Which vanilla FE character do you hate the most and why?

Not at all. I blatantly acknowledged that Ephraim counts as a Mary Sue as well. The sole reason why Ephraim kind of makes it work is because it fuels Lyon’s character. If it didn’t then the one and only thing that would make him more tolerable is that his game happens to be shorter.

I don’t really know why Ephraim would count as a Gary Stu. After all, he doesn’t pick fights he can’t win.

3 Likes

Most people are going to point out how he magically found his way out of being surrounded by Valter because plot contrivance, but for me it mostly has to do with the circumstances before and after it. To start with, we hear that Ephraim is managing to hold his own against Grado’s entire army soley because he’s some great tactician who exploits the terrain to make it so. I know forests are powerful terrain, but they’re not so powerful that Orson won’t get flooded with wyvern riders and die if it’s something Grado REALLY wants. Likewise, we’re also expected to believe (at least in Eirika’s route) that he managed to suicide a handful of green units from a nation with far fewer and less trained soldiers into Grado Keep and conquer it once again because he’s such a “great tactician”. Hell, the man even has a magical pet in the form of Myrrh.

4 Likes

Eirika and Ephraim should just be more developed as characters as a whole. A lot of their depth is incredibly artificial and I honestly still think ephraimmode lyon kinda screws up his narrative purpose. To the point even where I considered him as a character as a smear on the overall story of the game and rewrote him towards the end of it to appear less dumb and make it a point that the demonking is pushing his hand and just lets him talk and think he is doing it for personal amusement and to make Ephraim suffer.

Because that just makes more sence in my eyes since we are somehow supposed to feel bad for lyon on some level, even in ephraims route.

2 Likes

Overall I’d agree that Eirika’s tale is better, but there are still advantages that Ephraim’s tale has such as Chapter 19. In Eirika’s version it’s just her having to come to grips with the idea that she has to kill Lyon while Ephraim’s version has him questioning whether or not opposing Lyon is even the right thing to do.

1 Like

On the note of fe8, I hate my man Seth. He’s an amazing unit, yes, but that’s why. He kinda represents my major problem with fe8 (being that it’s so braindead easy) and he’s a literal win button you get access to in Chapter 1. Tbf, soloing the game with only him is probably a whole different thing (cause i haven’t touched fe8 enough to decide I should). Otherwise, I don’t really like his character much, mostly cause his personality is just knight mcknightson (admittedly I probably have some characters I like that can be desbribed as just that, such as Perceval) but just let me hate super strong paladin man, okay.

Character-wise: Ethlyn, master of bringing babies to the desert. Honourary mention to Lithis, as while he was clearly written to be pond scum and does a very good job of it, I don’t think that was the point of this thread so he gets off and I’m sure he’s elated at that. I haven’t played anything more recent than Sacred Stones so I can’t fully appreciate how terrible a lot of the later characters supposedly are.

Gameplay-wise: Bartre FE7. There’s a lot of worse characters gameplay-wise for sure but look at him in 6 and then look at him in 7. They absolutely massacred this gigachad by giving him the unique distinction of not doubling soldiers at base in a game known for its terrible enemy speed, and topping things off by stomping the Warrior class into the dirt by making its promo gains a joke and removing whatever merit that bows used to have.

2 Likes

This is generally a valid point. However, with Roy, I gotta haul him and his sword-locked 5 move/5 strength to every throne in the game. If I were Marcus, I would’ve left Roy to die to Bern lol

Being sword locked isn’t even a bad thing in FE6 when swords are a good weapon type. The low mov and bases sucks sure but Roy at least has moments of usefulness, particularly in Ch4 where he’s one of your best combatants. Furthermore he’s quite easy to feed kills to even during late game. I think having to ferry Roy along is an interesting dynamic to play around at fast play.

3 Likes

Swordlock is not really bad in FE6 tho. The biggest problem is that he has no compensation for his late promotion.(You know, ala having the only class with a level30-cap or something. It would not even make him too much more OP after promotion because he already kills almost everything on level1/1 anyways.)

Gale from FE6

Because you can’t recruit him in the vanilla version.

1 Like

Swordlock is worse when your combat is shaky. Sure, Rutger and Dieck are good swordlocked units, but they have capable combat out of the box. Roy has bad Str, and 6 CON. His lack of ranged options means he’s probably facing one, possibly two, rounds of combat before needing healing, unless he’s being spoon-fed kills.

Granted, he can help some in the earlygame. But you know who else helps in the earlygame? Wolt. Difference is, I can undeploy Wolt past Ch. 5. Roy ain’t giving much in the way of “useful” combat past Ch. 5 (at least until Binding Blade time), unless you’re grinding or got very lucky. He can maybe fight a few pirates in the Western Isles if absolutely needed. Which means I have 20+ chapters of hauling this lad around as literal dead-weight.

Granted, the challenge of moving him when going for fast clears can be fun. But do I credit that to him, when I have to haul him around every single playthrough? Deploy him in every chapter I play of FE6, ever? Maybe some people enjoy that aspect of having to use a bad unit everytime, like the challenge. I do not.

Oh, how I hate him so.

1 Like

You had diffrent experiences with wolt than I did, I see xD

roy is the gotoh of fe6

tbf Roy can have good Hit and Avo during Western Isles so that counts for something. Ch13 and onwards bar Ch14 has quite a few horses for him to poke as well so he can do decent chip again or clean up there too without really needing to be trained. Being able to provide C support bonuses to Alance is handy too.i feel like hating to use Roy over other Lord units who are less useful is unusual. Roy is definitely doing more than the likes of Eirika, Lyn, maybe Eliwood and FE11 Marth (combat wise). Perhaps even more than FE9 Ike considering the two has similar bases but Ike just has better growths, while being in a game where being sword locked hurts more and where chip isn’t as valuable.

2 Likes

Gameplay: Lyn
lol look at me funny lord who dies to everything
Honorable Mentions: Surtr

Character: Corrin, Peri, and Surtr
Corrin is a deified crybaby
I shouldn’t have to explain Peri
Surtr is just Garon but without the stuff that made Garon fun to meme about

Character: Lyn
NOTHING in the story of FE7 wound of been different without her being their, she is the most useless lord in every Fire Emblem game, only being carried by her personal sword

1 Like

What worries me is that people are going to use her existence to justify bad timeskips in their hack stories.

Well, it is not like FE7 is that great storywise anyways. Many people actually prefer Lyns story because of the writing.(And no, not opening the can of “FE7 bad”. Just saying people prefer the writing.)

2 Likes

Camilla because of two very big reasons. Honorable mention to Corrin. I kinda dislike everything from Fates in general.

2 Likes