Necrosis Among the Living

Hey found another odd thing. Some random Imperial joined me.

Oh yeah, they keep cropping up even though I keep deleting them. They’re just cutscene units. You can ignore them, or you can use them if you want, I guess. lol

Which chapter did they show up in the Prep screen for?

Chapter 22

I finally finished, and I have to say :sob:.

But seriously, are you wanting to be a writer? This was brilliantly written, the world was well thought out and the travel made sense. Most hacks and hell mainline Fire Emblems having you running to and fro for no reason. You stuck to the main story and it shows. The game holds focus and you capitalize with actual moments of drama. Yeah I was deeply saddened by the story, but there is nothing wrong with a well written sad story. I am really blown away by the entire stories presentation. I would say more, but people have to experience the story first hand.

At first the features seem low, no global range, no growth display, and no skills. But then you get into the game and realize that the map design is ages beyond what so many others are doing. Artillery fire, hidden enemies, skeleton fun, and so many unique things. The classes are also unique and interesting, classes I’ve never seen used before. You also have more unique items and weapons then I could even get around to using in one playthrough.

The bugs persisted through till the end, but I was able to get by them using alternate emulators. I found the special weapons to be the issue, Fire and Ice bows and all the 1-2 range swords (minus the mage ones and the Kunai). All the other bugs are minor in nature, and not of much concern.

Overall this is one of if not my favorite Fire Emblem hack thus far, and I have played a lot.

1 Like

Thank you for enjoying the hack and bearing with the bugs! Glad you felt approving of the narrative. While this is my first Fire Emblem project, it isn’t my first game project. And I’ve written a novel and a few short stories. I’m certainly not famous or even “professional,” but I think I’ve ascended passed amateur/beginner. So, if the narrative work isn’t a standout of this project, that would be a problem!

If you feel there are slight gaps in certain character narratives, I’d recommend trying to read through Support chains you missed - this can be done by opening the ROM in FEBuilder (PM me if you need assistance doing so). I wanted to remove the limit of having only one A Support on a character, as a lot of the Support chains complement both other chains and the overarching narrative in pretty major ways. (edit: Actually, I have an idea for letting players view Supports they didn’t get on their playthrough, without using FEBuilder. It should take a day or two to prepare.)

Regarding user experience and basic gameplay, I did want to stay fairly grounded to the vanilla FEGBA games. I’ve considered having a second version that at least has the expanded minimug and health bars (and any other popular QoL feature that people want), but so far, there haven’t been complaints about those features’ absence. Though, I suppose if the lack of those features is a major factor that influenced some folks to not play the hack, I wouldn’t know it unless I was told.

The work put into the free-to-use library is pretty amazing. Animating is pretty time consuming and requires proficient artistic ability; we’re lucky to have so many capable people in this community. A non-trolling credits list can be found below the 7743 section, which should have the artist-given names of any custom classes and spells in the hack.

The 1-2 range sword issue is consistent with what people are reporting. I wonder if simply changing the ranged damage type for those swords to melee would fix it. As it seems the problem has something to do with weapons that can access both melee and magic capability. It’s odd that experiences differ so much per emulator, but at least it’s a semi-reliable way to get around the issues. I used regular/original VBA (which is supposed to be the worst emulator) while developing, and everything worked there without freezing/crashing. /shrug

Yes we have been incredibly lucky as a community to have so many talented people putting in their time and effort for us. Yourself among them, it is appreciated more than I could say. It is basically an endless stream of games from my favorite series. I have played the majority of them, and I love them all.

The features are nice, but I do enjoy games without them. It was honestly refreshing to not have to worry about skills and just enjoy the narrative.

I got a good chunk of the support conversations, I feel like all the characters stories were fairly complete.

1 Like

welp, what I was thinking when started playing this hack

OMG a hack that doesn’t have skill system
yeah nearly every hack have them, so the hack doesn’t have them are pretty rare
let alone a completed one

and at least we don’t have to suffer inflated stats or bad plots

1 Like

Oh-ho, interesting, interesting… hmm… certainly has quite a bit of effort put into it.
Should be fun…! (I hope).

1 Like

My Review of Atrocity of Love: (Click here for the Review)

3 Likes

I ran into the Ch 12 blackscreen of death too… Good thing it only took me like 10 minutes to realize I was playing an outdated version, download the current release, and resume playing without losing any data. Thanks for making this hack! I’m having a great time!

1 Like

Is there a spreadsheet/text page detailing the promotion branches for each class? There’s quite a few new/imported classes in this game, but having looked at the class data in FEBuilder I’m not sure if all of them are playable.

EDIT: Probably should’ve rephrased what I meant by playable classes; this being a hack of Sacred Stones I know not all classes will be playable (like the monster classes). I was specifically referring to new promoted classes like the Grand Paladin and Mage Warrior. I just promoted Anni, and she went straight to the Sage class. She’ll be a great sage, but I thought she would’ve had an option to choose something like Mage Knight or Mage Warrior.

There is not. I could make one, but since you have savvy with FEBuilder, you can pretty easily view it. On the “Advanced Editors” menu of FEBuilder, look at the second column from the right - the third option should be “Promotion Branches”. This is where you can see which classes units will promote into.

Oh cool, thanks for the info! I’ll check that out right away!

1 Like

I might’ve missed something obvious regarding the game’s soundtrack under the general notes about the hack, but is the player-phase ost each map supposed to overwrite the standard combat music (I.E attacking, defending, boss themes)? Every map I’ve played so far, I haven’t heard anything other than the player-phase music, even during combat and when fighting bosses.

For the vast majority of chapters (every chapter after 1, sans 4, 17, and 24… and the finale), there is supposed to be a player phase track and enemy phase track; you should be hearing two different tracks per chapter. You’re saying you’re only hearing the player phase track?

The intended setup is: player phase music plays over the entire player phase, whether you’re moving the cursor, attacking grunts, or attacking bosses. Conversely, enemy phase music plays over the entire enemy phase.

Two reasons for this:

• I feel the frequent disruption of music is haphazard and the same musical cues get boring after a while (you may reply, “But hearing the same track over and over again is boring too!” - yep, which is why music changes basically every chapter).
  • And secondly, since the music in this hack is curated from other media, they mostly weren’t designed/written to be changed every ~30 second or so in the way FE does it. I feel they flow better as complete tracks.

Whoops, I misspoke. No, I have both the player phase and the enemy phase music- I was posting this late at night and just overlooked the obvious. The main reason I had for posting the question was just to verify that the whole 2 tracks per map was a feature and not a bug. It’s a pretty cool feature; it definitely is a little janky to go from map theme to combat them and then back again in all of the basic FE games… especially if some of them are at completely different tones.

1 Like

so everytime i attempt to use a custom weapon/spell, my game freezes…

Are you using the newest version? I thought I addressed this one, but it’s possible there are still triggers for it.

Can you send me your .sav please? Either through PM or post it in the thread here via Dropbox (or similar).

I also recommend trying on another emulator while I investigate your .sav, if possible.

1 Like

Uhh… I just read something I am sure I wasn’t supposed to in chapter 1, I have spoiled myself accidentally before but never by playing the own game.

Hearing hero in the back was nice tho

Fortunately, nothing too major is in that conversation. It alludes to the ending in a logistical sense, but there are still big story beats you aren’t aware of.

No idea what is being triggered to get this convo, but I’ve tracked the event and deleted the conversation, so it’s just an empty event now. I’ve uploaded a new version with this correction, though I imagine you’re past it, so your current version should be fine.