Fire Emblem: Three Legacies (WIP, 21 chapters plus some gaidens complete so far)

So, I’ve been pushing out a whole bunch of mostly non-gameplay changes over the past week or two, and I think it’s about the point where I post a proper announcement of it:

A handful of bosses have gotten new portraits. Some from the Repo, some made by me. Most of these replace characters who previously used just recolored vanilla mugs, though I haven’t yet eliminated all vanilla portraits (I can’t yet decide what to do with Argo and Hikari). Specific characters updated are Steel, Razak, Blumiere, Arashi, Taiyo, Kendrick, Kaen, and Faren. I may redesign Arashi again soon because I’m not quite satisfied with how this version turned out.

steel razak blumiere arashi taiyo kendrick (Toaomr OC 32) Kaen (Toaomr OC 6) faren (Blaze_1)
Credits to Toaomr for the portraits used for Kendrick and Kaen, and to Blaze for the portrait used for Faren

Boss music has received a major overhaul. Gone are the days of vanilla FE8’s The Battle Must Be Won and Powerful Foe. In their place are a mix of new music, mostly from Pokemon and Xenoblade. Also, most boss music now continues on the map after engaging a boss in combat, up until the boss dies! (Some semi-exceptions were made where the map music only changes if you fight the boss on player phase or other similar conditions.)

Also, some aesthetic updates have been made to the maps of chapters 18A and 21x, aesthetic and gameplay updates have been made to the map of chapter 19A, and I swapped out the map music for chapter 21.

Plus, there may have been some small balance tweaks that I’ve since forgotten.

EDIT: Remembered the big balance change! Healing terrain has been removed. Forts, Gates, and Thrones no longer provide passive healing. Passive healing from terrain only ever served to enable boss abuse strats, and removing it is the easiest way to prevent that. There’s all of one map in the hack where I can envision the player ever possibly having used the passive healing themself anyway (forts in Alexander 13-2), so in nearly all cases this should change basically nothing aside from making fort/gate/throne bosses slightly less tedious and far less abusable.

EDIT 2: I have now uploaded an additional improvement: in chapters 8 and 10, instead of spawning as green and turning red on enemy phase, the hidden enemy warnings now appear as untargetable enemies, which means they now properly display their movement ranges as being blocked by your units. Barriers are also now untargetable in the same way. Credits to Vesly for the prevent attacking ASM.

7 Likes

Ahead of the upcoming FEE3 trailer for the hack, I am here to announce an exciting update: a new unit has been added to the earlygame! Meet Rosie the Bow Armor, recruited in chapter 3. She’s a 4-mov bowlocked armor knight with less physical bulk than the earlygame Cavalier, and she’s awesome. Don’t believe me? Try her out!
rosie
High strength + C bows + personal skill Lunge + Longbow in join chapter + Repeater in next chapter = pwnage incarnate, I’m actually almost worried this unit’s too good.

To account for the presence of an additional unit, as well as for the update a while back that made Yuri player-controlled instead of green, chapter 6 has been made slightly harder. Which feels weird to say, given how many times I had to make that chapter easier, but I’ve now started to see reliable Turn 4 clears thanks to player-controlled Yuri and that’s just not right.

Also, I’ve reworked Ashley’s unpromoted anim a bit, the old one felt too stiff:
ashley unpromoted anim less bounce

Using Stitch’s promoted Sue portrait from the recent CCC as a base, chapter 7’s boss, Neyna, now has a proper portrait:
neyna (stitch sue)

And finally, a handful of balance adjustments to various characters:

• Kai’s base Strength has been buffed all the way to 15, allowing him to OHKO some things in his join map with the Steel Axe he now joins with. In exchange, he’s lost a point of base Speed, but gained a point of base Con, to emphasize his role as “hit very hard once”.
  • Caitlyn’s base Speed has been nerfed by 1. Caitlyn has a long history of being an underwhelming unit, which resulted in her receiving various buffs over time. But the rework of the Prologue into an actual map, resulting in her getting an extra 1.5-2 levels, took her from being constantly just below early doubling thresholds to a bit too consistently above them. As this is meant to be something of a consistent issue with her before promotion to balance the Sage speed gain vs Mage Knight extra mov branching promo, as well as to differentiate Willow as “the fast mage”, this nerf aims to put her back on the decent-but-awkwardly-middling speed curve she used to be on.
  • Kalin’s base Speed has been nerfed by 1, mainly just to keep his base lower than Caitlyn’s. He now has a Flux tome in the Prologue instead of a Ruin tome to allow him to still double the Hammer Wyvern, which also has the benefit of making that area of the map more reliable.
  • Anna’s base Defense has been nerfed by 1. Another case of added Prologue availability significantly buffing a unit who was once just slightly behind, and also a case of me realizing “wait, Alexander and Elys only have 6 base Defense now and they’re supposed to have decent-to-good Defense stats, why the f*ck is Anna’s base only one less when she’s supposed to be fragile?”

The Seek tome has been changed from 4 weight to 6 weight with a +2 speed bonus. It still fulfils the same role for Sophia early on, but in a more visible way, as people would previously not notice at first that Light weighs her down where Seek didn’t, but now it also has that benefit for units not named unpromoted Sophia, making it a more interesting tool to trade around. It is now C rank instead of D rank, so Caitlyn and Lysithea will have to work on Light rank a bit before being able to use it.

There have also been some minor dialogue updates in a few places, some small adjustments to other chapters, and probably just a bunch of other tiny tweaks I’m forgetting. Look forward to the hack’s FEE3 trailer coming out soon! I really need to update the main post’s screenshots before then, don’t I…

3 Likes

Also in advance of FEE3, I have now created a Discord server for the hack! Join if you’re interested!

Chapter 20 has now received a total overhaul, because the old version was way too slow-paced and boring, and the boss fight gimmick at the end was just tedious. I have not yet fully tested the new version, because all the save files I currently have on hand around that point in the game are either past it or very outdated, but I am confident enough in it being an improvement over the old version (which sucked) that I’ve released it. Expect some revisions to it in the near future once I get to properly testing it.
new ch20

4 Likes

Does this game include supprots and or PE?

Supports have not yet been implemented at this time. I have plans to write them Eventually:tm:, but they’re very time-consuming to write, and are not my highest priority at this point in time with how many other things are still to be done (most notably: the rest of the chapters lol). I do have a few support chains drafted, but not enough to where I feel ready to enable supports in-game (especially since I also haven’t decided how I want to handle supports mechanically).

If “PE” means paired endings, well, the hack’s not finished yet so endings aren’t a thing yet, but there will be paired endings when it’s finished, which again, will be Eventually:tm:.

1 Like

Oh yeah I just eventually like if you plan to have them lol. I don’t plan on playing until it’s all done lol.

BUGFIX: Certain midgame enemy Pegasus Knights weren’t weak to some bows. This has been corrected.

Other small changes since my last post:

• Minor corrections to Elys and Ashley’s portraits (I finally realized the forehead shading was wrong and that was what kept bugging me about them)
  • Felakhos now has a display skill, “Veteran’s Wounds”, explaining his personal mov penalty.
  • Mounted units no longer look like Mauthe Doogs while being dropped from rescue – at the moment, I have returned to the vanilla behavior of them using the Civilian map sprite during that animation. I’m considering just having them use their actual sprites, because I don’t have a problem with mounted units being on their mounts when dropped, but hearing the cavalry footsteps with each rescue/take/drop felt weird.

Also, I’ve started drafting more support convos. We’ll see if I get far enough to actually start adding them to the game, but that might be coming sooner than expected…

4 Likes

Okay, I’m sorry for what I’m about to say, but I feel like the band-aid needs to be ripped off here. I’ve been playing this hack for a bit and I’m currently at Chapter 12, so I could talk about the maps and whatnot, but I feel like what I’m about to talk about is more important than anything else. Full spoilers ahead, though I cannot spoil the later maps because I haven’t seen them.

• Ashley gets substantial story spotlight, over someone like Alexander, who is also ostensibly the main lord. I have the same problem with Diego overshadowing Petra in EE, by the way, if somebody here thinks I’m saying that because Ashley’s female and Alexander isn’t. I think Ashley honestly overshadows Elys as well, and Elys is the other female lead; most of Elys’s dialogue is about her being peaceful and kind, while Ashley actually gets stuff done by recruiting two units (so far) and talking strategy with Kalin, stuff like that.
  • Ashley gets to look like an exaggerated image of a supermodel, and her portraits show that… in a very extreme way. She also gets battle animations that I can only describe as incredibly horny, especially the promoted one. I could say the same about the portrait. I can’t help but think that Ashley was made the daughter of Claude and Dorothea in order to justify her looking incredibly hot, but even with that in mind, there had to have been ways to make it more tasteful. Instead, Ashley’s part 1 uniform is some kind of jacket and shirt with MASSIVE cleavage to show off her MASSIVE rack, and her part 2 outfit is her wearing a… dress (???) that barely covers anything and makes her portrait look topless while part of it is covered by the hackbox. This doesn’t even go into her battle animations and how they make everything look even more ridiculous, particularly in the case of the promoted animation. Her model in the promoted battle animation looks like all the focus went to exposing as many assets as possible, from the provocative slit on the dress to the extreme amounts of cleavage. I don’t inherently mind making a character look attractive in this way, but the way Ashley’s appearance is handled is the most extreme way of doing it that I have seen in recent memory, and this is a franchise with characters like Kronya (who is also extreme, don’t get me wrong).
  • The hack itself acknowledges the problem, in a way, but that doesn’t make the problem not exist, and the acknowledgment doesn’t feel like it’s poking fun at the idea – but rather, just mentioning the fact that Ashley is the absolute favorite. When Ashley recruits the first map’s Fighter boss in a later chapter, said Fighter comments on Ashley’s appearance, and the discussion mentions that Ashley is literally perfect – has a “perfect body,” has money, has an advantageous position in society, and is pretty good at combat. Ashley hasn’t shown any flaws in the story so far. Her appearance is unblemished, and so is her character, really; being underhanded in her Rosie recruitment could be seen as problematic, but she’s honestly just helping the army convince an enemy to switch sides, and Rosie’s better off that way, anyway, because she would’ve died otherwise. Ashley didn’t actually hurt Rosie there.
  • Ashley is even the clear perfect favorite in gameplay. She has by far the best offenses on the team, and she maintains that position for quite a while. Her personal weapon is really good, and she gets to promote to a dancer. The game even specifically encourages you to promote her in the chapter where you get Heaven Seals for the lords, while it doesn’t do the same for Elys and Alexander, which is quite telling.

I don’t mind creators having biases, we all do. But Ashley’s existence really takes me out of the experience. The amount of focus on her appearance, emphasized by her role in the story (she is one of the lords, so she’s around all the time), is distracting, and her promoted portrait actively makes me laugh, as does her promoted battle animation. The unpromoted portrait and battle animation were already quite out there, but the promoted ones are so, so much more extreme. Other than that, the fact she gets to do things more proactively and the others don’t is also not great… Alexander did get to have a moment where he rode out to save Elys, but overall, I feel like Ashley gets to have a lot of attention. In multiple ways.

I don’t really have a conclusion here, but the way Ashley’s handled just doesn’t sit right with me. Not only does it take me out of the story by making me laugh, but it also makes me question the creator’s intentions. Ashley gets to be exaggeratedly beautiful to the point of looking inhuman, she gets to be one of the best units in the game (if not the best), and she gets plenty of story spotlight – which makes sense for a main character, but she gets stronger characterization than somebody like Elys, who is ostensibly the main MAIN character. I probably wouldn’t be as annoyed by the third point if the first two points weren’t already there in unison, to be honest, but still. It feels like Ashley’s there to satisfy the creator’s fetishes, urges, whatever you want to call them. And I do not like saying this, because it makes it seem like my entire post is a personal attack, but it really feels that way as I’m experiencing the hack.

16 Likes

I am sorry to hear you feel that way. It is not my intention to make any one of the three lords feel more important than the other two – all of Elys, Ashley, and Alexander are main characters, and are all meant to be treated equally as such. I am no perfect writer, and I recognize at the moment that with Alexander in particular my current writing is a bit lacking and in need of revision. It is one of many things on my long, long to-do list, and I’m very open to suggestions for areas to improve.

I will say, with regard to “best unit”, Ashley is certainly good but I disagree with “best”, but I’m always open to nerfing units who are doing too well. It’s possible that the many buffs she accumulated over time have become too much – she used to have a much worse Strength stat (I think in the earliest versions it was 1 lower at base and 5-10% lower growth?), giving her a lot more trouble actually killing things, and it’s entirely possible that I overcorrected over time.

The game even specifically encourages you to promote her in the chapter where you get Heaven Seals for the lords, while it doesn’t do the same for Elys and Alexander, which is quite telling.

The game telling you to promote her immediately is not because of any favoritism for her as a character or because of her being the best unit (she’s not, I’m extremely certain top slot overall is a contest between Alexander and Jahid), but rather because her becoming a dancer is something extremely game-changing that the player really shouldn’t miss out on – not getting the dancer right away is immediately detrimental to the player’s ability to handle that chapter. I generally believe you should promote all three when you get there, and that Alexander is by far a stronger unit overall, but you can get away with delaying Elys and Alexander’s promotions if you want to squeeze a few more levels out of them, while delaying Ashley’s promotion will likely put you in a really bad spot.

I have no real rebuttal on your comments on her appearance. I don’t plan to change it, it is part of her character. I do have plans to adjust her writing to be less “always nice and right” – that underhandedness you saw in her Rosie recruitment is something I want to bring out more in her character.

Aside from changing what she looks like, I am happy to discuss any and all other ways in which you think things could be improved.

1 Like

I’m speaking with the perspective of not having yet played the hack myself, so fair to apply a few grains of salt. But I’ve seen the trailer, some chapters of gameplay, and generally osmosed a fair bit of the content, and yeah, Ashley’s existence is a major part of what keeps me from downloading it. I found Vulgard’s critique to back up the vibes I got, and worry that the reply focuses on individual points without really grasping the cumulative effect; her position on the tier list is just one small part of the picture, not something that needed the bulk of the response.

Because the thing is, Ashley’s issue is not any aspect in isolation. Having a voluptuous character is obviously fine; or, I guess more precisely, an otherwise slim character with a massive chest. Having a character dress in revealing clothing is obviously fine; having that character be curvy remains obviously fine (I would really obviously be a hypocrite for suggesting otherwise). And obviously that is your vision of how the character looks; fine and good. But the way that is conveyed in-game is… questionable. It isn’t a matter of skill, and I don’t mean to denigrate your ability - especially when it comes to full custom mugs and battle animations, both of which are notoriously hard, and neither of which I can do myself. It’s the execution. Pre-skip Ashley props up her tits with her pose, which… sure, that can happen, but as a design decision is pretty clearly positioning them front and centre of the design. Post-skip Ashley, meanwhile, has her outfit squeeze them to a level that is genuinely distracting. The optics unavoidably become that Big Tits are the centrepiece of the character, and I have to believe there are better ways of conveying that design.

The battle animations, meanwhile… whether it is the intention or not, they come across as though the primary intention is to titillate. The ‘house style’ of GBAFE animations is pretty short on jiggle physics; Sol Katti Lyn achieves something approaching notoriety for a tiny shake as she settles her position. So it’s very conspicuous when Ashley shakes with every motion, and goes through motions designed to justify shaking. Many of the dancer’s animations are in cheap gag territory, and don’t belong in a serious environment. You are demonstrably capable of doing the design and the character better justice at your skill level; reworking animations obviously takes a lot of time and effort, but it would be time and effort well-spent, or else a reversion to vanilla (or repo assets) would honestly be preferable.

As for writing, I can’t speak much to the full picture. But of what I have seen of her writing, a lot of it is about how beautiful and available she is. And a lot of what other characters have to say about her is that she is beautiful, and that people hope that she is available. This has been the crux of every Rosie line I have seen. Again: there is, obviously, nothing wrong with a promiscuous character who doesn’t make any secrets about it - or with a shameless flirt with little intention of following through, or with someone who uses that to their advantage. And yes, obviously other characters can fall for her. But when you have a character whose design is heavily sexualised and whose characterisation is largely concerned with her own beauty, and whose character moments largely concern other people finding her beautiful and the resulting fallout… it comes across as unpleasant objectification, regardless of author intent. A name who exists to have huge tits and have people comment on them, not a genuine character.

The hack has obvious promise, undeniable care, and has been receiving plenty of buzz and a massive viewcount in FEE3. I hope it thrives. But I don’t think I can be alone in being turned away by the elephant in the room. If there is a vision of Ashley as an intelligent schemer who uses her allure to good effect, stay true to it. But the current designs do not do it justice.

12 Likes

Thanks for the honest opinion and the level-headed explanation. I’ll have to give it some more thought. I’m obviously hesitant to redo portraits/animations that meet my current standards of quality, but yeah the timeskip portrait in particular is probably excessive.

If there is a vision of Ashley as an intelligent schemer who uses her allure to good effect, stay true to it. But the current designs do not do it justice.

This is my intent for the character, but the writing at the moment doesn’t quite convey the full picture well enough, and it seems the designs of her portraits are also getting in the way. I’ll have to think a bit about how to change things while maintaining the general design I want.

6 Likes

Revised Ashley timeskip portrait
ashley queen v2

And unpromoted animation
ashley unpromoted anim no bounce

8 Likes

Some revisions and additions have been made to story dialogue in the pre-timeskip chapters, with the aim of strengthening Elys and Alexander’s character moments. Still need to rework some of the later ones on Alexander’s route, the writing from ch14A on is a bit messy in places.

Melanie can now be recruited by Elys as well as by Ashley. Ashley is no longer force-deployed in chapter 7.

In response to feedback, chapter 13E has been made easier on Normal mode, removing a handful of reinforcements.

Ashley’s promoted anims have been updated to remove the problematic dodge animation and replace it with something more normal. I’ve disabled the unique animation for her legendary weapon for now, as that one needs a more significant rework.

5 Likes

BUGFIX: Chapter 13x (on either route) was freezing on chapter start due to me forgetting to account for Rosie’s addition in the removal of units from the party.

Hey, I saw the FEE3 showcase and decided to give the patch a play recently up to the end of the first “arc” I noticed (left off in Ch 7 preps) and figured I’d leave some feedback (highest implemented difficulty). Overall, I’d say it was fairly enjoyable and that map design generally worked out well. There were very few maps that I felt dragged or had issues, so largely, gameplay feedback will be about other areas.

My feelings on the gameplay overall is that it was fairly close to FE8, with a bit of wackiness (mostly in character stats) and a bit better enemy quality. It generally plays pretty comfortably, and my only big issue in general is that you are absolutely starved for healing. Elys is basically it for a huge chunk of the game (Anna’s Medic staff is near worthless because a 5 HP heal is usually not worth the action). This wouldn’t be so bad, but free Vulns are also scarce, and the ones you do have are fairly weak (10 HP) and oftentimes don’t heal enough to significantly change combat outcomes. It’s very tough to split when you don’t have adequate healing, and multiple maps seemed to be set up with splitting in mind. My rec would be to either make Medic better and/or make Vulns 15 HP so that they feel worth the action (especially considering how limited the latter are). More specific feedback will be in other tabs since this is getting a bit long.

Chapters

On the topic of maps, a couple quick notes: Ch 3 doesn’t account for if you kill Ven early (easily done through exploiting Lunge), so she opened the door while she was dead. Also, I ended the Kostas map on Turn 5 which felt easier than intended: I’m far from an LTCer, it was just a pretty quick romp to him with Alexander’s group.

The only chapter I had big issues with was the Prologue, especially that Turn 2/3 stretch where it feels extremely easy for Elys to just die if she did combat the turn prior. She’s kind of an active liability in this chapter, and she/Felakhos seem to have to go up to make sure that the mass of enemies to the north doesn’t kill the other two lords. The Turn 2/3 here feels incredibly tight due to that group of enemies, so if you miss or make a suboptimal play, the map can easily spiral out of control. Felakhos having 6 Mov because of an unexplained debuff doesn’t help, since it means he often is 1 tile short of being where I need him to be. I don’t really see the point, either; he’s already reached middling status around where I left off, so it’s not like he’s going to dominate the whole game if left unchecked. If you’re set on the 6 Mov, I would straight up give him a different class because it feels very hack-y.

Back to the map, I don’t think a Prologue should be this difficult, when basically every map after it is significantly easier and it’s meant to be an introduction. Better Vulns would help this a bit, but largely I’d reduce enemy density a bit. It also feels like a miss to have Alexander get owned if he tries to use his Reginleif on that armor because it just means he’s in range of the Halberd Brigand and dies. His performance stands out on this map, in a bad way (especially with Arthur right next to him, who’s massively better in the stretch I’ve played). In general, his mediocre HP (same as the two other lords, basically) means he has a hard time actually doing cav things and taking advantage of his mobility.

Units

This is a good segue to something puzzling I’ve felt while playing, which is that some player characters seem to have a lot of their “power” put into their growths, rather than just having good base performance. Elys is an obvious example of this, as her absurd bulk growths don’t mean a whole lot early when she’s getting 2HKO’d by anything with decent Mt early. Alexander is similarly squishy, and even if he is supposed to grow out of it, he’s about as bulky as Jasper is (or worse). Caitlyn has a pretty good Mag growth, but a fairly meh base, so she doesn’t actually feel like she hits that hard.

This isn’t necessarily “bad”, but I would enjoy using these units more if they just had better base contributions and weren’t as reliant on growth luck (though Alexander isn’t very funny anyway, he just feels mediocre). In particular, I feel this is important for lords who you’re going to be stuck with. Ashley definitely has way better bases than either of them, and I think their stats should trend in a similar direction.

Outside of the three I mentioned, I think most units play good or fine; some highlights to me are Felakhos (pretty strong Jagen who is deceptively fast), Arthur (big bulky cav who has a good headstart on the Knight Crest), Kalin (his Summon is sick), Willow (Spd mage with epic flight), and Jasper (delete button). However, there is one unit who just felt really awful to use, and that’s Sophia.

I get what you’re going for with her, but at base, she is physically incapable of doubling enemies without Seek (and with Seek, her already poor 6 Atk is reduced further, often ending in no tangible difference). It takes her 3 levels on average to catch up to Willow in Mag, but Sophia is massively behind on Spd in comparison and will likely stay that way the whole game. Light vs Flux, assuming she doesn’t need Seek to double, is an additional -3 Atk. Sophia doesn’t even break even in Atk until Level 8 in comparison. This is comparing her to a unit who has bad Mag, too, so compare anyone else (like Caitlyn, maybe) and it’s just tragic.

I’ll end it with this: I like using growth units. I’ve used plenty of mediocre units in hopes of some perceived payoff later (I brought RD Tormod to the tower, for god’s sake). But Sophia is so weak at base that I just can’t justify spoonfeeding her kills for a dubiously better outcome. If Seek wasn’t such a middling weapon, maybe she’d be alright; as is, she has no good weapons, no good stats, and no good reason to come off the bench. Even if she is meant to appeal to other types of players, there’s plenty of room between “is meant for the 20/20 gamers” and “is useless for anyone but them”.

Characters

Some of the main plot gripes I had (certain Ashley dialogue/design, Elys/Alexander rarely having important dialogue and feeling dull because of it) have already been mentioned, so I won’t talk much about them. Overall, I thought the characters did their jobs narratively, except for said lords. In my view, this is because Kalin is a “sublord” who probably has about as many lines as the actual lords. Ashley picks up the strategy line scraps, and then Alexander/Elys usually say nothing of consequence to the chapter (the funniest example of this was when Alexander does his big speech in Fhirdiad and then is ignored, in favor of Kalin doing his strategy talk right after). Having Kalin be less of a spotlight stealer would go a long way in making the other two lords feel like they have a reason to be here.

Plot

I can only really speak on what I’ve seen so far, but overall, I was a little disappointed in how much of a retread the early chapters are narrative-wise from 3H. Bandit attack, mock battle, Zanado, Flame Emperor. It’s all recontextualized a bit, sure, but it doesn’t really feel like its own thing until the gang goes to retake Arianrhod. Then you go into Miklan’s tower, and the vibes from the start kick up again. The Kostas fight ties a nice bow on it, since I’m listening to the GD Endgame theme while killing Nemesis 2. The part that is most original is that Agarthans seem to have more focus, though I can’t say Agarthans would be what I’d choose to follow up on after how poorly they were handled in 3H itself.

The reason this matters to me is that 3H’s care in its world was one of its standout aspects, and one of the big opportunities a sequel has to me is that it can explore a lot of areas never given proper time. So the retreading (and what I’ve seen of the future plot, which is that it goes into crossover territory with Fates, Archanea, etc all now being in Fodlan for reasons?) is not really something I’m interested in.

For a positive example, I liked Caitlyn’s gaiden more than most chapters narratively, because it said “hey remember this place from 3H” and then actually explored it a bit while fleshing out a character who otherwise was just “Oh hey that’s Annette’s kid.” That to me is a more compelling direction that I wish more chapters adopted, but ultimately, I can’t call the way you’ve taken it the wrong one. It just doesn’t do much for me, personally.

That should be basically everything. Sorry to write so much, but there’s a lot to discuss, so I didn’t want to leave out anything that I thought was important. I don’t expect I’ll continue it given the hacklog that I have to chip away at, but best of luck with its dev. It seems like one of the top WIPs to watch on the way to [COMPLETE] after this FEE3.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback! I have some thoughts in response:

With regard to the units:
  • Undoing Felakhos’s mov nerf… I’ll have to think about. It’s a relic of back when I still had Great Knight as a 6 mov class from vanilla, and in buffing it I was worried it would make him too good if he got to have 7. It worries me a bit to undo, because I’ve already had to nerf him stat-wise a few times and I’m concerned it will make some things too easy – in particular, as you mentioned, chapter 6 clears have become a bit too fast with the various other difficulty nerfs I’ve made to that map, and giving Felakhos an extra point of mov would make that even more the case given how well he’s able to rush that area.
  • Sophia. She’s very much intended to be difficult to get going, but my own experience with her – and what I’ve seen in the playtest runs of others who have used her – is that, while her start is definitely awful, it’s not that hard to feed her a kill on most turns without really slowing down your play at all – one-rounding is pretty rare early on, and there’s usually some combination you can put together on some enemy you don’t quite ORKO such that Sophia can land the finishing blow in the same number of actions it would have taken with other units. When you do train her steadily like that, she generally starts doubling and one-rounding by around the start of chapter 6, and once she starts one-rounding, she doesn’t stop. Meanwhile, Willow starts having trouble doing enough damage, Caitlyn has doubling issues, and so on. I don’t think she’s as hard to use as you make her sound, she tends to pull ahead a lot faster than you think once she catches up, and as enemy quality increases as the game goes on she ends up as one of the few units who can truly just delete anything long-term. I’m not by any means saying she’s “optimal” to use, units like her never will be, but I don’t think she’s as bad as you think she is. I suppose I can consider buffing Seek and making it an actual Prf (people tend to think it is, but no, anyone with C Light can use it). I suppose it’s also worth mentioning that she has a currently-unmarked slight EXP boost while unpromoted, as her class is Relative Power 2 instead of 3 – I could probably make a display skill to tell people this, as it does affect evaluations of how quickly she can catch up.
  • Alexander. His earlygame is a little shaky sometimes, but he’s actually a massive balance concern for me – he spirals out of control rather significantly, generally starting… right about where you put the game down. He’s usually just fast enough to double most enemies at that point and to avoid being doubled by the fast ones, bulky enough to take 2-3 rounds of combat, and then he hits really hard and has a ton of mov. I’m really, really hesitant to give buffs to a unit where most of the performance I’ve seen from them is “fine-to-good in the earlygame and broken in the midgame” – I actually generally cite him as one of two main units I consider for the title of “best unit in the hack” (the other being Jahid). I suppose I could probably buff his Strength base without it affecting what he does too much, since he’s never struggling for Strength long-term? I’m definitely not buffing his Speed, and if I’m buffing his base durability it’s coming at the cost of a massive chunk out of his durability growths… which might be a good idea anyway to curb his midgame more, because I still think he ends up being a bit too good… HP growths in general could probably be nerfed a bit…

I’ll definitely think about shifting some other units’ power from growths into bases, ex. I can probably rework Caitlyn to have slightly more Magic base and slightly less Magic growth. I’m hesitant to do too much buffing of bases, since higher bases generally just make units better even if growths are lowered to compensate, but I’ll think about it.

With regard to the chapters:
  • Thanks for the catch on Ven in chapter 3, I didn’t realize killing her before turn 4 had become feasible with Rosie’s addition.
  • I think I’ve started to agree after a few of my own recent runs that that Halberd Brigand in Prologue is a mistake and should be nerfed to a Hammer (I still want it to threaten Felakhos). The current version of Prologue in general is actually one of the most recent maps in the hack (for a long time, it was basically a nothing-chapter with the three lords, Felakhos, and like 6 enemies) and, subsequently, perhaps got hit with something of a case of me overshooting on difficulty. Though, when reworking it, I did want for it to be an introduction in the “get right into the action” kind of way, not the “here’s a gentle walk in the park where you say hi to the main characters” way.
  • Chapter 6 is in a weird spot at the moment. It was, for a long time, brutally difficult, and had wave after wave of enemies nerfed or cut. Then, Yuri was changed from a green unit to a temporary blue unit, and all of a sudden Kostas is dying on turn 4 or 5 even with my now having started pushing the difficulty back up.
With regard to the story:

I definitely recognize that the overall plot is a bit of a weak point in all the ways you mentioned – I’ll think about ways I can maybe restructure some of those early elements of the story while, if possible, keeping the maps and major characters (ex. there’s no reason Titan’s gang has to be in Miklan’s tower other than I was feeling like making a callback when I wrote it, and the layout of the map’s different enough that I doubt people would call it out as a callback if I didn’t say it was the same place).

You bring up a good point about exploring other underdeveloped areas of the 3H world more. If you have particular suggestions for that, I’d love to hear them! If not, I’ll take some time and think about what I can come up with.

I’m also not particularly attached to the chapter 1 mock battle – I could potentially scrap it and buff the lords’ bases a little to compensate, and then work in some other way to do the introductory characterization and add a new chapter elsewhere to expand on the world in other ways.

And with regard to Elys and Alexander’s characterization, yeah, good call on the opening of chapter 6 being rewritten. I was already thinking about that, and have some ideas for it that I’m probably going to implement soon. I’ll fully admit I have a bias towards both Ashley and Kalin, I ended up finding them much more fun to write, while all the interesting ideas I had for Alexander were for the route split later on, so his earlygame stuff is kind of Just There and needs work.

The part that is most original is that Agarthans seem to have more focus, though I can’t say Agarthans would be what I’d choose to follow up on after how poorly they were handled in 3H itself.

Well, them being handled so poorly in 3H itself is part of why I wanted to develop them more. I know they’re not exactly the most popular or well-regarded villain faction, but I think there was a legitimately cool concept there butchered by rushed execution and them trying to do too many things at once. (Trying to do too many things at once, heh, something I know well…)

With regard to the lack of healing:

This has been brought up by a couple people as a concern in the past. I can’t say I’ve personally felt it to be much of an issue until chapter 5 (where it was something of an intended challenge to overcome), and then chapter 6 gives you your second real healer in Lily. As it stands, I do have 20 HP Concoctions in addition to 10 HP Vulns, so Ican probably give one or two of those out earlier to help with the healing situation, or just scrap those and go to 15 HP Vulns as suggested. I’ll think about it. Maybe 15 HP Vulns are just the way…

Once again, thanks for playing the hack, even if you don’t plan to continue at this time. I’ll definitely take all of this into consideration as I continue trying to make the hack as good as I can.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t Loog’s “unit power is tied too heavily to their growths” line up pretty well with your experience being that a lot of the early cast doesn’t get strong until midgame, at which point they become very strong?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s entirely fair haha (though, it’s only really been a problem with Alexander in that regard). I guess I’m just not sure to what level to correct in each direction.

1 Like

Yeah, I could see Alexander becoming very strong with investment, and maybe his promo takes him to another level. But early on, he has fairly similar damage output to Arthur until those Str procs start hitting, while having way worse bulk (the gap here is kinda massive). Nerfing Alexander’s durability growths at the cost of better base durability would be a good direction IMO and possibly help him have a smoother curve into midgame, though I can’t fully say since I haven’t seen it yet. I think there’s also room for more differentiation of the two early (which higher base Str could do), but def agree he doesn’t need big Spd or anything.

It is possible I overlooked Sophia, but I think ORKOing early is not too difficult with the right matchup (heck, Willow’s doing it in her join chapter thanks to Flux Mt). And when it is, I usually found that however much damage she could provide was just not enough for me to get the kill with her or that she was not close enough to the action. I think a Seek buff would help her a lot in getting online, while still probably being sub-optimal to do so, and making it a Prf would distinguish her more from Caitlyn, who can probably reach C Light somewhat early thanks to her skill if you really try for it. The class power thing could be a good idea to make transparent, as well, though I don’t think it influenced my opinion too much.

Honestly, the plot’s already hinted at one of the places I was thinking of in Morfis (hoping that returns because the boss was pretty interesting), so there’s a fair likelihood that some of the ones I’m thinking of have already shown up in 3L. The big one that 3H missed was Almyra; a ton is said about it, but you never actually go there as far as I know, which can make it feel like it’s not actually as important as it is talked up as. I guess another one could be Duscur. Dedue’s an interesting character, and his paralogue shows a number of Duscur survivors that could be hanging out there in the aftermath of the war. There are a ton of places that are unexplored in 3H, though, so it’s hard to pick just a few haha. Wrt Agarthans, I can definitely see that outlook on them as well, it’s just a tough path to tread with the material 3H gives. Elys is definitely an interesting premise for a lord though, so I’m curious to see how it works out later into the story.

2 Likes