Hello everyone and welcome to this post dedicated to improving the CCC.
As I mentioned in previous posts, you’ll be able through multiple polls to change some parameters for the next iterations of the CCC, from the 17th edition and forwards.
For those who will stumble on this post without any knowledge of the CCC, I highly recommend checking at least one of them to give you an idea, but put it simply, it’s a creative contest where artists have to do sprites/portraits of certain Fire Emblem characters in the GBA style under a time limit to expand the Fire Emblem Repository, where all free to use assets for making GBA style Fire Emblem content is compiled.
If you are wondering why I’m making this post, it’s mainly because the last few rounds have been way less popular than the first ones, there are probably many reasons, the concept isn’t brand new anymore, people are maybe busier, they’re perhaps less active on FEU, the current host is not as good/likeable/engaging as the previous ones and likely much more.
I’ve also received some feedback, suggestions and complaints about some rules and certain decisions, therefore I wish that together we can improve this concept based on your opinions because the community is integral to the CCC, keeping it alive and I couldn’t thank enough everyone who contributes and continue to support it.
If none of the options in a poll satisfy you, feel free to write and develop your own answer by replying to this post.
You’ll be able to vote until the 30th of April (2023).
One last thing before voting, if you aren’t an artist yourself, please consider them when voting because they will be the ones who are the most affected by the following changes.
How long should the creative period last?
- Two weeks
- Three weeks
- A month
- A month and a half
- Two months
How long should the voting period last?
- Three days
- A week
- Two weeks
- Three weeks
- A month
When should a new round start?
- Right after the end of the previous one
- A week after the end of the previous one
- A month after the end of the previous one
- Two months after the end of the previous one
- At the beginning of the next month
- Whenever it’s been too long without one
How many characters should be featured in each round?
How should the next characters be decided? (Assuming there are 3 characters, however, it will be adapted considering the answer of the previous poll)
- First place chooses two characters, and the host chooses the last one
- First place chooses two characters, second place chooses the last one
- First place chooses two characters, and the community chooses the last one
- First place chooses one character, second place chooses another one, the host chooses the last one
- First place chooses one character, second place chooses another one, the community chooses the last one
- First place chooses one character and a theme, second place and the community each chooses a character that fits said theme.
- First place chooses one character and writes a list of other characters they would like to see, second place chooses one from that list and the community chooses another one amongst the remaining characters on said list.
Should we apply a restriction from winning multiple times in a row?
- No restrictions
- If someone wins first place multiple times in a row, the second place will be considered as the first place winner and the first place gets the benefits from the second place instead
- If someone wins first place multiple times in a row, the second place will be considered as the first place winner and the third place gets the benefits from the second place instead
- If someone wins first place multiple times in a row, they let another contestant of their choice get the first place benefits instead
- If someone wins first place multiple times in a row, they only get to choose the theme or submit a list of characters instead, depending on what answer was chosen from the previous poll
Should we apply a restriction to the character selection?
- No restrictions
- Each character must be from a different game
- At least one character from the GBA titles
- At least one character who doesn’t have a portrait yet
- Each character must be from a different game and at least one character from the GBA titles
- Each character must be from a different game and at least one character who doesn’t have a portrait yet
- At least one character from the GBA titles and at least one character who doesn’t have a portrait yet
Should base characters be restricted to Fire Emblem?
Should we allow other art forms alongside portraits?
Should we hold this kind of survey in the future?
What non-portrait art forms could entrants use? I can see some people doing battle sprites.
I’ll probably go through it again when the survey ends.
While portraits will remain the main focus of the CCC, participants could also submit custom battle sprites, map sprites, backgrounds, maps, or music as long as it is related to the characters featured, for instance, it could be a music theme tied to a character or the map where the character is recruited/fought in.
However, as stated, they will be featured alongside portraits, but only the latter will be eligible for the vote.
Multi-talented artists can submit a portrait and other art forms if they wish to do so, both could be considered when voting for them, but it’s up to the audience to decide this. Either way, only posts with portraits will be included in the poll.
It’s mainly due to portraits being the main feature of this contest but also because it will be harder to compare portraits with backgrounds or music when voting. I hope you’ll understand this decision.
Nevertheless, if anyone wants to create a similar contest focused on battle animations or any other forms of art, you are allowed to do so, you have my full support and I wish for your concept to succeed.
The polls are now closed, I will go through each one of them and explain how they will affect the CCC’s rules, even if it seems obvious to some. I will allow a certain degree of laxity considering certain results as the votes were close and I don’t want restrictive rules, the goal is to have a pleasant contest.
The creative period, where artists are allowed to submit their work will last a month after the new round was announced, I hope this will allow more time to improve each entry, and be less stressful.
The voting period where the community chooses their favourite submission will last a week after the end of the creative period.
When the voting period is over, there will be a one-week break before the next round is announced. Therefore, there will be a new round every month and a half or roughly every six weeks, which means 2 rounds in 3 months and 8 rounds each year.
The number of characters to be featured each round will vary, but it will be mostly 3 characters, as it was before, there could be 4 or more characters if some characters usually go by a pair or as a group, one round could be themed around the Four Fangs, the Four Hounds/Winds, or Grado’s six generals for instance.
The first-place winner will choose at least one character, the second place will do the same and the community will vote for the last character(s). However, if they wish, the first-place winner can submit a list of characters they would like to see featured or a theme to be set, but the second place will decide if they intend to follow the first place’s wishes.
There will be no restrictions from winning multiple times in a row. However, if they wish, the first-place winner can forfeit their benefits and give them to the second place or another contestant of their choice.
There will be at least one character who doesn’t have a portrait yet each round, if neither the first place and second place winners chose a character that doesn’t have a portrait, then all the characters the community can vote for will be characters who don’t have a portrait yet.
The characters chosen will be restricted to Fire Emblem, but not necessarily main entries, characters that appeared in Fire Emblem Heroes or Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE can be selected.
However, the Kaga Saga games (TearRing Saga, Berwick Saga, Vestaria Saga I and II), if technically not Fire Emblem games, they will be considered as such, therefore, characters from those games can also be selected.
Other forms of art, such as music, custom animations, and map sprites among others will be accepted as long as they are relevant to one of the featured characters, however, the artist’s post will only be eligible if they submit a portrait as well, remaining the main feature of this contest.
There will be other surveys in the future, I hope you enjoyed this first edition, if you want to suggest any questions for next time, feel free to post them on this thread. I believe the next CCC will follow this ruleset until the 25th round, which would be in a year or so. Thus, maybe each month of April, we could host the CCC Community Survey. If you feel like it will be too early or too late, I invite you to suggest when you will like to have another similar survey.
I thank you all for participating in this event, I wish you a wonderful day and I’ll see you soon for the next CCC, goodbye!
Will Kaga saga games, like Tear Ring Saga count too? I’m asking since they’re technically NOT Fire Emblem, but they’re considered Fire Emblem games by most of the community.
That’s a good question, you are totally right, technically it would exclude them, but as you mentioned, they are considered as Fire Emblem games by most of the community. I’m not familiar with those games myself but I think I’ll allow them considering there is a “Kaga Saga Spinoff” folder in the portrait repository.
However, I would probably ask to request them sparsely, and because of my lack of knowledge, I don’t think I’ll include characters from those games in the community poll character vote, unless we’re doing a special round focused on either of those games.
Maybe a separate division for non-portrait art forms?
I suppose it could work, but then, will we have separate divisions for each type of art form or a general one? It seems you are suggesting the latter, I believe as I stated before that it will be hard to compare a battle animation from a music track for instance.
Besides, how will it affect the voting system? What will be the prize for winning this division? Will the first-place winner choose a character as well?
I don’t want to dismiss your idea, I just don’t know how to implement it considering how the contest works. However, if you can find a way to answer my questions and make it work, I’ll gladly add your suggestion!