FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Iā€™m currently concepting a Hero variant, with the goal of an hybrid Hero/General.
Itā€™s supposed to be a take of an medieval knight, combined with a bit of mythical.

Hereā€™s the current Concept.

If you have any criticism or ideaā€™s for improvement, let me know.

11 Likes

the head i think, shapeā€™s good but you probably want it a pixel or 2 wider, and the front piece, maybe make the middle gap 2 pixels instead of 1 i kinda saw it as mandibles instead of a front piece (although Iā€™m not a spriter so take those with a grain of salt hehe)

1 Like

I have completed a modified version and posted it.

The palette next to the skin palette is not used.
This could be used to create a better gradient.
This palette is used in vanilla as a palette for the weapons you have.

Only one of the four sword motions was ported.
Only vanilla motions are used, and motions for throwing swords in chains and such have not been ported.
The reason is that it is troublesome.
If you want to have it, please port it by yourself and publish it.

3 Likes

Cool! This looks amazing. Thank you.

I noticed the 16x16 journeyman map sprite I made is only credited to IS. Why is that?

2 Likes

I love it l hope it can be used as soon as possible :smiley:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s a string, but rather that the line is for shorts.

So, Iā€™m really far behind on updating the Repo. If I were 100 posts behind that would be bad enough but Iā€™m at least 150 and itā€™s only going to get worse moving forward.

I basically need someone to assist me or fully take over. I just donā€™t have time to keep maintaining the Repo. It doesnā€™t pay my bills and itā€™s quite time-consuming. I have a minimum of three major projects on my plate and as awesome as it is seeing the community flood the Repo with posts, which means more resources for everyone, I canā€™t keep up with a forum of hundreds of submitters alone.

Anyone feel like helping me out on a regular basis? I have an update coming for the Portrait Repo that will finally add previews on Github, credit to @igrotsbol as usual.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jcassity/FE-Repo/nextFixes/Portrait%20Repository/README.md

(Note this is on his version of the github so itā€™ll be outdated once the main repo gets some updates, and heā€™s still working on a few minor improvements before I push it to the main branch.)

I just donā€™t have the ability to keep up with the Repo given my current, modern workload. I turned 30 this month and Iā€™m too busy to keep up. Any assistance would be awesome.

Edit: And just so weā€™re clear, Iā€™ll help whoever steps up every step of the way to getting set up on their end and understanding what exactly needs to be done to take over the Repo. I wonā€™t just say ā€˜okay cool here you goā€™ and throw it in your lap.

8 Likes

I can help out. I have at least a few hours free almost every day. So once I learn how upload stuff to GitHub, I can help as much as you need

5 Likes

should probably ask people to condense submissions into single posts and zip 'em up with filenames formatted/organized into directories as much as possible to save time in the future; small drops are what personal threads are for imo

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ some people are bigger offenders than others. Itā€™s important to keep stuff condensed and not have 20 posts with two portraits a post, for example.

Iā€™ll be getting in touch with Raulster and Jey to take over a big portion of this updating process. If anyone else wants to pitch in, lmk.

2 Likes

Given there is about to be much discussion about the repoā€™s future, Iā€™d like to get a idea of mine out there.

I feel like what would really improve the repo are tags, especially for portraits and music. Having the majority of portraits in the OC folder organized by artist, itā€™s terribly hard to find anything specific. Music, if there is no preview, you have no idea what it sounds like if youā€™re unfamiliar with the song without downloading and inserting it.

I am suggesting there to be tags for portraits such as ā€œlong_hair, armor, maleā€ maybe a suggested specific class for the character ā€œpeg_knight, cavalierā€ or what the character does ā€œbandit, magic, healer.ā€ No color-specific tags, though, as palettes can be changed. Music would only need one tag such as ā€œboss, player, enemy, attack, victoryā€ but others could be added to describe the tone, etc.

How to implement? Simply add them to the fileā€™s name, maybe in [square brackets] before the author(s) name (if grouped by author, at the end). I donā€™t think we need to worry about the file path getting too long, as the portraits/music likely to be tagged are only 2 or 3 nested folders deep. The biggest issue would be tagging the vast amount of existing content, but new submitters could easily tag their own stuff. For example: ā€œCharacter [tags] (author)ā€ or put tags at the end if in the author OC section.

That would kind of be like we are already doing for battle animations and so on. I really like that idea for music, but there is one problem with that, especially for portraits, and that is how to quantify those in a good way. It can easily turn into a situation where one thinks ā€œoh, there is no portraits with bald headsā€, but in reality there is no such tag. Or even worse when there is but itā€™s not tagged as such.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I like the idea. Iā€™m just trying to think about problems that would need to be solved.

1 Like

My schedule is a bit too unpredictable for me to take on bigger responsibilities, but Iā€™m happy to help out from time to time.
Could there be an idea that certain people try to be responsible for certain type of assets? For example one thing that is not that common is map animations and that could be handled by someone with less time.

Just throwing out some ideas :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This sounds really wacky and fun until you try asking yourselfā€¦ how exactly do you plan to implement said tags? What are you going to do, put them in the name of files?

https://i.imgur.com/15YfwwJ.png
Flavia [Blonde, Bun, Dark_Skin, Female, etc] {Cathreen}.png

Something like that? Because son, a lot of the work Iā€™ve put into the Repo recently has been to reduce filename lengths. We have a hard limit of 255 before people canā€™t even extract the bloody repo to their PCs, and realistically you want the longest folder name to be 180 characters or even shorter wherever possible.

And none of this even mentions all the work that would require. Are you going to go through and tag (checks) 7,600 portraits with a dozen tags each?

So, itā€™s not happening, ever. If we had the website we could add a tag system and in fact I was going to include such a thing. Unfortunately I havenā€™t heard anything about the website in months, so itā€™s probably not happening. Iā€™m actually a little worried about @copywright since I havenā€™t seen him at all. Itā€™s like he fell off the face of the planetā€¦ hope heā€™s okay.

Youā€™re already listed as a Repo Updater on Repocord, so I can definitely add you to the task managers. Putting people in charge of specific assets is a great idea.

@Alice @JeyTheCount and @milom, what sorts of resources would you prefer to be in charge of? Thereā€™s plenty to go around. I imagine Raulster would like to manage the music repo, for example? Jey for portraits? Etc? Up to you guys.

2 Likes

Just my 2 cents on the tag idea, I think if the github code for previewing mugs works in the next update your planning out, I think the tags are a little less required because people can just browse the mugs rather than clicking on names and hoping for the best.

EDIT: to clarify this is in regards to the discussion of things like bald character or female blonde or something. Artist, franchise etc I think is still valid.

https://feuniverse.us/t/fire-emblem-resource-repository-battle-animations-portraits-music-etc/3326/4409

Why the original author reordered it differently from Titis is a mystery.
However, the reason I reordered them again in creating the subsequent lance motion is to accommodate the Triangle Attack.
If the palette is different from the order of the Falcon or Pegasus, they cannot participate in the Triangle Attack.

Ever wonder why Tethysā€™ palette never matched her official artwork? Well itā€™s a good thing that i made a one to match her official colours. Also made one for her Harrier sprite.
Tethys Palette
Tethys Palette2

13 Likes

This was moved because there is nothing to take from this image outside of colors.

2 Likes

Nice animation.
BTW, I think you should add C01 to Modes 9, 10, and 11.
at least in vanilla, since they all have C01 written on them.

~~~
/// - Mode 9               #Equiped with Melee Weapon
4 p- Sword_000.png
C01                 #<- ADD
~~~
/// - Mode 10               #Standing motions
4 p- Sword_000.png
~~~
/// - Mode 11               #Equiped with Ranged weapon
4 p- Sword_000.png