Fire Emblem: Three Legacies (WIP, 21 chapters plus some gaidens complete so far)

Removed blessed weapons (except for Seraphim) from the chapter 7 shops, and instead handed out one of each in the next few chapters (Ares joins with a Blessed Sword in addition to his other items, an archer in chapter 9 drops a Blessed Bow, and the end event of chapter 9 gives a Blessed Axe for free, to go with the Blessed Lance Seteth already joined with), so you now have them for chapters 9x/10 without having had to buy them beforehand.

Also shifted around some droppable and chest items in the post-routesplit chapters.

Vox now just starts as a prepromote General, with his bases adjusted to what he used to have after instant General promotion. This doesn’t really change much about him as a unit, since he generally (hah) wanted to instant promote anyway and I believe General to have been his better promotion path for its better speed, res, and ability to tank anti-horse weapons, but with the recent buff to GK’s move, I don’t really want Vox to be able to have 7 mov even with slightly lower stats and cav weakness, it made him a little too good in comparison to Arthur. And he’ll no longer give a bad first impression to anyone who tries to use him unpromoted.

Along with this update, he obviously no longer joins with a Knight Crest, and so to make it easier for Maxwell, Faren’s Knight Crest in chapter 13A is now dropped instead of stealable, and one has been put in chapter 14E.

Oh, and speaking of Maxwell, he now has a new portrait!

3 Likes

Made some changes to how status staves work:

• The base status staff hit rate is now 80 instead of 30
  • Status conditions now only last one turn. For player units, they last until the end of the next enemy phase, while for enemy units, they last until the start of the next player phase. This basically means that what you see on player phase is will be there on enemy phase.
  • Since Poison now only gets to trigger once, it has been buffed to deal 3 damage always. (Not that you should have been risking anything less.)
  • Silence staves now have 5 uses, and Sleep staves now have 4.
  • You now get a Silence staff at the start of chapter 10.

Some other adjustments have also been made to chapter 10.

2 Likes

Some slight tweaks to chapter 11A and more significant changes to chapter 12A. Also, Lyca now has a weak backup weapon for if her Beaststone runs out (it’s very weak, don’t expect it to do that much, but it’s there). Beaststones and Dragonstones can also now be repaired with Hammerne like other weapons.

Oh, and I also completely forgot to mention: somewhere in the last few updates I also installed Vesly’s new Stealable Item Indicator in addition to the Droppable Item Indicator. Enemies with stealable items who don’t also have droppables are now marked with yellow item bag symbols, while enemies with droppables have green ones.

I’ve now made some meaningful updates to chapter 13A, aimed towards making the big story moment of the chapter less potentially-unfair.

Caught and fixed a bug causing a duplicate Kai to potentially appear after chapter 10.

Also, new animation for unpromoted Ashley!
ashley unpromoted anim

2 Likes

I’ve now added the Convoy Item Combination hack by Tequila, allowing you to merge uses of duplicate items by holding L while depositing them in the convoy! Also, some slight adjustments to chapter 13A.

1 Like

CRITICAL BUGFIX: I’d screwed up the address of the convoy when installing the convoy item combine patch, causing it to wipe the contents of your convoy. New patch is now live with this fixed, if you reload your save in the new patch the convoy should hopefully be back.

Somewhat less-critical bug fix: Chapter 13x no longer glitches out when Kai is promoted

1 Like

Update:

• The difficulty modes have been renamed to Normal/Hard/Lunatic instead of Easy/Normal/Hard.
  • Easy, I mean, Normal mode now properly reduces enemy Magic along with their other stats. Shoutout to Contro for the fix.
  • Bronze weapons have been added to the preps shop
  • Various tweaks to chapters 14 and 15.
  • Some tweaks to a few characters’ growths.

Update: two new playable characters! …Sort of! Yuri is now temporarily playable for chapter 6 instead of being a green unit (his sword has been turned into a prf clone of the Wind Sword so you still have to talk with Jay to get the one you can keep), and if you fail to recruit the boss of chapter 21, you get Linhardt instead (who’s mostly just a downgrade but is still a functional staffbot and mage tank). Various other small tweaks have been made as well.

2 Likes

Bugfix: I’d accidentally disabled the “automatically highlight moving bosses” thing, it’s been re-enabled.

So I just finished chapter 10 and since that’s half of the current demo as well as the cut off I thought I should give my thoughts on the hack, also since i consider ultrax a friend It’d also be kinda a shill post lol, but don’t worry the hack doesn’t need any pushing up to stand on it’s own

The pros:

this is a damn good hack, story wise it takes place after three houses in a “golden” route scenario but most of the characters are brand new original ones with the original 3Hs characters on supporting roles, the story is solid, the characters being memorable enough without staying their welcome dialogue wise and it doesn’t suffer from exposition dump syndrome. Gameplay wise, it features some really cool map gimmicks without it being annoying because there’s plenty of warnings, cues and explanations for each map’s gimmicks. The maps are difficult but fair with your units being able to kill enemies as quickly as they can kill you if you position wrong, the maps are relatively big with smart uses of terrain to create check points and natural barriers, there are usually reinforcements from the back after a few turns but they aren’t the oh no you haven’t killed the boss by turn 4? time to send the unkillable super soldier on your ass type, Instead they’re usually more manageable pre-promotes that helps to add pressure but doesn’t kill ya immediately. One of the strongest pros of three legacies imo are the gimmicks your units have with useful and interesting niches for a lot of the character. for example a mage that can use all 3 magic types due to being a genius in magic or a dude that can summon a cursor that has reposition and swap. Dunno how ultrax did it but he somehow manages to make these unique niches useful any yet not broken in every map.

The Cons:
overall there isn’t many cons to this hack cause as I said it’s a damn good hack, so these are more nitpicks than anything substantial. First is the unit variety, there are many cool custom classes or spins to some of the more traditional unit types though i feel like there’s a lack of representatives for certain classes. For example there’s a distinct lack of playable armor knights and more noticeably archers, you get a lot of bows between chap 1 to 10 but the only playable archer is one of your lords, I mean she’s the best of the three lords but still. Another is the number of prepromotes you get. Usually older characters with very low growths, you should definitely use them to deal with the hard maps but it does feel slightly unsatisfying to see how little exp they get and getting that +1 luck most levels. The last is the temporary portraits being very different artstyle wise to the finished ones making it a bit jarring to see both on screen during cutscenes, oh speaking about portraits I feel as if the main lords look a bit too similar to the 3 houses original leaders, i pretty much see edelgard , dimitri and dorothea (okay not exactly a house leader but yknow what i mean) but these nitpicks aren’t very major stuff and the cast is different enough from 3 houses for them to be unique

overall, play this hack people, it’s got good maps, good story and puts a spin on the traditional fire emblem experience.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Obviously the placeholder portraits are, well, placeholders lol. They’ll all be updated eventually. As for Elys and Alexander looking like Edelgard and Dimitri, I swear it wasn’t intentional (well aside from the house leader uniforms of course), but it was probably subconscious. Ashley looking like Claude and Dorothea is intentional, while her mother isn’t officially stated in-game those are her parents lol. (I know they can’t support in the original, I also don’t care, and the pairing was suggested by friends who didn’t know that.) Their timeskip designs do make them look a bit more unique.

With regard to the earlygame class distribution, part of it came about because I came up with some of the initial character concepts before fully considering class distribution, and part of it is because I have a very evident bias towards mages lol.

The lack of other early archers is largely by design to allow Ashley to shine in her role more, and also because Ashley always being around would make another early archer have trouble standing out. Flier-deleting and 3 range are also some of the things that allow Caitlyn to stand out from the many other early mages thanks to her exclusive access to Aircalibur and Sagittae early on, so another early archer would also compete with her when she already tends to have a hard time standing out from the other magic users. There are a few other characters who can gain bows on promotion (Melanie promoting to Warrior, Ares promoting to Ranger, technically Tinker promoting to Artillerist and Zan promoting to Warrior but they’re unlikely to get there at this point), and there’s a really strong prepromote Sniper who joins in a little bit (ch12 Elys route or ch15 Alexander route). That’s another reason there’s no other early Archer, Snipers in this hack have Bow Range+1 and I don’t want the player having easy access to two of that lol.

The lack of early armor knights more came about because I just didn’t really have a slot for one, Arthur basically fills that role directly and there’s other bulky units like Elys, Kalin, and Jahid around as well. No other early armors also means I can put armorslayers around to threaten Felakhos without them also nuking other characters. There are two prepromoted armors in Titan (Guardian) in ch10 and Vox (General) in ch12A/15E, and Elys does become an armored unit on promotion. (Vox used to be unpromoted but ready for instant promotion, but he was really designed for instant promotion and performs way better instapromoted so I just made him a prepromote, trying to use him without instant promotion left a bad first impression whereas he’s pretty great as a General.) I have vaguely considered changing Zan’s second promotion option from Pirate to Armor Knight.

As for the prepromotes, Seteth and Lysithea appearing as secondary and tertiary Jagens were relatively recent additions to the cast, placed there to assist with chapters 7-10 and 9-10 respectively. Seteth’s been around for a little while now, Lysithea was added within the last month. Ven and Titan, while prepromoted, have solid enough growths and good enough bases to hold up decently well for a while. (Lysithea can kind of hold up long-term as well in that she does one thing (big single hit magic damage) and does it well, and her high magic can make her a good staffer if you grind her staff rank, but she will end up getting OHKOd by just about anything because of her nonexistent bulk.)

Happy to hear you liked the design of the various units and their niches, I’m generally quite proud of how I like to think I gave every unit something interesting about them/something to make them worth using.

Overall, glad you liked it! I look forward from hearing your thoughts on the rest of it as you keep playing!

Oh, and also, some slight fixes:

• Bronze weapons are actually in the preps shop now
  • Fixed a glitch where the droppable item indicator would show up as a white square when viewing the map during preps (the Silence icon is now back to being a bit jank, but oh well, there’s just no space in the system icons sheet)
  • Caught and fixed some mistakes in a bit of earlygame dialogue (wrong open quotation mark, textbox clipping the screen edge, that kind of thing)
  • A very, very small tweak to chapter 5 (the armor knights that spawn by Titan once the switches are hit are now on attack in 2 AI instead of aggressive AI, and their spawn position has been shifted slightly in from the walls)

funny thing is lysithea, straight died last chapter lmao, got nuked by a wyvern or something, I know she’s a glass cannon but damn 0 def is harsh lmao

When you really want to make sure the new addition prepromote with OHKOing power doesn’t risk fully overshadowing the other early-joining units in similar classes lol. Just don’t put her in range of wyverns – or anything physical really – on enemy phase. She was added because I wanted to make sure there was someone who wasn’t gaiden-locked who could ORKO ch9 Mercenaries at base, and because one playtester was bugging me to make her playable and it made sense. But I wanted to make sure she had very pronounced weaknesses so getting her didn’t render training someone like Caitlyn, who’s also an offensive but physically-frail magic user, pointless.

Speakin of which, here comes the best part, UNIT REVIEW!! this is gonna be a little out of order, humm guess I should spoilers it just in case:

Spoilers dude!! I SAID SPOILERS, SPOILERSSSS!!

Elys:
She’s an alright magic lord, her spd growth sucks so she’s in risk of getting doubled by some enemies but she generally has enough HP, Def and Res to withstand most enemy attacks. Her high staff ranks also help her be a good support unit

Arthur:
Armor knight on a horse, this guy will never double anything, he’s bulky defense wise but middling strength and not doubling make his attacks do little damage. Otherwise keep him out of range of mages and he can tank some peeps

Willow:
Lost her early, cool concept but dunno If I like the thought of a frail shaman having 30 % chance to die each time, otherwise might just be a better lysithea later on

Sophia:
I was wrong about this character sucking, well at least half wrong. Tbh if willow hadn’t died I might’ve just not used her because 2 mag with light magic = to barely any damage on enemies, she also takes a while to get to a spd threshold where she doubles stuff, thought she’s plot relevant so you might wanna train her regardless, high light magic rank will allow her access to light spells that deal effective damage on monsters, and trust me these monsters ain’t the squishy ones in fe8

Ashley
Debatably the best unit in the game, only archer for half the demo, access to longbows and shortbows (1-2 range) and she consistently doubles, only problem is, she can take like 1 damage before being in danger of dying, but otherwise golden deer for the win

Alexander
he’s quicker than arthur but frailer and he stays lance locked even on promo, he’s good enough to deploy every map and can double sometimes

Tinker
I gave her favoritism because I wanna see that cool ass engineer battle anims, yet she still kinda sucks, might get better on third promo, right now she deals good damage but still gets doubled, so she’s pretty frail and I have given her the HP boost item too

Lily
She’s the troubadour

Kai
I have deployed this guy everymap and everytime barely use him in combat, his wolves tho? game changing, they can chip and distract enemies

Edger mcedger town
uhhh forgot his name, prf is good and he’s really dodgy, solid dodge tank

Caitlyn
Cool niche that she can use all three magic types, though i found her damage to be slightly low in the recent maps, least she has sagittae with 3 range

Melanie
Str is low and the way to fix that is to use great weapons, which funnily enough counters her high speed, i’m trying to use killer axes with her

Felakhos
Field him every battle, trust me you’ll need em, he’s fast enough to not get doubled and even double some enemies, can kill and chip, just get him away from any armor or horse slaying weapons of which there are many

Jay
Has not gotten a single point of str since he joins. His one purpose of note is recruiting Ven

Ven
doubles and crits, good

Titan
He just joined so I dunno yet, seems like a good tank tho

Seteth
He can tank some hits but his str is generally low, he’s doing like 5 dmg twice with iron axes, still he can be pretty helpful to tank and stuff

Kalin
The cursor has helped me many o times, only guy with positioning skills on em, otherwise he’s an aight magic unit

Zan
comes with 3 killer weapons when you recruit him, otherwise I really don’t see him surviving that long lmao

Jahid
I must have gotten severely unlucky because his stat really sucks right now

Anna
Low strength and can’t double if not using bronze weapons, she didn’t just get benched, she is the bench

Ares? was it?
His standards for employment was too high for a broke army like mine and so he was sent to the shadow realm

Lysithea
will die if a physical unit touches her, otherwise, hey S in dark and she can heal

1 Like
Some notes in response

Obviously I’d have to see how your units’ stats turned out to know for sure whether certain characters were getting blessed or screwed, but I will point out some things of note for a few of them:

Willow
She’ll never come close to Lysithea’s magic stat, though she does double where Lysithea doesn’t, but aside from funny dodge tanking Willow’s big claim to long-term value is being able to promote to Dark Flier. Flying mage who doubles everything is pretty good even with her fairly low magic.

Sophia
The special tome she gets for chapter 10 is specifically statted to allow her to OHKO most of the monsters even without training (the only ones she can’t OHKO untrained are the spiders), and the huge Res boost she gets for that chapter lets her survive a hit from the enemy mages there well enough untrained, so it’s not like it’s necessary to train her. But yeah, she gets really good once she gets going, it just takes some work to get her going.

Ashley
“Best unit in the game” is an interesting take but she’s definitely good, I won’t pretend I haven’t given her some favoritism. (My personal opinion based on my own test runs is that Alexander and Jahid are probably the best units in the game, but random growths will be random growths.)

Tinker
Trainees are inherently high-variance in how their stats turn out and can take a while to get going. Sounds like yours might be speed-screwed, or maybe you’re just thinking of fast enemies like mercs, myrms, and pegasi who can double a lot of people.

Anna
Anna’s a bit of a case of “she’s really good if you know what she’s actually for.” Her strength isn’t great, but even with getting weighed down by irons she can still double a decent amount of things early on with them, more as she levels up. Flying is very powerful, as we all know. But more importantly, she actually has pretty decent magic and gains staves on promotion to Seraph, making her one of the best support units in the game after promotion, plus she makes really good use of the Shockstick you get in chapter 10.

Jay
Yeah, he’s not really meant for combat generally, he’s meant to do thief things with lockpicking and stealing. But he’s actually got some combat value once you get the Levin Sword, which he has the base rank to use. He ORKOs chapter 6 Brigands with it at range (3 base magic + 9 might + 1 weapon triangle = 13 attack, doubling, against 25 HP 0 Res) and has a really high Magic growth. Not saying he’s a good combat unit, he’s not, but he can do some magic sword things.

Ares
Chapter 6’s ending gave a decent chunk of gold, you got a Blue Gem at the end of the last chapter, there’s a Red Gem droppable on his recruitment map and a nearby shop on the map to sell it, and the items he come with (Lancereaver+Blessed Sword+Hero Crest) basically pay back the cost of recruiting him, but yeah he’s by and large a filler unit. Though I will say, as an instant promote Ranger he’s really good in chapter 10 with his high Res and bow access. Did you steal the Hero Crest before killing him, at least?

Some slight changes:

• Healing staves now include their healing formulas in their descriptions.
  • Anna now joins with a prf staff, Medic, which is significantly weaker than a normal heal staff (heals equal to magic instead of magic+10) and grants no WEXP, but still allows her to provide a little bit of backup healing earlygame before she promotes to emphasize her value as a support unit.
1 Like

Some tweaks have been made to chapter 16A, both in gameplay and story.

1 Like

New update! Aside from some additional small tweaks to chapter 16A, I’ve added a new set of special weapons to the game. They are C rank, unbreakable, and have low might (between Iron and Bronze), low weight (again between Iron and Bronze), and equal accuracy to Irons. More importantly, while equipped, they give a +3 bonus in a particular stat to allies within 2 spaces, making them a powerful tool for contending with the game’s strong lategame enemies, so long as you position and manage your items carefully. Specifics:

• King’s Blade – in Mizukai’s inventory when he joins (end of ch16). Grants +3 Speed to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Leader’s Spear – obtained at the end of chapter 15 on Alexander route, or in Alexander’s inventory when he rejoins on Elys route. Grants +3 Strength to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Captain’s Axe – in Argo’s inventory when he joins (ch11). Grants +3 Strength to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Hero’s Bow – in Hikari’s inventory when he joins (ch13xA/12E). Grants +3 Speed to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Resonant Flame – in Bennett’s inventory when he joins (ch12A/13xE). Grants +3 Magic to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Shielding Light – in the inventory of whichever character you recruit at the end of chapter 21. Grants +3 Resistance to allies within 2 tiles.
  • Sheltering Dark – obtained at the end of chapter 15 on Elys route, or in Elys’s inventory when she rejoins on Alexander route. Grants +3 Defense to allies within 2 tiles.

(Note: the ones with duplicate effects don’t stack with each other)

2 Likes