Fire Emblem: Dark Lord and The Maiden of Light

That’s fine. I was wanting to know if I could make a few changes to it? (Nothing HUGE) Maybe try and see what it would look like if some things were adjusted whilest keeping it as close to form to what your hack was like originally?
Also, I am excited to see what future things you’re making! I’d enjoy playing them whenever they come out.

1 Like

Actually I’m really enjoying the game so far but where can I see the growth rate pls ? (I don’t have FEbuilder)

Growths aren’t intended to be visible in this game.

1 Like

Nah, sorry, I’d rather not let anyone else alter the game. I mean, I can’t stop you from doing it for fun or out of curiosity, others have done things like that before. But I wouldn’t let anyone do “official” changes besides myself.

its nothing i wanna change & post for you, i just wanted to do some for fun ones out of curiosity. That’s all.

Waiting for your future project ~

3 Likes

Just rereading this threat makes me smile. It’s been some time since I finished my first playthrough of this game, and I’ve done to separate playthroughs by now (one female tact, one male tact.)

I know a lot of people are quick to list certain FE8 hacks as their favorite fan projects, but this one just hit all the right marks for me. This game is probably my favorite full-length FE rom hack on the site.

Orion and (tact) were a great pair, especially as the plot went on, and Francine is probably my favorite Jagen/prepromote starter unit out of all the many Jagen-types from all the different rom hacks.

Summary

Male Tact x Francine for the win

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what the player phase theme is that plays during chapter 27-1

that’s the new mystery version of the holy war theme from FE3. i can’t find a link to the converted version i used for the life of me but i do believe it was done by agro.

1 Like

Hi, I was wondering who the Est in this hack is or if there’s even an Est at all? I love raising those units

Spoiler

Arjun.

Pretty worthwhile too imo.

Hey Ty, I think your hack is really great. I had a ton of fun playing your hack. I’ve sorta been lurking in the community until today, when I finally made an account. My thoughts on the hack are mostly good, and again I had a ton of fun playing the hack. I’m gonna do a 2nd playthrough soon. Just thought I’d let you know that I think your hack is great, one of the first I played. If anyone actually reads these, I suggest you play this hack.

P.S My friend found a funny glitch where in the ending cutscene, Fressia’s overworld sprite was replaced for one of the monsters.
Sorry I don’t have a screenshot rn, I will add if I find it.

Thanks for reading this.

Some of my favorite units included Orion (profane bld op), The Tactician, Freesia, Ty, Durga, Shermie, Arjun, etc.

Great characters, great story, thanks for making this hack.

I agree, one of the best hacks on the site, up there with The Last Promise, and Vision Quest.

So, how was I supposed to know that I needed to save 1 single lockpick or chest key for so many chapters just to wait for chapter 25 to roll in and show me that chest that I now have no way of opening because I was not sold or presented with any recent lockpicks to buy or steal??? And no way of guessing if the very elusive secret shops sold them or chest keys cause I never found any secret shop. I just hope it didnt have a legendary weapon in it, since I am missing the S Anima tome :frowning:

Hello, I’m in the chapter 16x and I can’t steal the member card, even if I restart the chapter I still can’t steal it. Is there any way to get the card or I’m ******?

If you’ve reached that chapter, you should have Shanks alive. I believe Shanks needs to get one speed growth to be able to steal the member’s card, if he’s at base speed. So feed him some kills in that map and hope he gets it.

Thank you very much, it worked :pray:t2:! I did not know that stealing was correlate with speed!

Been on a bit of a RomHack spree so I wanted to leave some reviews of the ones that I’ve finished.

I had a great time with Dark Lord and the Maiden of Light – the story was excellent and far surpassed my expectations for a fan game. The length of the game was solid with nice variation between chapters. I beat the game in ~40 hours (according to my save file). Thank you for an amazing game!!!

Gameplay: I enjoyed how this was just pure GBA fire emblem with no major changes to gameplay, just a nice adventure with the same mechanics that we love so much. I always like defense chapters so the abundance of them throughout the game was very much to my liking (Chapters 2, 11, 15-2, 16, 17, 24 and probably some more I’m missing). Chapter 3 was interesting with the poison gimmick but I didn’t realize at the time how often poison would come back in the hack so by the end I was tired of poison. Chapter 14 where you are running from the enemy was stressful and I only made it by the skin of my teeth – great chapter in my opinion. I liked the very brief route split (I took the Ahribaal route), I plan on playing it again to take the alternative route. I liked the multiple parts for Chapter 15 and 23, both of which did a good job of making the different parts have different game mechanics (defend, rout, whatever 23-2 is). The finale was a great culmination of that concept too.

Story: I thought the story was excellent. There were lots of interesting plot twists and all the major characters were interesting. Orion was an interesting lead character and his evolution throughout the story was very nice to see. I liked how the tactician was integrated into the story too. My first run I did with a female tactician, will do another with a male one as I realized that there are some supports that only go for the tactician if they are male/female. The framing of the world was done quite nicely and I liked how in the end not all conflicts were completely solved. It was a nice surprise to see Freesia suddenly become a major player in the mid-to-late game of the story (made a lot of sense though) as she had minimal involvement after her initial recruitment. It would’ve been nice to see her stay consistently part of the plot after her recruitment given her importance to the story though. The supports were enjoyable and the characters were a good balance of serious/grounded to joke characters. I also appreciated that not every character was conventionally “good-looking”, added some realism to the game. I thought there would be more paired endings then what I got but that may have just been my choice of support partners. Skimming other replies it sounds like you had to cut some supports but it would be neat if some more characters had paired endings with the supports they have.

Units

Orion – Consistently good from start to finish. He was good with Capricornus but once I got the Profane Blade he just wrecked everything.

Tactician – I think I was blessed with an amazing tactician, she was one-rounding enemies for almost the entire game. I initially used her as an anima user but her skill stayed so high I made her almost exclusively a dark magic user. The staff utility was just the icing on top of the cake.

Freesia – Freesia was a magic stat away from being almost as good as the tactician. Her stats here include some magic stat boosters which makes her look better as otherwise she was a fast magic user who didn’t get hit much but didn’t hit back for much either. She was a solid unit throughout my run.

Ashley – Amazing unit just took a little bit to get going but by late-game she was carrying me along with the tactician. Flying, capped strength/luck, decent speed and surprisingly high defense meant that she could do everything – mobility, dodge-tank, bulk for physical tanking and enough strength to one-round most enemies.

Kiri – Another amazing unit and another great, hard-hitting tank. From the moment I recruited her she was a mainstay. I could send her alone to solo waves of enemies.

James – Definitely a meme character but he was very solid unit for me throughout the run – in mid-game he was one of my best units and only fell off a little at the end when the magic users got a bit too strong for his low res. I’m not used to seeing fast axe users so his speed, for me, was a welcome surprise.

Arthur – I always have a staff bot, and Arthur was my guy. He was on permanent healing duty. Although his bulk was decent, his low speed meant that when he did get attacked he was usually doubled.

Shermie – Very similar to James in her being a joke character who was very solid unit who was a killer mid-game and fell off when the strong magic users appeared late game to attack her terrible res.

Niya – She danced for me. I appreciated that she could use staffs but there was almost never a situation where it wasn’t just better for me to dance another magic user to heal instead.

Egil – His high strength and bulk made him great at chipping away at tanky enemies especially given his relatively high skill. Low speed and res reduced his overall usefulness though.

Suzhen – She and Egil were a supported pair for me and it showed. She traded some strength for a passable speed (so she didn’t get doubled as much) and was not as useful out the gate. Overall, her bulk was better which made her a slightly better unit in the long-run though.

Jenna – Late addition and she didn’t always get deployed but she was reliable for high magic chip damage and staff utility.

Horton – Same story as James and Shermie minus the meme/joke component. He was a great unit for me until the strong magic enemies came. 1 res is just terrible.

Adda – Very late addition to my squad but she did her role well as an assassin. Her avoid was a bit low for my liking though so I had to be very careful with her.

I also used Fiana, Francine, Ronaldo, Yet, Maya and Zahhak. Maya and Zahhak were on my endgame team as they were both powerful units and with the other endgame additions they were invaluable in helping me hold down the bottom part of the final chapter.

I used Francine intermittently throughout the game but I never found myself dedicating a spot to her. She did have some MVP moments on some maps where movement was important though, especially early before my fliers got good. My Fiana got strength screwed so I dropped her for Ashley and then once I got Egil/Suzhen she got benched aside for occasionally being subbed in to help with rescuing/movement. Yet was a casualty of me having too many staff users and her offense being poor. I wanted to use Ronaldo but I didn’t do a good job of feeding him enough kills to become useful.

Is there a sequel in the works? The ending/epilogue definitely seemed to set something up and I would be excited to jump back in! Regardless, I plan on replaying it sometime and thanks again for a great game again!

6 Likes

Hey glad you liked it. People have been asking if I’ll do a sequel ever since I released this hack and I could only give a vague response since I had only ethereal ideas at best, even with the extra stuff added at the end. They all kind of go in different directions for only potential ideas I had. But lately I’ve managed to iron a lot of things out for something. I don’t want to promise anything yet still. It’s too early, stuff can happen, and I could just shelf it still. I can say what I’ve done so far at least. I have made about 40ish faces. I’ve made a battle animation and currently am working on another. I’ve made a couple of maps, 2 or 3 of them have actual chapter data to them I’ve inserted in the game. I’ve got the story’s ending and beginning ironed out, so I’ve got a starting point and know where to end it, which is probably the most important thing. And I am using FE8 because I’m interested in what I can do with the traversable world map, even if I am currently having a hard time understanding it. But yeah, that aside, again, I don’t want to promise anything. If it ends up not working out, I can always just show what I was working on. Since what meager stuff I have done so far is still a lot. In the end, time will tell.

12 Likes