Fire Emblem: Eckesachs - FE6, but you play as the bad guys! [Complete story rewrite]

Are the recruitment conversation also unique as well?

1 Like

v1.3 released!

• Fixed an issue where units got blank endings if they had an A support with Zephiel.

Yes. Most of the game’s dialogue is entirely new.

3 Likes

Quick question: Why do the nomads (the identical ones) start with such bad stats? Is it due to them having the ability to promote over vanilla’s thieves, or is it to keep their utility in check or something? They die in like 1 hit and have comically poor damage. Just seems like kind of an odd choice

1 Like

WARNING: I should’ve thought this through earlier, but due to changing some global flags, if you update to v1.2 or 1.3 in the middle of a run, it can cause issues. Do not update if you’re between chapters 9 and 15, as it’ll cause problems with the appearance of one of the recruitables. Also do not update if you’ve already fulfilled the secret requirements, as the change in flag will render the secret unobtainable.

If neither of these applies, feel free to update and keep going. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

At this point I think I have confirmed that the global flags I was using for soem stuff don’t work properly pre-1.2. Turns out when you reset they somehow vanish. I didn’t think to try resetting when I ran my tests, so everything appeared to worked correctly. I’ve switched over to different flags that seem to work, but we’ll see how that pans out.

Update as soon as you can to fix the chapter 15 recruitable and the secret. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Yeah, they’re thieves on horses that can promote, I figured I needed to balance them out a bit to give Monke a fighting chance.

Finished it, not a lot of time to write up my thoughts but i had a lot of fun here.
I absolutely love how you nailed the original FE6 cast. Did a great job at making them all feel in character so the pain of their deaths could actually be felt. I do think some stuff went a little too far for the sake of shock value like Lilina’s corpse and Mordred’s torture, but it is very much meant to showcase Zephiel being absolutely despicable so it does work for what the narrative was aiming for.
Roy i think went too far to the point it felt ridiculous later on, but ultimately he did his narrative purpose well for Idunn’s arc so eh, it works enough.

Units were pretty fun to use in general too, the new classes worked pretty well and the game really felt fresh despite being mostly just FE6. My major complaint here is that Zephiel felt way too underpowered, for the most part Roy would have been more useful. I appreciate he wasnt one of those lords that can solo the game, but he was def way worse than he should.
The house and village dialogues were pretty funny, with the actual jokes and delivery from NPCs being all varied enough that it never felt repetitive despite the gag being mostly the same.

Ending spoilers

I do think Jahn’s death was unnecessary for how his character developed, i assume Mieu has plot armor? Her defeat quote really makes it sound like she dies, maybe have her show up in some story scenes with Jahn to help drive home their newfound connection for a player that lost her early.

Morgan x Sigune is otp, Peggy’s ending after all the effort she went through into being a killing machine made me laugh because i am a horrible person.

4 Likes

v1.4 released!

• Hopefully fixed an issue with chapter 22’s ending cutscene.
  • Slightly tweaked the hair on Zephiel’s combat palette. Highly experimental.
  • Fixed a route goof in the guide. Seriously, why do people call them route A and B? That tells me nothing about which is which, why not call it E for Echidna and B for Bartre…?

Thank you for the praise and the feedback both! With the endgame I did sort of embrace the cheese lol. It’s completely over the top, but what can I say, I enjoy writing that kind of stuff. Not to mention the portraits, those were a lot of fun to make too.

It surprises me that you felt Zephiel was worse than vanilla Roy. I thought between the claymore being better, promoting earlier, having better caps and mostly better growths, he should’ve at least beat Roy there. Oh well. Was it the speed that killed him or something?

Here are the spoilers

Mieu doesn’t have plot armor. I tried to keep it relatively vague and imply it could be a different (tiny) girl leading the rebellion if she’s dead. A bit wonky, I suppose, but the main plot had enough characters as it was and I’m one of those old-fashioned folks that doesn’t really like the idea of retreating characters. I already feel it’s too much that there’s four of those, having even more for less important stuff like a handful of endgame lines feels like too much to me.

Besides, I kinda like having the players watch her friendship with Jahn flourish by seeing their convos through themselves. Makes it feel more personal. Hence also why they get the only convo in the game that has a substantial reward.

As for Jahn, well… at least he dies a hero, content, having found friendship and kindness after spending much of his life being miserable and lonely. He did what Zephiel could not, and his death had meaning for it. It’s a better ending than most others got - better even than some of the ones who lived! Plus, you gotta get a tragic death or two in there so things don’t feel too perfect. Though that’s probably a bit of a silly thought, considering… the events of the entire hack lol

Also lololol Morgan x Sigune, I can’t believe I actually got someone to ship bossmen. My work here is done.

2 Likes

It was really probably the speed, yeah, but his other stats just werent particularly great either. I def had bad luck with him looking at his growths again though, and the earlier promo does help.
I think Roy sticks out more weirdly due to how “normal” the other characters go, but i really dont mind it all things considered. Made for an interesting final boss at least.

Spoiler

Interesting points on Mieu, i do like the idea of the payoff for her character arc being relatively hidden. As you said still a little wonky, but it does work well enough and if you dont feel like the extra effort would be worth it, then there isnt much of a point to go that far.
Jahn is just weird to me because while it is a good death for him, it still came across as being a bit much, perhaps? Not quite sure what would be the best way to put it, but i am not sure if him dying or surviving would change much about his arc. Comparatively, i thought Ein’s death made more narrative sense as a follow up to his chapter 22 dialogue with Idunn. But this is a pretty minor things in relative sense, i am probably just a bit bummed out about his demise lol.

Sigune x Morgan is just a funny thought lol. Helps that i went Illia where i got to see her boss convos there, made for a pretty short and sweet mini character arc for her when adding the Morgan convo and her own ending.
For another ending comment, Orlo’s really caught me off guard. I like how it more or less works off of Catalena’s recruitment lol, and considering he was used so heavily in my run and had Aureola, it felt somewhat rewarding considering many of my other evil characters just met perfectly deserving bad fates (Brunnya, Wagner, Arcado :[). Guerrero, Dory and Grigas were the true goats.

1 Like

For those wondering, the riddle is (idk if the password unlocks the riddle or what, I just highlighted the black boxes and pasted :sweat_smile:)

Summary

SECRET CHARACTER
Ch. 17A
SACAE ONLY

Before a full day passes from the onset, perform these two tasks:

1. Save the north-eastern village
  2. Vanquish the knight in green

Wait until the dawn of a new day
Somewhere in the dark, a new foe emerges
Talk with the one of no words

1 Like

Hm. Might have to consider a buff. We’ll see.

Ending spoilers

ngl that tells me I succeeded hahahahaa

Not just Catalena’s recruitment. His optional convos also see him attempting to recruit the most unsavory types in the army for his… “cause.” Though one’s easy to miss, since it’s with route-exclusive Nord. Maybe I should give him another one lol

Orlo was always my favorite bossman in the game, for reasons I mentioned in a response near the start of the thread. If there was one truly bad bad guy I was going to spare, I knew it would be him.

Wait, you can do that? I can’t do that on Excel! You using a different program or something? Dang it… Oh well, the password’s only the beginning, anyway.

1 Like

Seems super interesting! Couple of questions before I start, would you recommend I play through and beat FE6 before going through this? I got through about half of it back in the day. Also do you recommend normal mode or hard mode? I love a challenge and usually go for hard modes but if it isn’t play tested I’ll stick with normal.

1 Like

Aside from maybe feeling a bit less sad about killing playables, I’d say it’s not strictly necessary to have finished FE6, no. Baseline knowledge of it and FE7 should be enough. Gameplay-wise, it’s basically FE6 but with some of the annoyances struck out to the best of my ability. Hey, if you play this you get to say you (sorta) played FE6!

The hack was made with hard mode in mind. I know some people have played normal and it seems to work too. I’d say go for hard if you like!

v1.5 released!

• Added two new conversations: Orlo and Windham in chapter 15, Slater and Peggy in chapter 14.
  • Mary and Orlo, Sigune and Daniela no longer support each other. Orlo now supports Daniela and Mary now supports Sigune.
  • Carlyle can now be recruited without accessing chapter 16x. Guide has been updated with details.
  • Very slightly raised Zephiel’s skill and speed bases, as well as his speed growth. It’s a very small increment, I don’t want him to feel perfect in every stat, but 4 probably is too low a speed base lol
3 Likes

I will go Live at 1:30 pm MST

Chill fun stream, first time and iron man attempted
Youtube link below

GetLostGaming
rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2

4 Likes

Lost is streaming the hack! Check it out if you like.

5 Likes

v1.51 released!

• Fixed a couple typos.
  • Fixed an issue where Thoril had a C support with Monke at base.

Very small patch, honestly not worth updating, I just wanted to get this couple of fixes from the stream done before I forgot haha.

5 Likes

Stream 2 for this game will be tomorrow! 1pm Mst link down below! Enjoyed all of the support last time and looking forward to seeing everyone again!

rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2

New Link to stream https://studio.youtube.com/video/U2cJ2D3sV3Q/livestreaming

Live in 15 min be there to see more tick gaming!

1 Like

Does this mean u made the game easier? also i loved ur take on fe8 The Princess"s Lament, hope after i am done with this 1, that ull make something for fe7(rewrite story) too in the future!

1 Like

It’s definitely a tad easier than vanilla. The cast is also better than vanilla’s on average.

I’m not as fond of 7 as I am of 6 and 8, but who knows what the future holds!

2 Likes