[Fangames] What are you working on?

What if you rotated between name & status and/or HP and equipment?

Sounds like a good idea. The status flashing is already written in a way that it replaces the HP label when there’s a status to display, so I’ll just find a way for the name to do the same thing for the icons.

How would I go about having archers/snipers having 2~4 range? I could probably just change the range on bows, but I wanted to give archers this buff specifically.

There’s a patch for it somewhere. I’ll keep looking for it.

I’m trying to find a way to have a character get a different portrait on promotion. What I think I could do would be just have that character not actually promote, rather the old character is just replaced with a new one with the updated portrait. But then the issue of stats comes in, and needing to keep them consistent. Would I be able to just use a Lyn mode character? If not that, then what methods could I use?

If it’s a forced promotion, you could do it via ASM. If not, I would have no idea how to do it

The best “theory” I ever thought up to accomodate that (limited to one person) would be to make use of Ninian and Nils, since they swap with an actual command. They’d be the same character, swap/transfer stats, and the second character has the updated portrait. But, like Datagne said, it’d have to be scripted in some fashion.

In theory, of course. Any project I was helping with never got far enough to test the theory.

This is surprisingly easy to do in a cheatsy way, though it requires a dedicated class slot for that character alone, which is easy for lords.

Use the class portrait! Make Lord have Jim Young and Lord Promoted have Jim Older or whatever, and then assign the character portrait itself as null so it uses the class default.

Warning: There may be glitches with this involving visiting events or something. I plan to use this for a FE8CM character but I’ve never actually tested it.

1 Like

That’s actually genius, but what of when they level up? I imagine it’d turn into the multiple arrows and chapter graphics you see when doing the mine glitche

What? Do you mean promotion? The portrait will change obviously.

No like when they just level up. Wouldn’t their portrait be screwy?

That could be one of the glitches I’ve heard about it. Test it and see.

Gucci

In a character’s RAM data struct, there’s a “turn” word beginning at 0xC. Relevant documentation courtesy of Nintenlord:

1: Turn status
//00 = normal
//01 = selected/not drawn
//02 = unselectable
//10 = rescuing someone
//20 = being rescued
//40 = moved this turn/canto-ing
1: Hidden Status
//04 = reset each turn?
//08 = inside ballista
//10 = Afa drops
//20 = drop item (switched with above?)
1:
//40 = Mani Katti
//80 = increase portrait by 1
1:

As you can see, ability 0x80 of byte 0xE is “increase portrait [index] by 1”. So you would, in theory, just need to stick a

//assume r0=char data struct
ldrb r1,[r0,#0xE]
mov r2,#0x80
orr r1,r2
strb r1,[r0,#0xE]
in the promotion code.

Of course, this does mean every playable non-prepromote is going to need 2 consecutive portrait slots. If you want, I can probably rustle this up.

2 Likes

Just add a hardcoded check for the character in question’s id. Then you woundn’t have to have two slots for very person.

Oh. Right. Or, if you want multiple people, an array would work too.

Do an IFCA (if character active) check and have a version of each village scene for the character (i.e. a text slot that loads their portrait instead of 0xFF and then moretexts to the actual villager convo). It’s what Bloodlines does for Malcolm (whose beak has empty space behind it, so in the earliest versions it would disappear in level-ups and get superimposed on top of another beak in some scenes because of how mouth frames work).

@CT075 did something like that

But the links are dead now.

the folder is currently located here, although i honestly cannot promise that it will work - it’s quite literally swapping your character out for another, solely for the purpose of changing the portrait. Ideal? Definitely not, but at the time it was the best I could do and haven’t really had the time/energy to research a better way.

download it here

10 Likes