Unit Movement Speed

Unit Movement Speed:

0x00 = Don’t use this. Unit’s map sprite jumps to destination after unit’s turn is finished.
0x01 = Extremely slow (takes ~4.5 seconds for unit to move 1 space!)
0x10 = Normal game-speed option + class has slow movement setting. (knight, shaman, civilians)
0x20 = Normal game-speed option + class has normal movement setting.
0x40 = Fast game-speed option.
0x80 = Super speed when holding A after completed game.
It seems 0x80 is the fastest speed.

FE7 Speed Settings:

Only the normal game-speed option makes use of the speed setting in class data (byte 0x07).
Table at 08C9D03C:
Index 00 (normal class speed) = 0x02
Index 01 (slow class speed) = 0x01
End Table
Multiply table value by 0x10 to calculate movement speed.

0806D4BE = Movement speed for fast game-speed option. (Default 0x40)
0806D476 = Movement speed when holding A after completed game. (Default 0x80)
0806D45E: Replace 0FD1 with 0000 to disable the completed game requirement for the hold-A speed change.

FE8 Speed Settings:

Normal game-speed table: 089A2C78 (used in the same manner as FE7)
08079514 = Movement speed for fast game-speed option. (Default 0x40)
080794FE = Movement speed when holding A after completed game. (Default 0x80)
080794EE: Replace 0BD1 with 0000 to disable the completed game requirement for the hold-A speed change.

6 Likes

Something to keep in mind: if you change these, it might jimmy with MOVE events that have speed specified, so be sure to double-check those if you have any in your game.

For example, I used this discovery to change the movement speed settings from Normal/Fast to Fast/Very Fast. Since I made Fast (the slot for Normal) the default speed, the MOVE events still acted as if they were at Normal speed (whereas I had Fast’s slot as the default speed before making it Very Fast), so a MOVE [char] 3 went from being a leisurely pace to being a slug in a salt mine’s pace.
Thanks, Gryz! This is one of those things that I never knew I wanted.

This is a pretty cool default option to have! Thanks!