Why Three Houses Actually Sucks

This is a lowball of astronomical proportions, 1 minute and 30 seconds is slower than it takes to travel between where everyone with lost items are

one thing i definitely wanna mention is that it kinda frustrates me that ya only get 12 character spots at most for maps. sure not everyone is gonna go out of their way to recruit students from other houses, but if ya do i would appreciate the benefit of atleast having 16 or so slots to plop characters into.

2 Likes

12 is more than enough I’d say. Then again you don’t necessarily need to fill all 16 slots but anymore than using 10 units consistently I think spreads exp a little thin.

if your min maxing or optimizing certainly, i just feel having the option available for players to take larger army sizes if they like would be nice. of course given the design and layout of most of the maps any more then twelve would be excessive currently.

Yeah, that’s accurate

Genders restrictions, poor moves and materials/weapon ranks grinding.
Most important part is: never liked the appearance and purpose of " :rewind: " cuz’ “no i made a mistake so it’s rewind times” and that’s it, no tactical or anything like that.

3 Likes

Divine Pulse/Turnwheel/whatever you want to call it isn’t inherently awful. You can use it to make risky, dramatic moves more safely without the risk of “oops, i missed an 85% or got low% critted, better restart the massive chapter”, which is a pretty good use for it. That said, 3H loves to use it as an excuse for punishing you with ambush spawns/surprise traps/objective changes/other asshole moves you can’t predict in advance. That’s bad design, and whoever made that should feel bad.

6 Likes

So damn glad someone’s laid down the truth. Covers each of my grievances especially map design. One of the few good points in this game was voice acting, and the story’s tolerable, but a game’s nothing with out THE GAME. I’d take Conquest with it’s forgettable story for gameplay miles better than 3H.

3 Likes

Coming back to this thread having actually started playing 3H, I’d like to add -

The reason 3H sucks is ambush spawns. Especially move 5 ambush spawns with pass who are fast enough to double my units with steel, especially when they come after I’ve killed 90% of the enemies in the stage already. Ha ha ‘gotcha’, I guess. ‘anyone in a 5 tile radius who can’t tank these overpowered enemies is dead tee hee’ is not good gameplay, and a limited number of divine pulse charges is not a good counterpoint to them. I think Divine Pulse is actually a nice way to make longer maps less tedious, since it means you’re not completely screwed by a single mistake an hour into the map, but then throwing in gotcha bullshit just takes all of that away. Granted, you can argue this is just a mechanic countering out bad map design, and I probably wouldn’t argue with you, but as is I’ll take it.

I’ll probably have more to say about the rest of the game when I’ve played more of it. Though my current gripe with the class system is slightly inverse of Pik’s - ‘hey anyone can be anything and any class can use whatever (aside from magic) so I’m promoting every single physical attacker into a brigand for death blow’. RAAAAAGH intensifies. Also why would I ever make anyone a Priest when Mage gets fiendish blow? And it seems like every magic user ends up using both Reason and Faith anyway, because why not give them more options.

Weapon hit/avo/crit avo bonus being a skill is annoying and discourages diversification, yes. Though I might grab bows on some physical units anyway, because they’re great in this game and javelins/hand axes aren’t.

All of that said, I’ve been enjoying the game aside from the ambush spawns. The gameplay is generally very player phase focused which I really like. Enemies are scary as hell (sometimes over double my level, and that’s with some grinding) and you have a lot of different options to deal with them on player phase. Probably why I can forgive or at least tolerate a lot of the flaws.

PS: And why in the world are classes gender locked? It’s especially bad with this dark seal thing that I got for killing the overpowered death knight. I don’t even have a male magic user, and if I wanted the class just for the poison strike I’d have to get Reason C on a physical unit for absolutely no benefit given that only some classes get to use magic.

6 Likes

Yeah, but you don’t know this on a blind playthrough (I certainly didn’t). The game is actually quite wonderful if you don’t know where things are headed, especially with the class/skill system. Apart from the ambush spawns, which are garbage.

4 Likes

Classes are gender-locked because the game’s already massive enough as it is, so corners had to be cut. No idea why they would pick uh, half an hour of Bernadetta screaming her lines over a lack of gender locks, but more power to them I guess.

Edit: Can someone make a thread that goes “WHY THREE HOUSES HAS NO FLAWS”? We need balance in the world.

Not related to the topic but i wanna ask: Monsters/dragons/automaton/whatever the 4 square units is, Pavise or Aegis which ones gonna activated? (sorry for my noob English).

1 Like

Why it is garbage?

1 Like

Pavise and Aegis activate depending on what weapon you use. Pavise is meant for melee attacks like swords and gauntlets, while aegis is meant for ranged weapons like bows and spells.

1 Like

What ?
Pavise should proc when physical damage including bow.
Dragonstone and Monsterweapons are physical damage unless stated with a flag for magic damage.

2 Likes

I dunno, I can’t imagine that I’d be having more fun if I didn’t check the wiki. Let’s say I just promoted Mercedes into a Priest instead of a mage, because I wanted her to be a better healer. In the long run, I’d end up with… miracle, which is both a terrible skill and doesn’t make her any better at healing. In the end I’d just feel cheated. Why doesn’t priest give White Magic Range +1 as a mastery skill? Or White Magic Heal +5, or something that actually makes you meaningfully better at healing?

If you’re doing a ‘anyone can be any class (except for gender locks I guess)’ thing, you really need to have two things be true:

• the rewards for going one class over another should be at least somewhat comparable.
  • classes should do what they’re advertised to

As an aside, I’d like to say that the beginner classes are actually well designed. Each of them feels like they provide a useful mastery bonus (+2 to one of the important stats and a movement skill, nice), and none of them are so much better than the rest as to invalidate the others as viable choices.

3 Likes

Three Houses bad

5 Likes

It’s more fun when you don’t spoil or excessively plan everything, or have any idea where the story is going, is what I meant

2 Likes

The Three Houses sucks thread is not the correct place to post your Three Houses runs

3 Likes

I mean, the fact that there’s two Hildas on screen is proof that the game is trash, possibly. Does this normally happen?