Latest release: v0.3.22.0 (released on 1/22/22)
— Dropbox Download Link —
I am happy to introduce you all to my FE project: Absolution!
The current build, v0.3.22.0, starts at the prologue and ends at chapter 22. PLAY ON HARD FOR THE INTENDED EXPERIENCE. Normal, Lunatic, and Infernal are all untested. The game runs in the Legacy Lex Talionis engine, and as such is easy to download and play! All you have to do is download the game from the link above, unzip it, and double click the “double_click_to_play” batch file.
Absolution takes place in the world of Aletheia, a world split in half by conflicts too old to remember. Today, the two sides of Aletheia reunite - in less than harmonious circumstances. Help Valentina Bolivar free her people from oppression and overcome her personal demons through a story that spans two continents and 7 countries. Along the way, you will encounter many unique and powerful allies, varied and interesting map objectives, and many new gameplay mechanics like the skill system, forge, and kitchen. The road ahead is an arduous one, laden with inconvenient and painful truths. But still, you must fight onward towards absolution, and right the wrongs of millennium past!
The project also has a dedicated Discord server, which you can join here:
— Discord Server Link —
Unfamiliar with Lex Talionis? Here’s a quick little guide:
Lex Talionis Basics
Lex Talionis is an engine written entirely in Python, designed for Fire Emblem, and created by rainlash. The use of Python as base allows for all sorts of features, including the Base menu from the Tellius games and area-of-effect weapons. Let’s walk through what you’ll see when you first load up Absolution.
1.) The first thing you will see is the title screen (it looks like the image at the top of this post). Lex Talionis “maps” a key on your keyboard to a button on the GBA. You can change these mappings at any time! The default setup is as follows:
[A] → x
[B] → z
[ R ] → c
[ L ] → a
D-pad → arrow keys
[ START ] → s
To change this, you can navigate to “Extras” on the main menu and into “Options.” Next, move over from “Config” to “Controls.” You can then use whatever key is mapped to [A] to select a mapping and from there press whatever new key you’d like to map it to. Simple! You can do this at any time wherever the options menu is accessible.
2.) Now that your controls are mapped to your liking, select “New Game” on the main menu to begin Absolution! You’ll be asked to choose a difficulty. Choose Normal for the intended experience. You’ll then be asked to choose between casual and classic mode. These work just as in regular FE. Finally, choose your style of level ups. Refer to the descriptions provided for details (or ask me if you need more info).
3.) Now that you have a save file, new options will appear on the main menu when you save and quit. “Continue” will load the last battle save. “Load Game” will load the last proper save you made (ie. saves at the start of a chapter, prep screen, etc.). “Restart Level” will load the save before last (so if you save at the base, and then at the prep screen, you can use Load Game to start from the prep screen and Restart Level to start from the base).
And that’s the basics of playing any Legacy Lex Talionis game! Hopefully that lowered any barriers to entry you may have had before playing Absolution.
If you’re in the middle of a playthrough when the game updates, don’t despair! Assuming saves are compatible between updates, transferring saves in Lex Talionis is a breeze!
1.) Download the latest build from the link in either the original post or the update post. Then follow the installation instructions as usual. Keep the new version completely separate from the old version.
2.) Navigate to the “absolution_data” folder in the old build (it should just above the “double_click_me_to_play” file). Inside it you will see a number of folders labeled data, audio, etc. The important one is the “Saves” folder, which as you might guess holds all your save data. Make a copy of your old Saves folder.
3.) Navigate to the “absolution_data” folder in the current build. Inside you’ll see the same folders as you did in the previous build. Simply delete the Saves folder and replace it with the old one you copied.
And presto, you’re good to go! You should now have access to your saves in the newest version of Absolution.
Discalimer : I always recommend keeping a backup of the old version for a little while just in case I make a mistake and saves aren’t actually compatible when I say they are. I don’t think that will ever happen, but it’s a good idea regardless.
Details about the game:
Implemented/In Progress Features:
- An original story/scenario with original characters
- Original music written specifically for the game. Check out the soundtrack here!
- A simple yet robust class system
- 2 - 3 range archers, 1 - 2 range crossbows, and a combination of Radiant Dawn-style and Fates-style knives
- A variety of personal skills and combat arts
- A Tellius-style skill system where units can equip and unequip skills using scrolls
- A Paper Mario style cooking system! Units can eat one cooked food item per chapter to receive battle-long stat buffs!
- Multiple difficulties. Hard is the intended default difficulty, the rest are untested.
- Lore Houses. Currently only colored-roof houses can be visited.
- Supports. A small handful of C supports are written, but the vast, vast majority of support convos have no dialogue at the moment.
Custom Item Sprites:
Custom Class Cards
- Team SALVAGED
Custom Map Sprites
- Team SALVAGED
- Arcane Eli
Custom WEXP Icons
Custom Affinity Icons
Custom Combat Animations
- Adelita: Mikey Seregon, Khrene Kleaver, Khardos
- Male Assassin: Jj09
- Female Assassin: Keks_krebs, Peerless, SD9K, The_Big_Dededester
- Armor Knights: Nuramon
- Female Berserkers: Serif, eCut, Skitty, Pikmin1211
- Male Cavaliers: Team SALVAGED
- Female Cavaliers: Team SALVAGED, flasuban
- Male Bow Cavalier: Orihara_Saki, DerTheVaporeon, Kao, Aurora
- Female Bow Cavalier: DerTheVaporeon, Kao, Aurora
- Villager: Nuramon
- Male Crusader: DerTheVaporeon, Pikmin1211
- Female Crusader: Leo_link, Iscaneus, DerTheVaporeon
- Dracoknight (axe): Mikey Seregon, Alfred Kamon
- Eagle Knight: Blue Druid
- Griffon Knight, Blue Druid, Masier6
- Male Fighter: Waleed, Flasuban
- Female Fighter: Black Mage
- Gunner: DerTheVaporeon, Pikmin1211
- Male Halberdier: TBA
- Female Halberdier: Black Mage
- Harrier: Red Bean, Mikey Seregon, Marlon0024
- Male Hero: Nuramon
- Female Hero: Nuramon, flasuban
- Female Hoplite: CirclesEverywhere
- Leviathan: Pikmin1211, Jj09
- Female Mercenary: TBA
- Templar: Spud
- Moonwing: GratedShtick
- Male Paladins: Team SALVAGED, ObsidianDaddy
- Female Paladins: Team SALVAGED, ObsidianDaddy, Levin64
- Phalanx: Nuramon
- Pirate: DerTheVaporeon
- Female Rogue: Pikmin1211, Maiser6, Ukelele, SD9K, Temp, Black Mage, Wan
- Soldier: Alusq
- Spy: DerTheVaporeon, Pikmin1211
- Male Sun Knight: GabrielKnight
- Alternate Sun Mage: Eldritch Abomination
- Female Sun Mage: Teraspark
- Male Troubador: GabrielKnight
- Female Warrior: Temp
Custom Spell Animations
Custom Tilesets and Map Palettes
Custom Cutscene Backgrounds
- Fate Grand Order
Sprite and Texture Rips
- Retreiver II
Custom Tilesets and Tileset Palettes
- Lord Tweed
Thank you so much for checking out the project! If you decide to give it a try, please consider giving feedback! It would be very much appreciated. (And also feel free to share who your favorite units are! I love that sort of thing.) Either way, I hope you have fun! Above all, that’s the one thing I want the game to be.