FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Well technically the female is the hooded version. Im not going to make it, but it would be easy to copy the hooded female head over the male body.

and staff animation?

1 Like

Honestly, I forgot about a staff animation since i didn’t have the intention of making it. But I will consider making one anyway.

1 Like

Male and female pegs with staves? Pretty cool! Are these intended to go in any existing peg folders, or are they standalone?

2 Likes

I made them with the intention they’d just go in the vanilla peg. knight and the SixThousandHulls’ male peg. knight folders respectively since those were the animations I used to make them.

(^o^)/╰(´︶`)╯♡(^o^)/

1 Like

Sorry.
I forgot to put the flash in the first frame of Firestone’s animation.
So, I’ll fix it again.

We’re approaching 2,000 posts in this topic. If you don’t count deleted posts, we’re at 1955, but if you do count them, we’re at 1986! Wow, that’s pretty crazy.

This week I started a new project. This project is an amalgamation of many things. At its core, the main purpose is to figure out the Repository’s issues, improve it overall, and make it easier to navigate. I want to locate animation ‘holes’ and fill them, as well.

What is an animation ‘hole’? I use this term to mean when there are two or more animations that serve a similar purpose, but one or more of them are missing something the others already have.

As an example:

The Male Journeyman has a sword animation, but the female does not. That is a ‘hole.’ One thing I really want is for every single class to have a male and female variant, and for those classes to share weapon types. This goal is almost certainly not going to happen, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try to improve it with my knowledge of the Fire Emblem Animation scene.

So, here is what I’ve done. I have started building a gigantic image with a still from every single folder in the animation repository.

(Click the image to see a bigger version)

The above image is ONLY the Infantry folder in the dropbox. Everything on that sheet is in order of how it appears in the repository when sorted by name. I have yet to actually include any folder names, because wow, there are literally hundreds of folder names to copypaste :X

I’m still working on the image. I plan to add the Lords folder to it, as well as Magi, Armors/Cavalry, Fliers, and Monsters. Doing just one of those folders took me three days… so you can imagine how much more work there is ahead of me.

In any case, let’s have a little look at my results so far.

• There are countless animations that lack Unarmed frames. This is likely because many new spriters neglect to add them. I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but adding these unarmed frames would be a great goal.

• Along with the previous issue, it’s kind of amusing that animations like the thieves have unarmed animations that are identical to their weapon-carrying forms.

• Some folders include a class card and map sprite. I’m not sure if I should make this a bigger recurring theme, or move all the examples to the actual class and map card positions.

• A few folders have sprites with different palettes inside the same animation. They probably look fine when put ingame, but it still seems odd.

• Some animations have extra weapon types, which are great… unless you want uniformity ingame but also to use these cool animations. If I want to include female warriors with magic and staves alongside my male warrior with magic and staves, I can’t. Also, sometimes the extra animations are built upon the original, poorly paletted versions of animations, and not the superior repaletted versions. This is just an unfortunate issue I don’t see any easy resolutions to.

I will be writing a more comprehensive post in the future about the issues I’ve found. For now, though, I think this is a good start! More to come in the coming weeks!

24 Likes

I think this would look more organized it you added some horizontal lines/rows.

There are 288 top-level class folders inside the Infantry root folder. I’m not going to draw 288 red lines :confused:

Furthermore, what would that actually add to the image? Every horizontal row is already quite apparent. Other than -slightly- lining up the 800 stills a little better, it won’t do much of anything.

This is actually a really great idea, I also feel that some animations were missing compared to others. Like some classes don’t have female variants where I wish they did. Maybe you can either make them yourself, or us the community would have to come in and help finish the repo’s many missing sprites

2 Likes

This definitely seems like a good sort of thing to have on hand, maybe for people starting to work on making animations and wondering “Hm, what’s missing that I could try and contribute?” For example, the lack of unarmed animations stands out to me as something I’d maybe like to try and make just for completion’s sake and because they’re simple.

1 Like

I’ve just finished the second folder, Lords. Took me about 3-4 hours of work, spread out over 10 hours in one day.

(Click image to enlarge)

Spoilers: Der and Nuramon’s lords are freaking awesome.

I’ll have more to say later, once I’ve gotten the other 4 root folders completed. Still have Magi, Cavalry/Armors, Fliers, and Monsters to do.

Note: I changed up the format for this image. Now, animations are lined up according to the item type in the repo. Swords, Lances, Axes, Handaxes, Bows, Magic, Staves, and Misc. I put Unarmed to the far left because I wanted those to be the ‘baseline’. If an Unarmed isn’t there, it should be 90/100 times. I’ll update the Infantry sheet to match, but later.

8 Likes

You’ve still got a lot of work to do, but keep it up

lucina :thinking:

4 Likes

Update 3: I have added all of the Magical users to the third sheet. I also specially edited this sheet to be much smaller, because magical users are surprisingly uniform. It’s listed as unarmed animations, magic animations, staves, and any applicable physical weapons all in one spot at the end.

(Click image to expand)

This project had more folders than the Lord section, but less images overall because magi tended to only have staves or magic, sometimes both, and very very rarely 3+ animations. It only took me about 4 hours to complete, and that’s with me dicking around in the middle.

I find it kind of amusing how many folders have a Magic animation and an unarmed animation, one which is literally just the Magic animation but with fewer frames. Seems pointless. We could probably cut those out of the repo to save space! I’ll keep them for posterity’s sake, though. The only unarmed animations that matter are when the default class is holding a staff in their standing pose; an unarmed frame without a staff is nice in those cases.

One thing I haven’t mentioned here are my goals for this little still-assembly-project. Yes, I want to locate the holes in the animation repo, but I never do a big task like this for only one reason. Smart people accomplish several goals at once.

1. I want to locate the ‘holes’ in the repo.
  2. I want to get a big visual of what’s even available in the first place in the repo for my own purposes.
  3. I want to totally restart and rework this old class promotion chart for FE8CM. I’m planning to work on FE8CM in the near future, but I’ll be toning it down to have fewer classes and higher quality.
  4. Before FE8CM though, I want to make two small-scale romhacking projects called FE7 Enhanced and FE8 Enhanced. These projects will have a variety of small but impactful goals, but the most relevant to this conversation is that I want to add -all- of the character-specific animations from the repo to their respective games. As an example:
Animations

Take note that these are only the magic user animations, not any of the infantry, lords, cavalry, or other such characters.

FE7 Erk:

FE7 Lucius:

FE7 Serra:

FE7 Priscilla:

FE7 Pent:

FE7 Nino (Flier Promo too?)

FE7 Kenneth:

FE7 Limstella:

FE7 Ursula:

FE8 Lute:

FE8 L’Arachel:

My goal with any big project is always to complete or work toward multiple objectives simultaneously. This project will also, hopefully, be useful for other people in putting together promotion sheets of their own, figuring out what classes to use in their projects, and so on. Unlike the old Animation Directory, the Repo is a bit hard to navigate, so having all of the animations (up until y’all spriters start pumping out 500 more and I fall behind due to lack of updates) in the same spot will be invaluable for projects of that type.

…Anyway! The magi are done. I’ll probably tackle cavalry/armors tomorrow!

15 Likes

I wanted to bring it up but have never found a great point to, but I believe the Flail Knight on Emblem Anims’ page currently has the wrong idle frame, or the entire script is messed up.

I might try finding time to make a male alt for the Supplier (the most pure animation), a non-Merlinus Wagon alt that’ll probably use a Merc model and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe get around to doing Siegmund from Nura’s Great Lord Infantry Ephraim with longer hair. That last one’s a big iffie because that animation is h e l l

If anyone else has ideas of simple edits I’d love to hear stuff that sound quick, I like doing things in my free time

4 Likes

I plan to write up a document expressing some different holes we can fill. I’ll start with a bunch of simple animations, with the goal of ‘perfecting’ the already great animations that are just missing that tiny extra something, then move on to bigger and bigger holes.

There are also some animations that are basically not very good at all, fixing them would probably be more effort than they’re worth.

There are also animations that are conceptually great, but their timings are quite bad so they look clunky when actually put in motion, so they just need rescripting. A good example is the Battle Sage and other similar Sage animations, including L95’s Ishtar, which looks AWESOME but the timing is just a little bit off, and the cape doesn’t flap properly.

Stuff like that. I’ll go through the whole repo, one by one, to see what’s messed up, then post the results here. Might even make a fancy google spreadsheet!

4 Likes

Give me your finest sardines and pilchards sir.

1 Like

This is pretty awesome! You guys are busting butt to improve the repo! Grandfather Klok appreciates!

…Now I just have to edit all these things onto the images I’ve already made. Sigh.

2 Likes