Fire Emblem: Three Legacies (WIP, 21 chapters plus some gaidens complete so far)

I’ve finally gone and done a thing I’ve been considering doing for a while now: chapter 13A has been fully split into a two-part chapter, with a preps screen and save point in between.

Also:
-Some small tweaks to chapter 8 (removed one Falcoknight, adjusted Bias’s spawn point)
-Ares now only costs 7500 gold instead of 10000 to recruit.
-Jay now gets boosted to B rank Swords after talking to Yuri in chapter 6 to allow him to use the Wind Sword.

EDIT: Another new update: Debuffs now go down by 2 each turn instead of 1.

2 Likes

I have now implemented a return to world map function! Whenever you end preparations in a map entered from the world map, you will be given the option to exit to the world map instead of starting the chapter, allowing you to go back to the various shops as needed. (I’d have made it an option on the preps screen itself if I could, but that’s beyond my coding level.) Please report if you encounter any issues. (I know it plays the “new shops unlocked” popups again, I’ll do something about that later.)

2 Likes

So, after a long day of banging my head against assembly code, I’ve managed to implement a powerful new ability for Zan, the trainee nobody cares about because he doesn’t summon ballistas. But now, he has a use! Once per chapter, at no cost (other than deploying him), Zan now has a personal Repair action that restores 1/5 of the maximum uses to the equipped weapon of an adjacent ally. Is this potentially highly abusable with legendary weapons and the like? Perhaps, but it also means you’re deploying Zan some number of times to repair them, and it is only a few uses per chapter and it can’t repair staves. Funny blacksmith trainee now gets to do more blacksmith things!

3 Likes

Some small tweaks around, such as:

• Anna now has supply access as a personal skill. (The main lord can still access it as usual.)
  • Enemy Berserkers and Swordmasters have fully lost their class crit bonuses except on those equipped with killer weapons.
  • The funny Devil Axe is now unbreakable, because why not.

So, Team SALVAGED put out their awesome new Lancer animation, and so I added it in for enemy Spear Fighters in the early Dagda arc, instead of them just using regular Soldier animations. But it turned out their first version had an error sometimes causing the game to freeze during the animation. That has now been fixed.

I’ve also removed the difference between the male and female mounted Aid formulas, making a few heavy characters a little easier to rescue.

4 Likes

To make them more clearly distinct from their male counterparts as enemy types, since their statlines are quite meaningfully different, female Dark Mages and Sorcerers now have new map sprites, and have been renamed to Seer and Gremory respectively.

Also, some adjustments to chapter 11A.

Fix: Bennett wasn’t actually joining with the Resonant Flame tome on Alexander route, now he does.

Decided to rebalance Felakhos a bit. He’s now a good bit slower (down to 8 base speed from 11), and joins with a Brave Axe instead of a Silver Axe. Argo now joins with the first Silver Axe instead of a Killer Axe.

Made some edits to chapter 19x, among other things adding a new boss enemy.

Update for Willow’s timeskip portrait!

Bugfix: the Hero’s Bow wasn’t flier-effective, now it is.

Adjustments:
-Lyca now starts on the map in chapter 12 as a red unit, turning green on turn 6 if unrecruited.
-The Shining Bow on Alexander route has been moved back to Hikari’s starting inventory, instead of being dropped by the chapter 14 Sniper.
-The Short Bow house in 13x has been removed, since Hikari no longer needs it with both the Hero’s Bow and the Shining Bow.

1 Like

Kalin now has a proper timeskip portrait!

1 Like

And now Alexander’s pre-timeskip portrait is finally done! He no longer has to wait for the timeskip to gain a third dimension lol, and I changed his outfit a bit so maybe people won’t mistake him for Dimitri quite as much

1 Like

I have now added support for FEBuilderGBA’s update and automatic feedback functions.

In the OP, you can now find a download link for fe3h2_beta.updateinfo.txt. If you save this file in the same folder as the ROM and run the ROM through FEBuilder, you can update the patch at any time by going to Run->Work Support->Update to Latest Version.

Additionally, when running the ROM through FEBuilder with this file, data will be automatically reported to me on unit deaths and chapter clears – this is entirely anonymous and only collects gameplay data, but it can be disabled from the Work Support menu if you’d prefer not to (or by just not running the ROM through FEBuilder).

For it to work, make sure not to change the filenames. The updateinfo file must remain as fe3h2_beta.updateinfo.txt and the ROM itself must be called fe3h2_beta.gba.

My hope here is twofold: that I can collect a bit more data on playthroughs to further improve the game, and that the update function makes it slightly easier for people to keep up with my frequent changes, as it allows you to just press the update button in Builder instead of re-downloading and re-patching manually.

EDIT: Thanks to some help from 7743, the updateinfo file has been fixed to now properly check whether the patch is already up to date before downloading updates!

1 Like

The prologue has been fully revamped! It’s now an actual chapter instead of the basically-nothing it was before!

As part of this, a few characters – Arthur, Anna, Caitlyn, and Kalin – get an extra chapter of availability, resulting in a slight buff to them as they now have a bit more EXP available. They appear in the prologue, then leave and rejoin at their usual times.

3 Likes

Animation update for unpromoted Elys! It’s a fairly simple one, as unpromoted staff user anims tend to be, but to reflect various story events, I made three versions! One for the prologue before she gets her House Leader cape, one for chapters 1 through 6x after she gets it, and one for chapters 7 onwards after her ceremonial sword is stolen by the villains:

elys unpromoted anim sword no cape
elys unpromoted anim sword and cape
elys unpromoted anim cape no sword

Aside from that, I’ve also gone and tweaked some map palettes a bit, so the grass is no longer that vanilla FE8 blue color, and probably made some other adjustments I’ve forgotten.

6 Likes

I’ve decided to rework how poison works – or rather, to remove it as a status effect. Poison weapons now have the effect of the Poison Strike skill: after initiating combat with a poisoned weapon, the target takes nonlethal damage equal to 20% of their maximum HP, regardless of whether the attack hits or deals damage. Poisoned weapons, with the exception of the Venin Edge, have had their might reduced to compensate.

This has allowed me to scrap the poisoned status icon and replace it with custom icons: specifically, I can finally have the Silence icon not conflict with the stealable and droppable item icons, and I’ve added a torch icon for enemies that destroy villages! With this new indicator, I’ve also removed the actual torches from their inventories so they no longer pop up as all having stealable items.

Also, I’ve updated a few more map palettes, the village and boat maps are now a nicer shade of yellow and light brown instead of the vanilla greenish-yellow.

Made some updates to chapter 13-2 of Alexander route to improve the overall flow of the map.

Also, fixed a mistake where the villages in 13-1A couldn’t be visited

Bugfix: An enemy Seraph in chapter 16A was accidentally using the unit ID of a boss enemy instead of the generic it was supposed to be.

Small change: Bronze Bows have been removed, since they’re pretty much useless and I’d rather have the item slot available for future use.

2 Likes

The world map is, at long last, no longer Magvel! At some point maybe I’ll draw an actual unified map, but for now the multiple maps layed out together works well enough. Just imagine the army’s gathered different maps from different places or something. Please let me know if you run into any issues as a result of this change, I don’t think any of the layout changes should softlock old saves anywhere but please let me know if any other issues come up!

world map test color reduced

EDIT: Small update: smoothed out the movement on some of the new world map roads.

7 Likes