[FE8][Complete] Bells of Byelen (24 Chapters)

To be fair, my memory is spotty and I beat this hack like…3-5 months ago.

As per those units, you don’t know about Thraica 776’s infamous chapter 6 do you?

I thought I fixed this bug, but I’ll have to double check. Units left behind are gone for good.

1 Like

Is there any benefit of saving Hernandez? Saving his crew is nigh-impossible. They could have been possible if Hernandez and his crew spawned on 3 or 4 turn but definitely not on the second.
//EDIT: Turn 3 Hernandez crew is all dead turn 4 Hernandez himself kicked the bucket. Didn’t manage to save any of them :joy:
//EDIT: What is the optimal number of units for player to train? Usual deployment is limited to 10-12 form what I noticed. 12-18?

Hernandez

To my knowledge, no. He only appears if you saved him in Ch2. Pretty sure it is expected for him to go out in a blaze of glory, and I do not think we set any additional flags for him being alive at this point.

As for units, hard to say what’s “optimal”. The way the EXP formula works, you can get away with using whomever really. In my runs, I’ve generally at least attempted to use everyone and roll with the RNG as I refine the squad based on fatigue availability and overall need / desire to train. I think most of the dev team playtest the hack with a somewhat similar mindset.

The EXP formula encourages spreading EXP around because of how generous it gets if you’re below level and stingy if you’re above – so funneling EXP into too few units would generally not be ideal given this and fatigue forcing the occasional benching.

1 Like

I can confirm that on pizza boy pro and probably on basic version too the game do not hang on chapter 12 turn 10.

Thracia you get those units back in 21x.

yeah but this game is not thracia

also ive beaten bob twice and i used like 25 units both times

Wondering if anyone has encountered the same bug as me and found a workaround. In Ch 21 I always get left hanging indefinitely waiting for the turn 6 player phase to start after the two thieves pop out of the cave where Cephalid is. After the turn 5 other phase they show up and target cursor appears over Cephalid/the cave, if he’s dead, as if a line of dialogue is to follow but never does. Unit idle animations playing but no control.

Tried a couple of chapter restarts. Tried blocking the cave and tiles they come out on, but they just go to the nearest open instead. Using retroarch and have tried the same save file on beetle, vba-next, and mGBA cores.

Sounds like a new bug, I can take a look at the event and patch a fix sometime today.

Geeze that’s a prompt response, thank you! I’m using the 1.4 patch applied to a USA FE8 rom.

TBH it wouldn’t prevent me from replaying the game the game from the beginning. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the hack: lots of nice map design with great use of reinforcements, but most of all I love the Thracia mechanics they’re well done here. Really impressive work.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. Though the game does diverge a lot from Thracia in some ways, it is primarily meant for people who liked it to enjoy Bells of Byelen as well.

I’ve gone ahead and uploaded the fixed patch here, it’ll still have the same name as the last one (1.4) but with the fix added to it silently. It was happening because I very recently changed a unit ID for one of the thieves that chapter to fix their name, but one of the events in the chapter specifically looked for that unit ID, which caused crashes. Pretty quick fix though, you should be able to use your old save here.

Amazing, thanks!

I actually grabbed FEBuilder for the first time today to examine the event myself and found the same fix by setting one of the thieves ID back to 64. Cool tool, I like the emulator debugger. So I pleasantly got some exposure to FE rom utilities as a bonus.

Anyways, your timely support is above and beyond. My appreciation to you and the rest of the team behind Bells of Byelen.

1 Like

Hey, something I noticed in comparing the ch21 turn 5 event in new patch and my workaround in FEB. There’s another command looking for that specific unit ID which is involved in giving one of the thieves the Dreedur scroll. So when I set one of the thieves’ ID to 64, they end up carrying the scroll, but in the patch the scroll does not show up. Not sure if it is intentional or not.

No that’s unintentional, thanks for pointing it out. I’ll fix that in a bit.

Edit: Alright, all the Chapter 21 issues related to those bandits should be gone now. Thanks for reporting them, and I’m glad it at least turned into a chance to learn a bit about hacking :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The patched version don’t seem to work on android pizza boy emulator (old save). Gonna try it and see if it works on pc mgba. Never mind reloading the rom in the pizza boy fixed the issue.

I don’t know why but Cleo and Emil have minus stats when I started play this game in chapter 1. Is it normal?

They are mounted characters, so they are suffering from dismount penalty.

I see, thanks for the information. I don’t know that.

So, for chapter 7… is there any reason to keep the enemies alive? I saw there was a sleep staff on sale, which made me curious.

Also, the twins are an amazing idea! With their support, they are strong. I also like the Easter egg that allows them to get their preferred’s. Such a great concept. Reminds me of Olwen/Reinhardt optional convo.

1 Like

There’s no reason in particular, no. The main thing is to capture them for their stuff.

2 Likes