Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade 'Remake' [FE6 in FE8] [COMPLETE]

This could be left to the player’s choice on whether she picks it up or not. Just like Roy using Durandal like his father before him is optional (as we know his “canon” weapon is the Binding Blade, so it’s not like he actually has to).

There’s also the chance someone else may step up and decide to take the brunt of the curse for her, like Gonzalez.

On another note, Guiding Ring doesn’t seem to work to promote Raigh. I had to use the Master Seal.

1 Like

Oh right I forgot the word optional, my God damn
Brain thought Lilina could only use the Armads.
I now double down apologize for the confusion that I made.

@ZeN2002

Bug - At Chapter 16x, the goddes hero boss does not spawn after i kill the Mage boss, like in other gaiden chapters! u do get the reward though after capturing the throne!

Question: In Chapter 14, I’ve found all the items buried in the sand, except the Guiding Ring that only Sophia can find. Was it removed?

It’s there ,I found it with Sophia at my first try so it’s not bound to luck or thief like the others.

Which tile exactly? I tried her all over the nearby area and I didn’t find it.

I think it was 3x3 tile range near the entrance to the boss. Search FE6 desert map and you should find a map with all the treasures marked easily.

there is another thing that causes confusion on this, the fact that curse exists retroactively. since it isn’t mentioned at all in fe6.

I honestly forgot about that curse since it’s completely irrelevant to FE6 and likely only brought up in FE7 solely to explain his death in FE6. I mean Durban never appears in FE6 so I’d think the idea of the curse began and ended with Hector. especially since before hector no one had wielded Armads since Durban himself, so how would he actually know it’s cursed?

otherwise all of the dragonkiller weapons of elibe should have had some kind of curse on them but don’t.

2 Likes

he knows its cursed because durbans literally tells him and hector says he doesn’t care. and no, that doesn’t mean all the other weapons are cursed, just armads is.

2 Likes

@ZeN2002

Thanks for this hack, it was so much better then the vanilla game with all the changes and work u put in!! also i liked the difficulty on hard, it was fair.

BUT…

Spoiler

that ending was very unsatisfying though!!, wish u would have added more story to complete the lose ends!!

Good luck with ur next project!

Edit: btw does any1 know if there is a Fe7 remake rom hack?? i searched but didnt find any.

Fe6 holds a special place in my heart due to it being my first fire emblem game. So against my better judgement, I completed an entire playthrough of this game in normal mode (as the OP stated that it was untested mode).

And as such, I’d like to give a basic review of the game.

The Good.

• I find the Portrait recolors (mostly) to be very pretty. The colors are very vibrant, but not sickeningly so.
  • I was personally a big fan of replacing Merlinus in most of the cutscenes with Lilina and/or Wolt.
  • Some of the new cutscene were good additions, such as the one where Lilina processes Hector’s death.

The Bad.

• The hack suffers from major skill bloat. I have never been a fan of skills in general, but this takes it to the next level. Every single enemy has their class skills on them if they are above the level you unlock then at.
  • A few of the new cutscenes are incredibly out of character especially the scene where Zephiel apologizes whilst he is dying.
  • Quite a bit of inspiration was taken from PE to the point that it’s way beyond the line where inspiration ends and plagiarism begins
  • The game bizarrely despite changing a lot in some parts of the game, refuses to budge on some of the new features that the Fe8 engine has to offer. There are no split promotions, you get one set promotion (And some of them are not even the vanilla promotion such as Lugh promoting into a MK instead of a sage, so this being so that the class balancing stays the same would not be an argument).
  • The gaiden legendary heroes are just kind of sad boss fights as only the magic 3 have 1-2 range.
  • Tome users but especially Light tome users are pretty screwed over in the hack as tomes use their updated weight without any of the users having increased constitution.

The Bugly.

• I find it quite alarming that during my playthrough I encountered 2 progression softlocks and one impossible to miss minor bug that should have been caught assuming that hard mode was playtested as claimed in the OP.
  • There are quite a lot of pallet errors and similar bugs that should have been caught in the builder, no testing required

And so in summary, I’d say that this hack definitely has potential, it is very technically impressive that the entirety of FE6 was ported to the FE8 but as of now it is potential that is wasted.

As stated in the first line of my review, I am in no way an unbiased party nor do I claim to be but I do wish that this hack was a more enjoyable experience for people who like base FE6.

17 Likes

Thought I’d add my +1 to the “inspiration taken from PE,” opening it up in builder, growth rates and bases for a lot of characters are the same. Certain things like Debias being recruitable is blatant PE, and I didn’t play up to this point, I got up to chapter 7 and had issues continuing because it felt like I was playing PE with skills and I’d rather play PE at that point, but you even named Geese’s weapon riptide? The legendary hero fight was also in PE too. I don’t know if Brunhilda can have a copyright on growth rates/bases of units/weapon names/character recruitments but it is a bad look.

1 Like

Might get flak for this, but I just want to say I don’t feel like Debias being recruitable should be considered a PE-specific thing. Project Ember was definitely the first project to make that particular change, but I feel like that kind of story-rewrite is something anyone could do.

I do, however completely agree that if he’s recruited in the exact same manner as in PE that’s blatantly copying what they’re doing. Identical growth rates, identical preference weapons and identical support convos is flat-out plagiarism.

6 Likes

Talking about plagiarism in a site dedicated to plagiarize some games other people made is a bit…
Being kind and say everyone takes ideas from others is the correct choice here and your idea being worthy of that is also a form of praise.

3 Likes

There is a line between taking something made by a company sold for currency and making something new from it for people to download for free and straight up copying something that someone else had written and not properly crediting them and just saying “inspired by”
Directly copying from PE isn’t something to praise, taking inspiration from PE is. One is lazy and does nothing unique and the other is using what was previously built to make something new and refreshing continuing the cycle of inspiration and motivation.

There’s a reason why there are so many SotF inspired hacks and no hacks that directly copy stats and growths as well as entire recruitment conversations and personal weapons from SotF, because it’s lazy.

13 Likes

We don’t need to rehash the plagiarism accusations in this thread. We’ve already opened a dialogue with the hack creator about this issue.

10 Likes

I really hope that the conversation with the hack creator reaches a consensus. This project has a huge potential, and I’m enjoying the little I’ve played…but yeah, there’s too much Project Ember stuff inside the hack to say it was just an inspiration.

One of the best experiences I’ve had, can’t wait for the F7 version of this, thank you very much.

Ok will do a more in-depth review later, on i have to comment on certain misuses of the Skill System:

• First off, use of Rally Skills as class skills. It creates a dissadvantage as enemy unit AI cannot use these skills.

• Second…use of Paragon/Aptitude as a personal skill…and as extensively as it is. Sure, you can accelerate your level ups, but once you max out, they become dud skills.

• Third. Skill repetition. Having personal skills that are the then repeated as class skills, creates bloat and devalues then. Personal skills should be unique to each character and a statement of what the character stands for. Sure it won’t always be perfect, but a bit of clean up and balancing would be appreciated.

• Fourth. Why do Armor Generals get Ignis? They are meant to be a tank class, this just turns them into another burst class, except slightly better due to their durability.

• Fifth. Giving Roy Spectrum Stance and Rally Spectrum as early in the game as you did is over kill. Both of those are extremely potent skills that should be “ultimate” level skills that you gain in your last level ups.

• Sixth. Why do Berserkers get Colossus? It already one shots if it triggers on any STR based class, why put it on the class that already has the highest physical damage celling in the game?

These are some of my major issues with the hack from a playing/balance POV. That being said Rutger is a masterpiece…extremely fun and plays into what a Swordmaster should be.

1 Like

About the second the simple thing the creator can do is just replace those two when you promote your units. Unless prepromotes have those skills.