Most obnoxious FE mechanic

No no, this is correct.

Big fan of Thracia, but this always bothered me. It’s not fun going into a map with zero context whatsoever.

Weapon weight in games where there is no CON stat.

Either it makes weapons unavoidably slows you down, making the heavier weapons like axes straight-up useless and the lightest ones instant S-tier, or they are mitigated by STR, making strength even more important than it already is.

I also really dislike when hacks change radically bows, as in “More accurate than swords, stronger than axes AND can fight at 1-range too” style of approach. I mean, vanilla FEGBA’s bows are weak and could use buffs, but that doesn’t mean buffing it to the stratosphere and invalidate the whole weapon triangle will make a hack better…

2 Likes

everything and anything from FE5 that isn’t the capture mechanic

the fog, the fatigue, the movement stars, the leadership stars, the hit rates capping at 99 and flooring at 1, all staves including torch missing, escape chapters, the accost skill…

4 Likes

I have not played FE5 because I gathered that the mechanics were horseshit. Thanks for validating my assumptions.

1 Like

Ambush spawns,snow,rain,fog and receiving an unit in all point superior to one I trained of the same/similar class.

Looking at you royal laguses

1 Like

I think Thracia was designed to be a game where you had to have some insight in it beforehand. The original release came with a video guide that taught you about how certain mechanics work.

Basically, it’s going to be a really brutal time if you play it blind. Those people that have played and beaten it before however tend to really enjoy it. There’s a lot of complexity to the game and many ways to cheese chapters if you’re clever enough (i.e. warp staff to kill Reinhardt in one turn).

I don’t know if these count as mechanics, but here we go regardless:

• Overly nerfed Javelins and Hand Axes

I get that Javelins and Hand Axes need some kind of nerfs, but when you reduce their mt and hit, as well as double their weight, that’s a death sentence. Javelin that is as weak as the Slim Lance, weights as much as a Brave Axe and has the accuracy of Fe6 Hammer is useless 98% of the time. Even if you managed to land a hit with that thing, you’d better make sure the Javelin is not equipped for Enemy Phase. Otherwise anyone not a knight/general will get doubled and die. For what it’s worth, this approach also has the downside of making Javelin wielding enemies a complete joke.

• Thieves that spawn in the same room where the treasure is and their escape tile is also in the same room

I’m not arguing against anti-turtling incentives. What I take issue with is how it’s implemented. Chests give the player an idea that a thief might come and steal the treasure. However, there is no way (without prior knowledge) to know when exactly the thief appears - is it turn 2 or turn 7? There is no other choice but to play the map, and once the thief appears you need to evaluate if going after the thief is feasible given the situation you’re in.

Compare this to, for example, a situation where the thief spawns further away from the treasure but much earlier (or even immediately). You can see how many turns the thief needs in order to reach the chests and to escape (if the escape tile is marked) - this in turn determines how much or little time you have for stopping the thief. This bit of crucial information - which the player needs for making informed decisions and plans - is obfuscated by having thieves suddenly spawn right next to the chests.

• Proc skills on bosses

Do I need to say more?

4 Likes

Yes, do say more plox.

Missing with staves. It doesn’t happen often, but that only makes it hurt more when you try to heal someone and suddenly nothing happens.

Thanks, Thracia.

It did? I don’t think I’ve heard of that before.

Doubt it talks about how door keys are super important to collect though.

Okay actually I think I have another, and it’s not being able to reposition your units from the prep screen.

Chapters before you get the prep screen are generally fine since for the most part they tend to position your team fairly sensibly, if not exactly how you’d choose to do it yourself, but after you get it? Positioning units automatically based purely on what number they are in your roster just results in your starting formation being a complete mess most of the time. It’s absolutely something you can regain your figurative balance from pretty quickly, but it’s still obnoxious.

1 Like

All of the people who mentioned thracia really forgot to mention the followup crit multiplier.

“Oh hey that’s Shiva! Let’s recruit him! I’ll place Machya here so she can tank one-- crits—aaaand Shiva’s dead. Great.”

“Okay, I’m just gonna have mareeta weaken this boss so that I can capt-- crits– what the fuck!?”

“I want Amalda in my army, so I should probably leave one unit with high speed to choke this po–crits ahh goddammit!”

PCC isn’t really bad
the problem is that it is hidden. Like many other things in Thracia

Most music from the games tbh, fe4 fe5 fe10 fe11/12 and fe15 are the only ones that have cponsitantly good music(yes i am taking fe1 and 2 into account those soundtracks sound like tinittus)

Also is it just me who likes thracia mechanics?

I will fight you on this, Gaiden has some sick tracks and I won’t let you diss them.

IMO, I found the stat drops in Fates really obnoxious. I can handle the lack of doubling, the decrease of avoidance, lack of crits, and all those other drawbacks. But stat drops? Hell no. I cannot stand them. And don’t get me started on Daggers/Shurikens, those can go to hell.

Gaiden. Duma. Battle. Theme.
Fe1. Medeus. Battle. Theme.
Fe1. House/shop. Theme
I could go on

arguably FCM is something I really like in Thracia, it makes combat more exciting with stat caps being much lower. It also leads to some units having incredibly good viability, like this guy: https://fireemblemwiki.org/w/images/thumb/5/52/FEH_Osian_Scolded_Soldier_01.png/200px-FEH_Osian_Scolded_Soldier_01.png

1 Like

I sensed someone dissing FE2 music
where is the heretic

4 Likes

I love PCC as well. I just wish it wasn’t hidden.

Then again ‘‘i just wish it wasn’t hidden’’ would solve 99% of my problems with Thracia