[Nightfall] 48-Hour Hack Jam

Three weeks, two days, one keyword.

I’m proposing a contest where participiants make a hack in 48 hours across three weeks or over two days, depends on what personally sounds more fun to them.

THE RULES:

FE8U is used as a base. You may use whichever method for hacking that you prefer, be it FEBuilder, buildfiles, or something more archaic if you really want to.

There is no limitation on the amount of chapters, they only have to be winnable and be fully finished.

This means each chapter must have:

• start and end dialogue
  • boss and death quotes
  • non-placeholder graphics (F2U/E are allowed, vanilla mugs will be counted as placeholders, recolours as well)
  • be set in a map that’s not in FE8 already

(These last two conditions can be ignored if the hack explicitly takes place in Magvel).

The day the jam starts, I will post a keyword (or two) that participiants must base the hack on in any way they see fit. Once the week has ended, all submissions on the thread will be ranked.

SUBMITTING YOUR HACK:

You must post a submission before the deadline in order to be ranked. You can still post a submission afterwards, but it will not be ranked. Submissions that do not comply with the conditions listed above will be dismissed.
You are allowed to collaborate with other hackers, as long as you state it clearly.

START AND DEADLINE:

The jam will start on May 9th 2022, the Monday two weeks from creating this thread, at 12 PM GMT.
The deadline will be May 30th 2022, whenever that day starts in your timezone.

If anything is unclear, please let me know. I would appreciate any and all feedback on this, since this is my first attempt at running a contest like this. ^^

(please note: the next hack jam will be on another thread.)

19 Likes

Interesting concept. The time limit combined with no limit on chapter count will make this get more good submissions than things like MAFC in my opinion

5 Likes

By base the hack on you mean the story right?

2 Likes

I’m keeping it intentionally vague, because I want to see how people interpret keywords. As a theme for the map(s)? Symbolism in the story? It’s up to you, as long as it can be seen.

If you don’t think you executed the keyword well enough you could always leave a spoilered explanation in your submission.

5 Likes

I wont join the contest but I’ll play some of the hacks on there.

1 Like

Can you give us more than a week to enter? Cheaters are going to figure out ways to cheat (eg. having various materials prepared beforehand) regardless, so you might as well get more people involved by having less of a strict time frame to participate.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing that some people will spend longer on the hack than others. I personally hosted as a 1 hour / 2 hour blitz and really didn’t care if people spent longer, but a 2 days or 1 week thing sounds fun, too.

I worry that if you limit the participation timeframe so strictly and if users feel like there are high expectations for the hours put in / requirements to meet, that not as many people will be inclined to participate. I want your jam to be successful, so I would recommend you rethink some of these things. You might find something useful from looking at the community events I’ve hosted - I think the most important aspect is inclusion if you want a good turnout.

Best of luck! I’m rooting for you.

9 Likes

I think to Vesly’s point, it may make more sense to make the “keyword” more descriptive as well so folks aren’t able to do as much prep ahead of time. It really depends on the level of quality you’re looking for and what you’re envisioning as the prompt for this.

Good luck hosting!

9 Likes

You definitely make a good point. Though I’m wondering if two weeks would still be too strict then. Four weeks maybe?

3 Likes

I will cautiously raise the time to work on your submissions from one week to two.
That means the new deadline will be on May 23rd 2022.

2 Likes

Can you believe it guys? Hack Jam, just a week away. Hack Jam is in a week! Woohoo! I am so happy about this information. Hack Jam! Just a week away, oh wow. Can you believe it? Hack Jam! Just in a week! It got here so fast! Hack Jam! Just a week away!

11 Likes

As Sme has pointed out the Hack Jam is just a week away!

I beelieve it’s time for an FAQ before we start:

Q: Do I need to make a new title screen/menu?
A: Most hackers can’t even do that in more than two weeks, so no. The only things that need to be changed are portraits, since they are undeniably tied to the characters of FE8.

Q: Can I use FE7 as a base?
A: Sure! Your submission will fall out of the ranking, though.

Q: Do I win anything if my submission ranks highly?
A: Shout-outs. I don’t want anyone to feel too bad about losing, or left out of something. This is a challenge before it is a contest.

Q: You can’t check if people work on their submission for more than 48 hours, can you?
A: Nope! If you don’t follow the rules you would be making me very sad. Just follow the rules, there aren’t that many.

Q: Can I set up my work environment beforehand? (i.e. installing Builder patches, setting up Buildfiles)
A: Yep! I encourage you to do that, so you can spend more time on the hacking.

I think that should be it for now. PM me for any additional questions.

4 Likes

Reminder: the Hack Jam will begin 25 hours from the making of this post.

If you haven’t done this yet, I strongly encourage you to get all the resources you think you might need and set up a ROM in Builder or your Buildfiles.

Remember, coming up with ideas and making a lil’ design doc won’t bee counted towards your time, only the part where you’re implementing your ideas.

And you don’t have to work those 48 hours over two days. You can spread them out if you think you’re not up to the task.

Get a friend or two to help you as well! It’s always more fun to work with a team, especially with rather tight time frames. Really gets yer brain moving.

That’s all for now! I’m going to reveal the keyword tomorrow.

See ya soon, everyone!

3 Likes

The time to work on your submission has now been raised to three weeks, making the new deadline May 30th 2022.

Two weeks seems a bit tense in hindsight, doesn’t it?

1 Like

I feel this kind of defeats the purpose: 48 hours of development time is a lot more lenient than 48 hours of real time. Limiting yourself to 48 hours of real time would be a disadvantage if some hackers spread 48 hours across three weeks: two hours of hacking every day for three weeks isn’t really all that much of a jam. Of course, it’s all a matter of honour at the end of the day, but I had imagined cramming as much effort as possible into two days of work, with the inevitable eating and sleeping that would be required.

I also am a bit concerned about these rolling deadline extensions before the event even starts; I’d prefer it a little tense for fear I’d completely forget. This is more of a pet peeve from me, though.

Because of the large variety in timezones and the fact that coordinating a single 48-hour period that works reasonably well for everyone is almost impossible and considering that expecting people to be able to dedicate the entirety of a 48-hour period to The Hack or be at a disadvantage is quite unreasonable, 48 hours of dev time over a longer period makes sense as a way to do it; I probably wouldn’t have it longer than a week, but the rules here are what they are
At the end of the day, tracking dev time precisely is not a particularly easy thing to do so it’s very likely that people will go over 48 hours without realizing in a setup like this; it’s all for fun, so I don’t really see why it would be a problem really, and you could still elect to do your 48 hours consecutively if you wanted to
So long as the deadline doesn’t extend after it starts then it should be fine

2 Likes

The Keyword is: Nightfall!

As said before, what you do with this knowledge is up to you, as long as you do something with it.

I wish everyone who wants to participate good luck! ^^

2 Likes

Chiasa…

5 Likes

haha kitozawa go nothing personnel kid

1 Like

hack jam hack jam hack jam

_HackJam_001

3 chapters

Download

still a bit over a week left if anyone else hasn’t started and wants to participate!!!

8 Likes

ArchOfCoups_02

EVENING TRAIN CRASH

Mario wanted to go on a railway journey from the city of Cork across all of Ireland to the city of Derry. However, somebody diverted the train onto the Ballybrophy line, the shakiest line on the network, and crashed it! How is Mario going to get to safety before nightfall? Other important people are here too. Perhaps Mario wasn’t the actual target. Someone else was. But who?

Join Mario Mario, Sigurd of Chalphy, Cecil Harvey, and Yugi Muto in a dangerous, ballista-filled adventure.

Download

Get Evening Train Crash today!

Credits are in the readme. I am not responsible for any trains that may crash during the playing of this game.

4 Likes