Updated Lava Cave/Volcano/Hell Village Tileset

For a quick way back into my main thread, for those either curious on what else I’ve done or who just want to hop to my main page, here’s a backwards link to my main ‘Bucket’ which features all of the other stuff I do, including tilesets, battle animations, portraits, and occasionally stupid things like recreating all of Thracia!

This Lava Cave variant isn’t significantly different than the original, but it adds a few specific pieces that might be useful, such as the corner pieces right above the cobbled floors or the Lava Village houses! They’re a very old addition that I came up with while playing Pokemon Emerald for the first time and reaching Lavaridge town.

This tileset is (somewhat) outdated, but it remains the only Lava Cave tileset that’s easy to use. As such, I still recommend it for those going through the (painful) process of creating a volcano or lava cave map.

For sake of record keeping, here’s the original page’s version.

Older version of this page

Figured I’d post this (finally) since I forgot to release it during last year when I’d made it. Oops.

Minor changes include the addition of several floor tiles that were in the tileset but not included, sloping walls, several extra variations on the cliffs to allow for taller cliffs, trees that are a bit messy (apologies!) and houses. Easily the hardest part of this tileset was fitting the buildings in, but damn if I didn’t do a good job.

Here’s two example maps (with their .tmx files included in the download)
Example%20Map
Example%20Map%20%232

Perhaps it needs more polish, but I like it as is. I also don’t intend to return to the tileset despite editing it heavily because this tileset is a nightmare, and this is about as good as I could get before tiring myself out. Note the maps are poorly made because they are from a time a while back where I was quite worse at mapping.

And where can you download this? Right here!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wzh23d15auh48y0/AAAY5ITXCCwRsmJXGPKNW-mOa?dl=0

10 Likes

Lol hell village
Despite how ridiculous the concept is, this is dope

3 Likes

Some really impressive additions. Even the additional cliffs will open up a lot of new options. Thanks for this!

TBH the concept came from me playing Pokemon Emerald and realizing that Lavaridge Town is really fucking cool even if it’s a ways away from the volcano itself. Once I get inspired there’s little stopping me other than a deadline for a Java project that I forgot about.

1 Like

Well, in asia culture, there are some story about a place where spirit of the people who passed to live, paying for their crime they made while still living and waiting for another life after life. Called them Hell Village doesn’t too bad