Some Fire Emblem Battle Sprites I'm working on

Sure, I mean the head is just Myrth’s head colored blue.

Its main attack will be a powerful monster spell cast like a breath attack! (Gonna call the attack Charybdis)

4 Likes

That sounds exciting, I’m looking forward to it! Though, it does sound like it might be incompatible with the other breath animations?

Depends on the Breath animation, Draco Zombies fire from higher than Fire Dragons who fire higher than Myrth.

I’m planning on the spell animation to be a burst of water fired at the ground from mid height and the resulting wave crashing down draling damage.

3 Likes

I like’em both but I like 1# more.

That Sea Serpent has put the idea of having Elemental dragons as late game bosses now, seeing as how Fire Dragons are already a thing in base GBA

…plus idk why but I’m kinda a sucker for the “four elements” trope lol

1 Like

I was planning on trying to recreate Awakening’s Seahorse dragons some time in the future, they definately fit the bill for aquatic dragons too.

2 Likes

I’m pretty interested in the lich and golem, more diversity for monster units is nice, since they’re not a huge focus usually. Good going with your work!

1 Like

Ooh a water like spell would be perfect. I can’t wait to see what it will look like~~!

2 Water spells framed up!

Charybdis

Whirlpool_FE_Spell

Clepsydra

Geyser_FE_Spell

Of course I have to figure out how to make these insert-able, off to tutorial land I go I reckon.

I have 1 more water animation to make and that’s a water beam blasted forwards into the target.

(Sprites for the spells are from the Pokemon Ranger games, there’s tons of cool effect sprites in there!)

40 Likes

Nicely done spells.

http://www.feshrine.net/ultimatetutorial/
Chapter 59, that’s how you format a custom spell animation (Just ignore everything related to FEditor)

You can also make it without resizing it, which makes it look better.

These are absolutely fantastic, wow! * _ *

I might redo all the vanilla GBA Fire Emblem spells with these updated FX Sprites, even basic Fire looks pretty nice with them!

Fire_FE_Spell

Ignore screenshot, I’m just using it for spacing purposes.

19 Likes

This is incredibly clever, those effect sprites were awesome!

Where did you find these updated FX Sprites? Is there more?

https://www.spriters-resource.com/ds_dsi/pokemonranger3guardiansigns/sheet/41335/

The zip file has 256 sprite sheets in it.

Lots of fire animations.

Also a base stage Thunder and Dark magic animation

Spark_FE_Spell Flux_FE_Spell

I wonder how hard a rework of the Anima magic system wouldbe?

Fire, Electric, Earth, Water, Wind magic all 3 stage spells all with their perks and downsides.

Fire would be the well rounded element. Thunder tomes would be lightweight to most likely get more double attacks (fast as lightning!) but have lower strength, Earth would hit really hard but be very heavy, Water would be heavier than Fire but stronger too, but not as strong or as heavy as Earth, and Wind would be effective against flight.

14 Likes

Thanks! I think the the spells could stand to be a bit bigger so they’re more visually striking, like regular FE spells.

I think the biggest problem with this system would be the memory limit of the ROM. Magic spells tend to be quite big.

2 Likes

Because each frame is stored as a full screen frame correct?