Latest Bugfix: 2023-11-14 11:27
NOTE ABOUT BUGS: If a bug ever renders a long boss fight unwinnable, suspend and then send me your save data so I can clean you up. If you crash, I can probably still salvage your save data (no need to suspend in that case obviously).
Gamers. You know them. You are them. But would you want to play a game about them? No? Too bad.
Set in 2068 some years after magic is released to the modern world, Server 72 details the quest of some gamers as they attempt to clear the Tower of Dreams, a tower climb-themed expansion to the magic-VR MMORPG Real You Online, a joint venture between games titan Blizzsoft and defense company Rathalos. Ascend through the Tower as you attempt to beat the infamous Floor 50 which has stymied all challengers since its release.
Mechanical Departures from FE
- No permadeath. The game takes place within the confines of a video game that isn’t Fire Emblem, and, as such, units come back to life at the end of each chapter. Don’t be afraid to sac your entire squad for a boss kill, or just because you feel like it.
- No randomized stat growths, or stat growths at all. Instead, you buy stats as your characters level, allowing for full customization of the one thing IS is too cowardly to allow you to customize.
- Mana and chapter-based durability. Spend your resources as hard as you can each fight, because you’ll get them back!
- Skill emblem. Each unit can eventually gain up to five class skills (plus Canto for the mounted ones), and can additionally learn up to four learned skills, although this is not advised. Currently up to 12 status effects can be displayed at once as well, and likely I’ll have to find time to bump that up to 18 eventually.
- A combination of short, puzzle-like chapters and long grinds.
- Early-game play that more closely resembles a DnD dungeon crawl than Fire Emblem. Ironically, strategy is more key here: resource management is integral to boss chapters, as you can quickly find yourself running out of weapons, mana, and, ultimately, hit points. Much like in MMOs, breaks between fights should be treated as time to heal yourselves up and prepare for the next enemy cluster.
- Mystery-based gameplay and supports. Nothing makes a character more likeable than their ability to solve gamer-related mysteries. Navigate through amateurishly designed mystery sections as you attempt to choose the correct answer or present the correct evidence to move the plot forward.
- Large free-roam sections more akin to a JRPG. There are new talks with NPCs and base conversations after every floor, so be sure to see them all, or not!
This game is rated 17+ due to copious amounts of lurid language. There are no obscene or otherwise wholly objectionable acts depicted within this game, except perhaps being a gamer.
The download link above also contains a small Player Manual for those who are unfamiliar with Lex Talionis games, as well as a Credits document detailing the skilled creators behind the ludicrous girth of assets used for this project. If you are uncertain whether you wish to give the project a try yet, I recommend at least reading the Player Manual, because it’s fun to read Player Manuals lmao.
To report a bug to me or otherwise complain at me, you can DM me here, message in this thread, or find me/DM me through the Lex Talionis engine Discord: Lex-Talionis
Barring disastrous life events, the game will still release fully by end of year, one way or another.
2023-10-11 - Player now forced to do base event in Floor 2 free roam.
2023-10-11 - Hardman level 5 class skill fixed. Existing Hardmans will be fixed upon entering and leaving the stat buy screen.
2023-10-12 - Floor 12 arena walls now drop appropriately even when a player dies.
2023-10-12 - Walls can no longer be shifted (or moved at all).
2023-10-12 - OOS Skill Graft broke on certain units, this has been rectified (I think).
2023-10-12 - Armsreaver did not stop granting melee reaver + close counter on break. This should be fixed now. Sell and rebuy any armsreavers you currently have after patching, as those will no longer function. You will need to re-forge reaver bows as well.
2023-10-12 - Memory cap busting fixed for OOS (and other skill grafts).
2023-10-13 - Floor 26 boss fight fixed to actually be winnable.
2023-10-14 - Floor 29 boss fight now has an additional in-fight hint.
2023-10-16 - Unit select tutorial fixed.
2023-10-16 - Wildfire buffed to actually be a skill that a human would use. Enter the stat buy screen to properly refresh the skill.
2023-10-16 - Floor 30 boss bug fixed to have proper weapon.
2023-10-18 - Quietly nerfing Wildfire to be a skill that a human would not always use.
2023-10-19 - Fixed Adaptive Armor.
2023-10-20 - Updated enemy AIs to attack Shirked units if they are the only valid targets within range.
2023-10-30 - Fixed boss animation to not crash on miss.
2023-11-05 - Fixed ANOTHER boss animation to not crash on miss.
2023-11-13 - Game correctly registers game over when units are pushed off a cliff and die.
2023-11-14 - Windcallers given immunity to prevent death from ailments.
- Freshly-bought equippable accessories will sometimes fail to function. Trading them back and forth with a unit in combat should resolve this.
- Prophecy and Proclamation both killing a unit in the same endstep (by dealing 20 damage to kill and then also killing again) will cause the game to crash. This can probably be avoided by suiciding the unit.