FE8U - Trainee Emblem 8: An FE8 Hack for the Ewan Fans in the Crowd

People love trainees! And of course, as everyone knows, there is no such thing as too much of a good thing, so myself and a couple friends decided to take a joke way too far.

eir

The Depromoting

This hack is, first and foremost, a version of FE8 where every unit is downgraded by a tier. Unpromoted units become one of 11 different types of trainee, and each trainee class gets two choices on promotion.
gilli
Example: Gilliam becomes a Male Recruit, with the choice between Knight and Cavalier upon promotion.

Prepromotes, on the other hand, become Tier 1 units, while keeping their higher weapon ranks.
set

Every potential option has either a vanilla or custom palette.
gilneimi

Even some bosses join in on the fun!
oneil

Misc. New Things
  • The Hunter class is a version of Thief that uses bows over swords. Colm and Neimi can both promote to it, but the former will have to sacrifice his sword rank. It promotes using an Orion’s Bolt.
  • Most of the vanilla player phase themes have been changed to other songs. I’m pretty sure a lot of people are somewhat sick of vanilla FE8 music by this point, so I figured it’d be a nice change of pace. (You can find the credit for each song in the Sound Room. If the song doesn’t have a listed credit, you can assume the MIDI was either from the original game or made by me.)
  • 3 new characters have been added to the game. These characters join at the end of Chapter 6, the start of Chapter 17, and the start of Chapter 20 respectively.
  • There are a couple of new early items.
    thinspearfrelian
Other Changes
  • Chapter 2 has slightly weaker enemies than in vanilla. This is because it may have been a bit too hard otherwise.
  • The Bandit with a portrait in Chapter 5 is now considered a boss, and he brings a slightly different friend with him this time.
  • Ross has been made easier to save, as have Eirika route Dozla and L’arachel.
  • Ephraim route L’arachel and Dozla start as blue units, as does Innes’s squad in C10 of Eirika route.
  • Assassin has new caps and promotion gains. It also uses bows.

NOTE: AUTO PROMOTION IS NO LONGER AN OPTION FOR TRAINEES! THEY HAVE TO USE THE TRAINEE SEALS FOUND IN THE PREPS ARMORY AND CHAPTER 5’S SHOP!

The link to the download, credits, and the document containing information on the trainee promotions can be found here.

divinehunt

44 Likes

this is a good redux because moulder is a top tier unit

(Also because it clearly has nice attention to detail in countless places being more than just a rushed hack)

It’s weirdly a lot of fun?? I enjoyed playtesting and getting so many level ups so fast got me like
cash money

10 Likes

god there were so many fucking palettes dude you dont even know

5 Likes

A really interesting idea with lots of replayability! I’m gonna try it asap.

3 Likes

This looks very fun, i’ll give it a try.

3 Likes

I absolutely love this idea! I always loved trainee units because it gave me a sense of accomplishment in raising them up. Definitely playing this gem of an idea!

4 Likes

Hack is funny and good, play it!!

4 Likes

Quick question, are the growth rates changed at all?

2 Likes

Nope.

So are Ross/Amelia/Ewan wiped from existence being tier -1 now

9 Likes

I wish but unfortunately they got to stay :frowning:

8 Likes

Seems like Ross, Ewan, and Amelia are not the only trainees in this ROM hack.

They would be tier 0, aka non-playable

But palettes are the best part!

well fricking duh
you don’t say

11 Likes

The palettes are in but im saying they were most of the work

Big shoutouts to dainn to doing way more palettes in ~2 days than anyone should be allowed to in such a span of time

3 Likes

Let’s keep it civil.

Back on-topic, I spy Beta Eirika :eyes:

5 Likes

thanks for the insight

3 Likes

Natasha/L’arachel’s trainee classes are bugged and don’t promote, but I will fix when I can use my laptop (seeing family for Thanksgiving, didn’t bring it with me)

4 Likes

Also if possible please consider making their trainee class gain more exp from healing, cause it seems like they receive the same amount as Cleric/Priest/Troubadour.

3 Likes