Dark Deity

I hate that I’ve run out of likes at this crucial moment.

4 Likes

No, I was replying specifically Saxor. With his reply today combined with what he said last night, he obviously isn’t a fan, and I’m just saying that it would be better to criticize Deity Device in the Deity Device thread.

7 Likes

DD 1.0 was an experience alright let’s just say that.
I don’t know how valid my criticism would be in the current day since DD is not the same as it was then anymore (I still have not finished it because it is a large exercise in motivation to go back to it and this hack is really fuckin long) but hoo did that one break me.
This isn’t the thread for that.
Also there’s no way in several hells that I’m playing through it again.

Yeah, Dark Deity 1.0 really was rough. I don’t plan on playing through it again either. btw, Deity Device is by far the superior DD

3 Likes

Some interesting discussion here so as the OP I would like to address comments.

I have not played the game, as stated. I have played many SRPG games before, at least 15, probably more, and this isn’t counting all the ROMhacks. I would like to believe I know what constitutes good SRPG gameplay, but I’m sure we can come to the mutual agreement that I am, at the least, somewhat experienced with the genre. This game doesn’t require strategy. I didn’t need to be the one playing the game to be able to see that. The entirety of the gameplay I watched (which was in the ballpark of 80%) was devoid of strategy. Even if the other 20% was miraculously different and excellent (which is not what I had heard of it), this is inexcusable. The player was bored out of their mind. The entire game was completed doing the same thing every map - walk the mage forward. I would love to hear the argument that a strategy game without strategy is good because I’m sure I’d have my reality blown apart and be devoured by a black hole. This is putting aside the parts that you really don’t need to have experienced firsthand to understand they are problem areas, some of which others have already mentioned such as audio/visual issues and UI elements straight up not working. You may say, the devs are patching it out as we speak. I say, how in the goddamn was the game released with these issues present? It is painfully obvious the game wasn’t playtested when such blatant issues as UI elements being offscreen and inaccessible are present.

Am I being harsh? I hope so, because that would express my frustration that this game was build on DONATED money and had the nerve to even dare call itself completed. This isn’t a romhack made for someone’s hobby. This is a commercial product that took people’s money on the promise of making a game inspired by the greatness of Fire Emblem and then shat all over it. Some may excuse the devs for being inexperienced or perhaps receiving more money than they had expected, but I say they should have considered the gravity of what they were doing before opening up a kickstarter page for it.

Dark Deity was, to my knowledge, never a hack. I’m not sure where this notion came from. You may be confusing it with the similarly named Deity Device (sorry Permafrost), or the actual hack turned kickstarted project Midnight Sun. I would ask, as others have said, to please refrain from talking about Deity Device here.

9 Likes

This is probably where the notion of it being a hack came from

oh god if the mods don’t lock that thread it’s going to be bombed so hard

nah lol something would have happened by now

Yeah, that was my bad, i got dark deity and midnight sun mixed up. Due in part to me not being interested in midnight sun and then seeing FE “inspired” kickstarter game show up made my brain go “oh yeah dat ting” and made me put my foot in my mouth.

I ment to own up to that sooner but forgot.
Granted if it was it would have been even more galling how this was bunged up.

I took the liberty of merging the two threads, since the conversation seems to be pretty much the same.

Since there was a pretty substantial post just before the most recent part of the last thread, you can jump to Alfred’s post here, or pik’s review here.

2 Likes

My writeup doesn’t have much to do with this thread, I’d say the comments being here doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

they both are criticisms against dark deity telling people not to buy it because of the map design and story, I’d say it fits pretty well

2 Likes

good call

“This game is rushed, but time won’t solve the issues this game has. It’s the core mechanics and maps that are broken. You can’t fix that with a patch.”
“This is nothing like Fire Emblem, it was advertised as a Fire Emblem game, but it doesn’t play like one”
“If you really like rout maps, I suppose this is the game for you. You just throw your own guys into the enemy guys. You move 15 characters across entire galaxies.”

This comes from a guy who just played the entire game in one sitting on stream.

3 Likes

Oh, and I missed this one.

We have our third totally-barren, no-terrain/effort map.

Chapter 15, 18, and the final chapter, then.

4 Likes

this looks more like a test map than something we were meant to see

I don’t want to be too mean to it but everything about this game except the animations seemed bad, so I don’t regret avoiding it.
At least the devs are focusing their efforts on…checks notes “Beach Mode”.

9 Likes

now THIS is something inspired by fire emblem!

1 Like

still better than furuki yoki jidai no boukentan

It’s perfectly fine to like a game. No one would ever try to argue with you on it being fun (hopefully).

The problem here is that the game had no effort put into it, despite being fundraised, and barely works in some respects (like map objectives being suggestions rather than actual win conditions).

(unrelated to your comment) I think I saw someone mention earlier that they immediately knew the game was bad, because it’s made in Game Maker, and I don’t know where they were coming from with that. GM is long past the era of hosting barely functioning games on their own website, and is now another fully-fledged game engine that requires very little programming knowledge. The DD devs just don’t know how to use it properly lol.

2 Likes