FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Why is this even a discussion? Some portraits and battle animations are ripped straight from other games, and MOST of the backgrounds and music available for this community, be it on the repo or on some other thread, is from licensed properties. I’m not quite sure I get it. Especially coming from a romhacking community.

10 Likes

Why did this become an issue? I mean as sketchy our thing is, we are still under the legality as technically fan games. If I misunderstood the law please tell me but this looks perfectly legal to me.

5 Likes

i’ll just step in by saying that if we really want to look at the “legal” aspect of it all, then people shouldn’t even be allowed to rip off sprites from licensed games in the first place.

thing is, making “fan games” has always been that sort of gray area when it comes to resources, because even if you manage to edit any form of source material, be it images or sounds or music or anything else, it would still imply that you actually modified the work of someone else, be it free or not, licensed or not.

to further clarify, and i mean no harm whatsoever, mind you:

while i do understand your point of view, that also feels kinda contradictory to me, because in that case websites like Spriters Resource shouldn’t even be allowed to exist, let aside fan games/hacking platforms.

in my opinion, since we’re still navigating in a gray area, i guess it could be fine if you post an already edited sprite( like splices for example )and eventually call it F2U/F2E.
ripping off an original sprite from a licensed game with no edits whatsoever and call it F2U/F2E probably might not be a wise idea, even if there are such websites that host such material, but that’s their own problem.

long story short:
either someone revisits the whole rules of this platform to avoid any further/eventual issues, wich would probably be a huge ass load of work that i honestly doubt anyone from the administartion team would be willing to do.
or, since we already have our rules here that gets enforced when needed without many issues, let’s just not make a fuss over nothing.
i’d rather prefer to not see this little community of hobbists stumble upon itself for trivial stuff, if possible.

8 Likes

guys, setting aside the whole philosophy of use stuff, is it really that hard to just add the credits that were asked

You should also include in the credits doc the original development team of TPDP, namely FocasLens , since they’re the ones that did 99% of the work in this (as in, the actual portraits/full sprites in the game.)

like this isn’t an unreasonable ask

12 Likes

It was already added. Nobody said they weren’t going to be.

I even said as much.

https://i.imgur.com/cZEEF5x.png

8 Likes

Thank you very much! Having played through TPDP four times over now, I really wanted to see the good folks get credit. also because those sprites are cute as hell.

Also, what BigMood said is something I didn’t know, so that’s neat! Well, slash whatever argument I had then, ZUN truly is based as hell

4 Likes

Okay, I talked it over a bit internally and I think things are getting pointlessly heated because everyone is talking past each other.

Let’s break down a few of the things that have been said.

Zoramine can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that this is more about it being a little weird for people to be submitting work that is earmarked for another project, especially when the person doing the submission is not actually the creator, especially especially if that project is a fangame rather than a commercial venture. I think it’s well-demonstrated that there’s room for nuance here, both with the “Nintendo already got our money” argument and the whole “honor among thieves” shit that’s been argued over for years. If I’m being entirely honest, I’m not a huge fan of having something hosted from someone who isn’t even in our community, but since it seems that permission has been granted, that ends at my personal distaste.

To my knowledge, this was never a thing that was actually said, nor do I think that it directly follows from an aside about about re-hosting sprites from someone else’s game, so I don’t really know why this is relevant.

I don’t think it was very well-expressed, but if you read closely instead of knee-jerk responding with “boo hoo the mods never agree with klok”, the claim is that, in all practicality, there’s no need to explicitly credit Fire Emblem assets in a game with the words “Fire Emblem” emblazoned across the title screen, in a forum with the words “Fire Emblem” across its banner. This is regarding the first half of what Zoramine said, about adding the credits in the first place, not the second bit about whether it’s okay to post stuff from other IPs. As the credits have duly been added (which I indeed missed on a first read-through), I don’t think there’s much else to be said on this side of the subject.

and finally

I think that, if these people don’t like to post on the forums out of fear that they’ll be warned for making blanket, unelaborated statements calling people who care about intellectual property hypocrits, alongside passive-aggressive sarcasm (that didn’t even have anything to do with what was said?), they should be thinking twice before posting.

7 Likes

Yeah, my wording was garbage, and I definitely put in an opinion I shouldn’t have. What you said basically boils down what my thoughts are - It’s weird to me to submit work that was in another project, not submitted by the creator. But thankfully, my real problem was just the lack of credit, which has since been addressed.

I’ll keep it in mind in the future to keep opinions to myself to avoid this happening in the future.

5 Likes

You did say it best.

If using things from other games is not okay, why even arbitrarily allow sprites and splices from FE games? And also they’ve been in the Repo (and the Animation Directory preceding it, run by Skitty himself) for years, why is it a problem now? It seems that either is not the original argument or it’s no longer being argued, so whatever.

It’s clear now though that… well I guess the ‘other game’ here is… I don’t actually know. I know so little about Touhou that I can barely even say my knowledge is surface level. I’m not sure what makes this specific Touhou game different from Super Mario and Luigi or Metroid. It might be because it’s an indie game? I don’t even know what specific Touhou games exist. I just know there’s a loli witch and Bad Apple exists and Markyjoe’s waifu Reisen is a thing, and that’s about it.

Let’s move on.

In the entire time I’ve run the repo, if someone has asked me to include credits, I just added it. Always have, always will. It’s the basic level of courtesy all creators deserve. Not even basic, like the minimum possible requirement.

Of course, these credits haven’t always been perfect. But that’s why when you see missing or incorrect credits, you should just report them so we can fix them.

I think we’ve all learned a valuable lesson about picking our words carefully.

I wouldn’t go that far. Maybe I should try to read better intentions into your words instead :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

honestly this should go for everyone here. i think most conflict here start cause people just didn’t think of the intention of the poster’s comment, yall just respond in an emotionally charged way, which of course leads to the other side doing the same. Even if there’s something said that’s not to your believes or values, you should always give the person the benefit of the doubt, and if things need addressing, address it in the most logical manner possible, Like Cam does. There’s a fundamental misunderstanding and miscommunication that led to heated debates like this which could be avoided if people just stepped back and cool down before replying

Just my thoughts, but what do i know I’ve only been here for 1 + year.

5 Likes

Yeah… Relax, people. No need to get angry or preachy. Don’t treat every word that a stranger wrote online as a personal attack.

7 Likes

I don’t want to extend this discussion, but the difference here is that the sprites are from a Touhou FANGAME made by FANS. Imagine if a Pokemon romhack used assets from FEU uncredited. That’s what the issue is. This was not made clear before, so I understand your misgivings.

1 Like

@Klokinator

I would like you to create a directory called song7z in FE-Repo-Music and put song.7z with its contents.
Since song7z updates regularly, I think you should create a dedicated directory and copy all the data there for your use.

1 Like

Um. I have no idea what you’re asking me to do. I assume you mean you want me to just plunk down all the music inside that zip file into the music repository… as-is?

There must be a few thousand music files in this. None of them are organized. Few seem to have proper credits. Adding this to the repo as-is would be a definite ‘no’ from me, while properly renaming and updating all of these files would be a project that would probably take the better part of a day, maybe even a full week? I don’t remotely have that sort of time and I’d hesitate to dump it in Raulster’s lap, as he’s currently the designated music repo manager at the moment.

Plus… again, there are very few credits listed for these songs, a ton of them are missing game or song titles, and so on. It’s not just messy, it’s downright unusable in its current state.

Why are there Super Robot Wars and FE3 songs in the FE7if folder? What is ‘TwoPrincess’ and why does it have a bunch of songs from different game properties?

Also I’d have to bug Sme to get previews for all these songs, since they don’t have any.

Just looking at song.7z makes me feel exhausted.

Briefly, I would like you to do the following

cd FE-Repo-Music/[AA] MISSING PREVIEWS
mkdir song7z
cp -r /song7z/* /FE-Repo-Music/[AA] MISSING PREVIEWS/song7z/

Do not rename files!
If you rename them unnecessarily, you will cause extra trouble when updating.
If you don’t want to put it in the repository, you don’t have to.

I just can’t be bothered to respond every time with “your song or the data you are looking for is already on song7z”.
So many people have to look for song repository and song7z as well.
That is a hassle.
So I think it makes sense to merge them into one.

3 Likes

If you rename the files inside of song.7z to follow the Music Repo’s conventions, I can add them to the repo. If you do not, they will have to stay separate.

Since you are not a native English speaker, you might want to ask someone else to try and change song.7z’s naming conventions to match the Repo. It’s a more sensible convention anyway.

Game Name - Song Title {Musician Credits}

As I mentioned earlier, I do not change the file names.
I think it is better not to do this because changing the file name will make future updates more cumbersome.

If changing one’s name is a condition for inclusion in repo, then I will give up.
Because I do not want to change name.

I think I will just keep saying “the song you are looking for is in song7z” , but that is what I have to do.

2 Likes

I can add a link to the post with song.7z into the Music Repo. I will add the link in the Readme.md file so that it shows up on Github.

That’s the best I can do for now.

You are free to write the link or not.

My goal this time is not to have to say “the song you are looking for is already on song7z.”
I am not sure if that can be accomplished with a link.

Holy shit. Dogelore portraits!

They even made FLOPPA