[FE8][Complete] Bells of Byelen (24 Chapters)

I’m on chapter 4, and Cleo and Loewe are all of a sudden Pegasus and Dragon riders? Loewe was previously just an archer and Cleo was a lord(hector like) class. But in this chapter that all changed for no reason? I am so confused.

1 Like

BoB uses the Dismount mechanic from Thracia where cavalry and flying units must become a different class to move and fight indoors. Cleo is an axe-wielding pegasus and Loewe is a bow-wielding wyvern outdoors.

OH. That is actually an interesting mechanic, never played anything like it. Thanks for the clarification, I legit thought it was a bug.

1 Like

I think the dialogue also points to their classes quite a bit before thos point

About halfway through Chapter 22 and found out there is a secret shop in the chapter and I did not bring the members card. Not going to reset to see what is in it, but has anyone discovered this on their first play through without any help? I’m dying to know what is in the shop since the Vendor has A rank spells and Staves.

I am doing a 2nd run and if any1 hates the Ftg system i found an easy solution using FEBuilderGBA:

SPOILER

Launch the romhack via FEBuilderGBA > go to new popup window debugger > Etc tab > go to 00=player dropdown > double click whoever u want to make ftg to 0 > go to the stat ???3 double click and change it to 0 then write value

(Make sure the Automatic Update is vinked on , on the right side of the debugger window)

Do with this information what u will :ok_hand:t6:

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a pretty neat trick, but I have another one you could try too - it’s actually even simpler, believe it or not. Doesn’t even require Builder.

SPOILER

While applying the .ups in NUPS, instead of clicking the “Patch” button, click the red X button instead. Then, launch the .gba file as usual. This way, when you launch the game, you can play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, a game with no fatigue system.

Hoping this alternate method helps more people enjoy the ideal Bells of Byelen experience.

28 Likes

Will do as soon as i am done with this hack, thanks for the advice bro! I love No FTG !! No tediousness! :+1:t6:

1 Like

Im not a fan of it generally but im learning to enjoy it in order to better understand what the creators are trying to do with this. The enemy growth seems low enough that its not a big deal

3 Likes

Bug report

I’m on chapter 9 and everything seemed normal up until the very end of the chapter where although I had escaped with both Cleo And Loewe the level did not end, game is on lock because the only units on the map are enemy ones but it does not end

Edit: oh yeah and I’m also really flippin enjoying the game, it’s pretty damn well made

1 Like

On Chapter 19, either by having Tara die or by clearing the chapter below 10 turns, the Kaizerschwert is effectively voided.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the game. The bug is likely due to the issues mentioned under Known Issues, which is that if you try to Escape last with a unit being rescued, it may cause problems. I’d try again with no one rescued, and you should be fine if you do.

2 Likes

Yeah… I imagined it was something like that, thanks for the help

First, I think the highest weapon you can obtain is A based on my current playthrough (I coud be wrong though). As for the secret shop, it’s the gate right next the barrels on the port. It has some decent items like a wide variety of weapons and staves (sleep and beserek), but they are nothing to write home about.

1 Like

As someone who wasn’t a big fan of Thracia 776 (felt a bit too slow for me and did not end up finishing it), I will say that this game has some strong hits but nagging misses.

Pros:

Summary
  • Compelling and captivating story (like Thracia 776, I guess)
  • Generous weapons utility
  • Scrolls and funky growths when you are lucky! Also, thanks for the scrolls. Shame that they don’t stack though :frowning:
  • Great world builiding (like Thracia 776)
  • Although there are underwhelming units, no one felt terrible. Also, compared to Thracia 776, units can be used for the entire game. There is a good balance between usable pre-promotes and growth units especially with the balanced exp gain.
  • Although there are secrets, unlike Thracia 776, they are not game breaking with a few exceptions of course.

Cons:

Summary
  • Feels slow in the beginning especially when your units have low bases and the capture mechanic is extremely essential.
  • The plot twist, though pretty good, could have a landed a bit better if he had a bit more context about the final villain.
  • Fatigue system. I personally don’t mind it, but I really wish that there was an item like a S-drink. Sometimes, there were moments when I felt irritatated benching a fatigued unit I wanted to use. But at least, the final chapter reset the fatigue to 0, which was nice.

Compared to Call of the Armor, which is a good game but a few flaws, this game was definitely an upgrade from the telephone game process. Hope to see more what you have in store for us!

1 Like

Never played Thracia so I’ve never seen the capture mechanic before.
I’ve been thinking this whole time “man, this game seems hard! carrying an entire enemy team hostage to all these escape points feels difficult.”
And then I read how the capture mechanic actually works and now I feel like an idiot. The extra difficulty of always getting doubled did inspire some interesting tactical thinking though.
I can’t give my full thoughts just yet, but I’m loving all the characters so far.

6 Likes

Naaah, this one is a classic. Don’t worry Archer, you are not the only one to go through that :rofl:

1 Like

Very enjoyable romhack. Overall, I ended up finding it much easier than CoTA and Tales of Kotor, which was a welcome change of pace. I don’t have much input to give this time around, since I think that was your best work so far and anything you continue to put out will only improve going forward.

Final Team

Bug Report

During the final fight, I ended up using a Berserk staff on one of the 4 Heroes since I thought it’d be prudent to bring a few status inflictors. Every enemy in the entire level then began to wildly attack eachother. I’m not sure if the Phantoms are supposed to fight one another, but I’m also certain this is not intended. Sorry if this has already been reported a ton already.

2 Likes

Is it possible to recruit Mifan?

Nope.

1 Like