N426's Mediocre Sprite Works and General Bad Ideas

So, I’m curious. The moving map sprites, is there a reason these four look so different from the others? Is this unintended, unfinished, something else?

https://i.imgur.com/PLKSEIJ.png

2 Likes

I think those are the frames used when the class moves up, or a view of it’s back, with it’s backpack taking up alot of the sprite

Hm… you’re probably right. The map sprites also don’t include left/right moving frames tho. Oversight, maybe?

They do. The first four frames are left/right moving frames. Don’t blame you for thinking they look like down frames since they look very similar.

Jay and Flasu have it right, the upward moving frames are pretty much just the backpack, and the left/right frames are indeed very similar to down. Blame it on IS since this was based on the FE7 Zephiel sprite.

But for everyone’s troubles’ here, I’ve made some better versions to clear up any confusion (and fixed the shadows):
Merchant Move better Merchant Move Lance better

5 Likes

Awesome! I’ll add those to the repo as V2’s!

4 Likes

Haven’t posted here in a while, but thought I’d leave this here; in keeping theme with a few other bits in my first post, and given that today is the fourth anniversary of my favorite game of all time- NieR:Automata.

I actually made this towards the end of 2019, and is the only set of things where every pixel is 100% custom. I guess except for the class card frame… The animation palette has plenty of space for more colors, but right now all you can really get is the default, or golden if you want the courageous brother, hateful sister, or vengeful child (just be sure to give them 1000000 hp too). The mug uses the mouth frames to make the eyes glow differently, since small stubbys don’t have mouths. I guess it served as practice for sphere and cylinder shading.

Will anyone ever use any of this? Will Frozen Throes? Probably not. Oh well, enjoy, maybe.

The Small Stubby:
Stubby gif

stubbymug stubby2
stubby map stubby move2

~Edit~ Made a mug for another character today: Friedrich. He even brought with him a bucket to catch all your tears of oil!
friedrich

29 Likes

Obligatory monthly post. Frozen Throes has a newish update (v.1614387600). Give it a shot if you need something to help procrastinating doing something else, and tell me what’s wrong with it. There’s also a discord too if you’re into that sort of thing.
Optional Title

That’s enough of one great big bad idea, so here’s some mediocre sprites in the form of a bad idea itself. Here are a couple pixel amalgamations for some class cards I’ve made of varying lack of quality. Some of these go back to my initial foray into spriting mediocrity in late 2019, and some are from my continued foray into such mediocrity this year. I think these all also have map sprites, and a few even will come with custom animations. Problem is, you need to decipher them from the image below. If anyone does, I’ll be slightly encouraged to finish the animation if applicable and post the rest of the bits and pieces. Have at it:
silhouette puzzle

7 Likes

I’m getting a general “sea creatures” read on these? :eyes:

2 Likes

Good eye! 3.5 are sea faring creatures, 2.5 are terrestrial, and 2 are fliers

Merry magical monotreme rabbit day. To celebrate such an occasion that makes just as much sense, here’s my sea creatures/aquatic/amphibious class asset dump. Some of these go back to my early foray here back at the end of 2019. Rather than wait several more years for them to debut in Frozen Throes, I’ll just unleash them all here so they can go unnoticed for even longer.

Basilisk:
This was a real early one, pretty much just a splice of the gorgon and draco zombie class cards proportioned a bit more to suit a giant snake/sea serpent. It was largely a spur of the moment idea while making the next class.
Basilisk2

Mermaid:
Zora had already made assets for a mermaid class, but I wanted to try myself. That said, my map sprites are based on his, but a little more detailed and made to appear as though the sprite is in water. The class card was also based on the gorgon, and the Ghast’s villager. I’m really happy with how the scales turned out.
Mermaid2 mermaid idle gif mermaid move gif
mermaid idle edit mermaid move edit

Shark:
You may have already seen this in Frozen Throes, but here it is for all to probably not use. Before the small stubby, this was previously the only thing I’ve made where every pixel was placed by me. I’m still really happy with how the class card turned out. Could also be cool to call the class “karcharías” to fit FE8’s monsters’ greek themes.
Shark Transparent shark idle gif shark move gif
shark map2 shark move2

Shark rider:
Remember the spriting contest from last year with the “seafarer” theme. Yep. Finally got around to finishing what I started there, it’s a pirate riding a shark. I borrowed some fun parts from Gamma for the female class card, but everything else was a product of my boredom, including the clunky animations. The trident crit also has a nifty light flash when the bolt hits that didn’t get exported I think since it’s a command in the script.
Shark Pirate pirate shark idle gif pirate shark move gif
Shark Pirate F pirate shark idle f gif pirate shark move f gif
pirate shark idle pirate shark move pirate shark idle F pirate shark move F

axetrident

Oh and here’s the lovable fleet unit, but with some treads salvaged from an advance wars tank for good measure, because amphibious.
boat tank idle gif boat tank move gif
boat tank idle boat tank move

That’s it for now, go enjoy some eggs. Any suggestions for my next mediocre asset dump?

44 Likes

you go make the Basilisk animations?

2 Likes

Landboat hype! LANDBOAT HYPE!!

Who’s ready to sad?

15 Likes

this man has gazed into the abyss
and the abyss gazed back

2 Likes

My first 3 fully custom portraits, hopefully you can tell who they’re supposed to be.
Nier mugs

And a host of useless items icons:
Lunar tear, Emil’s head, King of Facade’s mask, Weiss, Noir, Rubrum
Iron pipe, Beastlord, Kainé’s sword, Kainé’s swords, Emil’s staff, Devola & Popola’s staff
Virtuous contract, Virtuous treaty, Black box, Pod 042, Pod 153, Zero’s blade
nier weapon icons

nier weapon icons

Can you guess what I’ve been doing lately? Probably should have spoilered one of those… Maybe… I’m not crying, you’re crying

9 Likes

Wow it’s the Moon guy from Majora’s Mask!

2 Likes

I put part of Serra’s hair on Fiora, one thing led to another, and I ended up with Four from Drakengard 3; my first half body sprite. Aside from some of the hair and face, everything else is fully custom. (2x scale)

Thought I’d end up (if ever) starting my foray into half bodies with Auri or Nikolai from FT for promotional reasons, or 2B or Kainé for the internet points, but Four happily happened instead. How’d I do?

15 Likes

Hi N426,

Did the updated Stronghold tileset with the additions in the maps in this thread from after the last post in the Stronghold Tileset thread ever get posted? (Or at least any of the alternate palette versions (since I see you changed the “piles of gold” tiles to be diagonal lava in the “To the End of a Dream” map)?) I’m not seeing them in here, in the Stronghold thread, or in the Stronghold dropbox link.

Zero from Drakengard 3

What started out as a (not so) simple portrait quickly spiraled out of control and turned into my first full body sprite. I think there’s some proportional issue in there somewhere between her head and body, but please distract yourself from that with 6 shades in her hair, or the intricate filigree in the dress(?) and blade. Hence 2x scale. It may look like a mess, but compared to the actual design I’m very happy with how all those tiny details turned out.

Now should I sprite the rest of the Intoners, or actually work on my hack next…

Also, anyone inquisitive of the Stronghold tileset update (with animations) per LordGlenn’s (thanks for the reminder) previous comment can find that here: Updated Stronghold Tileset - #9 by N426

12 Likes