[FE8] Fire Emblem : Andromeda (9 Chapters Available!) [Second Beta]

TitleNew Game
Difficulty34532523523523
Rated S for Soulslike… Viewer discretion is advised.

After a year of development, I’m proud to present: Fire Emblem : Andromeda.

What’s in this hack?

Synopsis

Even the brightest of lights must wane into darkness…

In the wake of a calamity, a priestess of Naga embarks to deliver a sacred tome back to her homeland, lest unspeakable horrors be unleashed upon the world. Joined by comrades new and old, the journey takes her across the continent of Andromeda, into a collision course with men, demons, and eventually gods… just how far will you go to preserve what you hold dear?

General

★ Andromeda, a brand new titular continent rife with history and intrigue.

★ A grand, nefarious plot that spans beyond the Outrealms.

★ A minimalist party of unique characters, numbering less than the playable cast of Sacred Stones.

★ A total of five lords, protagonists who each have a role to play, both in and out of combat.

★ A matchup-oriented, player phase focused combat system that leverages classes, skills, stats, and equipment to create synergy between units.

★ A fair but masochistic challenging gameplay inspired by Dark Souls. Battles are tough, gruelling, and deadly, requiring savestates thought and careful consideration. Misplays are deliberately punishing, with action economy an ever-tightening noose around your neck. Bosses are menacing and require a strategic approach. Enemies don’t hit like wet noodle or flail around missing their attacks. But then again, neither do you.

★ A narrative that adapts to the choices you make. The game remembers. No longer will that character who died remain forgotten. Down to that obscure Talk event you missed or that character you purposely killed or failed to save, the narrative will punish and/or reward you. The abuse of savestates to avoid “undesirable” outcomes is discouraged. For an organic experience, it’s better to let the chips fall where they may.

★ A choice between two difficulty settings: Tears and Blood. Tears is tailored for casual players and is meant to echo traditional Fire Emblem gameplay. Blood, on the other hand, is designed for daring players who want the adventurous Andromeda experience. I want y’all to play on Blood lmao

★ No hand-holding. Gameplay hints are sometimes dispensed through dialogue, but most of the game follows the figure-it-out-by-yourself mentality. Thinking outside the box is often rewarded. No situation in game is impossible to overcome if you keep your wits about you.

★ Integration with FEBuilder’s work support. This means that you can automatically update Andromeda to the latest version with one click if you’re playing on builder. Data is automatically sent to me for review. All feedback received is available for viewing on Andromeda’s public docs, linked below. It’s the Hall of Fame

★ The choice to play in Casual Mode and Fixed Growths Mode!

★ A fully custom soundtrack composed of loud and moody arrangements you won’t find in the repo. Decent headphones are recommended. If it slaps, it’s in Andromeda

★ A fully functional Ranking System. Starting from Chapter 1, every time you clear a Chapter, you’re given a grade from C to S based on what you accomplished. S-Rank is only available on Blood difficulty and grants an extra scene as well as a bonus reward.

★ A fully functional Generic Replacement System. If a named character dies, an average generic replacement is given to the player. Generics are auto-levelled according to story progression. When they die, they come back with their stats and inventories reset. In exchange for pseudo-immortality, these generics don’t have access to skills learned in previous levels or unique Prfs.

Plus many more features in-game…

Game Mechanics

★ Fixed growths mode. An option is given to toggle fixed growths at the start of the game. Regardless of your choice, enemy growths are fixed for fairer gameplay.

★ Casual mode. An option is given to toggle casual mode at the start of the game. Enabling casual mode disables the generic replacement system. Units also never grieve.

★ Increased weapon triangle bonuses. A weapon triangle advantage now secures +30 Hit and +3 Mt and vice-versa, encouraging unit diversity. By design, it’s entirely possible to do nil when at a weapon triangle disadvantage.

★ Effective critical threshold. If your unit scores a Crit chance below 15, it’s an automatic 0. This means that 1% crits have been removed from the game and Swordmasters with Crit+ are now better than ever.

★ An autosave system that saves at the beginning of your turn, not your last action. If you misclick or do something stupid, feel free to reset and resume (reset as soon as death quotes drop just to be safe). This is a compromise for people who just can’t let units die

★ True 2RN. Wiggling your arrow no longer advances the RNG table, and loading a savestate or resuming a suspend no longer guarantees the same outcome. Numbers are now non-deterministic, meaning they get drawn on the fly for spicier gameplay.

★ Modernized interface. Toggle dance and staff animations off with an in-game setting. Cycle through all units on the map, including enemies, using the L button. Have a minimug box that displays up to five skills and some fancy numbers. When attacking, units can change between their weapons with the left and right keys to decide which one to use. Change targets with the up and down keys.

★ DSFE-style dodge. Refrain from dodge-tanking with units that aren’t designed to have consistent dodge. As a side-effect, terrain, positioning, and the weapon triangle matter a lot more when picking fights. Don’t pick fights you can’t win

★ Fates-style experience. Low-level units gain tons of EXP while high-level units get less. Avoid funneling all your EXP into a single juggernaut, invest in a well-rounded party instead. Most chapters are designed with full deployment assumed. Sadly Eren can’t solo the game

★ Faster map and battle animations. I’ve shortened the five-second wait when healing on a fort or with a Vulnerary, or when initiating and ending combat. Further speed up battle and spell animations by holding R. Even better, play with animations off

★ Faction palettes. Each enemy now has a unique color scheme, instead of everyone wearing red and green like 'tis the season.

★ Secrets. Fully explore each chapter to unlock unique interactions and item rewards. A certain unit visiting a village may yield a different interaction than usual… and may further impact events down the road. Unlocking chains of secrets may yield additional challenge chapters. These gaiden chapters are optional and grant bountiful rewards upon completion… but be prepared.

★ Relatively bug-free. Rigorous testing has been done to cover most events that can arise during cheat-free gameplay. Known issues—these issues do not significantly impact gameplay—as well as how to deal with them are documented below.

Supports

★ A modernized Support System. Units can now have up to five support partners (but only one A-Rank). Units now gain support points and bonuses from up to five tiles away. Say no to slowing down your cavalier to grind support with your mage.

★ Over 100 sprawling support chains. And paired endings. Lots and lots of hyperbolic child units paired endings.

★ Gated supports. Support are now locked behind story progression, with each rank corresponding to an act. Act 1 unlocks C-Ranks, Act 2 unlocks B-Ranks, and Act 3 unlocks A-Ranks.

★ Dynamic supports. Starting a support chain may now permanently lock another. Ever wonder why that honorable knight who just proposed is still going out with another girl? Now you don’t have to.

★ Permanent supports. Supports now stick with units even if their partner dies, encouraging careful gameplay. These are people, not faceless generics. Character endings will also change if their support partner happens to be dead by the end of the game.

Skill System

★ The prolific bundle of wizardry known as the Skill System, with all the QOL features that come installed with it on FEBuilderGBA (and more). Most skills have been deliberately reengineered to fit game design along with various other micro-adjustments.

★ No skill bonanza. Instead, characters have one Personal Skill while Classes have one Class Skill. Most Classes learn a Skill at levels 5 and 10. At most, discounting Canto and Heroes’ movement, units can only learn up to 6 skills.

★ Coherent skill design. Skills have been welded onto Classes to build a specific niche, making that choice between Falcoknight, Dark Flier, and Sky Knight or Paladin, Juggernaut, and Ranger an actual competition.

★ No proc skills. Proc Skills are cringe scarce, largely absent, putting emphasis on cold, hard math and decision-making instead of random dice rolls. Annoying gotcha! skills such as Counter, Vantage, and Countermagic have also been scrubbed off enemies entirely, although they are present on some gimmicky bosses.

Items

★ Unique PRFs for almost every character. Even if they’re not a lord.

★ Infinite-use PRFs, ballistas, and legendary weapons. Because I want you to use them. Who wants to end up with 50/50 uses on a Rapier in the final chapter anyway

★ Reworked stat boosters. All vanilla stat boosters except for the Angelic Robe now function while in a unit’s inventory, giving you the choice between using them or letting them take up a slot (a significant choice since inventory slots are a premium in this game).

★ Equipment. Essentially expensive stat boosters that grant skills for more flexible gameplay. Deck your units out in specialized gear designed for specific roles. For example, tanks get gear that allow them to protect their allies; strikers get items that compliment their glass cannon style.

★ Lethality. Some weapons and tomes now ignore a percentage of defence or resistance, preventing tanks from becoming untouchable juggernauts. Steels and Silvers in particular ignore 10% and 20% respectively, while Siege tomes and S-Rank masterwork weapons ignore a whopping 50%. By design, this has no significant impact on squishy units because half of 0 Def is still 0 Def.

★ Improved fog and poison. Poison appears more frequently and now scales according to your progress, so better keep your Antitoxins and Restore handy.

★ Buffed staves. Now healers can use Heal from up to 3 tiles away. Restore now has Physic range to make Berserk, Sleep, and Poison less annoying.

★ Accessible magic swords and daggers. Rebalanced 1–2 range axes and lances. Bows are king of the hill when it comes to ranged combat. Archers have glocks will destroy your units if left unchecked.

★ Universal 2–3 range bows. Snipers have AK-47’s live up to their name and can now hit enemies from across the map, with specialized bows that can attack from up to 10 tiles away (ballistas can reach 15). To balance things out, bows with extreme attack ranges—siege bows—hit hard, but can’t double or counterattack. Like real snipers or something, go figure

★ Buffed Vulneraries and Elixirs. And Repair Kits. Repair generic swords, axes, lances, and bows instead of discarding them. Save the gold to buy pricier equipment. Generic item costs and durabilities have been reworked to make Repair Kits and PRFs a central part of the game economy. For convenience in using Repair Kits, a base-camp style Interlude occurs once about every five chapters.

★ A Member Card by Chapter 1. Enjoy looking for those secret shops.

Classes

★ Custom classes and animations. Big thanks to the wonderful community!

★ Newly rebalanced classes, with fat promotion bonuses designed to compliment a certain niche.

★ Reworked promotion branches. No more characters ditching their pegasus companion for a wyvern or everyone promoting into cavalry for Horse Emblem.

★ Revamped promotion system. Promoted Classes now have a set of Boons and Banes. When a unit promotes, Boon stats gain +5 while Bane stats decrease by a value ranging from anywhere up to –10. No more funny 30 Spd General or 69 Hp Swordmaster with capped stats. Incidentally, this also makes hybrid Classes more viable. Your Mage Knights can now use Swords reliably with that +5 Str on promotion while your Dark Fliers hit hard right off the bat with +5 Mag.

Magic

★ Revised anima magic. Choose between fire, wind, or thunder, with each branch having a distinct identity, segregated into five tiers from novice to master. Fire is effective versus beasts and cavaliers, wind versus fliers, and thunder versus armors. As a consequence, light infantry classes are now the safest units to use. Anima triangle coded out because it just adds more cognitive load

★ Revised light and dark magic. Light magic provides buffs while dark magic inflicts debuffs, with each tier having a different niche. A spell having a higher tier does not necessarily make it “better”. Adapt your spells to the task at hand, and you will prevail.

★ Rebalanced siege tomes. Occupying the B-Rank Intermediate tier, siege tomes now hit like a nuke, but are rare, have low uses, can’t double, and are inaccurate compared to their more common siege bow counterparts.

★ On-hit spell effects when attacking with most magic weapons. Just like the final boss of The Last Promise, the Levin Sword actually zaps on hit. voiceover not included

Current Build (Beta 2.0)

What’s in Beta 2.0?

All of the above and…

★ 20 playable characters and 9 playable chapters: a short prologue, chapters 1–6, a leisurely interlude, and a gaiden chapter you probably won’t unlock on your first run.

★ Around 7 hours of gameplay, more if you replay to search for secrets and easter eggs.

★ Supports for the playable cast. However, for now, the Support Room has been hidden to avoid spoilers. Nothing’s stopping you from peeking with builder, but please don’t do that.

★ A complete 69-track Sound Room fully unlocked for your pleasure. Each track that plays in-game is custom, arranged by me for the FEGBA engine. Some songs may sound familiar to you, some may be completely new.

★ Public playtesting is required to iron out gameplay and discover unforeseen bugs.

★ New ★ Screenshots

srgsrhrshsehsehse5235236236262315112045325938fawfawfawfawfaw85141

Known Issues

★ Sometimes, when speeding up battle animations, freezing or crashing occurs if you mash R at 300 APM. Don’t mash R. Hold R. In fact, do it before the battle starts just to be safe. Scanlines appearing and sound wobbling while speeding up is expected behavior though, moreso with fancy spells.

★ Sometimes, especially in maps with a ton of enemies, the music resets upon finishing an action. I’m not entirely sure what causes this. Maybe calc loops added by the skill system? Anyway, I’ve noticed that it only occurs when you mash keys, so don’t abuse your poor keyboard.

★ In the Prologue, Canto-ing while pinned against a mountain (surrounded by enemies) layers a rainbow-coloured square over the tile next to your unit. This is purely visual, and disappears as soon as you stop Canto-ing. I believe that this bug is caused by the fog of war used on the tileset.

★ In some battle animations, the tiny palette box flickers above the name box of the defending character in the battle screen. This is hardly noticeable if you don’t squint though, and you aren’t actively looking for it. I believe that this bug is tied to the animations themselves? I’m not sure. It’s purely visual, so it doesn’t affect gameplay.

In Chapter 3, Genevieve (Vivi) can’t be displaced with skills like Shove even after recruitment. This is due to a movement setting tied to the skill system (Boss NULL Move) which I haven’t found a way to dynamically change via events. Resetting the game and resuming on the NEXT turn after she’s recruited fixes this and allows using Shove on her (by cleaning your save). The problem doesn’t persist in later chapters so it’s a minor inconvenience. The same goes for green units with boss null move that you can recruit. If you’ve a way to fix this, please let me know by providing a sample script. Thanks! Solved!!!

★ You don’t want to kill bosses with Scarlette’s Siege, because using Siege to kill a unit doesn’t give you their item drop. This is to further balance the ranged utility that Siege gives Scarlette. It’s a feature not a bug

★ In the Support Viewer, cycling to the next or previous character via the L or R buttons turns the transparent backdrop behind their portraits into a solid white. This is purely visual and has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. I believe that I’ve seen this bug also occur in other hacks?

★ Rarely, in the Extras Menu, repeatedly exiting and entering the Support Viewer and the Sound Room has the side effect of loading a nameless Civilian unit into the very first character slot in the Support Viewer. No, your game isn’t haunted (sadly). It’s just code acting bizarre somewhere—with a behavior that’s inconsistent and almost impossible to reproduce. Anyway, just reset the game and the issue magically fixes itself.

★ Entering the Sound Room or the Support Viewer changes the color of the description box in the Difficulty Select screen from blue to grey. Not exactly a game-breaking issue, but it’s still an unintentional bug.

★ Switching between weapons with vastly different attack ranges with the left and right keys while targeting an enemy sometimes causes the attack range display to disappear. This bug is purely visual and has no effect on gameplay. You can still cycle through valid targets with the up and down keys even if the red grid is invisible. This bug fixes itself when you exit target selection.

★ Not really an issue, but to avoid flags not being set correctly when skipping cutscenes, mash the B button instead of pressing Start. The game already guards against skipping with Start, but I may have missed some spots. Which is my bad, I guess.

Credits

Consult the attached spreadsheet which contains full credits for battle animations, map sprites, music, patches, etc. as well as information about the game. If your work is in Andromeda and you find that I forgot to credit you, please inform me so I can add your name with my apology.

With that said, all unit portraits have been spliced and drawn by me, to maintain a consistently messy style, so any resemblance to existing mugs in the public repo is completely coincidental. All tracks have also been arranged by me for the janky FEGBA engine using Audacity and Anvil Studio, to maintain a consistent sound design throughout the game, with the linked sources acting as helpful reference.

Let’s promote transparent and organized documentation.

Special Thanks

@7743, for FEBuilderGBA providing a tool for rapid testing and development as well as being generally accommodating. I already type enough code, thank you. :smiley:

@Pandan, for his playlist on Fire Emblem game design which I listen to while spriting Andromeda’s mugs. Great voice, dude! I haven’t finished Vision Quest yet because the large cast intimidates me

@Mycahel and Code of the Black Knights, which I reverse-engineered to implement tropes functionality in Andromeda. You rock, mate!

@Scraiza and Souls of the Forest, which paved the way for some aspects of Andromeda’s stat bloat design. Thanks!

★ Blazer, for The Last Promise, which inspired a lot of memes things in Andromeda, and the first Ultimate Tutorial, which I read from front to back. Great documentation, dude! Weak souls succumb quickly to strong rom hacks

@Sme, for her tutorials on Fire Emblem GBA music, which have been a great help in arranging Andromeda’s soundtrack. Thanks!

@blood, the author of Sacred Trilogy, for assistance with some features and graphics in Andromeda. Thanks for helping!

★ To the people over at the FEU Discord, who helped with some tricky issues. Thanks for the assist!

★ To you, for playing this game. Have fun!

About the Author

Since this is my first real thread on this forum, allow me to introduce myself.

Hi, I’m Eretein.

I’ve been a fan of Fire Emblem since the 2000s. My favorite games in the series are FE8 and FE13 while my favorite rom hacks are Blazer’s The Last Promise and The Emblem Brigade’s sadly unfinished Zhack.

I’m a programmer by day, a writer and artist by night. I’ve published stuff that I’m legally disinclined to share under my online identity. However, I’ve also published trash novels on FFN and Ao3 (you may already hate know me). In fact, Andromeda occupies a small corner of my flagship series—the Loreverse Chronology.

Reading my other stories isn’t necessary to understand the story of Andromeda, though, so don’t worry about that. At most, there will be fun cameos and little nods and references to already established lore.

Have fun playing!

About Andromeda

Who is this game intended for?

Fans of Code of the Black Knights will adore the branching narrative, the attention to detail, and the impactful choices you have to make. Players who love Souls of the Forest will find the fast-paced, deadly combat and equipment system a familiar song and dance. Veterans who still replay the Last Promise might feel right at home with Andromeda’s edgy anime cheese aesthetics. Purists who think proc skills are cringe, rejoice! For your wish has been granted—proc skills don’t exist in Andromeda at all…

Or do they?

Those who think that any of the three games I mentioned above are too hard can get by on Tears difficulty, as it’s really intended for some of my curious readers who might play this for the lore (though Andromeda is gameplay over story first and foremost). The only thing you’re missing out on Tears is the S-Rank scenes and bonuses from Blood, anyway, which you probably won’t need since Tears is that easy. Think FE8 easy. Play Blood if you’re not into that level of difficulty and want something similar to the three games I’ve mentioned.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is this a shitpost?

You got me, I was supposed to release this on April 1st—dies

How do I install this?

Grab a clean Fire Emblem, Sacred Stones (USA, Australia) rom and patch it with the linked .ups file in the downloads section. Preferably, to be safe, use FEBuilderGBA to patch the rom. If you don’t have access to FEBuilderGBA, use NUPS, UniPatcher, or this nifty online patcher instead.

Which emulator do I use to play?

All testing has been done on VBA-M (SVN1490) on PC and MyBoy (V1.80) on Android. Backend-related freezes may occur with more accurate emulators such as mGBA or PizzaBoy. Unfortunately, as I do not have access to a handheld, testing has not been done on real hardware. Feel free to test it yourself though!

Is this ironman-friendly?

I’d like to say that it is. By virtue of having five lords, you can theoretically kill your friends like Marth bench your party and do just fine. It’ll be psycho-hard, but it should be doable. However, since a traditional ironman ends on a game over, five lords and multiple plot-essential characters, on top of gimmicky non-standard game overs make an ironman run even harder. So it’s up to you whether you want to do an ironman. On the bright side, you can show off your skills if you do manage to complete it. Yes! A generic replacement system ensures that you never run out of cannon fodder units… Or just play on Casual Mode if you just want to have a good time.

Is there a post-game?

There are plans for a post-game hub, in the style of Elibian Nights, but implementation will come after the base game is finished and rom space permits.

Does this game come with a guide?

No, but I might write a detailed guide in the future. The codex has entries for each chapter though, if you’re finding it difficult to progress.

Are the sprites using FE8, FE7, or FE6 colors?

No, they’re not. I decided to go for a distinctly darker, more vivid aesthetic in Andromeda. Near-black outlines ooze rebel energy

What does a “-1” critical mean?

It means that the weapon isn’t allowed to crit for fairer gameplay. Ballistas can’t crit, for example, so enemy Ballisticians don’t land a 1% crit and accidentally kill your Jagen. Isabelle’s PRF also has -1 crit so she doesn’t trivialize the entire game.

There are glitched graphics in the first Gaiden.

Yes, this is intentional due to the universe ending. Spoilers ahoy.

Why is there move after support/talk but no move after rescue/trade aka Thracia trading?

In a game which puts emphasis on gear, freely trading items around is a broken superpower and a lazy way of circumventing the cons of wearing some equipment. This is also why gear that has Galeforce doesn’t exist. I could go the SotF route and lock gear to specific Classes, but I find this type of design restrictive. put more thought into your cheese

Is there a playlist for the songs in Andromeda?

Yes, there’s a Spotify playlist linked in the next section below. But it might be incomplete due to some tracks being rare. A complete documentation of the tracks in Andromeda can be found on the spreadsheet.

Is there a Discord server?

Unfortunately, no. Maybe in the future. I’m inactive on Discord so it’s better if communication happens on this thread.

How should I report game-breaking bugs?

Please attach report.7z so I can hand it off to 7743.

Jokes aside, you should attach a report.7z and a savestate that goes directly to the bug. This functionality is accessible via FEBuilderGBA. If you don’t have FEBuilderGBA, then you can report the bug in this thread using this format. Please follow the format and be as explicit as possible. This is to make sure I don’t lose my sanity trying to parse vague issues (you should also write this in your report.7z).

ISSUE NAME

What is the issue?

My game freezes in Chapter 5. It happens when a unit steps on a forest tile at (3, 2). See attached screenshot.

What is supposed to happen?

Freezing shouldn’t occur and gameplay should continue as normal.

What are the steps to reproduce?

1) Move unit to Forest tile (3, 2).

2) Wait.

3) Game freezes after Wait.

4) End.

Are there other relevant details, screenshots, videos, gifs, etc?

The unit that causes the freezing is a flier (Sofia) and I have not encountered this bug with other units. I am playing on MyBoy (V1.80) on Android and I am using a BIOS I ripped from my handheld…

Note that if there’s no report.7z, there’s no guarantee that anyone can reproduce the bug.

TODO

These are issues that I need help with, and I’d be grateful if anyone lends a hand.

★ An LTC’er willing to record a chapter of the game and showcase it in an FEE3 (the first gaiden chapter?).

★ Install Smethlyn’s new promotion screen ASM, preferably without using custom build as it’s dangerous. I’ve made progress with this by modifying the installer and it worked for some people on FEUcord. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for me. I lead others to a treasure I cannot possess

Decide whether to implement replacement generics. I don’t know if people are gonna ironman Andromeda so I’m holding off on this one. But the framework already exists in the backend so implementation should only take about an hour or so. Testing and balancing will probably take longer, like most things in software. Implemented! Live testing required!!!

★ Decide whether to implement a base camp. This one feels redundant with all the Interludes that happen throughout the course of the game. I think that interludes are more organic than a base camp in giving the player time to organize their army. It’s cool tech though. Again, I’ve already future-proofed things, so implementation should be quick.

★ Change the palette of the gems on the MMB to match the darker faction palettes I know how to do this but I’m just lazy

★ ROM Rebuild if I run out of space. Anyway, I have around 10mb left and I’m not planning on inserting any more songs or animations so it should be fine. Boss portraits shouldn’t take up that much space, anyway.

★ Touch up on portraits. I’m a one-person dev team and it shows. It’d be awesome if someone could help further polish the art.

Changelog

Beta 1.1.1.1.1 (August 9, 2023)
★ First beta released
Beta 1.1.2 (August 9, 2023)
★ Distributed more anti-cavalry weapons to enemies in Chapter 3 : Long Road (torn on this, since previous playtesters complained that there was too much)
★ Tweaked enemy loadouts in an attempt to introduce variety
★ Buffed generic light magic tomes Mt by two points each
Hotfix 1.1.3 (August 9, 2023)
★ Fixed stationary green units not being displaced by Shove after recruitment (big thanks to @knabepicer!)
Beta 1.1.4 (August 9, 2023)
★ Removed a stray Crit modifier from the Spear
★ Slightly nerfed Holt’s starting Res since he was too good
Beta 1.1.5 (August 10, 2023)
★ Added an additional game over condition to Chapter 5 : Dead Man’s Chest, where having more than 12 enemy units on the ship causes defeat
Hotfix 1.1.6 (August 10, 2023)
★ Tweaked Tony and Reginald Spd to increase early survivability
★ Tweaked Tony Str to make him scale better
★ Buffed Holt bases (experimental, might be undermining his niche)
★ Buffed Freya base Spd, so she’s more satisfying to use
★ Nerfed enemies in Dead Man’s Chest to provide smoother scaling
★ Rearranged Bill’s skills so Watchful is visible
★ Tweaked NPC reinforcements in Raiders of Kris to be more proactive
★ Bumped Steel weapons lethality to 10% and Silver weapons lethality to 20% (might shove this to 20% and 30% respectively with more playtesting)
Hotfix 1.1.7 (August 10, 2023)
★ Added an option in the Prologue to reveal all enemies for you, for people stuck figuring out the gimmick or just hate gimmicks in general
Beta 1.2 (August 11, 2023)
★ Implemented generic replacement framework by hooking into the already existing grieving framework
★ Generic replacements now load before preps based on who you’re missing
★ Generics are auto levelled based on story progression but don’t have access to learned skills or character prf weapons
★ Generics however, are unlimited, meaning they respawn again if they die with their stats and inventories reset as a friend, you were replaceable, farewell
★ Added an additional condition to the first Paralogue where if Inky has 1 HP when the boss launches their special attack in the third phase of the boss fight, a game over ensues
Hotfix 1.2.1 (August 11, 2023)
★ Fixed several bugs in Ch5, such as Moonsword having a 100% Crit and a door not opening due to being the wrong tile
★ Scarlette now comments on the weather in Ch5
★ Sofia can now recruit Eren once Lexus is recruited
★ Ch5 eventing now accounts for the case where Hugo is dead but Eren is unfriendly
Beta 1.3 (August 12, 2023)
★ Fixed the drums on the tracks Holt’s Theme: No Grave But The Sea and Scarlette’s Theme: Fantastic Dreamer!!! courtesy of @7743. Thanks!
★ Tweaked the drums on some of the tracks to make them sounds more dynamic
★ Fixed some mismatched tiles in Ch4 and Interlude 1, added anti-aliasing to walls > as well
★ Nerfed the Army Standard from +4 Def & Res to +2 Def & Res
Beta 1.4 (August 13, 2023)
★ Fixed instruments in Skye’s Theme: Knight of the Wind being too soft
★ Updated weapon effectiveness to be more consistent (ie. daggers are now effective against all units with magic)
★ Buffed support gain across the board so now they all build super fast
Beta 1.4.1 (August 13, 2023)
★ Fixed drums in Luciana’s Theme: Wish I Had An Angel being too soft
★ Added percussion lines to Holt’s Theme: No Grave But The Sea and Scarlette’s Theme: Fantastic Dreamer!!!
★ Sofia’s stat caps should now be consistent across mounting and dismount, leftover artifacts from testing have been fixed
★ Further polished some tracks in the sound room
Beta 1.5 (August 19, 2023)
★ Implemented more equipment such as the Sacred Rune (which heals the holder per turn) and the Silverite weapons (generic weapons with effx versus mages)
★ Refactored some code in the backend to utilize 7743’s silent change unit status ASM instead of vanilla routines (done to avoid crashes when issuing more than 20 REMUs)
★ Changed unit slot IDs of several bosses to account for replacement generics (now we have enough space for approx. 20 replacement generics yay!)
Beta 1.6 (August 25, 2023)
★ Increased stat caps of promoted units from a range of 20–30 to a range of 20–40, to further segregate classes into distinct niches
★ Fixed some promoted units capping at Level 10 (due to a patch installed with the skill system)
★ Changed bases of some pre-promoted characters to account for tweaked caps
★ Slightly nerfed Dracozombies and the boss in the first phase of the first Paralogue
Beta 1.6.5 (August 28, 2023)
★ Added more quality-of-life changes to the Prologue by adding 1 extra turn to the time limit (in case you accidentally press Wait without meaning to), moving the escape range from the forest to just the tile past the fort, and automatically rescuing Fleur with Luciana you may now complain that the Prologue is braindead easy like 99% of other FE games out there
★ Buffed Skye’s Hp, since I kinda forgot to buff it back up when I was playtesting in the last patch (when you nerf units in playtesting just to simulate a worst case scenario)
BIG UPDATE! The Codex is now live! Use the in-game Codex to see gameplay hints for players who have hit a roadblock, a self-updating journal to review previous events and check story flags, a bit of lore on Andromeda, and a dossier on characters you like. A bit of optional reading for everyone!
Beta 1.6.6 (September 16, 2023)
★ Updated descriptions of various gear to include their effects (made possible by the discovery that Vesly’s extend weapon description patch also works on items and skills)
★ Fixed error where Shadowhood also gave +5 to Str
★ Tweaked starting formation of enemy units in Ch5 for more forgiving gameplay
★ Tweaked stats of your party in the first Paralogue, to further cement their individual niche
★ Applied more anti-crash patches (movement fix and visit fix)
★ Remastered Narxes’ Theme: Devil Trigger
Beta 1.7 (September 24, 2023)
★ Remastered a couple of tracks: including Infinite, His World, Devil Trigger, It Has To Be This Way, and I Am All Of Me (Andromeda’s soundtrack should be at least 10x edgier now)
★ Fixed an error where the Shadowhood counted as a Speedwing
★ Fixed the prices of the Windshoe, the Handaxe, and the Javelin being dirt cheap
★ The wait events on the two chokepoint forts in the Prologue have now been changed to interact events (now they also have markers to better communicate this)
★ Corrected some minor grammatical errors that I didn’t catch the first time
★ Door Keys, Chest Keys, and Lockpicks have now been made more expensive
★ Poison now deals constant damage, meaning there is no variance in the damage it inflicts (it still scales according to story progress, but now it deals a flat amount)
Beta 2.3 (December 28, 2023)
★ MASSIVE OVERHAUL to the PROLOGUE to make it play a “hundred-percent puzzle map” instead of whatever you’d call the janky earlier iterations were.
★ CASUAL MODE is now available as an option from the start, disabling permadeath and the generic replacement system.
★ Tweaked some stats on various weapons and adjusted their sell and buy prices accordingly (inflation hit Andromeda HARD).
★ Implemented EFFECTIVE CRITICAL THRESHOLD: units now need to score a Crit value above 15 to even have a chance of landing a crit, meaning if a unit’s Crit is less than 15, it’s an automatic 0 (this should REMOVE 1% CRITS from the game and make Swordmasters with their Crit+ non-superfluous).
★ IMPROVED PROMOTION SCREEN: now you can see what weapons a promotion branch can equip, their boons and banes, and the skills they’ll learn and at what level.
★ Added a NEW CHAPTER: Chapter 7 Landfall is now playable, with 2 new playable units as well a frantic skirmish map with ballistas and siege magic plus a secret boss fight… if you dare…
★ Tweaked promotion bonuses since feedback reached a consensus that the old system was too difficult (boons are now more rewarding and banes are now less punishing).
★ Edited supports of various characters since rewrite is inevitable and part of the creative process.
★ Changed the title of Chapter 5 to something more fitting.
★ Tweaked the way the FINAL PHASE of the boss fight in the first Paralogue worked: now your units get their turns refreshed at the start of the final phase, to add a little bit of QOL. But it won’t save you…
★ Tweaked the AI of the mini-boss in the first Paralogue: now it won’t attack you, so you can’t just cheese it with Captain Inky + Dunkelheit on EP.
★ Changed the skills of some classes as well as the names of several skills to add flavour.
★ Added a few new entries to the Codex, if you care about that sort of thing.
★ Fixed various grammatical nitpicks and refactored some code in the backend, just to cut down on my increasing tech debt.
★ Buffed Lexus, Scarlette, and Cyrus. Lexus now has Utility as his main role because of his personal skill Spring Thief (-5 damage to adjacent female allies, fog vision, and lockpick usage), access to the anima trinity at base, and the various aura skills he can gain upon promotion. Scarlette now has slightly better bases and her Siege now deals constant damage without variance. Cyrus’ base Mag has been slightly increased so he can chip and NosTank better.
★ NEW GAME is recommended so you don’t miss out on ITEMS and CONTENT. Loading savestates from old patches may BREAK your game, especially if you load in the middle of events. You have been warned.

Links

Patches : Google Drive
Mirror : Google Drive
Documentation : Google Sheets
Playlist : Spotify

Quick Guide

This is a quick and dirty guide on how to unlock tricky stuff. Doesn’t cover every tiny interaction. More stuff can be found in the spreadsheet such as recruitment details.
Prologue
★ Secret: unlocked by killing the boss instead of escaping.
Chapter 1
★ Secret: unlocked by having Skye fight the cavalier with the Dragonspear.
★ +Rank: Visit all villages with the red roof.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 13 or less turns.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter with Tony and Holt alive.
Chapter 2
★ Secret: unlocked by having May, Silas, and Isabelle each engage a thief.
★ +Rank: Retrieve all loot.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 9 or less turns.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 7 or less turns.
Chapter 3
★ Secret: unlocked by having Freya engage the boss.
★ +Rank: Visit all villages.
★ +Rank: Recruit Vivi by the end of the chapter.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 12 or less turns.
Chapter 4
★ Secret: unlocked by killing the boss before the timer expires.
★ +Rank: Recruit Haarhus temporarily.
★ +Rank: Kill the boss.
Interlude 1
★ Secret: unlocked by having Fleur visit all the villages.
Paralogue 1
★ Requirement: unlocked by finding all Outrealmers scattered in the previous chapters (except the Prologue & Ch2) and unlocking all the previous Secrets.
★ Outrealmer 1: In Ch1, visit the upper rightmost village with any character.
★ Outrealmer 2: In Ch3, visit the only house on the map with any character.
★ Outrealmers 3 & 4: In Ch4, survive until Turn 8, automatic.
★ Outrealmer 5: In Interlude 1, have a unit wait on the Arena tile 5 times (you can use the Arena, just end the unit’s turn on it).
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 10 or less turns.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter without requiring the use of the Reaper Knight’s skill: Reaper’s Oath.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter with all player units alive.
★ Reward: varies based on performance in the Paralogue (S-Rank nets an extra +10,000 gold).
Chapter 5
★ Secret: unlocked by having Sofia talk to Eren before Lexus is recruited.
★ +Rank: Finish the chapter in 10 or less turns.
★ +Rank: Recruit both Eren and Lexus.
★ +Rank: Kill the boss instead of opting to end the chapter early.
Chapter 6
★ Secret: unlocked by defeating the true boss instead of waiting for aid.
★ +Rank: Unlock the true boss by routing all enemies within 11 turns or less.
★ +Rank: Defeat the true boss in one turn.

Feel free to ask questions below! Feedback is greatly appreciated.

23 Likes

In Chapter 3, Genevieve (Vivi) can’t be displaced with skills like Shove even after recruitment. This is due to a movement setting tied to the skill system (Boss NULL Move) which I haven’t found a way to dynamically change via events.

I use the Set Unit Status patch to change this for stationary units being recruited.

1 Like

Congrats on the release! This looks really good!

1 Like

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly. Bookmarking this for future reference.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to Sacred Trilogy’s next release! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Some of the aspects of design discussed within the post piqued my interest, and I finished the available chapters. Also of note is that this is the first time I’ve seen FEBuilder autofeedback being used that’s not 7743, but sadly I am more comfortable giving feedback in this format. Hopefully, this might be of some use.
I think the project is quite promising.

Story

Won’t go into too much detail. Lorelei seemed to be an interesting character, both maintaining and abusing her reputation as this vile sorceress but with seemingly more going on underneath. Serves as a nice contrast to more good-intentioned Fleur and Luciana. There’s some build-up regarding the relationship between the countries and the political turmoil the characters are going to be involved in, although they’re mostly just fighting criminals right now. A pretty solid opening, in short.

Of note is when Lorelei parodied one of the most overused hack memes in what is ostensibly an important scene, the jarring combination made this section of the story very difficult to take seriously for me. The impacts of this chapter is the focus of the next interlude as well. I don’t mind references, but this felt a little too on the nose, especially if its supposed to be an important moment.

When a few of my units died, I rather appreciated two extra scenes discussing their loss. I feel like the “let the chips fall where they may” thought doesn’t mesh well with the fact full deployment seems to be the standard, as there is no replacement for them, and particularly since I found certain maps incredibly punishing even with everyone alive. I saw that generic replacements were a consideration and I feel like it is a good one.

Units

I really appreciated the unit design of the hack. Skills seemed well chosen such that they are impactful and support the unit’s role, are even better, none of them are proc skills. This in combination with impactful prfs that while very strong, does not necessarily obsolete all other weapon choices for the unit, makes each unit feel unique and interesting.
Here is a quite writeup of my experience with each unit.

• Fleur: Was basically just a healer the entire run, though 1-3 heal makes her job quite easy

• Liliana: Unsurprisingly, a crutch unit that was good at practically everything.

• Skye: One of the highest contributing units, able to wipe out whole enemy squads with nosferatu sword. Is vulnerable to being killed in a single hit, so I found angelic robe to be valuable on him. His skills focusing on mobility and his ability to peak walk was also quite fun to use.

• Tony: A rather interesting unit, does a lot of player phase damage through the guaranteed double, but doesn’t seem to actually make a great tank due to atrocious speed being extra punishing with increased weapon triangle, and tanks likely have to take attacks from two different weapon types. While his defence growth is certainly high, enemy offensive stats seem to scale way higher that his defensive growth can make him a relevant tank. Not sure his strength growth needs to be so terrible.
    Andromeda-17
    Growths aren’t real anyways, right?

• Holt: Pretty good unit starting off like Tony, but his offences seem to quickly fall off such that he is 3 rounding, but also very fragile against regular enemies. Renamed gamble is more useful here than most given certain blow, but either I missed or didn’t see a weapon that makes good use of it.

• Lorelai: I like mages that do a lot of damage. Kills things good.

• Reginald: Doesn’t feel like a good Army Standard user since getting doubled is so punishing, gets by with Ranceur and armor/cav effectiveness but seems a lot less useful when he doesn’t have effective weapons in his hands.

• Freya: Ladyblade saw some useful matchups. Acceptable bulk and never got enough speed to double anything important. Ended up similar to Reginald’s contributions.

• Vivi: Similar case to above, but exchanges winning matchups against a very specific kind of enemy to having decent 2 range damage.

• Scarlette: Extremely fun to use during the port chapter, 3x4 huge range AoE was kind of incredible. A lot less useful in 1-5 where she does pitiful damage without siege, though I am unsure if I am missing something about what conditions is necessary for siege to work.

• May: Very interesting unit weapon set up and assassinate. Good on 1-2, but kind of ruined by the fact her join time in 1-4 makes her unable to double anything ever and in fact lets her be doubled by some units in 1-5, making assassinate useless. Does pitiful damage without doubling.

• Isabelle: I love galeforce archers. Has it slightly less bad than May due to long range and galeforce and is still useful for cleaning up after joining main party in 1-4. Is basically essential in 1-5 for use with ballista and killing two reinforcements per turn.

• Sofia: Seemed incredibly strong, with decent strength and defence as well as high speed, but due to enemy scaling in 1-5, was just acceptably good. Canto+ is always incredibly valuable.

• Wyatt: Saw little use in 1-6 besides fail to one shot a soldier with a crit. Had very bad matchups this chapter due to be destroyed by myrmidons and mercs.

• Silas: My first thought was, “There is no way this man isn’t dying a scripted death next chapter.” I was pleasantly surprised. Wary fighter gives me no downside with provoke item, and combined with high mixed bulk and renewal, made him by far the best tank. This is before considering powerstaff and live to serve as essentially two actions very turn. Incredible unit, please don’t be killed by the story.
    Andromeda-93

I didn’t get the blindfolded shaman. Thanks, Lorelei.

My thoughts on the units is really impacted by enemy scaling, which seemed to accelerate in the last 2 chapters such as a lot of units that were decent before became a lot more unviable. More in the map section.

Weapons/Items

I like that Weapon triangle increase makes matchups highly critical. Reavers make this matchup a near guaranteed dodge against the corresponding weapon type. However, hit rates are also consistently high even without weapon triangle, which is very appreciated.

The standardised weapon descriptions is appreciated. Where it gets a little confusing is where items would say “Effx [Skill Name]”. I’ve played enough hacks to recognise every skill system skill by name, but this may not be the case for other players. Furthermore, some of these skill names are renamed from their original names to make this a little harder.
Andromeda-118

The 5% negate defence on steel seems superfluous, a whopping +1 damage at its best. Perhaps there could a subset of weapons with higher negate defence instead of a small boost that just makes calculations a little more off.

Passive skill items are quite interesting, mainly finding use out of army banner and windshoes. A lot of the others don’t feel impactful enough to be worth 10k gold in the secret shop, expertise, blue flame, discipline, miracle, etc. It would be nice to have the actual skill effect (as well as stat boost) in the main description and not the secondary box, as the second description is more difficult to access and cannot be seen while shopping.

Another minor thing is regarding the effect of blow skills. When I saw the description lacked numbers and said “almost guarantees etc” my first thought was numbers were intentionally being obfuscated and not that it just maxed the number. Taking out the “almost” would resolve this. I assume it is there because nihil/wary fighter or some other skill exists but I think the player can see it would negate the “guarantee” part.

One more minor thing, would be nice for vulns to have HP healed in main description, as above.

Chapters

I plan to detail my experience with each chapter, so lots of text ahead.

Prologue

I have to apologise in advance for being pretty harsh here, but this chapter made an unfavourable first impression and almost made me drop the hack.
The intent seems to be a puzzle, where the player figures out a “correct” set of moves. However, owing to the fog, high move fog fliers, incredibly little leeway and the fact the player only has essentially one action every turn, it feels like a game of trial and error, or figuring a combination code by inputting every combination.
I have no idea where enemies will show up from, their AI is inconsistent, there is little to suggest what moves are “correct” and what has killed me 2 turns down the line without me knowing.
A boss suddenly showing up out of the fog and almost instantly killing Luciana if he is accompanied by any other unit also seems difficult to avoid, given I cannot see where he comes from.
I am not even sure how I arrived at a “correct” solution, just that I had to abuse miracle and somehow made it.
I am little surprised escape is an area event and not the command “escape” as most escape maps typically use.
Ultimately, I am glad I didn’t drop the hack right here, because my impression of later chapters are a lot more favorable.
Andromeda-6
Pictured: Incredibly suboptimal first turn

Chapter 1

The player is kind of throw into the deep end here, with a lot of immediately threatening enemies and have to quickly learn how each unit kit functions, each optimal match up and how many enemies to pull before a painful death. Luciana seems like she might wipe the whole map, but abundance of horseslaying weapons do keep her in check, though thankfully there is enough leeway for her to survive a hit.

The anti-turtle is quickly established and punishes inefficient enemy clearing. It took me a few tries to adjust, but ultimately it felt like a fairly tough but manageable situation.
Andromeda-29
Not the time, Skye.

Chapter 2

I would also call this map a “puzzle chapter”, with a only a few possible actions to arrive at a correct set of moves, but I would say its much better than the first. It is very clear what objectives the player needs to arrive at and there are powerful tools to leverage to get there. I wasn’t able to get the iron dagger, but I got everything else, so close enough I suppose.

Chapter 3

Another pretty nice chapter. Three separate anti-turtles that encourage fast player and a split, and enough extra units to push with. Long range stationary archer set up encourages use of provoke and Skye’s peak walking can be shown off here.

Chapter 4

This map is pretty interesting. Again, several evident anti-turtle objectives, a powerful boss in the middle and many ballista. But a 3x4 siege range AoE tome to obliterate enemies? Sign me up.

The first hurdle is that I had a little bit of trouble figuring out how to use the siege tome. It was not immediately evident that she would have to stand still to use it, perhaps this could be hinted at in the post preps dialogue. There also seems to be some kind of HP condition? A bit more clarity would be nice here.
Andromeda-59
For whatever reason, these first ballisticians had negative res and were immune to bakaretsu.

You might guess what I’m going to mention next. Yep, the ambush spawns. I suppose one could make the argument turns 1-3 is supposed to inform the player, “yeah, we have ambush spawns here.” But then later turns the ambush spawn coverage is the entirety of the lower part of the map. I don’t think its a “you’re not supposed to be here” case, there’s a red house down below and it feels natural for the fighting to move here, give one would be fighting the pirates that already spawned. Even so, my opinion is that player phase reinforcements should be the rule. Furthermore, these pirates are also a big step up from the last chapter in terms of threat. They made the back half of the chapter a more painful experience.

The green units showing up with provoke to help draw attention away from the player is a nice touch, increasing reliability.

I assume the boss with over 80 HP and massive bulk was to encourage the player to use the thief to steal from him, but even with higher speed and an empty inventory slot, I couldn’t do it. He didn’t have watchful either. Confused, I took to builder, and it appears he does have watchful set? But its not displayed, and I assumed 6 skills was the cap.

Interlude

Andromeda-80

Chapter 5

The chapter objective is pretty cool. Effectively reskinned multiseize but with a theme, combined with half a defend map. Its fog again, but at least last map gave ample opportunity to stock up on light sources.

Bakaretsu didn’t seem to be able to used this chapter. I am not sure if its because it is raining and that puts out fires, or because bakaretsu was a one time gimmick. If this is the case, either I missed some dialogue or perhaps some more clarity is needed.

The opening position felt quite difficult on the right end, with multiple powerful enemies immediately threatening the start position. Enemy scaling seems to have gone through the roof the past two chapters, units that were solid performers initially now seem to melt instantly and do little damage. Almost every enemy doubled, and none got doubled except against Lorelai or Skye.

Andromeda-97 Andromeda-98
Andromeda-100 Andromeda-99
Andromeda-120 Andromeda-119
Can we trade units?

Fortunately, Luciana and Silas were still up to par. I felt like I needed to abuse Silas with the provoke item to get through the chapter, since so few of my units could even take hits without reavers. Being in fog is already a tough circumstance, the excessive scaling felt… excessive.

RIP 5x.

Misc

There seems to a be lot of polish in things like UI, world map, menus, etc. Things like that make a hack stick out, so its quite appreciated.

The portrait colors feel a little off, especially the skin tones. A pretty common opinion is that character creator skin tones (at least, I am assuming this is where these colors come from, as other character creator portraits have this kind of color) have a “clay soldier” kind of look, which really sticks out. While I appreciate the fact that vanilla villager mugs seem to be recolored to fit the aesthetic, the colors still feel quite weird compared to more vanillaish color schemes.

Is there a particularly reason that minimap is disabled? I know a lot of people might not use it, but I like using it myself and I don’t think I am alone in that regard.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Replies

Haha lol. I know, but I decided to do it anyway. I live for jarring controversies

Yeah, I was thinking about this, too. Decided to implement generic replacements in the next major release. ready the glock

He’s meant to have high damage in the initial chapters, acting like a pseudo crutch character. Being lance-locked is a weakness that is meant to discourage putting an Army Standard on him in the early game. Tony is supposed to transition into either a physical bruiser (Halberdier with Lancefaire and Quickdraw for +7 damage on Player Phase) or a full-blown physical tank (General with Wary Fighter and Fortress Defence) by the mid-game. But even if he’s not yet promoted, he gets Short Shield at Level 10 which should buff his tankiness. You’re right about the growths though, must have missed that one. I’ll make sure he gets a buff.

Holt isn’t meant to maintain high damage and high defence against all enemies. He’s an opportunist. He’s a tactician — that’s his theme. Holt with Atlas is supposed to pick favorable matchups via armor and cavalry effectiveness while evading counters and bad positioning with 1–2 range. Grace (Gamble) denies enemy doubles, which guarantees safe burst with Swordreaver versus squishy and speedy swordfighters (looks at edgy swordsmen that double your other bruisers). His growths focus on mixing Hp and Skl so the player can opt to promote into a bruiser that leans more towards defence (Hero with Renewal and sword access, think about Bloodthirster) or a bruiser with more offence (Berserker with Axefaire, Death Blow, and Crit+).

That’s why he has Guardian Knight (Barricade+). But I’ll see what I can do about buffing his initial Spd so he can get by until he gets his tanky growths and promotions. I was thinking about doing this, too. Anyway, the Army Standard in the early game is mostly intended to pull shots from longbow-toting enemies so they don’t destroy your squishies. If you manage to unlock 5x, you’ll experience how the Army Standard can decide a chapter’s flow in the mid/late game.

Yep, she isn’t meant to be as strong as Lorelei in the early game. Mid game, she gets access to either 100% magic immunity on player phase and 8-move (Paladin) or bows and Acrobat (Ranger). The Ladyblade is one of the most consistent ways to net Secret #4 by killing Bill in Ch4. Man can be killed with the proper approach, don’t let the ??? Hp intimidate you. If you kill him on the last turn, even better, as something happens on Turn 8 that’s one of the requirements to unlocking 5x.

And they laughed at a Pegasus Knight that has higher Mag than Str lol. The reason is alluded to in her support with Freya btw. The game reason is that she can promote to Falcoknight (Staves) or Dark Flier (Dark) which both require a decent Mag stat.

Siege has a minimum range, you can’t use it on nearby enemies. Also, this, if you press R:

I buffed her slightly in the build I’m working on. She’s meant to target mages and go for chests, anyway. That’s her theme. Mid game is when she gets better damage and bow access. Enemies in 1-5 were also nerfed since I noticed that I clicked on hard mode bonuses one too many.

I think you meant 1-5 lol. Have you tried using him with the Gargoyles? Man eats them alive with almost guaranteed crits and triangle advantage. I mean, it’s a matchup-oriented game.

how about a scripted death in the final chapter

Glad that the two jagens functioned as intended.

The beauty of a branching narrative. There is a way to get the blindfolded shaman. He’s a nostank with Wary Fighter. He’s living the dream. You can get him later down the road if you missed him now though.

Yeah, I found the scaling a bit difficult on recent playtests too. I’ll see to nerfing the enemy scaling so it plays smoother.

Yeah, I’ll see what I come up with. Maybe if I bump it up to 10% and move silvers to 20%?

I’m quite limited by the UI, unfortunately. The intent was to let the player figure out the item’s effects from the flavor text alone. Anyway, the other items have their own niche. Miracle lets Skye and Lorelei nostank reliably, for example, while Blue Flame lets you build a scaling army with all the stacking +2 Atk (you can actually get 2 Blue Orbs in the current build). To each their own playstyle, though. The Magus Hat also grants Paragon, not Discipline. This lets you accelerate the growth of a scaling unit of your choice. Personally, I prefer buying Miracle as this can come in incredibly clutch when you’re an aggressive player like me.

You’re not being harsh at all — I’ve had harsher critiques.

Yep, the intent is a puzzle. If you observe how the enemies move, you can decipher a pattern quickly. Pegasus Knights attack on sight, dealing chip damage which wears down Luce, while Wyvern Riders move to surround her — it’s effectively game over if she gets pinned. You’re given a hint to stick to the forts (for healing) and a cue to be careful where you end your turn (Luce at the start & Fleur on the second turn). The key is to consider how you can possibly get pinned on the enemy phase and take measures to avoid this. You’re pretty much safe if you take out a wyvern each turn to leave an empty tile to wiggle out of. Though, I can see how a player unfamiliar with puzzle design and gimmicky bosses could find this chapter frustrating. I’ll see about how I can communicate these intricacies in a less subtle way… Might be the most challenging part lol. I’m used to showing, not telling.

You can kill the boss in the Prologue, by the way. It’s one of the requirements for unlocking 5x. Requires mastery over Luce’s kit though, such as when to attack with Resolve, when to self-heal, and how to kite enemies.

The escape with range instead of a seize-like command is a QoL feature to make escaping more convenient. The area is lit up, anyway, so I hope it’s communicated well.

Shame, getting all the loot is a requirement for S-Rank. You can definitely optimize your solution even further.

This is a bug with FEB’s skill system, I think. Negative growths cause — to appear, not 0. Fixed this in the latest build. Nice catch! Fortunately, this bug doesn’t carry over to seal skills (they display 0 correctly).

You’re not supposed to charge head-on into ballista range — Lorelei’s musings are meant to communicate this. The houses in-range of the ballisticians can be visited safely with clever use of Vivi (as alluded to by her talk with Lorelei) or even with the Luciana + Scarlette combo. The strong ambush spawns have been telegraphed pretty well, I think, and breaking the rule here seems fitting since it’s a chaotic no-holds-barred siege between Astrea and Almach. Green units with Provoke are also meant to offset enemy reinforcements. But I’ll see to tweaking the green units so they can immediately tank the waves of pirates. This will probably turn difficulty down a bit.

Nope, you’re meant to fight him head-on. Crazy, right? But killing the boss in one turn can actually be done. Killing him this way is one of the requirements for unlocking 5x. Wary Fighter actually works against his favor here. But I digress. 6 Skills isn’t the cap. You can add more invisible skills in the backend. In this case, Watchful is to prevent an easy Iron Rune. But I can see how this can be misleading, so I’ll probably rearrange his kit.

It’s the fog and the rain. But I agree, more dialogue to communicate this is needed. I was lazy

Yeah, unlocking 5x is hard, meant to be hard since you’ll find it difficult without going through the process. But it’s worth it. Most fun I had while playtesting actually.

There’s a story reason for this. But beyond that, I just like the aesthetic lol.

None in particular. This is a relic from that time I was testing out builder. average developer moment

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I just released a hotfix which addresses some concerns that can be fixed quickly (minimap, negative res, growths, base stat buffs etc). Stuff like communicating that Siege is disabled in fog and replacement units will take more time to implement.

1 Like

Reading this reply has left me more than a bit confused.

You constantly referred to trying things multiple times

Yep, the intent is a puzzle. If you observe how the enemies move, you can decipher a pattern quickly.

Shame, getting all the loot is a requirement for S-Rank. You can definitely optimize your solution even further.

[getting all requirements for 5x] But it’s worth it. Most fun I had while playtesting actually.

But how do you want people to play?

★ A fully functional Ranking System. Starting from Chapter 1, every time you clear a Chapter, you’re given a grade from C to S based on what you accomplished. S-Rank is only available on Blood difficulty and grants an extra scene as well as a bonus reward.

The only thing you’re missing out on Tears is the S-Rank scenes and bonuses from Blood, anyway, which you probably won’t need since Tears is that easy.

but at the same time your opening description recommends to not save state

The abuse of savestates to avoid “undesirable” outcomes is discouraged.

and that you should let things just happen

For an organic experience, it’s better to let the chips fall where they may.

But what does this mean for a player.

Are they supposed to play as a psuedo iron man missing things and snowballing to the point they can’t find anything on Blood mode and miss every S rank event because they lose more and more units?

Or are they supposed to methodically check for things and explore your hack? Or are they supposed to embrace their unfolding narrative? This problem will only get exasperated the longer this hack goes for vs its current 5 chapter length as well.

I will admit I started this post without realizing that you had recently added the guide for the secrets to the main post which is definitely appreciated.

However, I do believe that a hack should get its priorities in order for what experience it wants to foster because something like outerrealm 5 is nothing short of nonsensical and would not be found unless someone is playing perfectly to a guide.

1 Like

Replay the game once you finish a run and find that you haven’t found everything. Secrets and Bonus Chapters are exactly just that. Flavor. They’re not required to progress in the game nor do the S-Rank scenes contribute anything critical to the plot. Think of them as your reward for playing really well. I playtest on pseudo ironman and while losing units is difficult (I’ll compromise by adding replacement generics), the game is still very much winnable. Besides, the spike in difficulty is the player’s responsibility when they don’t reset after losing a unit: the reset + resume combo is there for a reason. Contrary to your belief, embracing a bad narrative won’t make the game unplayable. There’s pros and cons for everything (eg. letting Vivi die actually nets you a version of her Prf that anyone with a Lance-rank can use, but you lose out on an early-game flier).

They’re called secrets and easter eggs for a reason. They don’t impact the game that much, they just add flavor. Where’s the wonder of playing a game without a guide and just discovering stuff? Personally, I prefer playing games blind and experiencing this feeling.

Andromeda is meant to be hard, not player-hostile. I’m sorry if you feel this way.

1 Like

Hi, all.

Due to the Prologue being…controversial, I’ve decided to include an option where a more explicit hint on how to solve the puzzle is given, in the form of revealing all your enemies for you (might as well go all the way, right?). Players who dislike puzzles and gimmicks will enjoy this breath of fresh air, while players who loved the original concept (including me and several of my private playtesters!!!) can still have their gimmicky fog puzzle map. But the game will remember your choice, so take heed. Thanks for the feedback!

Saying yes to the creepy voice will result into this…

The patch and the changelog’s been updated. With that, I’m off to bed. Why am I pushing a build at 12 midnight, you ask? It’s toxic developer culture. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have fun playing!

EDIT:

Generic Replacement Framework is now live!!! See the first post for details.

2 Likes

The wyvern knight from chapter 1 only approaches units and they won’t engage if you don’t wait

Fleur comments on enemy movements at the start of the second turn. This behavior is intentional. Do you understand why? Understanding why is crucial to forming a consistent strategy for the Prologue. Good luck.

About Sofia when you mount and dismount her max cap are differents

Fixed in the next release. Anyway, this is an artifact from when I was testing if it were possible to change Sofia’s stats when mounting/dismounting (ie. more Spd with Wyvern Lord but less Def when General). However, I discovered that this is impossible without writing my own ASM. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Hi, all. New patch just dropped. Changes in the most recent version include:

★ Implemented more equipment such as the Sacred Rune (which heals the holder per turn) and the Silverite weapons (generic weapons with effx versus mages)
★ Refactored some code in the backend to utilize 7743’s silent change unit status ASM instead of vanilla routines (done to avoid crashes when issuing more than 20 REMUs)
★ Changed unit slot IDs of several bosses to account for replacement generics (now we have enough space for approx. 20 replacement generics yay!)

See the changelog in the top post for more details. Have fun!

Now Silas can’t tank everything…

4 Likes

Holt as a hero cannot pass level 10

Fixed in the latest update. The new patch includes the ff. changes.

★ Increased stat caps of promoted units from a range of 20–30 to a range of 20–40, to further segregate classes into distinct niches
★ Fixed some promoted units capping at Level 10 (due to a patch installed with the skill system)
★ Changed bases of some (lategame) pre-promoted characters to account for tweaked caps
★ Slightly nerfed Dracozombies and the boss in the first phase of Ch5x (but the gaiden is still nightmarish difficult if you play with your brain off – don’t play Andromeda with your brain off)

See top post for the download link and a more detailed changelog. Thanks!

Ch5x sleeper carry just got buffed… Might nerf next patch?

Good news! I’ve also managed to submit a trailer for FEE3 at the last minute. See you there.

1 Like

Supports and PE are part of my favorite thing in the series and I love how you seem to put such emphasis and care into them. LOVE IT!

1 Like

Good to hear!

Anyway, the latest patch is now live with the ff. changes. See the top post for a detailed changelog and the download link.

Beta 1.6.5 (August 28, 2023)
★ Added more quality-of-life changes to the Prologue by adding 1 extra turn to the time limit (in case you accidentally press Wait without meaning to), moving the escape range from the forest to just the tile past the fort, and automatically rescuing Fleur with Luciana you may now complain that the Prologue is braindead easy like 99% of other FE games out there
★ Buffed Skye’s Hp, since I kinda forgot to buff it back up when I was playtesting in the last patch (when you nerf units in playtesting just to simulate a worst case scenario)
BIG UPDATE! The Codex is now live! Use the in-game Codex to see gameplay hints for players who have hit a roadblock, a self-updating journal to review previous events and check story flags, a bit of lore on Andromeda, and a dossier on characters you like. A bit of optional reading for everyone!

Finally, the Guide is useful…

And now, I’m off to bed. Have a nice day!

3 Likes

FEE3 schedule just got announced and it looks like we’re up on the 12th of October. I can’t wait to be the author of the most controversial Dark Souls hack in this year’s showcase. ^ _ ^

In any case, Beta 1.7 is live with the following changes.

★ Remastered a couple of tracks: including Infinite, His World, Devil Trigger, It Has To Be This Way, and I Am All Of Me (Andromeda’s soundtrack should be at least 10x edgier now)
★ Fixed an error where the Shadowhood counted as a Speedwing
★ Fixed the prices of the Windshoe, the Handaxe, and the Javelin being dirt cheap
★ The wait events on the two chokepoint forts in the Prologue have now been changed to interact events (now they also have markers to better communicate this)
★ Corrected some minor grammatical errors that I didn’t catch the first time
★ Door Keys, Chest Keys, and Lockpicks have now been made more expensive
★ Poison now deals constant damage, meaning there is no variance in the damage it inflicts (it still scales according to story progress, but now it deals a flat amount)

Have fun!

3 Likes

Not to be that guy but I can’t find the answer. How long is this intended to be?