Buff Skills

I just finished adding support for temporary stat boosts to the FE8 SkillSystem, which allows for each stat to be up to +31 above normal. These boosts deplete each turn. I’m looking for skill ideas that utilize boosts.

I’ll be coding the skills I like, so please make some suggestions. Note that these buffs stack by default (though this can be turned off) unless the wording is “up to +x”.

Moxie: After attacking and defeating an enemy, gain +4 Str.

Beast Boost: After attacking and defeating an enemy, gain +4 in your highest stat.

Racer: After defeating an enemy with equal or more mov, gain +4 mov.

Chaos Boost: After attacking and defeating an enemy, gain +4 in a random stat.

Speedster: After attacking and doubling an enemy, gain +4 Spd.
Or
After dodging an enemy, gain +1 Spd.

Tank: After surviving an attack, gain +1 Def.

Chaos Rally: At the start of your turn, perform a random rally.

Greedy Rally: At the start of your turn, gain the boost of two random rallies.

Moody: At the start of your turn, gain +4/-2 in random stats.

Mood Boost: After defeating an enemy, gain +2/-1 in random stats.

Hone _ : At the start of your turn, give adjacent allies up to +3 _
_ Oath : At the start of your turn, gain up to +4 _ if adjacent to an ally.
Rouse _ : At the start of your turn, gain up to +4 _ if not adjacent to an ally.

6 Likes

There are those stattaker (Speedtaker for example) skills from Fates, giving +2 to whatever up to +10 if those count.

1 Like

Your pokemon is showing…

In that case
Thermal conversion (idr the real name)
+4 attack when hit by a fire attack

Well baked body
+5 def when hit by a fire attack

Raise the flag: Gain +1 STR/MAG/SKILL/SPD/DEF/RES after killing a foe, stacks up to 5 times. Resets after each map (this one is probably a bit too strong considering it’s an omni boost, could be made so it only triggers on player phase as a way to encourage a more active )

Strong constitution: If unit has been aflicted with a status effect of any kind, grant +5 defense and resistance

Thrill of the Hunt: If after an encounter in which unit can attack and kills foe, grant +1 STR/MAG/SPD but Lower DEF/RES by -1 (based on your mood concept) stackable. If an encounter ends with no kills, regress one stack of the boost

Fleeing Nature (or Coward/Shyness, all fit ): After being an encounter in which unit cannot counterattack, grant Speed or Luck +5 (up to you) Boost resets if units attacks.

Note that your stats deplete back towards normal each turn and that buffs are reset at the end of the chapter.

This doesn’t work because either the skill removes any boosts you have in the relevant stat when you attack, or it uses an extra bit in ram for every unit and would be something like this:
After being hit, gain +5 Speed until your next attack.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

maybe something like FEH ideal skills? check if you have a bonus or full HP and grant an additional bonus on top of it

1 Like

This seems nice. Would it be possible to work this into statboosters?

Like characters such as Florina or Hugh are money seeking mercs for hire, they even have a personal skill in Heroes that gives them extra stats each time they use a Dragonflower (statboosters items)

• Each time this unit consumes a stat boosting item, gain +1 to all stats up to +5.

Aside from that, maybe a skill that favors crit based characters:

• Sword Demon: Gain +1 damage, +1 Attack Speed and +5% crit each time you kill an enemy up to 5 stacks

Can’t do stat boosters buffs (as I can’t tell which item has been used without making the code waaay more complicated), but I could do…

Chemist: After using an item, gain up to +5 Def/Res.

1 Like

Can you do skills that modify indirect stats such as Crit?

More skills from Heroes, I tried to balance the numbers with the OP. Except Link, that deserves +6 due to only affecting 2 units and requiring one to spend its turn.

_ Dance: If Dance is used, grants _ +3 to target.

_ Link: If a movement skill is used by unit or targets unit, grants _ +6 to both units.

Joint Hone _: At the start of your turn, give yourself and adjacent allies up to +3 _. (Could be learned at a higher level and cause unit to forget the regular Hone skill)

_ Tactic: At start of turn, grants _ +2 to allies within 2 spaces for 1 turn. (Yes, I excluded the clause about movement type)

Odd _ Wave: At start of odd-numbered turns, grants _ +4 to unit and adjacent allies.

Even _ Wave: At start of even-numbered turns, grants _ +4 to unit and adjacent allies.

_ Opening: At start of turn, grants _ +4 to ally with the highest _ for 1 turn. (Excludes unit)

Odd/Even Tempest: At start of odd/even-numbered turns, gain up to +1 mov.

Hone Fliers: At start of turn, grants Str/Mag/Spd +3 to adjacent flying allies. (Could determine this by checking the classes movement cost table - all fliers share it)

Fortify Fliers: At start of turn, grants Def/Res +3 to adjacent flying allies. (Could determine this by checking the classes movement cost table - all fliers share it)

Hone Cavalry: At start of turn, grants Str/Mag/Spd +3 to adjacent cavalry allies. (Could determine cavalry the same way Keep Up does)

Fortify Cavalry: At start of turn, grants Def/Res +3 to adjacent cavalry allies. (Could determine cavalry the same way Keep Up does)

Hone Armor: At start of turn, grants Str/Mag/Spd +3 to adjacent armored allies. (Could use Armor March table)

Fortify Armor: At start of turn, grants Def/Res +3 to adjacent armored allies. (Could use Armor March table)

Hone Dragons: At start of turn, grants Str/Mag/Spd +3 to adjacent dragon allies. (Would probably need to reference a table)

Fortify Dragons: At start of turn, grants Def/Res +3 to adjacent dragon allies. (Would probably need to reference a table)

Hone Beasts: At start of turn, grants Str/Mag/Spd +3 to adjacent beast allies. (Would probably need to reference a table)

Fortify Beasts: At start of turn, grants Def/Res +3 to adjacent beast allies. (Would probably need to reference a table)

1 Like

Well, crap-baskets…i’m assuming Chemist only lasts for the duration of the map?

No. That wouldn’t deplete each turn.
(Someone else could make them, and it would require at least a bit in ram per unit to be saved.)

Yes, and the stats deplete each turn like pure water does.

Are max HP buffs possible? If so:

• Overheal: when healing an ally, temporarily raises their max HP.
  • Spirit Absorb: after debuffing an enemy, temporarily raises your max HP.
  • Maximize HP: start the battle with a temporary max HP buff.
  • Barbaric March: refreshing a unit temporarily raises their max HP.
  • Rally Order: performing a Rally temporarily raises the max HP of the affected allies.

Aside from that:

• Strong Foe: if foe survives combat, grants a temporary bonus to all of your stats.
  • Sword and Shield: after attacking, grants a temporary Str buff. After waiting, grants a temporary Def/Res buff.
  • Fast Attack: start the battle with a temporary Str buff.
  • Mind Assault: start the battle with a temporary Mag buff.
  • Initiative: start the battle with a temporary Def buff.
  • Auto-Barrier: start the battle with a temporary Res buff.
  • Heart of Compassion: when healing an ally, temporarily raises their Def/Res.

It could also be interesting if we had some command skills that buff. Something like Swords Dance or Dragon Dance would probably get out of control, so maybe something Curse, Belly Drum or No Retreat instead? Also Harsh Command (Turns the target’s debuffs into buffs). And I guess a skill like Placebo Effect (Doubles the buffs already present on the target).

And I guess Bonus Doubler and Bladetomes are a possibility too.

2 Likes

Hum, maybe organize the skills based on how Drive, Rally and Stance Skills work…make them buff one of each stat by a +4 per kill, and a Spectrum variant that buffs all stats to a +2, for thematic consistency atleast.

Done the taker skills. (They’re all defined as skill ID 1 / Canto atm).

mGBA_pMp0nvRpKq

Will need icons.

3 Likes

Will this be added to the list in the core Skill System for reading?

Yeah I’ll make a pull request to add whatever skills I make to the FE8 SkillSystem github.

They should eventually make their way into the FEBuilder SkillSys patch. But to enable them, you’ll need to run a custom build, as I presume most new skills will be defined as 255 / inactive.

How about creating an asmc so can change events?

ASMC_CHANGE_BUFF Unit param value
ASMC_CLEAR_BUFF Unit

ASMC_GET_BUFF Unit param //store slotC

1 Like

What names have you given these skills? (Still Pokemon themed? xD)

Yeah, I’ll be adding those. I found them useful in Pokemblem (but it used a different system for buffs, so I will have to edit the ASMCs a little).

So far I only made the taker skills, aptly named “Strength Taker”, “Skill Taker”, etc.