FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Opinions will vary, but while FE has massive doses of fantasy, I personally look at it from the standpoint of “if you were on a fast, flying horse, what would be easier to hit a target with for a sword, a pinpoint thrust or a slashing motion?” Might be why Great Lord Eirika is the only non-custom mounted sword animation that does a thrusting attack? Just my take on it, anyway.

To really see it, you have to be looking at basically the background, so I think I kind of agree with this? Or maybe if it had some of the other axe colors in the blur frame instead of just the white? Since the Journeyman’s axe is pretty close to what the Peg has, I referenced back to that and it uses the other shades for its blur, but I don’t know if the speed/acceleration of the attack matters with what shades get used for blurs or if IS is just their usual inconsistent self with how blurs work from animation to animation.

I don’t think intsys ever had any hard rules, just “do what looks good” and it… generally does look good?

Smears will generally display over darker and more varied backgrounds so i don’t think visibility will be too big an issue. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to have a more custom axe-like smear. A quick suggestion:

choppframe

chopp

(Feel free to edit it, of course. And, just extending the time the smear is on screen by one more frame will make it more visible as well.)

9 Likes

I downloaded all battle animations yesterday and today they’ve been labeled outdated :joy:
So what’s new in the V2 folder?

Why would you do it?

Why download F2U animations? They’re clearly made to only be looked at and never be used for any purpose.

I asked why he downloaded all of them.

1 Like

One of the biggest questions in the world

Y’all rushing before I can make the post. Well, okay then. Literally just woke up, so here goes…

New Battle Animation Repo Update Super Mega Overhaul v2 Hyperion Edition Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series, Sponsored by Coca-Cola Ft. Cameos by Sonic and Knuckles the Three-Tailed Foxes

Features:

• A bunch of folders that had names which were way too long had the credits cut out, changed to CREDITS.TXT, and were placed inside of a CREDITS.TXT file inside said folders. The offenders were chosen purely based on how long their names were. I eyeballed them.
  • I fixed several folders that were simply buggy. Some of them had duplicated animations.
  • For some reason, several of Shyuterz’s folders were among the least organized and least comprehensible messes in the repo. As an example, the Nergal T3 animation folder was just… what even was in that thing? There were folders inside folders inside folders that had like leftover artifacts for the animations? I checked them individually and deleted the offenders. Should be much simpler now.
  • I also renamed some folders that simply had too long of descriptive names. I tried to be consistent, but overall the goal was just to get everything below 260 characters on the filepath.
  • Just to be extra extra extra sure, I also reprocessed every animation to remove duplicate frames and to ensure the .bins were up to date.

So, compared to the original pre-Sme update from a few days ago, the Repo should now be 100% friendlier for people using Buildfiles. This is a big deal!

It should also be less ugly and broken inside certain random folders.

Q&A Time!

Klok, will this break Emblem-Anims?
Possibly. I don’t know for sure. I think links might get shattered on Emblem-Anims. If so… we’ll have to wait for Shin’s return!

Does this update improve any animations? Make them look better?
Not that I know.

Can I use ANY animation with a buildfile now?
Theoretically, yes. Let me know if animations still don’t work for BF’s.

Klok, why are there tons of map sprites missing from the map sprite folder? People have added a bunch but they’re not there.
I have been planning to update the Map Sprite repo… I just haven’t had the time. Simply put, I’m going to rename all of the files to be less long-winded. I have EVERY new previously not-yet-added map sprite downloaded, they’re sitting in a separate folder on my PC with these new name formats waiting for me to update the old ones.
Proof:

Same question, but for Class Cards. There are some missing class cards.
I’m waiting to add the map sprites and class cards to Super Lex Talionis, an important side project of mine. The key goal is to add all of them, so I’m just trying to add them when I have time. There actually aren’t many of these, I’m just busy with four major projects now.

The repo, as always, is a work in progress.

EDIT:
And then I checked the repo site. For some reason, it shows this.

But on my PC, I have this.

Thanks Google Drive. Wow, you sure are great. :slight_smile:
Gonna try and fix this real quick…

4 Likes

Yeah so I’m working on making the new repo thing show up.

But uh, quick and very random pair of thoughts.

1. Google Drive Sucks. I hate using it, it’s garbage, and the only reason we host it with the repo is because there weren’t any better options previously.
  2. I just realized 4 minutes ago that I could try using Github now. I have been using Github enough that I actually understand how it works. I could make a new repo, one which is much easier for people to navigate, to download from, and maybe even more importantly… to update, for all people involved.

I’m gonna start looking into this. Github’s per-repository max all-files limitation is 100GB’s. Its upload limit per push is 2GB’s, and its maximum individual file size limitation is 100MB’s.

This is perfect! Combined with the fact that uploads are VERY fast, I think I can make something really good with this.

I’ll start working on a Github repo just to see if it’s feasible. If it is, I’ll make a whole new experimental thread to gauge feedback.

More info later.

3 Likes

Disc is OK when you need to have a place to store photos from a roadtrip. For big projects it’s… suboptimal.

Disc? Discord??

Goggle Disc.

Emperor, I’ve forgot it’s called Drive in English. It’s “Dysk Google” in Polish for some reason.

4 Likes

Does that mean we can use the new Repo already?

No. Google Drive sucks so I have to reupload everything.

I’m actually working on a Github repo for experimental purposes rn.

1 Like

Agreed, Google Drive sucks even for downloading stuff.

1 Like

Alright, everyone. Please read this topic and give me some feedback/thoughts!

A new repo, but this time in Github. What think?

3 Likes

yeaap

This isn’t specific enough. I can’t find the animation.

1 Like

I fixed it in the New Repo, too, haha.

Tomorrow, after I get my writing done tonight, I’m going to write up a big post and/or series of posts explaining how to use Github for the new Repo. I’m pretty convinced at this point that it’s exactly what we need.

Edit: Worth mentioning…

The Gdrive is STILL not caught up. Earlier, like at 5AM, 12+ hours ago, It had only 6k files complete of 125k. Now it still only has 24k done. It hasn’t even registered half of the files that need to get sync’d!

At this rate, it’ll take a minimum of two more days just to sync up. Google Drive is just not acceptable for the repo’s purposes anymore.

It’s looks good

Alright, Everyone.

I have completed the switch to Github.

Please visit this topic to learn how to use and access the new, up-to-date repo for the future.

This is a ‘unified’ repo as of now. In the future, I may split the repo apart for bandwidth purposes, but hopefully we won’t get to that point.

I’m also going to coordinate with my team behind the scenes to get everyone linked up on Github properly. Once we finish, I will add the final section to the tutorial regarding how to contribute to the repo. I want the process to be simple and effortless for everyone involved!

Here’s to hoping nothing goes wrong!

8 Likes