[COMPLETE][Lex Talionis] A Royal Summons - A "One Chapter" Game

It’s the game no one asked for, with game-play mechanics that most people don’t bother putting into an FE style setting. All the same, I hope you enjoy A Royal Summons. A “One Chapter” game meant and encouraged to be played multiple times. It’s literally impossible to explore everything this game has in one playthrough. That in mind, the anticipated playtime for this “One Chapter” game is about 5+ hours. However, one playthrough of the chapter should be about 1 hour or so. Depending on various factors.

This game is very different from my first release, Tactics of Taming. Do not go into this expecting a similar experience or a sequel.

Summary

A Royal Summons takes place in the principality of La’Rontel. Crow is the court magister of the La’Rontel court, and ever since the new Lady of the House came into power, he’s been having some unusual dreams. Those dreams will be the least of his issues when the warmongering kingdom of Rastan invades. Will Crow be able to use his unique abilities to escape? Find out in… A Royal Summons!

Features

Permanent Record Abuse
Grandmaster Accuracy Mode

• All attacks land, but deal a fraction of max damage based on accuracy/avoid. More details in the unit info screen.

Low MOV units
Summons
Accessories
A Maid
Reworked Stats
Small Army Size
Thievery
Skills
Good Tunes
Custom Backgrounds
Custom Mugs
Multiple Endings
Achievements
Callbacks
An Angsty Millennial
Supports
Health Tonics
A Secret Character
Easter Eggs
References

Screenshots

Link To Play & Instructions

A Royal Summons
Just open the folder and click the “double_click_to_play.bat” file.

Current Known Game Bugs

It’s not a bug so much as a price. The initial load time after starting the chapter is pretty heavy. This is the cost of using so many cool tunes. Just be patient, I promise the game isn’t crashing.

Breaking a Miracle Ring with an AOE attack, will cause the ring to not be destroyed properly. This issue is cosmetic only, and will not result in an extra miracle for the unit. The ring will be destroyed after the next combat(with an alert), whether or not the unit is killed as a part of that combat.

Shel’s Second Skill will cause her to only be able to Refresh MP when next to an injured ally. This is some weird engine nonsense that I’m getting to the bottom of and will hopefully have a fix for soon.

In many ways this game is a good deal simpler than ToT, but in other ways it could be significantly harder. There are a few tips and tricks located in the credits .txt file within the game folder. And if you need it, dying once will unlock the option to turn on the Turnwheel.

There aren’t any modifiers, but there are achievements, and most of them are pretty easy to unlock.

In the coming week, I’ll be releasing my WIP full length game, Fate of the Fallen. It’s another unrelated game to both ARS and ToT. It’s not finished yet, but I feel confident enough with my work to show off what I have. So keep an eye out for that.

But in the meanwhile, enjoy the far larger in scape adventure I created… A Royal Summons…!

If you enjoy the games and want to see more, consider joining the Patreon or our Discord Community!

Support me on Patreon

Support me on Ko-Fi

Join the Discord

FEE3 2023 Video

21 Likes

Good morning, it’s time for a day one patch.

I was actually creating this game on the exe version of LT-Maker, which at this point is 2 months old.

Turns out that 2 months worth of changes can cause some issues with complicated eventing.

I’m sure there will be more bugs, but I’ll do my best to correct them as I learn about them.

The following bugs were fixed in the most recent update.

• During the Intro, an invisible Crow could be spawned midscene that would induce some weird slippery movement, and create a fun little obstacle that could really mess with placement. This can no longer happen.
  • An outdated weapon was updated and replaced with a more functional version.
  • Unit Notes have been fully implemented for all player units.

Really enjoyed ToT, so super exited to play this one. Good luck on the Fate of the Fallen release!

1 Like

I just started the game, so not much to talk about. But I have two major concerns. The battle forecast doesn’t have the hit rate listed. Is this an oversight or intentional? It really makes assessing the battle difficult if I don’t even know whether my unit’s attack has a high or low chance of landing.

And then, in battle, the numbers don’t match the damage. Often a unit will take less damage than what the damage number says, but sometimes it’ll deal all of it. Could you explain what’s making this happen?

The way the battle system is set up is that, instead of having Misses or Hit chances, damage is multiplied by the hit percentage. So if you deal 15 damage but have a 66% chance to hit, you’ll instead deal 10 damage. The damage in the damage forecast is accurate, while the in battle one displays both the “hit chance”, which is the damage % dealt of max damage.

This is what “Grandmaster Accuracy Mode” refers to in the Features list, since that’s what the feature is called in LT.

1 Like

Thanks for the assist, Rasta.

Yes, Grandmaster Difficulty changes the way the game works pretty fundamentally to how you’re used to other FE games operating.

Kind of think of it like how in Heroes, attacking is a guarantee that your attacks will hit. Only in this system several different aspects/stats can influence how much damage you deal.

If you check the Combat stats in the info screen you’ll see that the usual hit, avoid, and damage stats have been replaced with Max, DMG%, and Deflect. These inform you of the max amount of damage your unit can inflict, the percentage of that damage you can reach in a perfect environment, and the percent of damage you can subtract from an opponent’s attack.

So it’s a little more complicated than just subtracting a target’s DEF from a unit’s STR.

Thank you for asking though, I didn’t realize how foreign of a concept this was initially. I’m going to update the OP with a more detailed explanation.

this spawns a lot. on shamans on the right side. left side does not do this.

1 Like

Great catch, I’ll have another update tonight or early tomorrow to address this and other bug fixes. :+1:

The bug has been located and squashed. Thank you kindly for the heads up.

Okay, what is probably the final patch for the day has been uploaded, and the OP has been updated with the newest link.

With this version, I’d like to instruct everyone as to the method of carrying over progress from one version to another.

Progress Transfer Process

First, open up the “saves” folder within the “ARS_Release” folder. Inside this folder you should be able to find an ARS-achievements file and an ARS-persistent_records file. These are the only two important files as far as progress in A Royal Summons goes.

So you can move this files into the new version, and all your progress should remain, aside from any suspended saves.

Now, as for bug fixes, this version handles a lot of things.

The following bugs were fixed in the most recent update:

• Chests now work.
  • Enemy Shamans now properly spawn with weapons and staves they can use.
  • Added more explanation on various abilities and mechanics that might not be immediately evident to players. Specifically how Fusion works.
  • Internal fix to how some events check if a unit has been killed.
  • A Boss Spawn went through some repositioning to make it slightly more forgiving.
  • A new Minimug Box UI was instituted thanks to the brilliant work of one @Rasta. An example of their hard work has been added to the screenshots.
  • “Oh S**t” test dialogue has been removed from Tonic Ability Use.

And that’s it. Thank you so much to everyone who’s played, and thanks again to all those who shouted out any bugs or breaks. I’m sure this isn’t the last of them, so keep those reports coming and I’ll keep updating.

On a happier note, everyone who’s had a chance to play, I’d be super happy to hear about anything NOT bug related. Just your favorite characters or units, or maybe just a fun accessory you had fun with.

Bugs are important, but what’s more important is having fun!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was confused because it wasn’t well explained in game at all and because the battle screen still says Hit. I feel like updating the UI would help rectify this issue.

For sure, that’s definitely on the todo list. I’m planning on updating the game with various UI changes. Including customizing the Combat UI. That’s just a big overhaul lol.

I want to grab the last 4 achievements, first. I did complete all the loops and the gameplay, story, music kept me hooked. But I will wait till I grab the last 4 achievements before giving a review like I did with Tactics of Taming.
I do look forward to Fate of the Fallen.
I will say this however.
Finally Some Good Content Gordon Ramsay GIF - Finally Some Good Content Gordon Ramsay Gordon Ramsay Memes - Discover & Share GIFs

That is impressive, I tip my hat to you. This is not a game meant to be played in one sitting. The fact you have already beaten it so many times is flattering to say the least. I’m glad you found it so engaging, I worked maybe too hard to polish this beast up.

I did realize while updating just now that I forgot to implement one of the achievements, so feel free to ignore the second to last one for now. But I am curious what the final 3 achievements you haven’t gotten are. I wish you luck.

And thank you for the compliment. As long as I know people are enjoying my work, I’ll keep wanting to make more.

Is it playable on mobile?

Not currently.
LT games are at the moment stuck on desktop.
But, uh, don’t lose hope and be patient is all I’m going to say about future mobility.

spent a few hours trying to doing different stuff and trying to see if there was another escape route I am not finding. Noticed Fusion gave C rank to supports but that it. Couldnt figure out how to get B or A rank if it was possible. I am also guessing there a Fusion combo I didnt do or I didnt kill someone.

I’ll investigate these right now.
One of these I’m very confused about you not getting while still getting others.
If you wouldn’t mine messaging me the details of which endings you reached, and maybe the order, I’d appreciate it.

I did get abrupt ending which gave me the rewind before anything else.
Start of the game is pretty rough till you understand how everything works.
Run for it first.
then Defeating Jane
Secret Tunnel was 3rd
Mothers Secret was 4th.
I don’t think I found another escape route. I think I defeated Jane a 2nd time here?
I got the ending the loop on the 6th clear.

I’ve tracked down all the achievements and now they’re all properly implemented. Including an ending that was previously unavailable apparently.
Good bug to find and fix for sure.
It’s very interesting that you were able to reach the true ending though.
During all of yesterday’s updates, did you ever carry your persistent record file over without your achievements file? That’s the only way I could see this happening. Which, now that I think about it might be a little cheat/hack lol

I brought all the files from save folder over but that was from 1.01 to 1.02. I think I was almost cleared at cleared at that point.
On 1.00 since I was barely had completed much I decided to just start from scratch when moving to 1.01