Zoramine's Bucket Of Many Random Things

Oh dear, Cave and Fire. Dude, do we have any dragon inside the cave?

3 Likes

Shill for Updated Village Tileset. Shill over.

Here’s a source for all of the palettes that you can see in all of my maps above, all of them, including the ones I’m a lot less proud of but still like because I can enjoy bad things.

Here’s a few examples of the many oddities for those who might otherwise hesitate and need the push to click away from this page:

Oh and here’s a teaser for something else I’m working on that’s also included that fits into this same topic.

9 Likes

Is it okay if I put together some custom snow palettes for your Castle/Fields tilesets? I’m probably going to make them free to use with credit.

EDIT: Turns out you already have snow palettes. …Oops. I might mess with the castle one in particular to make it work with fog, though. And I’m not sure if the Fields one works with your revised tileset.

1 Like

Feel free to use whatever is here as you see fit. Make custom palettes if you want - you can post them here and I’ll update my documents and list you under whatever you create.

And to increase the length of this post, here’s all my recent maps that I forgot to put here.

Chapter 1 of a mini project I’m working on behind the scenes.

Two seperate maps based on Miklan’s chapter and the Battle of Eagle and Lion in 3H. Latter is very heavily edited due to the original map being awful.

Castle map with gold and deep blue palette. Utilizes alternate colors on new tiles added in my castle tileset (recent additions, will get updated later) for a nice tiled floor.

Great Wall of China map. Or something like that. Lower gates transport players to the top ones above them, respectively.

Winter-based village map which also works with my Nickt-inspired Village palette. Utilizes waterfalls, fence walls, and several unique things such as the house directly next to an armory.

Fun map with more libaral usage of mountains and the smaller peak tiles with mostly square roads and raspberry-colored mountains. I was eating a raspberry cheesecake cookie while making this palette.

Snow map with heavily mountain and forested regions.

Another village featuring several waterfalls, but cuts back on ships in favor of bridges.

Mountainous pathway leading to several villages with a forested and mountainous shortcut, all culminating in a gate that you need to pass through.

Ignore the house that got cut off.
Marshland palette for the Frontier tileset. Also features a non-marshland version.

15 Likes

Massive map dump #2 except now I have a general bucket for everything not just maps… so this belongs right here. Comes with every map since my arena map in the stronghold tiles, so post 9 and below along with a few extras. Comes with .pngs of each map so they’re easy to tell by, often named for their defining features (Forest Maze, Arena, Standard Frontier Map) or the names I’ve given them (Nekoyama Falls, Castle of the Water Queen, etc).

As with all of my maps, they’re free to use with credit although I’d like to know what they’re being used on before you haphazardly put them into a hack. Especially if it’s something like PMEs, as I’m not a fan of those.

Something something I don’t know how to end posts.

edit: good way to end the post: freshman success homework suc

9 Likes

Your maps have a great aesthetic. Always enjoy looking at your work. Thanks for sharing these with the community!

2 Likes

I love the way the maps look and the palettes on many of them, but if I could offer some slight constructive feedback, you’ve got a lot of missing shading/shadows (especially on indoors maps - right sides of pillars, walls that are to the right of braces and caps or are in nooks, etc.) and tilespam (the grass on the map cutting back on ships for bridges, the blue stone floor tiles, the gold ruin floor tiles in the center, etc.) or incomplete sections (the center road on the Great Wall map) floating around. I know in some instances, especially for shadows, the tileset won’t always provide an option (especially for one-tile sections that need shadowed on the left and need an end line on the right), but having them all just missing feels like it’s detracting from the end result a little bit.

2 Likes

Pillars do not always have shading all along them; in many instances, if the pillars are thin, I use a half tile shadow (See the castle map with Gold and Blue palette). This is because the pillar is not so wide as to impede movement through it. However, the taller pillars that are more thick utilize a full block shadow. Any other map with examples of non shading feel free to point out.

The center road on the Great Wall map has been fixed since I took that image, I just never updated the image because lazy human being.

EDIT: Main post is being edited to include a link to my maps in addition to other things.

There are only 2 maps in the entirety of FE8 that do not have shading to the right of the top portion of the pillar tiles - one is a cutscene map (with a flashback version too) and the other only has it on one of the pillars (all of the rest on that map do have it and this one only doesn’t because there’s grass to its right). There are a smattering that surprisingly do not have the spot shadow in the bottom right corner but do have the lined shadow down the side. I know there are some exceptions to this rule (FE7 Dragon’s Gate comes to mind with how it does shadows differently), but this is the majority of maps that do this across all three GBA titles. (There are additionally a few more in FE6 and FE7 that are missing the shadow, but the number is much smaller for those that don’t versus maps that do.)

I only looked through a handful of maps for the shading I’m referring to, here are some examples (though, not every tileset may have a way to fully address all of these - the 5th image might not be able to shadow the fence tiles as I can’t remember if there are tiles for it that work like the standard wall tops):

Also, re: tilespam, the tilesets have variations for grass, stone floors, etc, so might as well use them to at least make the pattern not as noticeable.

Several of these tilesets do not have shadows on the walls, nor would shadows necessarily be cast. Namely, village and the brick walls on the Castle tileset. The Mountainous map that fills up with water I’ll give you credit on, but other examples I can fully defend myself on.

Also that map is honestly pretty bad but I like it. So it’s in the compilation.

Credit to Flasuban for the tileset, he made a Judgral tileset and I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it. Will have more to show tomorrow.

7 Likes

Oh yeah, that tileset! I should try making something with it eventually. Maybe tomorrow?

Idk about them walls BUT THEM TREES/BUSHES THO
It looks hella nice

1 Like

Another mountains map in my standard style, but utilizing the Thracian tileset. Could be better in terms of scale, but I should have thought ahead before keeping going. Particularly am a fan of the thicket-forest tiles and am trying several variations out.
Raspberry%20Fields%20WIP%208
Raspberry%20Fields%20WIP%201%20(1)

Grand Falls, inspired by Noel Canyon’s waterfalls. Utilizes special river tiles and non-moving Lake tiles to create the allusion of a waterfall when combined with a cliff face. Features a gif of the waterfall section to serve as a visual representation.

15 Likes

this gives me that pokemon ruby/sapphire/emerald vibes of using the Hidden Move dive when ontop of a dark water

does that mean theres a hidden cave system under those waters

4 Likes

6 Likes

Here’s some more maps with Flasuban’s Fields and Castle tilesets.

Fun Magical Forest or something. I’m too lazy to find a creative name for this one.
something%20about%20magical%20forests%20or%20something%20maybe
“Old Man Jenkins’ Farm”
OLD%20MAN%20JENKINS%20FARM
“Village Square”
Close-Up%20Village%20Square
“Custom Sewers”
Finished%20sewers
“Testing Village”
nice
“Trek Through the Jungle”
Trek%20In%20The%20Jungle

13 Likes

Third mapping dump, but I’m too tired to really make any witty jokes.

Includes Mapchip Configs of the variants of Flasuban’s stuff. I create custom tiles whenever I come up with whackadoodle ideas, and they end up here. Also included all of my palettes so that y’all don’t need to pester him for any.

Features every map from above and the additionals or new edits to older ones- (shown below the link)

Freeroam
Most%20Recent

Port%20Village

11 Likes

Great work, it’s criminal how underused these tilesets are. These maps are amazing.

2 Likes

Heard you like docks. :^)

2 Likes

gotta dock harder 2: electro boogaloo

Although seriously, when Flasu has created the thracia tileset with a ship added to it, I’ll definitely be trying my hand at making even more dedicated dock maps (Venice style maybe?)

1 Like