear Doggo, Pikmin1211, Author Pendragon, Pandan
- Music: Pandan, A_Reliable_Chair, Scraiza
- Portraits: Laurent_Lacroix, Melia, Zaim/Zmr, Card, Zanyru, DerTheVaporeon, Levin, Peerless, myst1c1p4nd4, Author Pendragon (& Pandan for concept sprites/edits)
- Playtesting: Bloopy, WarPath, A_Reliable_Chair, KMoran2085, Bartz, Josh, Jace
Credits (please correct me if this is wrong/inaccurate)
7743 for FEBuilder and willingness to provide technical support
Tequila for patches: Show Battle Stats w/ Anims off
Circles Everywhere: Skill system
Circles Everywhere: (and VBA team): Gaiden music MIDIs, among other things I can’t think of off the top of my head.
Klokinator for compiling the Animations Repository, made my life so much easier. There’s a few with credits, but most are uncredited, so apologies to those I missed.
NickT for his collection of free-to-use mugs
MK404 for FE10 Fighter battle animation
LG’s sprite freebies
Capibara’s F2U mug collection
Black Mage for Female Fighter
Temp for Female Warrior
The Blind Archer for Halberdier 2.0
Subbastian for Wyvern Axe Map Sprite
Sme for FE3 music rips and amazing MIDI -> GBA guide.
Alusq for the Armored Merc and Soldier 2.0
Team SALVAGED for cavalier animations
Scraiza for the Bow Fighter map sprite
Sephie for the sword pegasus map sprite
Flasuban for the soldier M and F map sprites
Rasdel for the sword brigand map sprite
Pikmin1211, Maiser6, Ukelele, SD9K, Temp, Black Mage, and Wan for the F!rogue repalette animation
InvdrZim13 and Tequila for playtesting and sharing valuable feedback very early on in development of the hack
And many more
How Can I Help?
- Download and play the game: I would love to get player feedback to see if there’s anything I can tweak. I want the game to be beatable playing Iron Man, but I also don’t want to create juggernauts. I’d love to see your endgame stats and get your feedback on overall unit viability and utility.
- Report bugs!
- Tips and advice - I am new to hacking and there are a lot of neat things out there that I do not know how to do yet. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Whether it be sprites, animations, maps, events, or general advice - it’s all welcome and incredibly appreciated.
- Join the team! Currently looking for portrait/mug artists and playtesters to join the team.