FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

omg thank you so much ive been looking for lissa anims for my fe warriors remake in gba and these are so good

1 Like

my cringy potrait for an older ewan
Ewan but older (darknight97)

@darknight97 your submission doesnā€™t fit the repository criteria, so your post was moved

1 Like

Your portrait is zoomed in, and also lacking frames. While frames are not necessary to be submitted to the repo, they are preferred. Itā€™s the zoomed-in size that makes your portrait invalid, though.

Glad someone made use of that finally. That was my first and only ever battle anim lol

4 Likes

@Dark
Is there a reason youā€™re submitting someone elseā€™s work?

Because I talked to the person and he/she gave me permission.

Edit1: Donā€™t worry, I ask and make sure that there wonā€™t be a problem before posting something. I always respect the Creatorā€™s will.

Generally users should be submitting their own work, so this doesnā€™t answer my question lol

Hm. About that I kind of donā€™t have an answer. After playing some of their games I noticed that some sprites werenā€™t here, so I asked if the creators would feel alright and also would give permission to share them on the repository with the community.

1 Like

Then let them do it.

If Dark asked permission, then thereā€™s no problem. Some people just donā€™t like posting on FEU, for whatever reasons. Itā€™s a non-issue.

5 Likes

Your animations are well good done and I hope you will share them with us if you make any more.

2 Likes

You should also include in the credits doc the original development team of TPDP, namely FocasLens, since theyā€™re the ones that did 99% of the work in this (as in, the actual portraits/full sprites in the game.) I doubt anyone would use them, but itā€™d be irritating to have them not get credited for the work they did on the off chance someone does.

ā€¦itā€™s also probably just me and a friend, but using other gamesā€™ sprites as resources to share to the public, and calling them ā€˜free to useā€™, just feels extremely wrong to me.

Splicing FE portraits is now a bad thing. Weā€™ve come full circle.

https://i.imgur.com/GAs1v8Z.jpeg

Also donā€™t hack FE games, that would be stealing the work of Intelligent Systems.

Any other lukewarm takes people want to vomit onto this thread? Itā€™s been a real dismal past week or so.

Edit: And worth mentioning, if something is going to be shared publicly, of course itā€™s going to be listed as F2U. That is what the term F2U means. Itā€™s for people to use.

The credits do need to be added though.

8 Likes

Fair point there, but I think preserving copyright within the bounds of ā€˜weā€™re romhacking hereā€™ is still something worth to think about. Just my thoughts I probably shouldnā€™t have tacked on.

5 Likes

Given the above, yeah I agree that FocasLens as a whole should get a credit as well. I chose to credit Hemoglobin because he was the one who actually made the original sprites, but crediting the entire circle as well is fairer.

Iā€™ve taken the liberty of updating the credits doc in the relevant folder as well.

4 Likes

Stop it.
You know full well the context of using fire emblem sprites in a fire emblem community is entirely different than using assets from a different IP. Or were you unaware that the loading screen of the games literally shows the company that created it as well as the title? Not to mention the false equivalence you just created with your splicing statement.
Jey Iā€™m not even going to give you an actual response and instead an informal verbal warning. If you donā€™t want to be rude, donā€™t be rude.

1 Like

A small smattering of things that have been in the Repo for years and are directly ripped from other games. Youā€™ve waited this long to say something? A charitable man would say thatā€™s because you werenā€™t aware of their existence until just today, but I think the more likely reason is the simple logic of ā€œKlok is saying something so I must inherently disagree.ā€

And the reason Iā€™m sure that is the caseā€¦

This animation, and others, existed years ago in the SF forums and on FEU, this very forum, in the topic you ran, but said nothing about. You would think that if adding content ripped from other games was a problem, you would have said something sooner.

I donā€™t play Touhou. I donā€™t know anything about it. I see people who made the sprites or who otherwise claimed to, submitting them to a public repo for other people to enjoy and use.
Will I ever use them? Not even remotely.
Will I rain on their parade for seemingly no reason? Also no.

Now, if you have proof these people didnā€™t make the sprites or donā€™t have the right to post them, or that the original creators wouldnā€™t want to post themā€¦ fair enough. Iā€™ll be happy to remove them.

I want to thank you for your demonstrated professionalism and coolness of head. Unrelated: This might be why people donā€™t like to post on the FEU forums these days.

8 Likes

I would like to briefly interrupt this discussion (which I do not wish to get involved in so donā€™t @ me) with TOUHOU FUN FACTS.

When it comes to the direct usage of Touhou stuff (that is to say, anything found in the original Touhou games), ZUN has declared that anything you make thatā€™s self-published is allowed to use the source material in any way without even notifying him. However, he does specify that copyright of assets created by other people based on his stuff remains with them, which is what makes this fun fact irrelevant to the discussion at hand, hence why itā€™s just a fun fact.

What this does mean is you could probably toss anything from a direct Touhou game into the repo if you wanted to. Would you want to? Maybe if it was from one of the fighting games lol.

Link: Touhou Wiki:Copyrights | Touhou Wiki | Fandom

13 Likes

I have no idea what Touhou actually is but man, nice guy this ZUN preson.

6 Likes