Fire Emblem Thracia 776 - Forseti's Cut

Happy New Year, FEU!

I am known as CedAodh, a rather quiet member of the community for about 5 years now. My credentials are having been a small-time developer for FE6 Project Ember more toward the end of its hype, as well as the lead playtester for FE5 Lil’ Manster!

Today I come with an FE5 mod that I’ve been working on and off alongside many talented people. It is known as FE5 Forseti’s Cut. What started off as me wanting to make myself an FE5 numbers patch (you know, do things like make fire magic not blatantly worse than other magic) and Advent wanting to make a mod which would insert more moments of dialogue for this game’s beloved but rather mute cast has now collided together—and after being joined by more collaborators, we just can’t stop getting more and more trivial ideas for every little way the game itself and its presentation could be improved. You’re going to see a lot of extra dialogue, to put things lightly.

It’s been about a year and a half since we’ve been provided with the optimal FE5 hacking tools, and we had yet to come out with an “official” release, but I kept letting my perfectionist view get the better of me. I’m ending that now.

Some changes in Forseti’s Cut that we’re particularly fond of:

• Brighton is now a prepromote.
  • Fire, Heal, and Door Keys can be bought from the preparations screen shop.
  • 3 additional units that have been restored from the original game’s data: Gunnar (Asbel’s presumed grandfather), as well as letting you choose Daisy and Asaello as an alternative to Lifis and Safy.
  • Most unused bosses have been restored, with 2 new ones being added.
  • A 2-3 range bow locked to bowlocked units has been created, called the Recurve Bow (the name Longbow is already used in FE5).
  • B-Route has gotten plenty of perks and bonuses to make it just as favorable as A-Route.
  • Chapters 12 and 12x are no longer a staff-induced nightmare if you play without warpskipping.
  • The feature from modern FE games where a unit has their whole inventory sent to the convoy/supply upon getting killed (and only killed, not if you get captured).
  • Many units have had their portraits revamped and/or their battle sprite colors moved around to look more like their official art. In this same vein, the more major bosses in FE5 now have unique color palettes in battle.
  • Accost had its double-edged sword property removed: it will activate only if the unit with the skill can actually attack in that combat, in addition to having higher HP and attack speed at the start of the combat (Selphina will no longer get ORKOed by ballisticians).

Other important things…

The patch uses Lil’ Manster’s translation/localization and QOL additions as a base. I pan through this script from time to time to find things that I want to rewrite. Things like Ronan speaking like a bandit when his dialogue in FEH is not at all like that. I also personally prefer a more polite way of speaking for him.

As I mentioned before, I’m pushing away my perfectionism for the sake of us just releasing something. Even though we’re working with a complete game, enough stuff has been added that it can easily lead some parts to feel unfinished. Nothing unplayable, but it may feel off all the same, namely with game balance in some maps and with some conversations that have received less revisions than others.

Forseti’s Cut has its own channel within the Lil’ Manster Discord, known as FE5 Hacking Hel. You can join it to interact with us, as well as provide any feedback you feel is necessary. Whether the difficulty could be altered at certain points, providing feedback on edited graphics (lots of palette and portrait changes), or making suggestions about the dialogue. I like FE11 and 15’s localization very much, and I take great strides to make our new dialogue on par with those two games. But it’s a lot of writing, however, and sometimes the creative juices of my brain just dry up a bit.

Server link:

Patch (and general changelog) link:

(Hint: this patch gets applied to the same ROM as Lil’ Manster)

Just like with Project Ember and FE6, please don’t see this as a replacement for FE5. Lots of people have tried to come up with brief descriptions for FC. My favorite two, personally, are “love letter to FE5” and “Thracia but different.” At the end of the day, all we ask is that you approach FC with an open mind. Do that, and we’ll expect you to have a good time.

Credits:

CedAodh - Dialogue Writing, Coding, Graphics Editing, Game Design
Advent - Dialogue Writing, Coding, Social Media Promoting
Lord Louie - Graphics Editing, Game Design, Portrait Creation
PobbleBobble - Graphics Editing
MiacisJaune, Zane Avernathy, Kalieum, Ultimage, ai - Coding Assistance
Jeorge Reds, Cyn, 316◆316gGitpsw氏 - Portrait Creation
Psychout - Game Design
Special thanks to all of our playtesters from the FE5 Hacking Hel server

fe5trans1259fe5trans1265fe5trans1274
fe5trans1313fe5trans1348fe5trans1345
fe5trans1538fe5trans1069!fe5trans1537

30 Likes

Why is Advent not credited, and why was this posted without his consent? Where are credits for the other people who worked on it, like Jeorge Reds? If this is a leak I’m reporting this to the FEU mods.

Thank you for editing the main post with the credits.

7 Likes

I know very well that Advent and the rest of the team have wanted a release done for months. I guess I wanted to surprise Advent with the post, but at the same time I needed him to make the credits list because I didn’t want to mess up and forget anybody. I understand, maybe not the best plan…
Anyway, OP is updated and the credits are now there!

2 Likes

Seems like there was some miscomms about perms behind the scenes, so we’re closing this for now. The team members can reach out to us to restore the thread once that’s all settled.

3 Likes

So! After finding some small issues with the patch (coding slip-ups) and not-so-small issues with the post (the summarized changelog was not finished at the time of release, and was omitted, for one), we’ve been able to sort these issues out and have gotten to a point where all parties are now confident with a release. My apologies if it seemed like something more egregious happened (I saw the word ‘leak’ get thrown around) but that’s not the case. We hope you all enjoy the patch, if you do decide to check it out!

25 Likes

when the super mode (40 caps mode) with inflation

It’s official in FEU now!

wow thank you very much for this hack i wil ltry it right away … thank you for your hard work

Hey everyone! It’s been a few weeks.

For those who aren’t in the loop, an update is currently in the works. It’ll fix things pertaining to bug reports as well as adding new stuff that wasn’t already added. As a little glimpse into “new stuff,” it’ll include things like more world map narration for chapters that don’t have it; some more minor tweaks to units (both player and enemies) and items; and some more inconsequential cosmetic changes, like finally removing that weird camera pan to the left at the beginning of chapter 3.

Knowing that this definitely isn’t the most ambitious project one has done for FE5, I’m nevertheless grateful for the positive reception it’s been getting. Thank you all.

9 Likes

Hello! Happy Leap Day!

I’m making this post because half an hour ago, I realized I just had to post something on Leap Day! There’s definitely that chance that I’m not working on an FE mod four years from now, so today might be my only shot. That said, here is Forseti’s Cut 1.1:

QOL changes:

• Attack Speed displays on the item equip menu
  • Might is listed before Hit on an item’s description, as per most other games in the series
  • Battle forecast now displays the player unit’s weapon instead of the enemy’s class (big thanks to Ultimage)
  • Like in FE3, all your cavalry units will automatically mount/dismount during the preparations screen of an outdoor/indoor chapter. This is currently in effect for all chapters past chapter 7 except for 12x and 21x. They will be added in the future, once world map event files have been created for them
  • Conditional enemy spawns that happen on turn 1 now appear on the preps screen. This affects characters like Shannam in chapter 16B and Amalda and Conomor in chapter 19. Due to eventing limitations, this couldn’t be worked out for Marty in chapter 8
  • Skipping the world map narration sequence will no longer also skip the dialogue that comes after it before the preparations screen (big thanks to Zane; this was really important to me)
  • I repurposed the alphabet ordering scheme on the preps screen for the item list and supply to do the actual order of items according to their weapon level and type. So instead of seeing something like Fire, Wind, Thunder, then Meteor, you can see Fire, Meteor, Thunder, then Wind

Dialogue:

• A world map narration for chapter 8x has been added
  • The phrase “holy blood,” which has recently been dubbed by us as a fan term, has been wiped from the script. There is no holy blood; only holy knights and holy wars
  • Two conversation backgrounds are used very rarely in vanilla FE5. There’s the house interior that appears only in chapters 12 and 12x, as well as the throne room, which appears only in 24x. These backgrounds now appear more often (for example, the throne room is now used for the end of chapter 18)
  • Character and item names have been updated to what they are as of now in FEH. Examples include Hammerne > Repair and Colho > Cullough (I am very happy the faction name Cullough’s Boys still fits)
  • We decided FCM/PCC could really use a single abbreviated word for its name like all the other stats. The word we decided on is “Aggression,” or Agr
  • While not all of his conversations have been done yet, I’m working to have Perne’s speech match the way it is in FEH. I personally think it’s all the more fitting for him, anyway
  • Chapter 1’s opening conversation bug is fixed
  • Dalsin now has actual recruitment conversations with Leif/Lifis depending on which recruits him

Gameplay:

• Generic enemy stats were fiddled with some more. Nothing I can really be specific about, I have to say. Just play, and give your thoughts if they’re too strong or too weak. While I’m trying not to fall into the trap of doing needless inflation, I do think vanilla FE5 enemies are steamrolled way too easily. I’d like to give you players obstacles than can’t just be enemy-phased and done with
  • Bosses that don’t appear on the preps screen, like Cohen and Saias in chapter 22, as well as the deadlords in the endgame, do now appear on the preps screen
  • Linoan now recieves Hamme— I mean Repair, in chapter 15 if 2x and 14x were both skipped
  • Testing an enemy AI setting I found where the enemy can attack you only if they can reach at least one target with only half their movement. I’m trying to use this to make Fog of War maps perhaps more engaging and less tedious. Right now, it’s only in effect for chapter 8x. Let me know how it feels to play against enemies like this
  • Speaking of chapter 8x, the thief in that chapter now goes for the chests and seems to try to take about half the treasure before escaping. Also, I was told the enemies were a little too high level, particularly the guys Dagdar has to go against at the very beginning, so they were weakened a bit

EDIT:
Not even 24 hours later, the patch has been updated for two things:

• There was a fatal bug where trying to select the Staff command would just cause the game to freeze entirely. It appears to have been tied to our code to make Attack Speed appear on the item equip screen. Fortunately, it looks like I was able to get it fixed without having to forgo the UI improvement entirely
  • Three enemy heroes in chapter 16B had the wrong name and had their levels totally overtuned by mistake—both are now fixed

Just remember, like with any update, this new patch has to go onto the same JP FE5 ROM. Apologies for the inconvenience.

9 Likes

Hello again.

This post is to inform you all of two more important documents that Advent was able to complete recently: the unit compendium and the new dialogue list. They’re now included in the project folder. The former is simply to provide a table format of the exact changes that every playable character has received, ranging from bases and growths, to personal support bonuses, to special and unique notes. There’s also information about the three new characters. The latter is to provide a list of all instances of new dialogue in FC. We expect this to be useful to those who want to skip vanilla dialogue that they’ve already seen and read only the new stuff, without fear of missing any of the new stuff.

For those interested in how development progresses, I’ve been fixing a pet peeve of mine—Nanna, Amalda, Karin, Misha, and Eda switching to skin-colored armor when they dismount.

For example, Nanna wears that bluish outfit when mounted,
fe5trans1536

but a mostly skin-colored one when she’s dismounted.
fe5trans1528

So, I have come up with this through graphics editing, including a proper inspection of hopefully every accompanying frame.
fe5trans1530

I still have to do this for, I think, five other sprite sheets (remember, promoted sprites as well as healing animations) before all five girls have received justice. So it’ll be a while before it’s done and added.

I know I’m not in school and this post isn’t being graded or anything, but I still feel the need to create some kind of conclusion. So…yes, thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy Forseti’s Cut and reach out with any questions or feedback.

9 Likes

Does this color also apply to Nanna’s All Battle Sprite?

Hey, been playing through the mod and I’ve been enjoying it a lot, the extra characterization is really fun! Though I did want to ask, the general changes doc mentions that in 14x, Karrin can wait in a spot to have a secret event. I haven’t been able to find this anywhere, can you provide some help and or describe it?

Advent made this event, and it looks like there’s one specific tile for Karin to land on. Take the cursor all the way to the upper left corner, then go two to the right.

The game crashes whenever i use a staff on snes9x on my 3ds. What do?