FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

yeah it’s his, i recognized it immediately and he confirmed it and has the raw files

5 Likes

No worries. Thank you for all your hardwork.

1 Like

I see the problem already was solved @dancer_A. Also thank @Klokinator for the clarification.
I’m very cautions with other author’s works and I even contacted MageKnight about some sprites he made, and he respectfully didn’t give permission to use them.
About the civilians, they were indeed credited to Dellhonne. So I only took the time to give the ‘’-move’’ animations. They had some resemblance with MK, but I believed it was a coincidence since I watched his hacks on YouTube in the good old days :v.

I updated the folder to DON’T include MageKnight’s sprites, since he stated that he DO NOT intend to share his work.
Since I cannot edit my post, @dancer_A, would you mind updating the ‘‘General Stuff + Primefusion tileset’’ with this link: General Stuff + Primefusion Tileset

And also deleting the sprites made by Mageknight? Since he didn’t give permission to use his sprites, I believe it’s somewhat disrespectful to keep those there, even if it was by mistake.

Also: Sorry if I’m to uhhh polite? or if I use some odd words to express myself, anyway.

5 Likes

He said it’s fine to be public, I said that earlier.

You can edit the post yourself now.

2 Likes

I’m currently trying to get the Portrait Repository updated, but the tool isn’t working right and now the readme looks like this:

Soooo yeah. Just bear with it, guys. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon.

3 Likes

So, second post in a row, but who cares? The Repo just got a pretty cool new update.

@milom has been working on a special rework of the Repo, specifically aimed at the previously sloppy, ramshackle, no-good, VERY disorganized Tilesets folders. Now, this update is not finished and is still very WIP, but I thought I’d talk about it.

I first talked about this last year with @LordGlenn and how I wanted to, potentially, unify the Tileset and Map folders together. The primary reason to do this would be so that maps would be more easily useable with the specific tilesets they were made for. However, there are other major benefits to a unification.

1. FE Map Creator could potentially be improved in big ways by having a larger pool of maps from which it can generate random maps.
  2. The same is also true of Lex Talionis, which @rainlash is still working on adding an improved map creator for.
  3. No more needing to spend an hour scouring all the badly organized tileset folders for the one tileset that works for the map you want to use. What good is a map repo if the maps inside aren’t linked to their tileset in any obvious way?

So, in any case, the new Tileset repo is already a lot better organized, but you can bet there will be even bigger changes coming as poor Milom sorts my awful mess. Big thanks to him, Jey, JJ09, Lobstorgi, and Raulster for all their contributions of late!

These guys are finally catching everyone up on the project I haven’t had time to properly update for like 7 months!

3 Likes

While looking for a generic soldier portrait with a minimug and finding one made by LaurentLacroix, I noticed an updated Honeydew portrait that I don’t think I’ve ever seen used. Everyone seems to prefer the original.

I dunno, I just find it funny.

2 Likes

Play Call of the Armor :wink:

2 Likes

Someone named ‘Rattlesalad’ just submitted a bunch of animations to the repository… no idea who they are.

They didn’t join the Discord to tell us they were submitting anything, and I think the animations are improperly formatted? I’m hesitant to add a bunch of animations out of nowhere when I wasn’t informed ahead of time the update was coming.

So… if ‘Rattlesalad’ is on FEU, maybe drop by the discord and tell the team what’s up?

2 Likes

General question; is there any sort of vetting process in terms of quality in regards to what gets added to this?
Or is it just added as long as it’s formatted correctly with credits.

Officially no, but it someone is going to post something that’s an obvious troll or so bad my eyes bleed it won’t be added.

It was never the case though.

It’s easy to suggest ‘do quality control’ until people get mad you thought their artwork wasn’t very good. So, historically, I just added everything unless it was really really bad.

As the Repo continues to grow, we might start removing the really old or low-effort stuff. It depends.

5 Likes

Exactly.

I mean… Some things seem really obvious, others there are versions 1 and 2 of, which could mean the older versions can be removed in theory.
From a browsing perspective there’s a lot of stuff in there that I don’t know who would want nor can I think of why it was added (mug blitz stuff in particular usually has a bunch of questionables).

Regardless, it was a question on policy, thanks.

wouldn’t it be easier to curate the repo now rather than later? since it’s already got a massive amount of content that makes getting through it difficult

I don’t agree with any policy that would remove OG Honeydew.

5 Likes

I kinda agree with this statement to a degree, but it is a little bit of a double-edged sword. If the artist doesn’t like the original version and they want only the new version, then that’s one thing, but there are definitely cases where, because views are subjective, a user somewhere might want to use the original version over the updated one, depending on what was changed on it.

Perhaps they see a detail or something about the shading, etc. that they really liked and wanted to use it as a splicing component (if under that banner of being allowed for that content) or, if the original author was fine with edits being made, maybe they want to use it as a base to alter/improve it in a different way than the author did to make something new out of it. Or, if it is a battle animation, perhaps something just clicks better with the original (better palette distribution for what they want, not as overly flashy, etc.).

I don’t think removing older versions of something should be a blanket policy outright unless it’s seemingly agreed upon by enough of a majority that the newer one completely obsoletes the original.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that imply that the once something is submitted the original creator no longer has a say?
I would think that if the op updates something they can also say I don’t want the old on there anymore without question.

I’ve had enough ‘V2’ and ‘improved’ animations get submitted that had bugs the originals didn’t that I decided replacing the V1s was not a good call in general, to say nothing of ‘repalettes’ that sometimes make the palettes worse or jankify the movements by accident, etc.

It’s less clear-cut with portraits but generally I’m fine with removing older ‘versions’ of portraits.

2 Likes

I feel like what the author wants should always be paramount - it is their asset after all. However, if there’s enough of a reason to warrant keeping something older, I feel like the users should make that known at that point.

But, my point was that I definitely don’t think that as soon as a “V2”/etc. is submitted to the repo that the original should immediately be removed 100% of the time, every time by the repo maintainers if doing so wasn’t a directive from the creator. It’s better for people to have options should they want to use them. (EX: Devisian Nights’ different versions of, say, the Occultist battle animation - the different versions could fit different characters entirely, so it would be a shame for the V1 to be removed if someone wanted to use it and V2 didn’t really fit the character that they wanted to use it for.)

3 Likes