Tactile - SRPG Game Engine (and FEXNA)

Yeah let’s not have immortal sword take ten more years to be transferred to yet another platform :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeti talked about this on Jan 7

FNA stays true to XNA (except the content pipeline ect.) while monogame supports new things. Considering that the switch to both libraries is not that complicated and Tactile is still in beta, I’d go with monogame. Should be worth it in the long run. But that’s only my 2 cents here :slight_smile:

I mean, that’d be great as long as the transfer was easy. But keep in mind that it took 10 years between engine releases here (FEXP to FEXNA/Tactile). Technically it’s Yeti’s engine and he can do what he wants, and I’ll be damned if I take that away from him, but it’d be really disheartening to turn around and hear that Tactile is no longer supported just because “whee better engine that came out because our development is slow.” (A.K.A. what’s already happened with the original FEXP engine.)

Not trying to sound entitled (though I’m sure it’ll come across that way to some), just saying how things would feel from the consumer standpoint.

tl;dr this all sounds like familiar ground and it doesn’t sound promising.

1 Like

No worries: monogame, FNA and XNA are basically the same thing. :slight_smile: The tactile engine will stay the same.
XNA got discontinued by Microsoft and development projects are open source now. Porting is not that complicated but you have to put some effort into that. If you want to publish also for android and other platforms you will have to port it over to one of those project-frameworks. So this is really needed.

Your argument emphasizes (from my point of view) that going with monogame would be the best option to play it “save” for the future.

Anyways, FNA and monogame are awesome choices and do not lack behind in terms of modern programming capabilities. Tactile is easily the most professional FE project from an technical standpoint that we have out there atm.

edit: more info about XNA, FNA and monogame:

1 Like

This is very cool. Trying to get the assets to populate tho. If anyone makes a walkthrough video (Like some did with FEBuilder). Please let me know as I’d love to study the video.

The plan currently is a tutorial series, it’s in the works
Hopefully at least 2 videos up by the end of the week

8 Likes

Can one of those videos show how to add a gender animation to an already existing class?

Example would be adding a female recruit (Amelia). I went and added recruit1 to parts to match it up but when I get to the animation it creates this weird double image during the hit part. I can send a video tomorrow if that’ll help explain my question.

1 Like

I’ll post the video list when I’m off of work

7 Likes

Well the first two videos are uploaded… I just have no idea what to do for a thumbnail. If anyone is interested in making thumbnails, I’d would be forever grateful. Until that point though… you’ll have to deal with my bad ones lol

Second video might not be in HD by the time I upload this, but I have to leave for work

Feedback is helpful; I don’t really know what I’m doing, I just know how to use the engine really well

14 Likes

Nice video, I only watched the first one but it was interesting to see a bit of tactile. I haven’t tried out tactile yet so I was curious.

No real feedback for you other than that the opening ~90 seconds were kind of slow. Still, great vid, the pacing got much better after that.

2 Likes

Now I just need a cat and I can start selling fangames while banking out from the lack of labour laws surrounding felines in the gaming industry.

5 Likes

I have been excitedly awaiting these vids!

Having a problem with compiling the trial version to see if it works. At first I had some issues with but solved them mostly: Built the code (no issues or errors shown there), processed the animations, saved the text editor and then tried to compile the thing but there is the problem.
When I try to compile the window with the loading bar pops up, but then closes itself after a few seconds, no feedback on what the error is, then I read what A_Dancer said about loading the project in Visual Studio, so I did.

The main error is that there is an error loading Data\ConfigData because the file can’t be found. I don’t really know what is missing or where the file is originally supposed to be for that matter, it could be that my antivirus messed with the files but I don’t know. There is also a few other exceptions but it seems the main error is caused by the file bein missing.

Here I leave the log text from Visual Studio. A lot of it is in spanish but I don't believe it will be an issue because I can translate it later

‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain):

Hiding this becuase there weren't any exceptions on this part of the log text

‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\Tabula_rasa.exe’ cargado. Símbolos cargados.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\Tactile.dll’ cargado. Símbolos cargados.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\TactileLibrary.dll’ cargado. Símbolos cargados.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\TactileConfig.dll’ cargado. Símbolos cargados.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\MonoGame.Framework.dll’ cargado. Símbolos cargados.

‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\bin\x86\Debug\OpenTK.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.
Loading “manifest”
Loading “Data/ConfigData”
‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mscorlib.resources\v4.0_4.0.0.0_es_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.resources.dll’ cargado. El módulo se compiló sin símbolos.
Excepción producida: ‘Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException’ en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll
Excepción producida: ‘Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException’ en Tactile.dll
Excepción no controlada del tipo ‘Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException’ en Tactile.dll
Error loading “Data\ConfigData”. File not found.

‘Tabula_rasa.exe’ (CLR v4.0.30319: Tabula_rasa.exe): ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Runtime\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.Desktop.dll’ cargado. Se omitió la carga de símbolos. El módulo está optimizado y la opción del depurador ‘Sólo mi código’ está habilitada.

Excepción no controlada: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading “Data\ConfigData”. File not found. —> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Error loading “Content\Data\ConfigData.xnb”. File not found.

Another bunch of text

en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
— Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna —
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
en ContentManagers.ThreadSafeContentManager.Load[T](String assetName) en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tactile\Source Code\ThreadSafeContentManager.cs:línea 45
en Tactile.Global.load_data_content() en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tactile\Source Code\Static Classes\Global.cs:línea 138
en Tactile.Global.init(Game game, ContentManager content, GameServiceContainer services) en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tactile\Source Code\Static Classes\Global.cs:línea 75
en Tactile.GameLoop.LoadContent(Game game) en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tactile\Source Code\GameLoop.cs:línea 153
en Tabula_rasa.Game1.LoadContent() en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\Source Code\Game1.cs:línea 116
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
en Tabula_rasa.Game1.Initialize() en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\Source Code\Game1.cs:línea 85
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
en Tabula_rasa.Program.RunGame(String[] args) en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\Source Code\Program.cs:línea 138
en Tabula_rasa.Program.Main(String[] args) en C:\Users\makar\Documents\Tactile\Tabula rasa\Tabula_rasa\Tabula_rasa\Source Code\Program.cs:línea 130
El programa ‘[216656] Tabula_rasa.exe’ terminó con código 0 (0x0).

If anyone has had a similar problem with compiling before and solved or any information relevant, please do tell.

Open up the config tab and make a change and then save it?

Same error occurs, changed some caps but it still doesn’t work. It doesn’t show this in the log, but the exact file missing seems to be ConfigData.xnb

wait, xnb?
are you trying to run in release mode or something? it needs to build the project beforehand

It ran on Debug mode in Visual Studio. And if I’m not wrong the project gets built when selecting the “Build code” option in Tactile, right? asuming I’m not wrogn which I probably am.

While waiting for the particular vid on character animation, I was hoping for a brief explanation.

Taking the female recruit as an example. I created the Battler Formatting for “Recruit1” I did this for both Lance and Unarmed. After that, I went to animation editor and created Recruit1-Lance and Recruit1-unarmed and set up the frames for that. After saving and exiting, I don’t see that version under Recruit in the Animation Association. So I guess the big question is how do you create the other gender types for existing classes?

i can cover animations in the next video, sure; both adding new genders/variants to existing ones and adding new ones

1 Like

Thank you! your last 2 vids have been very informative. I’m rooting for Brock!