[FE5] [Complete] Fire Emblem: New Theory of Thracia 776

As you know, the range of staves in FE5 is 1 or infinite. I think this is pointless, since displaying the range on the map will just turn the whole map area green. But I understand that you want to see if there are enemies who use the staff, so it seems that there should be some other mechanism. (I have no idea at this time what mechanism we should have.)

It disappears in conjunction with turning off the unit window. There is currently no way to turn off the bottom display only. In the future, I would like to allow individual settings on the options screen, but it will require a bit of major restructuring because I have used up all the available space on that screen.

1 Like

Updated. Added the function to toggle the display of the stats view at the bottom of the screen. This option is now in the hidden options screen. (The hidden options screen can be accessed by opening the Options screen while holding down the R button.)

This update also includes the following. These fixes do not necessarily affect gameplay and no problem without updating, but it will make the game more pleasant to play.

• Changed to not reset the current position of random numbers when resetting the random number table. In vanilla, people said that the random numbers used were skewed, sometimes resulting in unfavorable hits and misses for players because the table is always read from the beginning after resetting the table.
  • Fixed flickering of the unit window display when the cursor is continuously moved and there is a unit at the destination. Not draw the window erasing and redraw the window after preparing the next window to be displayed.
  • Fixed a problem where the process is reversed when the hit detection was set to 2 or 1 (when set to 2, it had processed with 1RN, and 1 was 2RN).
  • Fixed a problem with Eliu moving to the cliff in the opening demo.
  • Fixed the description of the skills “Royalguard” and “Pierce”. Performance is unchanged.
2 Likes

Updated. Fixed a problem with the win count on the status screen would be overwritten with an incorrect value when a weapon effect granted a break or sleep state.

1 Like

Hi, Im in chapter 7 currently and Im wondering why cant my nanna mount on her horse? I tried without any swords and it still didnt work and its a big pain, is it a glitch or something? because 5 move no staves really sucks and I want to use her.

I made her unable to ride the horse in her initial state because it is unnatural to be able to call her own horse as soon as she is freed from captivity. If all of the following conditions are met, she will be able to ride at the end of Chapter 7.

• Finn and Nanna are alive.
  • Finn and Nanna had a conversation in chapter 7. This conversation explains why she cannot ride the horse. (This conversation is only required in Classic mode.)
  • Nanna has not changed her class and is not rideable.
Why is it necessary (or not) to have a conversation with Finn?

Hannibal gives her a horse if requested at the end of Chapter 7, but Nanna is too reserved at this time to request a horse on her own. If Finn knows about her situation, he will request on her behalf.

In casual mode, even if Finn and Nanna do not have a conversation, Finn will request. This is because Finn or Nanna may retreat before the player realizes the conversation exists.

1 Like

One funny homage I found out through gameplay in New Theory was that to remedy Arthur’s low spd growth, you would logically give him the Ced scroll.

The person who gets the Ced scroll first is Fee which means you’ll have her trade it to him. In Thracia, it’s said that being given the Ced scroll by a royal of Silesse is akin to a marriage proposal.

1 Like

Until now, the game is going fine, but I have some complaints:

1. The English is a bit poor, with some mistakes and misspellings.

2. I can’t discard my broken items! Can you fix that?

3. And why Nanna can’t use swords while mounted?

4. Don’t you have a way to make us able to see what the shops are selling in the deployment?

Here is one example of the misspellings.
I believe it should be “because he is jealous of his reputation”.
It is just one example, but I don’t know who could help you to look after these mistakes in the script.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will respond to each of them.

As for the English, if you could send me screenshots of anything you think is wrong, I would consider fixing it. It would be best if you could suggest revisions, but just pointing out the weirdness would be good. If you don’t feel comfortable writing here, you can contact me by DM in FEU or my Twitter account.

I don’t know how English speakers will feel about texts because English is not my first language. There are many people who say behind my back about the poor English, but very few can tell me specifically what is wrong, which is very troubling. I hope you can be the one to help me.

I will fix them in the next update.

Nanna (Troubadour) cannot use a sword while riding is because she is too powerful if she can use both a sword and a staff. For example, the Sword Knight can only use a sword, but if the Troubadour could use a sword and a staff, Sword Knights would be out of position. Therefore, I unified the lower cavaliers to use only one type of weapon. As a compromise with the original, I took them to be able to use a sword when they dismount.

This is currently impossible and difficult to realize. I cannot do it right away.

2 Likes

Of course I would suggest revisions! If you want, I could revise it myself. English is not my native language either, but I’m sure I can do a good research and revision. Do you have a script with the dialogues for me to revise? Then I can make the changes and send back to you, so you can give the “ok”.

I think I understand what you are trying to do, something closer to the GBA games, but this shows up another problem that annoyed me while playing: The game looks very unbalanced in matters of attack and defense power. Sometimes, even crits give just 1 HP damage, while the enemy can kill my units with a hand tied, especially the weaker ones. This look pretty abnormal to me. Kinda forces me to use special weapons to be able to fight properly, turning useless the normal weapons, or even weaker characters, like Kallion and Machyua, whose I’m struggling to level up because of this problem.

I believe this unbalance is a major problem in games like Fire Emblem 5, because it was the balanced system that made possible and necessary that characters like Nanna use weapons together with staves. FE4 and 5 depends a lot on a balanced system to be fully enjoyable, because it is a game that needs you to strategize in every turn. A balanced system is what makes a hard game fair, so that is something we have to take seriously.

When I reached chapter 11x this unbalance annoyed me the most: I was unable to use half of my characters in the battle because they kept dying at the balistrariae. I believe it will be worse in the next chapters, especially the final ones, that are indoors too. I don’t have problems with infinite waves of enemy reinforcements, because we are fighting against a huge empire, against all odds, but these enemy units need to be built fairly.

Furthermore, I like games that force me to think and strategize, but chapter 9 reinforcements for example pissed me off, seriously. They aren’t absurdly strong, so I can kill some of them, but they had weapons that killed my units easily. That is unfair! The game is already unbalanced, and then I have to fight wave after wave of dracoknight bosses? No way, this is to force me to play the way the game wants, to tie my hands. I fear for what will come after me in the Battle of Tahra.

Sorry if I looked angry. The hack have a lot of potential, and I’m getting a lot of fun out of it, and that is exactly the reason why I’m questioning the gameplay style. Maybe it is only my opinion, so it can be very wrong, but I think this kind of gameplay is forced and unfair, exactly the opposite of the original idea for Kaga FE.

How fatigue works in this hack? The more you have, the less you can move?

I want to talk to Tina, but I can’t. What is happening? (I relieved her fatigue with S Drink)

Yeah, being able to deploy fatigued units with less move is cool but when they become fatigued during a map it gets so tedious to get them to escape and they become such a liability I don’t even wanna bother with them anymore. I like that you tried to spice up the fatigue but I think it was fine how it was. Punishing but not too punishing. Is there a way to toggle how fatigue works?

Now, I’m blocked to continue the game because I can’t recruit Tina. I will wait for @fe5_ai to answer.

I was thinking about a thing now: if we have the FE4 children characters in our party, then Seliph will have the substitutes in his and vice versa. Of course, not everybody of the children, neither of the substitutes will be in our party, but it would give an explanation to why we can have only the children or the substitutes in FE4.

You could put the Destroy skill as a class skill for armor units, what do you think?

I’m seeing the list of characters you can recruit in the game and my question is: why Illios is in there? Sleuf was cut off, why he wasn’t? And I would like to know why Sleuf was cut off, if he is the one who recruits Amalda in the original game. And why Kempf is a playable character? I mean, what you changed in the story to make we want to recruit Kempf and Illios in the first place? In the original game, Kempf dies as the bastard he is and Illios only have a nobility complex, he does nothing to the story. Both could be cut off, and Sleuf could substitute them.

There is a link in the reply below.

This zip is a bit out of date and has been partially modified in the current patch, but the general content has not changed. Please also read the notes about the notation specific to this file.

In vanilla FE5, we could continue to fight with iron weapons until the end game, but I think this spoils the fun of taking enemy weapons, so I make it necessary to periodically take enemy weapons and update them. Even units that start with a sword weapon level of D can use Armorslayer, Rapier, Slim sword, etc., so there will always be a way left for them to do damage.

I wasn’t sure what you were referring to as unfair, is it unfair if the enemy brings a stronger weapon than allies? In this game you can take away the enemy’s weapons and most of them can be used by your allies as well. This system is neutral and fair in most cases.

There are few ways to get weapons in FE5 other than robbing, and if you do not prefer this method, you will always be overpowered by the enemy weapons. This is true to varying degrees, even in vanilla.

I don’t think a slow picnic on escape maps is the game balance the original author intended. The idea of this hack is mainly based on Berwick Saga and Mr. Kaga’s blog to reflect his latest thinking (at the time. Vestalia Saga had not yet been released when I started adjusting this hack.)

The requirement that everyone should escape within a certain number of turns often appears in Berwick Saga. This hack doesn’t cause the game to end immediately if the number of turns is exceeded, but it becomes very difficult. There are no surprise reinforcements on these maps, Augusto will warn you before reinforcements arrive.

But I will weaken these in normal mode, as these reinforcements in chapter 9 were excessive. I intend to make normal mode easier than vanilla FE5.

For Mov, if Fatigue exceeds the Maximum HP, Mov is reduced by 1 for every 8 Fatigue. It is tied to a multiple of 2 because this was implemented when I was new to the asm programming. I actually wanted to make the decrease a bit more gradual, so I hope to change this in the near future, but right now I have a tight deadline for another work. Please wait a while.

It is not possible to talk to other units in a silenced state. This is a specification inherited from vanilla (about the enemy. In this hack, you can’t talk from your allies even when they have a silenced state).

There is no way to cure the enemy’s condition in chapter 12x. The only way is a reset in this case.

It is difficult because do not have extra slots for class skill display. I think I can add those displays, like the added unique skills, but it requires writing a new program.

I don’t remember exactly, as it was a long time ago when I changed it. Perhaps Kempf was implemented as an experiment for an event where units that did not originally join would join. This sacrificed Sloof, which was a unit that joined on the same map. (The reason it was not Ilios is because it is a replacement for Olwen, so crushing him would not increase the number of slots.)

There are several places in this hack where I don’t think this should be done with current technology because it has been built up over the years. I’ve fixed some jokes that really can’t be helped, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to destroy them all, and some remained for the fun of the difference from vanilla. In any case, in the future I will give all those who once disappeared a chance to join in some way. Just like Ralph.

1 Like

What I mean by unfair is that we are fighting infinite reinforcements that have similar strength and weapons as the boss of the stage. And with the game’s weapons balance changed, we are easily overwhelmed by them. We can kill some, but we can’t kill all of them before the next wave comes. And then we start to be overwhelmed. This is what I call unfair.

I played Berwick Saga, that was another reason for questioning, but seeing your line of logic, I can see your point. I believe it would be something like “If you are going to stay, so you are accepting the risks” and I can agree to that. I accepted the risks, but didn’t imagine it would kick my ass so hard. Fair enough, I will not do this mistake again.
But if you are going Berwick Saga style, so I think you should not play with the weapons, but with the numbers. As I said before, I don’t care with infinite reinforcements (especially because Berwick Saga), but I think that the normal enemies should be that: normal. You may play with their levels, stats and quantities of enemies, but I don’t like the idea of fighting a swarm of bosses, because I feel that the game is punishing me for staying, as if I did something wrong, that I shouldn’t be doing. That is what I think it is unfair. I think that if we fight against a swarm of normal enemies, we can fairly do as the game wants. I can feel that I’m fighting an army with just a bunch of people, it is a more natural overwhelming.

I see, I will try again, so. But now that you said it: It should be a limit for fatigue. My Saffi was with 95 of fatigue until even I noticed that. Damn! Now that fatigue doesn’t stop you from deploying units, it kinda becomes banal and trivial. I think you could kinda mix the two ideas of fatigue, with it slowing your unit down, because we get fatigued in the mid-battle, so makes sense for us to be slowed down by it, but when deploying, I think we should not be able to deploy tired units, for it to not become banal.

But, with no further questions for now, I would like to thank you for the hack. I know that I can be very annoying and perfectionist with my questions and suggestions, but I just do it with things I like and that I see that can be perfect. I really believe this hack can be a “model” for SRPG games/hacks in FE5/Berwick Saga style. If someday I create my own game or hack, I would like to follow this model, like a “template” lmao.

1 Like

its also not possible to try and talk in sleep state. Believe me, I tried that with Hannibal in Vanilla.

I agree. As you said, if the allies are overwhelmed by the number of enemies, they will eventually reach a stalemate. Infinite reinforcements do not have to be too powerful. It also doesn’t feel good to have so many nameless people who are stronger than the boss. I will fix it.

The maximum fatigue has been increased to 200. Perhaps no one wants to go out a unit with 200 fatigue. Fatigue units being able to sortie is based on the idea that players should be encouraged to choose not to send them, rather than being limited by the system. It is simply because I do not like being limited by the system. The same goes for limiting the number of sortie members. I designed it to maintain a state where the system allows everyone to send a sortie, but players don’t want to send everyone a sortie.

For those who want to suffer a lot of fatigue, hard mode is available. In hard mode, fatigue increases by 1 for each action.

Thanks again for your suggestions and feedback. I’m willing to fix any issues that need to be fixed, even if they are minor.

Updated. The following contents are included.

• Changed the “Send” command can be used for broken weapons.
  • Changed for Chapter 9 that Lenster Army will return to their positions when no enemy is within their attack range. They were too suicidal, but a little better now.
  • Removed Slender Spears from reinforcements after turn 28 of Chapter 9. And reduced their level, and the number of appearances in normal mode.
  • Changed to appear Largo and his stats can be viewed at the preparation in Chapter 10.
  • Fixed the English dialogue at the start of Chapter 10.
  • Changed the indication of dead units from “Killed in Action” to “Casualty” in the ending. It was necessary to change the wording to be ambiguous because some units contradict the content of other units when their death is confirmed.
  • Some changes to the Japanese font.
About the corrections to the dialogue in Chapter 10

I fixed the dialogue in Chapter 10 as follows.

He is jealous of General Reinhardt’s fame and harasses you as his sister

It is a shameful act for a military man.

The original Japanese text of this section is:

ăƒ©ă‚€ăƒłăƒăƒ«ăƒˆć°†è»ăźććŁ°ă‚’ćŠŹă‚“ă§
ćŠčぼあăȘăŸă«ă„ă‚„ăŒă‚‰ă›ă‚’ă™ă‚‹ăšăŻăƒ»ăƒ»ăƒ»
ăŸăŁăŸăă€è»äșșăšă—ăŠæ„ăšăčăèĄŒă„ă§ă™ăȘ

The original text explicitly states that Kempf is jealous of Reinhardt’s fame. I have retranslated to be more faithful to the original.

2 Likes