CCC - Character Compounding Contest! (Round Five Complete: Nino, Jaffar, and Sonya!)

Welcome to the next round in my continuation of the previous CCC’s! As one of FEU’s (surprisingly) most popular contests, I’ve decided to spruce things up a bit!

The goal of this contest is to take an existing character (posted at the bottom!) and reimagine, reinvent, or rework them into a new form! What sort of new form? Taking inspiration from FE Heroes and other similar media, you simply redesign the character in one of (but not limited to) the following ways:

• De-age or age up the character. Make them younger, or make them older.
  • Turn them into another character! These ‘cosplay’ edits are not limited to mainline FE games or fangames, you can even do characters from other series, TV, etc.
  • Give the character a new design! Make them jacked, give them cool armor, redesign them from scratch, or whatever your heart desires.
  • Genderbend them! Make Lucius into a boy, or Jaffar into a girl! The possibilities here are endless!
  • RADICALLY redesign them: Make them into crazy demons, angels, Kirby(???), but try to keep the ‘essence’ of the original character in some way.
  • Heck, why not just take a regular character’s design and make them into a halfbody? That could be fun too!

This contest is very free-form. You come up with the character’s redesign and try your best to get people to vote for you!

Here are the rules:

1. All submissions to this contest will be F2U, or even F2E if the submitter is okay with that! This contest involves expanding the resources available for the Portrait Repository, so this is mandatory.
  2. Each round of the contest will feature two mugs; a male and a female character. (Unisex characters can count too; they take up the male or female slot at the host’s discretion)
  3. Artists may create an alternate outfit/design/etc for one or both characters, if they wish.
  4. You may submit multiple designs, if you wish. They will all count toward your one submission vote. (Voters will vote on all of the works you created for the two mugs at once)
  5. No pre-existing artwork! The point of this contest is to expand the repo, so we want new art. Also, it’s unfair to compete against artwork that may have had weeks or months of editing work put into it.
  6. Eye/mouth frames are preferable, but optional. They aren’t necessary, but it would be awesome if you included them!
  7. Characters must either be from Fire Emblem 1-16 (Or whatever the current new game ends up being) or one of the Fire Emblem spinoffs, such as Heroes.
  8. All characters must be sprited in GBA format!
    (Hackbox size is not necessary)
    (Halfbodies/fullbodies are A-OK!)
    (Do try to keep the color count at or below 16 though, that would be great)
  9. Submissions must at least somewhat resemble the original character! Even with the Demon Anna example earlier, it’s still possible to see that she looks like Anna; use that as the extreme guideline.

The winner of each round picks two mugs for the next round! If you want the community to work hard toward making designs for your favorite waifu/husbando, you’ll have to get that top vote!

This competition is very casual. It’s not intended to be a hardcore demonstration of spriting prowess or anything, though that can be fun, too. The primary purpose is to create lots of cool mugs for the community to use.

Here are the winners of the previous rounds:
Round One.
Round Two.
Round Three
Round Four

The previous round’s winner got to choose two of the three mugs for this round! As such, they chose Nino and Jaffar. Additionally, the community voted and chose a third character: Sonya from Gaiden.

Here are some designs currently listed in the repo for each character.

Nino:

Jaffar:

Sonya:

Sonya is from Fire Emblem Gaiden. Sadly, she has no assets in the repo. Why not fix that?

For those of you who aren’t sure what sorts of designs you could make, here are the characters’ wiki-pages, complete with alternate designs and artwork.

Nino’s Gallery: Nino/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom
Jaffar’s Gallery: Jaffar/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom
Sonya’s Gallery: Sonya/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

Remember… really exotic designs work great too! Let’s get some wild, interesting, and diverse character designs going! Reach into your imagination, and first place could be yours!

The deadline for this contest ends on the 14th, a little over two weeks from now!

1 Like

New Contest submission standards:

Since you guys can submit as many mugs as you want, but I have to take a lot of time for each person compiling them all, please do the following when submitting more than one mug for the CCC.

1. Only post mugs inside your first ‘submission post’ of the thread. If you add more mugs, do not post them later in the thread. Just post again saying “I added a mug to my submission entries!” and link back to that post so others can see it.
  2. Include a zipped folder with all your mugs individually, as well as a compilation image that has all of your mugs on one sheet. Keep the image below 600 pixels wide. The height isn’t too important. If you submit like 30 mugs for some reason, put them all on one image for the voting portion of the round.
  3. In the Zip folder, please name all your images according to how you would find them in the Portrait Repository.

That’s it. Those are the new standards. It took me 6 hours to compile the voting section for the previous round, and 3 of those were because I insisted on including Vilk’s badass gif. I had to learn a method for making a thirty frame gif slot onto a single sheet, and it was agony.

So, yeah. Put them all on one sheet, like so:

Or

As well as including a zip folder with all the images, named and credited like you would find in the Portrait Repository.

Lysithea School Uniform Smile (Redbean)
Lysithea School Uniform Blush (Redbean)
Lysithea Formal Dress Smile (Redbean)

Etc.

Thank you!

1 Like

ninos

ccc5

zip

13 Likes

(read the post above bro)

I read it. It’s about what to do when submitting multiple mugs.

1 Like

No, the one below that.

Jey, if someone submits incorrectly, I’ll be sure to let them know.

Thanks for the thought though :weary:

I love that Vilk converted Nino to Nino Automata lmfao

1 Like

I mean it was bound to happen.
Two short haired characters with exactly the same name? C’mon!

1 Like

Jaffar Halfbody
Might change it later but i’m still posting it in case i don’t

7 Likes

So. It’s time for me to show what I’ve cooked for this contest.

If I may, I’ll precede my entry with a short story.

Lugh followed the mysterious man through the forest. To his surprise, the cloaked figure had lead him to a small opening with a flickering portal.

“Follow me.” – he said.

Lugh hesitated for a second but ultimately the curiosity took over and he stepped through the white light.

He was in a large building, its cyclopean architecture alien. Despite showing signs of an immense age the ruins somehow held together. He already saw this kind of building style in the past…

“Hurry up, the Archsage requires your presence.”

Lugh shivered. How long had he stood there in awe? Time seemed to hold no meaning here… Where was he, anyway?

“You seem to have a lot of questions. Come, soon you will get all the answers.”

Lugh nodded and followed the cloaked man. They made their way through the immense complex, passing by statues showing half men – half reptile creatures, great wyverns and other beings he couldn’t even name. Eventually they entered a massive hall.

There were already other people there. A woman dressed in a travel outfit donning an extravagant violet hat, a red-haired man and…

“Raigh!”

“Welcome, brother.”

“So you came here as well!”

Lugh quickly walked towards his brother and embraced him. Raigh didn’t resist as he too was happy to see his brother, even though he never showed it.

Lugh now turned to the last person in the hall sitting casually on a large, fallen pillar, seemingly meditating. She couldn’t be older than fifty years old, yet her hair was pure white, almost unnatural. She wore a big golden necklace shaped like a triangle with light rays coming out of it, with a gem inserted in the center.

The woman opened her eyes and looked at Lugh. They flickered with determination and pure, untamed magical power. Lugh notice that she had the same color as his own – a shade of deep turquoise.

The woman smiled and said:

“Welcome, my son.”

So, yeah, that’s my entry. 44 years old Nino, 10 years after the events of FE6.
What happened to her? Why did her hair turn white? What was she looking for or what terrbile truth did she discover? Is this a character stretch?
I don’t really know. The only thing I know is that she managed to somehow infuse herself with dragon blood. Why? Don’t ask me. I have no idea! :slight_smile:

Here you have four versions of the mug, in both color styles (FE6/7 and FE8) and with green hair if you don’t like the white one.
[edit] Sonya was added.
[edit #2] Sony FE2 version added.
Link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JmSNxZcdkHsc70cAnrUdmTESxqGENhC0?usp=sharing

12 Likes

I think this might be your best work yet.

Minus the fanfic, but just know my standards for writing are p. high :weary:

1 Like

Fanfic? Now I’m interested.

Yeah, English is not my first language. Still I think it isn’t that bad. At least there’s no cringe love triangle :laughing:

1 Like

Jaffar shows his hair: pixil-frame-0 (43)

Eyes looking like the ones of a goat is intended…

This one is bad:

Mug

pixil-frame-0 (44) Black&White Nino

2 Likes

LOOK AT MY EYES! LOOK!

1 Like

I added another one…

That is true.

1 Like

I don’t lie

1 Like

Got a bit creative with these ones
CCC5Submissions
Thief Nino and Sage Jaffar (Basically they swapped classes)
Nino cosplaying as Katarina from FE12 (With an alternate version using BatimaTheBat’s Katarina hair color)
And Hoodless Jaffar (Credits to Shin19 for the blinking frames)
Edit: Added Soniya
Edit 2: Added the Morphs
Edit 2.1: Added Dark Soniya

Link to the updated ZIP folder

15 Likes

Oh my god damn. I fucking love both of those Jaffars. Hoodless Jaffar is so cursed though lmao without the hood he’s such a dweeb. Dude reminds me of Sain hahaha

1 Like