Terrible Romhack Ideas (and some not so bad ones too)

Fire emblem, but whenever you attack someone that can counterattack, they duel until someone dies (and viceversa), like the arena. If they can’t counterattack you attack once like normal FE

9 Likes

Infinite Emblem:
Everyone has over 9000 movement.

1 Like

Fired Emblem:
A bunch of inept combatants are fired from their job, be it soldier, bandit, or priest, and team up to get revenge on their bosses.
Every player unit has 0 in every stat (sans HP and mov), and other than the Lord unit, all of the initial units have 0 growths too. A couple of lategame units might have growths to make up for all the units you’ll inevitably lose, but mostly it’s some noob characters only getting their butts saved by legendary weapons.

Pre-emptivlem:
You have one turn to beat each chapter. If the enemies ever get a turn, it’s game over.

Mobile Game Emblem:
Every time there’s a combat, a battle quote pops up telling you you can pay $9.99 to skip the battle quote. You can’t. It’s just always going to show up.

3 Likes

Swiss Emblem: The Infantry Revolution has kicked off in the setting, and the Lord’s nation is on the wrong end of the stick. You get lots of strong cavalry in your army, but Fighters, Mercenaries and Soldiers are equipped by default with Halberds, Zweihanders and Pikes, respectively, all of which are effective against cavalry.

Isekai Emblem: Your Lord is the only male unit in your army. The game’s code is rewritten from the ground up to make sure he can reach max support with everyone else. The other units range from the most painful waifu peddling imaginable to fleshed-out characters who are desperately trying to carry this stupid plot.

Harness Emblem: All units have no defense or resistance of their own. Everyone’s defensive stats come from pieces of armor and clothing you have to put in their inventory. The more protection, the higher the penalties to speed or move.

Wait… that last one might actually be cool, with a lot of work put into it.

8 Likes

OK I GUESS THIS IS WHERE ALL THE BAD PITCHES GO SO LEZ DO IT! XDD

Fire Emblem-A Villager’s Life

Main idea of this came to me from a convo with a friend of mine. We were talking about nostalgia inducing games and isekai animes. So… This weird idea of mine is literally the definition of “What if Fire Emblem’s gameplay and concepts is combined with Harvest Moon?”

And thus gave me the gameplay idea of playing a self insert villager as the main “Lord” of this game and most of the turns will define a day/night cycle as the lord is going around the village helping other villagers, creating a town through visiting different shops, and just building the best god damn village there is.

Majority of the classes will be based off different villager occupations (Miners, Farmers, Alchemists etc.) and thats what defines their class tree to slowly become part of a small army that the players will need to use at the end game.

Speaking of the end game, the end game will involve a bandit attack in which the villagers had to tolerate with before now them fighting back. And yes… combat only happens in the end game. EXP can be gained through things like mundane tasks, visiting different village establishments, and even interacting and inviting people to live in the village.

The stakes are so small and yet I feel like this idea is subjectively bad and not much people would want to play a turn based city builder game where the main goal is to make the best god damn village in a country.

I had fun making this “Bad Idea” and I hope you guys enjoyed laughing at this hahahaha.

12 Likes

“You wouldn’t know her, she’s from a different kingdom.”

This already exists. I played it.
(For those curious: [FE8US] Fire Emblem One Turn Clear)

These ideas are uncomfortably similar to a very real project of mine… I’m kinda hoping I can release it before someone outdoes me…

1 Like

Devil Emblem: either FE6, FE7 or FE8, but all weapons are devil weapons (and characters have atrocious luck)

Dunno if someone has already tried this, but it would be a fun hack.

5 Likes

Lag Emblem:
You don’t know the result of your previous action until you’ve already committed to your next.

Never Bring A Knife…:
All enemies have attack ranges between 2-5, and all of your units are melee.

Hero In The Making:
Units, player or enemy, at a higher level than their opponent automatically crit, you level up faster at high levels, and promotions increase growths. Basically you’re just going to snowball your two favorite units until either one can beat Seth with both hands tied behind their back.

Dis-Band of Brothers:
Units have naturally high stats, but supports build fast, if the point threshold is reached are mandatorily moved to the next rank at the end of the chapter, are unlimited in number, and give stat penalties. The stories in the supports are all the characters getting into fights of varying seriousness. War sucks.

9 Likes

Huh, kinda like that first one, if only due to original FF1 nostalgia.

1 Like

Too many Weapons!

Simply split each of the weapon type in the game into way too many subtypes to the point that the players become overwhelmed with the many weapon options.

Sword can have european light sword, katana’s, dadao, sabers, zweihanders, knife, rapier, etc.
Lances can have pikes, jousting spear, glaive, naginata, Guandao, Guisarme, etc.
Axe can have regular axes, hammer, scythe, maces, halberds, bec de corbin, etc.
Bow is turned into “physical ranged”, and can have bow, crossbow, slingshot, muskets, etc.
Anima can have fire, thunder, wind, water, earth, etc.
I don’t know how to split dark, light, and staves, so that one is up to you.

11 Likes

Each god has its own form of divine magic? Demon magic and Great Old Magic? Magical healing and herbal remedies?

5 Likes

0% growths but your units actually have good bases

1 Like

I have something similar in my own original game, but it’s that each magic type is represented by its own dragon. And there are… counts 20 so far?

1 Like

just for curiosity, how many magic per type in that game?

Speaking which, i think I’ll add some more idea. not really a romhack idea, just a chapter idea.

Death March Dungeon.
A lategame chapter. The lord(s) and one unit of your choice got stuck in a dungeon with 3 Est characters. The enemies inside are weak enough for the Est’s to fight against, but occasionally there are several enemies that can only be defeated by your lategame unit. While you can pretty much bulldoze the chapter with your now strong lord, it might be of your interest to start training the three Ests here, since after this chapter, the surviving Est will join your army.

1 Like
  1. 16 elemental chart and 1 basic. It’s not that impressive because there’s some overlap depending on that magic’s archetype.

The Middle Schooler Syndrome I speak of is the “I have the power of the Everlasting One and anime on my side! AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!” type.

3 Likes

Scramblem:
All of the correct UI labels are there, but they’re in the wrong place. SPD is labeled STR, for example, and HP is labeled XP. Bonus points if the labels are in the right place but the fields are switched around, for example the labels for attack and wait are in the right spots, but the attack label and slot are keyed to the wait command.

6 Likes

That actually sounds hilarious for a one off stream or something like that

1 Like

Tactical Nuclear Emblem: All enemy units and player units are ballisticians and Bolting mages that start lined up on opposite edges of the map. There is a lot of high movement penalty terrain in the middle of every map, which wouldn’t be as bad of a problem if it weren’t for the fact that every objective is escape or seize. Naturally, your lord is a ballistician with 4 move.

8 Likes

Would you be offended if I made this into a real romhack?

5 Likes