Revamped Fields Tileset

Don’t forget the water tiles need to be where they were supposed to be at, or else their animation gets really funny, since the tile animations are fixed to some tiles.

1 Like

I found some terrain errors in this tileset - peaks classed as rivers, plains classed as peaks, various water tiles with no terrain type, etc. I also found it awkward how the shore tiles are just “Water” terrain, so I made separate copies for Lake and Sea terrain and fixed all the terrain errors I could find.

2 Likes

Thank you for the contribution to this (long dead) thread. I’ll credit you in the pain post and put a link to this. I do wish there was a ‘Shore’ tile or a ‘Beach’ tile so that I wouldn’t have to list it under Water, but I felt that Water got the job done as a transition better than just ‘River’ or ‘Lake’ when that isnt always applicable.

It’s a matter of taste for me - I find it weird if a single body of water is both Water and Lake.

Also updated the tileset (same download link). I added some more sandy trail tiles from the vanilla tileset that were missing in the revamped one. Almost all of them are in now, which is good since there’s no more room to put them without spilling over into other areas. One of the fallen snag tiles was still listed as a Peak so I fixed that too. The tileset looks like this now:

You can see how the plains section is full up now (plus a stray one at the end of the roads).

3 Likes

Another update from noticing stuff as I draw maps.

Changes

-Fixed a temple corner tile using castle tiles; ported over missing closed temple door from vanilla Fields
-Ported some peak tiles, including bottom corners, peaks-with-plains background and a few inner peaks
-Added north-,west- and east-facing river dead end tiles
-Ported some broken road tiles
-Added alternate grey castle top tiles from unused OBJ data

Starting to get crowded now. Link is the same as before.

3 Likes

The third ‘generation’ of the Updated Fields Tileset is here, props to Vennobennu and Flasuban for assistance in making this update possible!

Major features include trees that can clash together nicely (SNES trees, pine and standard), hill tiles (best shown in the map at the bottom of this post), fixed diagonal rivers, improved texturing on the peaks (an extra shade is used on the side) and quite a bit more that I’m a bit too tired to showcase due to so many fuckin projects college is a thing sometimes.

Within a few days due to my current setup not having certain tiles (I’m a genius and misplaced my flashdrive with all my files), I’ll have everything looking fine along with 4 additional palettes (Autumnal, Wintry without being snow covered, aquamarine grass ala Fields1 in FE8, and a special one that I haven’t experimented with too much.)

The original link to Vennobennu’s work will be preserved as base FE8-graphics suit some people more than me; personally I love this.

Example Map

3 Likes

This dumb lil’ project of mine has come so far, and it makes me extremely happy to be able to release yet //another version. Really does make me appreciate y’all.

Current updates include the removal if nearly all remaining space (If you need to add your own tiles, replace the 2/3rds of the castle in the bottom right as it’s fairly useless).

This void has been filled in with BIG BRIDGES: If you’ve ever seen an actual bridge they’re more than 1 person wide. And now, you can make them more than 1 tile wide!

Here’s them in action on a painstakingly re-created Chapter 13 of FE6 (look it up on Serenes if you need to remember). They nice.

In addition, a few grass tweaks were done (adding in the flat lines for top and bottom for where sand is most of the tile but the rim is a bit of grass).

Credit goes to WaVE for the beeg bridges since I’d have fucked them up had I made them myself.

Even MORE importantly are 4 other dazzling palettes!

All alternate palettes

This way, if you like the aquamarine grass in the normal FE8 tileset like I do, or if you’re a sadist who enjoys the purple water and stark grey mountains, you now have easier access to them since my tileset breaks standard palettes. My Autumnal palette, pictured above in that map, is included too.

It also includes a deeper Evergreen palette, which I already know most won’t like but I enjoy it. I should have made the sand a bit more shadowed on the shadowy bits but I got a bit lazy and it’s 2:37 in the morning and honestly lll update it later.

ye.

If you’re a true sadist who likes piss water well make that yourself I dont feel like doin that.

11 Likes

TILESET ANIMATIONS ARE BROKEN.

I’ll be making a new post later today once I get this fixed, was hoping to avoid ever having to do this but here we are

EDIT: For now, anyone with any of my maps utilizing this tileset can disable tileset animations on all maps with this until further notice. Is fine tho, I’ll get to it slowly.

1 Like

Hey remember when I said I’d get this fixed?

I’m going to need to do some serious work if I even get around to doing it. Big issues being that all of the water doesn’t load right thanks to custom cliffs.

My main fix will probably be to fully revert the water tiles. This will be hell. I will see what I can do, though.

2 Likes

remember that thing where i say something and it happens either 6 months later or two minutes after posting

Thanks to Flasuban for doing this for me after mentioning that I posted this in passing. even if it did take 6 months.

Animations should work just fine with this, but be cautious about replacing existing animations as they break everything else.

9 Likes

Hopefully one of the last updates I’ll ever have to do for this, not because I don’t want to improve it but because the tileset is rather full and still kept most all of its aesthetic charm!

What’s been added this time? Lemme tell ya!

• Flasuban got around to doing the Animation tiles (check post above), so now everything animates that should animate! If there are any issues, let me know and I can try to address them as soon as I can.
  • Fences ripped directly from the improved Frontier tileset, they’re pretty generic but they’re blocky enough to create walls for sections of houses or for a decent-sized fortress wall.
  • Vertical doors go along with this nicely, found next to the mountains (please use gates for horizontal doors, improv if you can until I find room!)
  • Tall cliffs, ripped from my Fort, which was ripped from Flasuban’s Frontier, which was based off the improved Frontier’s tall cliffs, which were partially inspired through Thracia’s tall cliffs. Cliff cliff cliff.
  • There’s also tons of connector pieces for them including watercliffs (see: bottom right)
  • I added red to one of the houses and will add red to other buildings soon. Brown everything is incredibly ugly and I have no idea why I wanted so long to fix this.

AND FOG! I forgot to add Fog last time I did tilesets, which I don’t understand considering I’m a workaholic who loves suffering. So now I’ve added it to the main four palettes - Aquamarine, Green, Autumnal and the Thracian Purple based off Thracia’s Ch.12.

Here they are, based off an example map I’ve been working on - a recreation of a Thracia map. This marks my eventual descent into insanity as I begin to remake Thracia from the ground up. /s

Also, please note that the Purple Thracia palette’s fog is meant for Darkness, as that’s what it looked best for at the time.

Enjoy, and happy mapping and stuff its 12:56 am sorry for abrupt post end

minutes later edit oops

I had to delete some road tiles from the tileset to make room, but I kept general shapes. It wasn’t worth having ugly tiles around imo, and there’s still several road tiles in place.

9 Likes

Not nearly as important as the previous update, but still an important one: Fields Village.

Three variants - Aquamarine, Green, and Autumnal - are included, along with the requisite Fog palettes.

Instead of working on an entirely separate Village tileset I decided it would be miles easier for someone like me to just put the Village houses in my Fields. Doors, horizontal and vertical, help out. I also added Sand Cliffs and Sand Peaks, which I’ll add to my normal fields (the cliffs) when I return to mapping in a while.

Gonna be taking a short break - but I’ll post more on it in my FEU thread.

11 Likes

i return

Hey look, I added a bunch of cool things. Several of the Lake Sand, Deeps, and a castle were all either unused, very rarely used or terrible looking, so I scrapped them in exchange for adding more detailing. As such, we now can have some stairs, a little ledge, sand cliffs, and some sand detailing. I also cleaned up several of the errors in the Mapchip Config (several Bridges were listed as Cliff or Water.)

9 Likes

Hey y’all, I’m back!

Much like the Nov 20th edit of the standard Fields, a ton of the Deeps tiles and specific Sea tiles were rather, uh, useless, considering most of them didn’t even work as the tileset animations were broken for them. Instead of working to fix that, which would be a pain as I didn’t create the original tiles, I decided to just… replace them with more interesting stuff!

In the Fields Village’s case, it’s a ton of stair tiles, all of the same tree combos that you’ve been seeing out of my past few maps (inspired greatly from Thracia’s maps), along with some… familiar tiles.

PORTS BABY

example

No, there isn’t room for a ship, I would really like to but that’s just not a thing that can happen.

just you wait

The ports are a bit limited in scope, but featuring easier connections for the cardinal directions, shadows, barrels, and rope, you’ve got just about everything you could want for a port map outside of the boat itself - and I’m pretty sure you can work without a ship for the time being.

Also featured is taller fences, which should make adding elevated sections of cities much more easy and helps improve the tileset in ways I could have only imagined a few months ago.

There’s a lot of niche maps that really appreciate these edits, and in the future I might do some more tweaking for stuff like barrels on roads if I can find room.

Oh, you also get this map for free, earlier than I’ll put it into a mapping dump, as seeing it in action will help make the mapmaking process a thousand times easier.

aight im done peace out folks, if you have some spare time feel free to browse my FEU thread’s recent posts. I’ve been working on my portrait making skills for the past few months and I think I’m getting somewhere, but getting more feedback than just the Spritans room would be super helpful.

14 Likes

I’m back (for five seconds) to fix some old issues.

Namely, a bunch of my custom edits (such as a ton of variations for sand cliffs) that removed tons of the excess tiles that are virtually unusable now got accidentally deleted when carrying stuff over from older versions. When I finally get around to releasing my final mapping dump and the last big mapping project, Remaking FE8’s Maps, which ties in to a certain friend’s project going live, they’ll only be compatible with this version of my tileset. So, now you can do more cool sand cliffs and Sandy Logs to knock down.

Second, after realizing it when interacting with someone in Anna’s Secret Shop, I never got around to correcting the normal Village 3x3 houses despite fixing everything else, and finally got around to doing so.

Two of the palettes in this batch, the Sunset and Nighttime ones, are almost completely ripped from two of JellyUnicorn’s fantastic palettes, although I went ahead and added some Fog versions, a bright fog for Sunset and darkness for the Nighttime variant. Big thankies to her for letting me use them, since they sort of ‘complete’ this tileset and help make it feel more natural. And helps the all-of 5 people who enjoy nighttime maps.

Speaking of which, both have also been added to the Fields Village, but of which also by JellyUnicorn. However, these ones do not currently have Fog variants. Since the download link didn’t need updating, I’ve elected to just add them to the old folder.

k back to playing Fate at 1:27 am on a tuesday very early morning

9 Likes

( i’m not a guy btw :v )

1 Like

Apologies, updated!

2 Likes

Zora is the coolest consistently.

2 Likes

Do you have the animations for the NEW(er) Zoramine Fields?

EDIT: Oh do they use same ones as the Village Fields?

Tileset Animations should be unchanged between versions, as I did my damndest to prevent it from becoming an issue. Should it pose one, however, send me a DM and I’ll fix it as soon as I can.

1 Like