[FE8] [COMPLETE] Call of the Armor v1 (20 chapters + 3 Character Selection Interludes) + Reverse Recruitment Patch (13-Apr-22)

@JrpgAddict - thanks for playing and glad you enjoyed the hack. I am not the primary developer - I’m one of fourteen people involved in chapter creation. Their names are all in the OP.

As for your comments on story, I’m not surprised given how we built the hack. Regardless, if it is coherent and you enjoyed it, then we achieved our goal.

Please see the below excerpts from the OP for more details about how we built this:

4 Likes

Immediately, like right at the start whether i save in-game or not. It just goes blank, makes a funny sound and stays like that

Since it right at the start i can’t even skip past it

Any ideas RandomWizard?

Have you tried a different emulator?

1 Like

Sorry for the wait.

We did most of our testing using the mGBA emulator. Could you try switching to that and seeing if that fixes it?

I will, do you know if i can use my current save state file at all?

It depends what format your current game is. If it’s “sav” or “srm” move it to its corresponding save folder.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue.

I figured it out yeah. Just move my sav. File to mgba

1 Like

Sekihoe if you having the same issue then save chapter 19 on vba then close the game. Download mgba and then play the game there. Locate you sav. File for the game and move it to mgba and you will be able to continue

2 Likes

If you press start on the house that recruits Mac and his ugly ass brother, Hazel will do a glitchy thingy

It’s been two weeks and I don’t think anyone really cared about the guessing game to begin with so here’s who did what:

Chapter Allocation

Oh yeah and the interlude submissions:

Interludes

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 2.30.54 PM
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 2.32.24 PM
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 2.32.30 PM

10 Likes

Are there any secret shops? I saw the member card was in a shop and wondered if it was worth it.

There are multiple secret shops, yeah.

Is there any indication as to where they are?

There is for some of them. If you want to know secret shop locations, you can open it up in FEBuilder and check the shops for each chapter.

I could never get FEBuilder to work for me. Couldn’t figure out how to make it English.

Played through this hack over the last week or so, had a good time overall. I was going to give this hack more of a serious review, but I don’t really feel qualified, because I had a pretty unique experience playing through the game, as I had some of the worst level up luck I’ve ever had in a romhack, and my units were consistently behind the enemy units, with only a few exceptions. I also experienced several bugs throughout the playthrough that have mostly been fixed since – My Drouin learned anima, I was never able to take advantage of ch 18’s core gimmick, and my dancer relearned magic partway through. With my growth screwed units, I also ended up heavily skewed towards low investment characters – Daisy only gained 1 stat in four level ups, Noki was worse than every other flier, Itoro could barely double, but Clothilde? Well, she would never let me down.

Anyway, because of all that junk, paired with the development process this game went through, going through everything I liked and disliked, talking about the story in-depth, etc. all feels a bit inappropriate. This was a more laidback kind of game, so I figure I’d give my thoughts in a more carefree way ^.^

Tierlist

No, I do not subscribe to the cult of Kilian, and y’all can’t make me.

Favourite chapter was probably 13, map had a really exciting pace with a lot of busy turns for me to work out without ever feeling overwhelming. Well done three way split with lots of objectives to go for along the way. I also really enjoyed chapter 19, it’s difficult to make a map so late and the game that feels both challenging, interesting, and fair, and this map pulled off all three without any side objectives, so kudos.

I took a lot of umbrage with chapter 18 during my playthrough, but I’ve heard most of my main issues were bugs or else have been resolved. I found there was also an early-midgame difficulty spike that, with my severely underpowered units, I was completely ill-equipped to handle. With exception to chapter 8, enemy units were often just better than mine, and I had to scrape together every advantage I could find just to survive these chapters. Fernandez was doubled by most enemies by this point, my combat units were mostly unable to double themselves, and one of the only units I could reliably use was my man Sunny D, who helped get me through this part of the game before promptly getting dropped like a rock once his speed became detrimentally low and Lily, one of my few units that turned out okay, took his place as #1 problem solver.

Eventually towards endgame my units started to make up for lost time and gain some good level ups, and so chapters 19 and 20 were much smoother than the rest of the game – over the course of chapter 18 alone, most of my consistently disappointing units started hitting crucial str+spd+def levels that kept them relevant through to the end, but that also means my endgame unit screenshots aren’t a totally accurate rendition of the state my units were in throughout.

Endgame Units

Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-36
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-37
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-38
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-39
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-40
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-41
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-42
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-43
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-44
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-45
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-46
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-47
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-48
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-49
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-50
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (USA, Australia)CLEAN-51
Yeah, I used more or less every flier in the game. Noki struggled to hit her growths, but everyone else turned out pretty damn good, and I honestly found that only a couple maps ever really kept my fliers in check in a relevant way. I was able to use them pretty recklessly overall. I also really highly valued staves – Kuijia didn’t get to C rank dark until the ch 18 wexp gimme, but she had A rank staves for most of the late game. Unfortunately, a lot of my staff users slowly went away over the course of the game, as Alair became a dancer, Weber was just kinda bad after a point, and my deploy slots continuously got more and more competitive as good units started joining the party.

Overall, I found this hack to be a nice relaxing romp, though a combination of bad luck and a jagged difficulty curve did prevent me from getting too cozy, as I never knew whether or not the next map had something crazy in store for me. Props to the dev team for managing to pull something cohesive out of such a unique development process! ^.^

6 Likes

How does Alair become a dancer? I’m on Chapter 14 and don’t want to miss it if it’s after this.