Greetings and salutations, FEU! My name is Brunhilda, and I am a fledgling romhacker who has come to show a project I have worked on with some assistance from the community in the past two years.
This passion project is none other than Project Ember, a gameplay/graphics overhaul of FE6 that aims to give the player a brand new and (hopefully!) fun experience. Dozens of changes have been made, too many for me to list off every single one here. But to list a few:
- Tweaked playable units
- Altered chapter events
- New classes
- Modified weapon stats
- An upgraded weapon triangle (15 Avo/2 Dmg)
- Roy promoting like a normal unit (requires a Knight’s Crest)
- Several new playable characters such as Lowen from Fire Emblem 7 and Princess Guinivere herself!
- A difficulty beyond Hard Mode known as Maniac Mode
- Several new supports
And much, much more. As this is my first project, there have been some bumps in the road. Fire Emblem 6 is an unwieldy game to hack, and as a result there are some bugs that have been found in the hack already that, as of posting, have no fix. Thankfully they’re nothing gamebreaking, but a nuisance is still a nuisance.
Included below is a link to a dropbox containing the patch (apply it to a Japanese FE6 rom), a document that I heavily suggest you read, and two folders containing the assets I used for map palettes and all the portraits I (and Ltranc) have worked on.
Please keep in mind that this hack is mainly designed around selecting Hard or Maniac Mode from the start. Normal mode is not tested and is not an accurate depiction of how certain units and the overall experience functions.
And lastly, please do not see this as a replacement for FE6. This is solely meant to be a labor of love and a new way to experience the game many people in this fandom love so much. With all that said, I hope my hack meets or surpasses whatever expectations you may have.
I hope to hear from you all soon
Patch Notes for 1.83:
- Increased Guinevere’s base HP and Mag by 7 and 2 respectively.
- Karel received +3 to base HP.
- Increased Bors’ Skl/Res by 2 points, +5% to Str/Skl/HP growths.
- Gave Dorothy +2 Skl base, +10% to Spd/Str growths, -5% to Skl growth, and had her join with an Orion’s Bolt.
- Noah received +2 Res and +10% HP/+5% to Str/Lck growths.
- Trec received +2 to HP/+1 to Skl/Def and +10% to Def/+5% to Res growths.
- Sue got +1 to base Str and comes with 25/50 WEXP to C-Rank Bows.
- Lot received +1 to base Spd, +10% to Spd growth.
- Echidna’s base level was reduced by 2, +1 to base Str/Spd, and +10% to Speed growth.
- Debias received +10% to Skl and +15% to Lck growths in exchange for losing 25 Bow WEXP.
- Alen and Lance have received +1 to base Str.
- Igrene received +5% to Skl/Spd growths and +1 to base Spd in exchanged for having her Bow Rank hit down to B Rank.
- Klein received +3 to base HP.
- Melady received +1 to base Spd/Def and +2 to base HP.
- A new PRF for Juno: The Wing Sword.
= Wing Sword Stats =
Effective against Cavalry/Armors
- Roy’s Knight Lord class has altered base stats which change his promo gains:
Knight Lord bases/promo gains:
HP 22 (+4) Con 9 (+3)
Str 6 (+3) Def 7 (+2)
Skl 5 (+2) Res 4 (+4)
Spd 7 (+3) Mov 8 (+1)
- Redid the palettes for the Fields and Village tilesets.
- Thrones now have a lowered movement cost.
- Cut down on 1-2 range spam by 1-2 enemies per map. Also readjusted the inventories of most enemy formations.
- Chapter 21 is now a defeat boss map and we’ve added a breakable wall for the western half of Chapter 22.
- Added a few more armor-effective enemies throughout the game.
- A few Bows have had some slightly rearranged stats. Steel and Silver Bows recieved +5 Hit while the Killer Bow lost 1 Mt.
- The Trial Maps have been modified! Consider them to be in early access, as we’d like feedback on how to adjust them for future revisions and aren’t quite certain as to how balanced they are. This way we can hopefully adjust them in the coming builds for all of you to have more fun with the hack.
- The Chapter 6 chest room with two money chests has had all the money relegated to one chest and an Lightning tome in the other. The throne reinforcements are also one turn as opposed to two.
- The Knight near the west chest room in Chapter 12 drops a Door Key and the Druid inside the west chest room drops a Chest Key so that you aren’t forced to field two thieves on the map.
- Changed the Hero’s Crest in chapter 16 to a Knight’s Crest.
- Made the stealable Knight’s Crest in Chapter 13 not appear on a reinforcement since there is otherwise no incentive to be fielding a thief until that point.
- Reduced the amount of forced stealable promo items to become droppable.
- Reduced the amount of effective weaponry in FoW.
- Removed the Purge from the Chapter 17 (Ilia) Valkyrie and longbow Warrior entirely.
- Moved the top chest in the west chest room of Chapter 16 one tile up so that if Cath opens the door, she will no longer be one tile off being able to reach said chest next turn. Also altered Cath’s inventory to possess a lockpick rather than a Chest and Door key.
- Revamped the endgame map with an entirely different obstacle that now actually incorporates Idunn’s Lore in some fashion.
- Knives now ignore the weapon triangle entirely.
- Roy now uses Phoenix Wright RF animation by Blaze while unpromoted.
- Boosted the Mt of the Brave Axe and Brave Lance by 2 and 1 respectively, reduced the brave lance’s Wt by 1, and increased their hit by 10 and 5 respectively.
- Increased Maltet’s Mt by 1.
- Gave the Lord and General classes new map sprites.
- EXP gain has been modified. Now, missing, being hit without retaliating, and doing zero damage gives +3 EXP rather than +1.
- Various animation/graphical tweaks and fixes have been made.
- Four portraits have been modified, and one has received a complete makeover! Meet the new Noah, Melady, Zealot, Trec, and Zeiss portraits. Credits go to Obsidian Daddy and Scraiza for the assistance, as well as Bwan for the original base used in the Noah remake.
- Jeorge Reds has come forward and created a brand new Roy map sprite! Full credit goes to him and Team Ember thanks him for his amazing work.