Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade 'Remake' [FE6 in FE8] [COMPLETE]

Okay, so I’ve got some opinions, and ultimately this is your hack, so do whatever you want with it, but FE6 has always had a special place in my heart, so after playing through this I’ve got some notes. Some have already been said, but maybe they bear repeating.

First and foremost, skill bloat. Holy moley, skill bloat. I get that Skill Systems has six spots for skills, but I don’t really feel like you need to use all six. It adds way too many hard to keep track of complications to every single fight from pretty much the jump. Personally, I don’t think classes need more than one or two skills max. It feels less like strategy and more like random chaos. And on the note of classes, there’s just…way too many, in my mind, and some of the split promotions feel so random. Fir promoting to Hero, mercenary promoting to Warrior, way too many Wyvern variations.

This one’s just personal, but I didn’t go anywhere near Valni/Lagdou. Their inclusion feels really random in FE6’s world, they just really don’t fit, and I don’t really think the extra grinding options are needed. Much like FE8, it just makes it too easy to over level your units and trivialize coming chapters. I do, however, absolutely love the traversable world map. The shops at each node feel super random though, but it is fun to just be able to walk all over Elibe, even if there’s not much to do.

The lack of route splits is slightly disappointing in the Western Isles arc, and feels incredibly weird in the case of Ilia/Sacae, not to mention the additional characters that have been added because of it. It’d be easy enough in the Isles to just add global flags to the two houses in chapter 9 that govern who you get later, since now visiting one house closes the other with literally no pay off for it. You just miss out on an item for no reason.

As for Ilia/Sacae, I really feel like the truncated Sacae route and it’s changes really make no sense. If you wanted to do both, why not just have Roy move south through Sacae after finishing in Ilia? Adding in all these extra characters really just adds to a problem I feel like FE6 already had in vanilla, which is character bloat.

And on that note, there’s just now…a bunch of new characters with no supports, very little story, and, in my opinion, little to no use in combat. No one’s really creating a niche that isn’t already well filled by the time they join your army, and as much as I hate to say it, pretty much all hit the bench immediately after I got them. FE6 already has a ton of characters, literally hitting the unit cap for this game, and if these new additions were cut, the only thing that would change would be the lack of a need to have to send home units, provided you still did the route split. Vanilla has 50 units per route, so having to send home units wouldn’t be a problem without all these superfluous additions. Though I’m never mad at a recruitable Galle, but even he adds to this problem. I get why you got rid of the route split, so that everyone can be playable, but really it just changes the timing of ‘Which units am I not using?’ from the route split points to the sending units home chapter. Kinda defeats the purpose in my mind.

There’s overall just a lot of superfluous bloat. Skills, characters, classes, items, there’s just way too much of everything with little reason. Really feels like this could use some streamlining.

But on things I did like, all the additional scenes and dialogue for side characters is really, really nice. Really makes it feel like they’re not just mooks with faces who join up and never speak again. They’re all very well written and in character in my mind too, so very well done on that.

The color palettes are chefs kiss. This game looks vibrant and crisp, and really makes it feel like it’s been updated from vanilla.

So, visually I really enjoy this, story wise I’m enjoying it right up until Sacae hits, and gameplay wise I’m just not having a great time, but it’s bearable. There’s just a lot going on, and I really feel like trimming some of the one-off extra stuff could do some good. But again, this is all my subjective opinion, this is your hack, so do whatever you like.

3 Likes

I second these.

I would even suggest no class skills at all, except for the default FE6/7 vanilla skills that take no slots, such as canto for horseback or steal for thief.
Characters have no skills before promotion. A char only get his/her skill(s) after promotion and level up to a certain level. No character will share the same personal skill. So every char is unique. In order to gain the skill earlier, it will require the player to promote him/her earlier, rather than delaying for lv20.

If not splitting the routes, then it will be awesome to design a way that Roy’s army will play through both routes.

Or, split Roy’s army, kinda like what FE10, have one group to go for the route A, and another group for route B. Isn’t that sad that Wade and Lott lose their chance to visit their own home and see their families in the West Isles?

Lastly, make certain (additional) characters as guest characters that can be only played during one or two certain chapters and they have to be chosen for that chapter. So that such guest character will not be kept to the end, maintaining overall number of player’s character under 50.

For example,
Marcus will retire at certain stage during the journey when Roy’s army grow large enough, and thus is not playable after Chap 8 maybe.
Wade and Lot will stay in the West Isles (not playable) after their liberation.
Some Etrurian nobles or/and generals will stay in their home country capital after it is regained by the Liberation army. etc.

1 Like

I would like to point out that Lot and Wade are mercenaries, so just because their home country is liberated doesn’t mean they will be quitting their mercenary work. Sorry if I sounded rude.
And yes I am aware that it is an example .

4 Likes

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how does one transfer save data from the old version to the bew updated one if someone is playong on android?

1 Like

just put the same name that is in the old save in the rom with the new patch that will work :+1:

Thanks for the help!

Which is why I’d hate to be a bother but I have this weird issue on both veraion where during the chapter 16 pre-fight convos the game freezes and i cant advance. Any idea on how to fix or what is causing it?

Others on Android have been having this issue too. Don’t quote me on this, but I believe the solution to the problem was to use a different emulator. The fix seems to be that you must use “mGBA”. Again, I’m only saying this from what others have done. Let me know if it works.

There are many ways to stop this use mgba emulator or spam click skip cut screen. Some one told me making speed 16x also works but i have not tried it idk if it works

I will choose to somewhat disagree on the units front at least.

They pretty much all of them ended up on my final team, sans florina and dayan, solely due to not having better options or units worth using, Lowen was better then every other cav I had trained, Lyn was the perfect choice for Ecksakes (or however its spelled), Rebecca was able to preform very well along side wolt.

Now for the only other thing I really feel like approaching in this is how sacae is handled.

There is actually a pretty simple fix/option. The church. In vanilla it is never actually explained how yoder gets the weapon of the route the player didn’t take. With the only real explanation being from conquering the region like roy would have, just having yoder, and one or two additional temporary “church” units, join up with eliwood for aid in claiming the bow.

1 Like

RE Tower of Valni

This is a great opportunity to refashion it as a Tower of Trials for Etrurian nobles, or possibly the tower you visit for the sacred weapon (the one with the thunderbolts).

It grounds the feature in FE6 worldbuilding and allows it to be fleshed out for new content. Enemies being monsters or phantoms (standard NPCs) are both great options. Treasures found throughout the maps can be thought of as relics left in the tower.

For the Lagdou Ruins, make it the lower levels of the Shrine of Seals, and even have a cool easter egg or reference at what lies at the farthest reaches below (referencing Hartmut’s decision).

5 Likes

A bug I’ve forgotten to report: the support viewer always shows the conversations between Echidna and Wade as locked, even though I did two playthroughs in a row unlocking them.

We’re probably past the point of suggestions for new content but, does zen have plans to create dragons other than the flame dragons?

1 Like

I believe Idunn can only create Flame Dragons, and the dev intended to make the story stay mostly the same and dont make too many changes to the world of FE6.

1 Like

Now, make a Randomizer version, even though I know this ain’t be happening

Aight, Aight, now for real. It looks nice, gotta try it later.

Don’t know if I should say this, but Chapter 18 ended on the turn after I killed Martel, before Roy reached the gate (I usually attack him with my flyers to reach him faster).

sounds like a great idea.

Say, where’s the dancer rings located?

You get the first dancer ring (Nini’s Grace)after you complete chapter 8x. You can’t use the ring until Elffin joins your party at the start of chapter 12. You can get Fila’s Might after chapter 12x, Thor’s aire after Chapter 16x, and Set’s Litany after Chapter 21x.

Alright, i gotta ask this question. In the FE6 manga, there are three characters (i don’t remember their names, sorry). Are they in the hack too/will they be added/don’t plan on adding them?

I’ve thought about adding them in.

Howvever, I’ve never personally read the manga and I’m positive the story is different from how it is in the game. That being said, it would prove to be difficult to try and incorporate the characters Al, Gant, and Tienna. There is already an issue of character bloat and the only reasonable way I could put them in is like Echoes added in the Cipher DLC characters.

Regardless, I don’t really plan on adding any more characters.

It would be a fun idea to revamp the story of FE6, but the amount of work and writing that needs to be done in order to make it happen without making it seem like a completely different game is difficult.