Most obnoxious FE mechanic

Wut? You like Echoes more than Fateswakening?

I found echoes to be way too simplistic for my tastes. To each their own, I guess.

I do understand the complaints about skill bloat, but at least in the 3ds games it’s only a matter of glancing at or tapping the icon on the bottom screen. With skillsys on the gba it can be a lot worse. For anyone designing a hack - there’s nothing wrong with very simple skills, like giving Knights Def + 2, as long as it shows up on their def stat on MMB / stat screen.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. I find that AwakeFates suffer primarily from stat stacking, which just let you invalidate most of the games and removes a lot of interesting resource management decisions you’d otherwise have to make. Meanwhile Echoes is much simpler mechanically and has a lower power level, and puts a much larger focus on tight management of both experience and money. I find Echoes to be much more engaging overall than the other two 3DS games.

7 Likes

I think Fateswakening is better even though I prefer single roll RNG. Teambuilding in those games is honestly a lot of fun, but Fates is superior because of the My Castle metagame.

Echoes has a problem with mechanics that are kinda dumb (i.e. combining health meter with what would be a magic meter in other game making defensive mageplay not work, and combat arts getting bland after awhile. Idk, it kinda loses its charm after the 40th Scendscale.) Also, Gaiden is better because map towns > playing I-Spy. I-Spy is an obnoxious mechanic lol.

Er, Echoes doesn’t have 1RN. Fates and Echoes use this super weird hybrid system where it’s 1RN below 50 hit, and some crazy trigonometry function above 2RN. Awakening just uses 2RN.

Less points for Echoes if that’s true.

1 Like

This post gives a full explanation of the RN system in Fates and Echoes, for the record. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/ae5666/echoes_absolutely_uses_fates_rn_bonus_explanation/

I already looked it up and did my research before to your statement, but thank you for updating my knowledge from years back. I never touched Echoes again after I beat it when it came out lol. Fun game, but minimal replayability.

Haha, man you should see all the crazy meta developments me and some other people have been doing lately. Lots of replay value there in trying out stuff like early promoted Boey!

1 Like

We’re here to talk about Fire Emblem Bad, not Fire Emblem Good. But thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Oh right I never actually did a response to the main question of this thread. Hm… Well, since Echoes is the topic, I’ll go with the world map reinforcements. They don’t actually mean a whole lot most of the time, but Grieth and Desaix just spawn the absolute worst enemies. All the other map reinforcements are pretty fine though, generally small squads that can easily be fought on top of existing maps with barely any changes.

Meanwhile i think FE should go all in on skills. It’s one of the reasons why i think Conquest has by far and wide the best gameplay in the series, and why i am enjoying Berwick saga atm, as the focus on skills is much higher than on just pure stats.

But hey, as i always say:
‘‘Every FE is kinda different and has it’s fans and it’s fine that way. We don’t want to be pokemon, after all!’’

1 Like

See, I think the inherent mechanics of Fates completely undermine that in CQ, because you can stack stats so high that skills are largely irrelevant. Meanwhile Berwick is just super weird and different about a lot of stuff that I find it hard to really compare.

it’s fun tho

Stacking stats never seemed to work with me on Conquest, and i always had to play around the skills, ngl. Enemies with stuff like Poison strike and reposition skills don’t care about your stats, no matter how high they are, and then all they need is 1 enemy to kill your unit.

I also always used Attack stance more than defence stance, because i got destroyed everytime i played defensively, especially on Lunatic.

Or maybe i am just bad idk

Also overcoming stuff with stat stacking isn’t different in any other FE, and usually much much easier to do than in conquest.

Stuff like inevitable End is dumb though.

says you :yum:

1 Like

i love volcano badge its my second most favorite hack behind ostian princess

My pick would probably be preps during Thracia fog in FE5.

I’m not a huge fan of Thracia fog or fog in general, but the fact that I can’t see any part of the map whatsoever while I’m choosing which units and items to bring to a chapter was beyond obnoxious when I played FE5 blind. Is the map indoors, outdoors? Do I need to bring lockpicks? Is it a map where I could afford to not bring one of my better units to alleviate their fatigue?

I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that FE5 has next to no dialogue before these maps as well. Now, I do realize I can just start the chapter to get a bit of a look at the map and just restart, trivializing any “difficulty” this may induce. So it doesn’t necessarily mean a ton in the long-run, but the fact that I have to do this to be informed about the map at all is quite annoying. Let me actually prep during preps, IS

So basically FE5 is your pick. Interessting choice.

Not what I said, whatsoever. I didn’t even say Thracia Fog in general. I said preps in Thracia Fog.

1 Like

Fog of War. In general. Do not like that mechanic.

2 Likes