Most obnoxious FE mechanic

I actually think fates did it pretty well. I hate dealing with weapons that drop your attack speed, especially in the gba games. Having weapons that cannot follow up attack is perfect. I think things like Javelins and Handaxes should’ve always had this property. That way they are good only for chip damage but not Seth on enemy phase.

I think the self-inflicted debuffs were a little bit too much. They should’ve capped at say, -6 in a stat so that holding a powerful weapon on enemy phase doesn’t cripple your unit forever.

3 Likes

Javelins, Handaxes and the like always needed a big nerf.

How Fates did is one way to do it, and one i liked.

3H did it by making them have very low weapon MT, something i also approve of.

Berwick saga did by making them unable to counter attack 0 range attacks, and fast units able to counter them from range (11+ AS). Also a possible way.

The way GBA games did them was in no way balanced and they were way too strong.

1 Like

Picking a card when you forge with a coin in RD. The result is set in stone, save stating does nothing. Complete illusion of choice/chance.

Marriage systems

7 Likes

i love awkwardzombie

2 Likes

Ambush spawns
Non-aesthetic weather
Proc skills

but the one i’ll be talking about is fog.
Fog relies on hiding info from the player, which feels unfair, especially if you pull a pandan (no offense sorry bro) and love your fog fliers. People defend fog by saying “use torches” but i’d still rather not have the fog be there at all.

1 Like

the only thing that puts me off continuing berwick is the sheer amount of rng. iirc theres a miniboss in 1-M with a shield that basically makes him unkillable until it breaks and that was very annoying.
https://youtu.be/ovpzKsgs_r8 got to listen to this during it tho so worth
also in general the earlygame hitrates suuuuuuuuuuuck, i think the highest one ive seen is 81 from daddy deans FAT axe skill.

1 Like

berwick should have had sylpheed

Huh. I don’t remember any boss like that and i am at ch8 atm. Any shield boss can die pretty easily by rapier or Magic.

Here’s the thing, you have to use skills like Supporter, Commander, Aim and Desperation. Early game i usually had Hit ~80 and very rarely below that.

The only problem i have with the hitrates is that the game uses 1RN, and missing a 99 and a high durability weapon getting destroyed right after was a legit bruh moment that had me resetting lol (for the weapon more than anything). But as i said, 1RN aside, the game has too many rng factors in an otherwise very fun game, but it gives you the ability to migitate the low hitrates that might seem scary and annoying at first

that hurt to read

I don’t really like the offensive status staves like Berserk and Sleep. To me, it’s fine if only like 1 enemy has a staff, and it has a small range, but sometimes FE (like fe6) just go bonkers sometimes and it’s really annoying. If I don’t have a unit with restore nearby, I just have a useless unit or a super dangerous berserker unit.

but you get the most important stat! it’s con

the best part is that even 12 con lowen cant use gba steel axes properly

I think the problem is less the status effects themselves and more how the games make it hard to get and use status curing stuff.

Making Restore ranged and giving the player access to it goes a long way in making offensive status effects not horrible

Fog wouldn’t be that bad if the Ai had the same limit as the player (Can’t target you or know where you are unless they have sight on you).

Berwick Saga does that.

Being able to marry the dragon girl in your head is probably one of the most obnoxious I can think of.

14 Likes

adult tiki is 100% legal (the one in my head is idunn). the rest are probably a discussion on their own.

1 Like

This one is only really the case in Awakening, Fates, Three Houses, A Chunk of Romhacks, and possibly Echoes although I have not played it.

And that’s having a massive clutter of a skills fest. Weather it be pointless to remember yet causes issues for tactical gameplay calculations, not to mention the more you include and the more that a unit can get, the less memorable individual ones are on classes, not to mention having niche skills designed for certain classes that also are not attached to them.

I’m getting a little worked up, but its probably the primary reason I don’t play those. As Fire Emblem is a game with simple mechanics, well designed gameplay and consistent calculations. Which gets thrown out the window the more weird skills you throw in. As Fire Emblem is not a game about researching micro upgrades.

4 Likes

Not sure if this counts necessarily, but playing through Gaiden, I find myself… very glad the whole “only one inventory slot” thing ended up confined to just that game and its remake. I think part of why I favor magic-users as much as I do in Gaiden and Echoes is that they actually have multiple options as to what they can do and how they can attack, something the game’s inventory system denies its purely-physical units.

Probably more than the aforementioned, basically any map with terrain that makes you spend most of your time pathetically inching forward with very few other options as to how to approach it. Celica’s side of Fire Emblem Gaiden / SoV is particularly egregious about this, and that’s one of my biggest complaints about it.

You know, that sort of Awakening meta discussion was always weird to me. Getting Galeforce requires a LOT of grinding. And at that point, your stats are probably so bonkers, you can probably just facetank everything on enemy phase and not even need Galeforce.

Echoes definitely does NOT have skill bloat like those other games. It’s a vastly more simple game, and all the better for it.

3 Likes