Link Arena with all GBA Games

Link Arena with all GBA Units

Introduction

This is a small patch I created after seeing Mekkah’s Link Arena video which places units and items from fe6 and fe7 into fe8 so they can all be used in a single Link Arena match. Because there can only be 50 player units in a barracks at any time, units will need to be selected manually before going to Link Arena mode.

Features

• Individually summon units to create a custom Link Arena team
  • 3 modes – base stats, 20/20 averages, and capped stats
  • Trade items and stat boosters to units freely
  • Use Legendary weapons from fe6 and fe7

Gallery

Download

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1naKy99ilsx8UR2vGFePcfYmJU1UFPRv_?usp=sharing

This link takes you to the ups patch, whose base game is FE8U. There are two folders containing patches by different authors. Tristan’s version is the base game, which has a choice between a regular version, a ‘no skills’ version that removes pavise and the other fe8 skills excluding Silencer, and an ‘fe6 edition’ that has fe6 items and some mechanics like 30 crit swordmasters. The_Big_Dededester’s version is an expansion that adds new units and other features. You can check out a more detailed description at this page below.

Super Link Arena Alpha Deluxe Turbo & Knuckles (New Funky Mode) - Projects - Fire Emblem Universe (feuniverse.us)

Version History
v 1.33 (regular version only)

• Fixed a bug in the regular version that reverted all the changes in v1.31

v 1.32

• Fixed Athos’s animation, although the cape whoosh is excluded
  • Nomads and Nomad troopers are no longer susceptible to cavalry effective weapons
  • S-rank weapons can now be used at A-rank
  • fe6 edition - swordmaster and similar classes crit bonus is now 30
  • fe6 edition - S rank weapon hit and crit bonuses are removed

v 1.31

• Fixed Palettes
  • Fixed a bug where Melady failed to promote properly
  • Adjusted Con for fe6/fe7 male heros to take into the +1 con fe8 male heros have. As a result,
    fe6/fe7 mercenaries will have 1 less con than usual, which is fixed on promotion
  • Added a special fe6 edition branch. At this time, I do not plan on updating this branch alongside the others. The fe6 edition patch features promotions for the fe6 thieves and uses fe6 versions of weapons. Get your 45 hit hammers and 6 weight nosferatus ready. Shine, Wind Sword, and Dragonspear are replaced by Aircalibur, Al’s sword, and Gant’s lance respectively.

v 1.3

• Split the patch into the regular and NO SKILLS version
  • Added descriptions to fe6 and fe7 characters
  • Expanded the items sold at armories and vendors
  • Fixed closed-eye portraits

v 1.23

• Fixed a bug that made the tutorial-repeat house run the wrong event

v 1.22

• Fixed the vendor inventory to include secret books
  • Added stat boosters to the preparation armory

v 1.21

• All units have 15 move
  • The preparation screen for chapter 1 is unlocked to allow easier trading

v 1.2

• Creature campaign units have arrived
  • Stat reducing villages have been added
  • The class change house has been added for fe8 units
  • The center and right thrones no longer end the chapter - the left throne ends the chapter and does nothing else.
  • Bug - Map sprites glitch out when using the center throne, right throne, or class change house

v 1.1

• Fixed crash on mGBA
  • Added axe paladin animations

Known Bugs

• Spell sound effects for some fe6 and fe7 spells are incorrect
  • Map sprites glitch out when using the center throne, right throne, or class change house

External Resources

This Google Sheet is very important to look at as it shows the map of which units are summoned from which houses.

Credits

Credit to ShyuterZ for fe6 and fe7 spell animations.

Conclusion

If you find any unknown bugs or average stat errors, please let me know in the comments section. If you have suggestions feel free to post them as well but depending on the scale no guarantees. I hope you enjoy Link Arena-ing with a wide variety of units!

19 Likes

First of all, great hack. some words
I don’t think Mekkah checks feu often, not that I know him personally, but you should @ him on twitter. I assume you made this in hopes he would play it?

1 Like

This is actually pretty cool!

Put some respect on my boy Geese’s name though.

2 Likes

I’ve @ed him on twitter, unfortunately I never use my twitter account so he might not think I have credence. I’ve also posted in his discord server, so hopefully he sees it at some point.

1 Like

Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well

Hey man, just checked out this and I gotta say, good job! Even if I don’t know how to do the link arena with other people on an emulator (let alone have people to play it with), the practice mode worked perfectly for me. I did not understand what to do after I seized the throne but then I went to extras and saw link arena was available. I did notice that the FE6 and FE7 units don’t have descriptions for them character wise, but that was all I could find out of place. Overall, great work!

It only works on VisualBoyAdvance. I tested it on mGBA and real GBA console. It crashed like this.

2 Likes

If you (@TristanS) are wondering why:

• VBA is a very old and inaccurate emulator
  • To stop it from crashing all the time, they made it replace bad operations with nop so that nothing happens

Please use mGBA instead as your default emulator with febuilder.

2 Likes

The latest version should work on mGBA now, I can’t test it out on gba hardware itself, so I can’t confirm if it works there.

1 Like

If it works on mGBA it should work on real hardware. I don’t think any emulator is 100% perfect, but 99.99% accuracy is what I would generally expect from mGBA and No$gba.

1 Like

Oh, so that is why the games don’t crash for me as often as other people. That is good to know.

Thanks to Mekkah’s recent video he put a link to this patch, which I’m very thankful for since I’ve been waiting for something like to this appears one day and it seems the day has come.

Some mild nitpicks though, is it possible that you can add more shops so we can tweak our weapons more? Say If we want Iron or Steel weapons instead of just silver weapons or unique weapons like the Reavers?

Also Harken’s eyes are closed when trading with him

I’ll probably release a patch that adds the fe6/fe7 unit descriptions in the next week or so, I can include those changes too.

That’s good to hear, I also noticed that the 20/20 Average stats also affect the con stat of every character.
Making so some of them have lower Con then they should naturally?

I thought their would be body rings in the vendor to compensate for this.

I’ll look into it - something might be up with the instruction I’m using to change classes

As far as I can tell the con stat scales up properly with promotion, if there’s a specific unit that has the wrong con that you can tell can you let me know? v 1.3 is up as well

Hey is there a way to change where there S ranks are for weapons

Not currently. I can figure something out for the next version update.

Thanks for the new update.
If I’m correct, some Prepromotes like Harken, (who has 11 con) had his con reduced to 9 for some reason. I think it’s fixed now in 1.3 but before it wasn’t the case. I noticed this when I was summoning all characters that could become Hero’s or are the Hero class

I came here from Mekkah’s video, so I guess this hack was successful